The **Official** Fate of Padme Thread

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ObiMcD, Aug 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    Nice post, Scrufyy. You summed up my feelings, as well. Padmé is too important a character to have her fate unresolved. If she doesn't die on-screen, the fans will buy the book or whatever that explains her death, but it's not fair to the general audience to do that. I agree that she needs to die in Ep. 3 to adequetely and effectively complete the SW story.
  2. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Current rumor has it that Padme is off limits to the EU authors according to GL...
    That's what I've been seeing around JCFs as of late...

Thats' what I hear anyway.....
  3. Scruffy-looking Jedi Knight

star 3
    Current rumor has it that Padme is off limits to the EU authors according to GL...
    That's what I've been seeing around JCFs as of late...

Obviously no EU novel or guide can touch on Padme's fate (how that affects Tatooine Ghost, I don't know). Probably means we won't see any stories between AOTC and Ep 3 with her (or anything else dealing with the Clone Wars?) in it either.

For those who don't want to see Padme die on screen in Ep 3, would an EU novel about the fate of Padme be preferred? Personally, I would rather GL wrap up her story, but I'm interested in hearing opposing opinions.
  4. faubert Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have been thinking about this and I really think that if you closly examine the character of Padme though out the three flims you wiil see her fate.

When we first meet Padme she is one of 5 handmaidens. To the Jedi and the galaxy she is nothing. She is ordered to clean R2.

But as the flim goes on we become more interested in her. The QUeen selects Padme to go with Qui-Gon to learn about the planet.

But she is still a handmaiden. She gives her opinion but is ingored by Qui-Gon.

On coursant she stands behind the Queen and is sent on a mysterious errand.

But as the flim ends we learn that Padme is really QUeen Amidala.

Now lets turn to AOTC.

Padme is now Seantor Padme AMidala. She falls in love and becomes Anakins wife.

Now my theory on what happens in Ep 3

My theory is that AOTC begins PAdme's fall. In the begining of the flim she is a powerful Seantor. Involved in the major issue of the galaxy. The formation of an army.

But though the flim she has to go into hiding on Naboo and then goes to Tattonie with Anakin and becomes involved in the battle.

At the end of AOTC we see that although She is married to Anakin she has really loss influence.

The clone army exisits.

In EP 3 I predict that we will see Padme and Anakin liviing on Naboo. There marriage has been discovered and Anakin is out of the Jedi Order and Padme is on tempoary leave from the Senate due to her pregnancy

Anakin had to leave because of the upcoming war. Padme is contacted my Bal Organa to attend a meetingabout concerns about Palpatine.

This could be the start of the rebelion in the OT.

During the flim Anakin is told that Padme is dead and that the Jedi killed her because they fear that he and his children will change the galaxy.

THis causes Anakin to go into a rage and finds Obi-Wan and fight him. Just before he loses An angry Nakin can throw his lightsaber and say give it to my children who you helped kill.

THis would fit Obi-wans line to Luke "Your father wanted you to have this." ANakin did say it but not in the way Obi_Wan meant it in ANH.

Back to Padme.

The galaxy assumes that Padme was murdered by the Jedi cauing the galaxy to turn on the Jedi. Padme becomes a heroine of the NEW empire.

Palatine could have this big funeral for Padme on COursant and thats wne we first meet VADER. He isnt called ANakin but anyone watching the flims know who he is.

As the funeral goes on Padme starts to give birth. She gives birth to two children. Luke goes with Obi_Wan to Tattonie.

Padme takes Leia to live on Aldern and becomes a handmaiden again. She serves Bal's wife the QUeen. Part of her duties is to take care of the Queen's new daughter LEIA. We also learn that the reason why Padme doesn't raise Luke and Leia on Naboo is because she is dying.

She lives on Alderan which has advanced medical technology and everyone will try to save her.

THat way when we have the line in ROTJ we know that Padme died just like she was told in EP 3.

And with it being so mysterious it can be expaned in the EU.
  5. sabor_slaugther_808 Jedi Padawan

I agree. Padme cant die in episode 3 unless it skips from year to year. Leia has to be old enough to remember her mother and that she was sad and old enough to Know what emotions are
  6. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    It is clear that Padmé dies during birth. They said that in ROTJ, if I am not mistaken.
  7. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    All they said about Pamdé in RotJ was that she died when Luke and Leia were 'very young.' However, since Leia has a few fleetingly memories of her mother, I'd assume Padmé does not die during birth. Rather, she spends some time with Leia while Luke is hidden on Tatooine, but is then killed near the end of the movie by Palpatine or Vader.
  8. WMCoolmon Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm wondering if Lucas will actually make it clear in the PT that Luke and Leia are Padme's children, because that would take away a LOT of the surprise in the OT when Vader reveals he's Luke's father.

Just my .02 cents :)
  9. DarthMonopolus Jedi Knight

star 1
    SHE DOESN'T DIE!!!!
    If any of you have read comments from Rick McCullum and Lucas, She gives birth to the Skywalker Twins at the END of Episode 3 and then Obi-wan delivers Luke to the Beru family on Tatooine. (Although I won't tell you what PLANET she has the twins on, that would be a SPOILER and a half)
    This of course leaves it totally open to give the impression that she is a brken person in the sense that her husbad and the one she loves is "more machine now than man".

Oh, by the way, Lucas started shooting for Epsiode 3 while they were still in Tunesia, from filming Episode 2.
    The reason he did this was because Lucas new that crew would never go back to Tunesia again, except for one scene, this is the FINAL scene in Episode 3 where Obi-wan delivers Luke to the Beru family, this is supposed to be the scene immediately following the birth of the Skywalker twins.

If this is too much of a spoiler, I'm sorry, but I needed to bring this up to prove my point, I don't deal with thoery, I deal with fact.

10. PruneF8ce Jedi Master

star 4
    For the people that believe Anakin will kill Padme, that would just be messed up. Take a look at AOTC again. I see no way in hell that he would ever lay a hand on her. EVER.
  11. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    No, Anakin would not kill Padmé. But Darth Vader isn't Anakin. It takes 20+ years for Anakin to finally come back from the Dark Side; his feelings were burried completely. If he had reason to (if Palpatine tells him to, if he thinks Padmé betrayed him, etc) I think Vader would kill Padmé. Anakin killed innocent children and he hadn't even fallen to the Dark Side yet.

But I think it's quite possible could be killed by someone else, like Palpatine. But I truly believe she will be killed in Ep. 3. Granted the twins do have to be born, but it's easy to believe she gives birth somewhat near the end of the film, the children are hidden and then she is killed. I just can't see George leaving her story hanging.

DarthMonopolus, it's common knowledge that that scene was filmed in Tunisia. That doesn't mean it's the final scene however. No where has anyone said that. Here's the exact quote on that scene in Tunisia:

Jun 06, 2001; OS Making of Ep2 Video about location shooting with an emphasis on using Tunisia for Tatooine: Lucas is asked out of nowhere while on the Tunisia set, "So why did you shoot a scene from Episode III today?" He responds with "you'll have to wait six years to find out", but then he goes into a bit more detail. He says that it's the only shot he'd need for Episode III at the Tunisia location, and shooting it now makes more sense than packing up a crew of 60 people down the line. When asked what he'll do if he ends up needing more shots in Tunisia, he replies "I'll go and get 'em." (Note: he was beginning filming of Ep2, so 6 years away is the release of Ep3, makes sense.)

Taken from the JUST THE FACTS - Everything Officially Confirmed About EpIII thread by G-S.

So a scene has been filmed, but it doesn't mean it's the last scene nor does it imply that Padmé will not die.
  12. DarthMonopolus Jedi Knight

star 1
    When you consider that Padme gives birth to the twins (on a planet that will go unamed for now) and then the last scene is supposed to be Obi-Wan handing Luke over to the Beru Family I think that information is correct.

You can verify that from the website I got that information from www.supershadow.com

Besides think about it, what else would be left to happen in the movie, She gives birth to the twins and then it transitions into Obi-Wan on Tatooine giving Luke to the Beru's what else is there to have happen?
  13. JEDI-ANAKIN Jedi Knight

star 1
    I dont think Anakin would let that happen to his Padma I'm sure he would do something to stop Lord Sidious. Look at mine in the ep3 reply of how it should end and maybe you would i agree with what i say OBIMCD.
  14. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    When you consider that Padme gives birth to the twins (on a planet that will go unamed for now) and then the last scene is supposed to be Obi-Wan handing Luke over to the Beru Family I think that information is correct.

The thing is, Ep. 3 has not been filmed except for that one scene on Tatooine. The movie has not been edited together; there is no last scene yet because there is no movie yet.

Additionally, the only things that are known about Ep. 3 are things that have been officially released. It has not been leaked yet where the twins are born. There are rumors, surely, but no facts yet. There are few facts on anything.

We do know however that James Earl Jones is being used in the last five minutes of Ep. 3 or so. The last scenes will probably be about Vader more than anything.

I'm not saying I know Padmé will die; this could go either way. The thing is no one knows at this point, for sure. Nothing has been leaked yet at all; only scant official information.
  15. Scruffy-looking Jedi Knight

star 3
    This just recently occurred to me: everyone who is close to Anakin--Qui-Gon, the man who found him; Shmi, his mother; Obi-Wan, his mentor; even Palpatine, his evil Master ;)--all die.

Doesn't bode well for the Senator from Naboo... :(
  16. Scruffy-looking Jedi Knight

star 3
    (sorry, deleted for redundancy)
  17. Scruffy-looking Jedi Knight

star 3
  18. Real_Anakin Jedi Knight

star 1
    I more thonk that she will be kill by Dooku, so Darth vador will kill him.
  19. azzgonjinn Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was also originally thinking of vader letting padme die of sith lightning, but i dont think vader would let that happen (as even by episode 6 there is some good in him) but yes, padme will meet her fate by the end of ep 3, as if you watched the series in order, and luke and leias mum has suddenly disappeared, and u dont know her fate till the very last episode would be quite silly.
  20. Queenie Amidala Force Ghost

star 5
    She'll die, but it won't be by Vader. AOTC focused on establishing just how strong his love for her was. The chances are much greater that her death will be used to turn him, rather than occur at his hand. I would have a hard time believing that he would be able to do something to hurt her.

We're going in circles, here. I wish there were a different theory to touch upon.
  21. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    My theory is that Anakin leaves her behind. He's lured to the dark side out of Palpatine's lure, and his impatience with Kenobi's training regime that he feels he's outgrown. I feel Padme was placed in Anakin's life for him to have attachments that lead to those uncontrollable feelings and emotions that he can't free himself of. By the time AOTC rolls around, he's already a basket case.

Once he's expelled from the Jedi Order, or he grows tired of Obi-Wan, he'll dance to a brand new theme and choose the less difficult path. Once he's done that he'll be in command of the Jedi Purge, and he'll love the freedom of dictatorship of being on the winning side.

When he's transformed by Palpatine into Vader, he'll renounce the name Anakin Skywalker, renounce Padme, and everything else that was apart of Anakin Skywalker. This is what I believe makes Padme sad. The fact that the Republic is no more, the fact that Anakin is gone, and the fact that she can't live without him.
  22. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I have a few questions I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on.

First, how is it that Vader does know about Luke? Does he find out about him in Ep. 3? If he knew Padmé was pregnant with a boy, wouldn't the pregnancy be far enough along to tell it's twins? Or does it someone by mistake tell Anakin in Ep. 3 about his son?

Additionally, why is it Luke goes to Tatooine and Leia to Alderaan? My thinking would be that since Vader somehow finds out about Luke, he's taken to the more isolated planet, a planet where Vader wouldn't want to return to b/c of what had happened to him there. And since Vader doesn't know about Leia, she's hidden in a less discreet place.
  23. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    First, how is it that Vader does know about Luke? Does he find out about him in Ep. 3? If he knew Padmé was pregnant with a boy, wouldn't the pregnancy be far enough along to tell it's twins? Or does it someone by mistake tell Anakin in Ep. 3 about his son?

Additionally, why is it Luke goes to Tatooine and Leia to Alderaan? My thinking would be that since Vader somehow finds out about Luke, he's taken to the more isolated planet, a planet where Vader wouldn't want to return to b/c of what had happened to him there. And since Vader doesn't know about Leia, she's hidden in a less discreet place.

Vader found out about Luke Skywalker between ANH and ESB. He felt the strong presence of Luke during the battle of Yavin. Then later on when Luke's popularity grows, news gets back to Vader and he adds one plus one.

Sometimes you can't tell if a woman is pregnant with twins. Some people who are around Padme may know that she's pregnant but not with twins. By the time Episode III comes around, there will be no use telling Anakin he has a son or daughter because he will have probably turned by the time they are born. The twins are better off without him in their lives and so is the galaxy better off too.

Tatooine is out of the way. Like I said in another post, Tatooine is remote and out of the reaches of the Republic/Imperial territories. Plus Padme knows Anakin will never return there because of slavery, and his mother dying. He only has a family that he could probably care less about. So she probably goes with Obi-Wan to bring Luke there.

But I do think he'll return there one more time before he goes to the dark side but Obi-Wan comes and gets him and he follows Kenobi on same damn idealistic crusade....
  24. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    Vader found out about Luke Skywalker between ANH and ESB. He felt the strong presence of Luke during the battle of Yavin. Then later on when Luke's popularity grows, news gets back to Vader and he adds one plus one. .

While I've heard that as well, that's according to the EU. Lucas changed the EU by making Owen Anakin's stepbrother as opposed to Obi-Wan's brother, and this could be changed as well. Obviously it could remain that Vader didn't know about his son at all until ANH, but it is possible he'd find out in Ep. 3.
  25. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    The official site says that Anakin/Vader never knew he was to be a father. That means as far as Lucas is concerned, ANAKIN KNOWS NOTHING.

You people splitting hairs about "he didn't know he was the father of twins" have a thin argument, and you're missing a big point. Yes, it's possible Lucas could decide "he knew she was pregnant, but not with twins," or he could change the whole thing and have him know about both of them. People who want Anakin's identity kept a secret say that "the video packages will be changed," since they give away the fact that Anakin=Vader. But the very fact that it was published the way it is shows that Lucas considers it to be common knowledge, and it's unlikely he will try to stuff that cat back in the bag. Similarly, Lucas's official position at the moment is that Vader knew of neither Luke nor Leia. He could change it, but you have no evidence that he will. You are merely projecting onto him your hope that it will be changed.

Secondly, Padme has to die to give closure to her character. She is a major character in the prequels, right up there with Anakin and Obi-Wan. She doesn't appear, nor is she ever mentioned in ANH or ESB. Only in ROTJ is she ever mentioned. If you watch I-III first, and she doesn't die, the audience will think she's alive on Alderaan during ANH, and not find out the truth until later. That's deceptive. The audience has to know that she is dead when they see Episode IV, and the simplest way to let them know is to show it happening.

Leia's memory means nothing in GFFA. She claims she's always known she was Luke's sister, and Luke, while he doesn't remember Padme, DOES remember Dagobah. And Leia spent more time with Padme. Remember, she and Padme traveled to Alderaan together, while Luke was taken directly to Tattooine, probably solely in the custody of Obi-Wan. That transit time can make a difference.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.