main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The **Official** Fate of Padme Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ObiMcD, Aug 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I would speculate that Palpatine kills Padme, but blames it on the Jedis. This strategy would really anger Anakin and cause him to hate the Jedis...thus greatly facilitating the great Ani's inversion to the dark side [face_devil]

2. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    I suppose it would be ideal if Palpatine could blame it on the Jedi, but I have a hard time imagining how that would be portrayed on screen. More likely is that the Jedi prevent Anakin from coming to her aid; perhaps she's captured by Dooku, and for some reason they fail to let him get involved in the rescue? Hmm, that doesn't sound too good either.

Actually, Palpatine doesn't have to blame the Jedi for her death. Just the very fact that she is dead will drive him completely insane. Faced with a berzerk, out of control Anakin, the Jedi will try to comfort him, or expel him from the Order. I doubt anything they could say would make him feel better, so either way her death will have such an impact on him he'll leave the Jedi, and guess who will be there, waiting for him?

3. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I believe there is a scenario where Anakin could kill Padme, though more as manslaughter than murder. She's already shown that she see's him turning to the darkside in the look on her face when he tells her about killing the sandpeople. And when she gets pregnant, and seeing him turning more and more to the darkside (as we know he will under Palpatine's influence), she will try to hide the pregnancy from Anakin, maternal instincts and all. Now to Anakin, she's the only person who's always loved him and believed in him except for his mother. For her to betray him, in his eyes anyway, could be the final straw that totally flips him over to the darkside. In a fit of rage, he could easily kill/mortally injure Padme before he realizes what happened. Of course this is all theory, and just a scenario.

4. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    "I would speculate that Palpatine kills Padme, but blames it on the Jedis. This strategy would really anger Anakin and cause him to hate the Jedis...thus greatly facilitating the great Ani's inversion to the dark side "

Even more tragic, in a Shakesperian way, would be if Palpatine claims this, but that Padme actually survived but is forced into hiding to protect her unborn (or infant) children, leaving Anakin thinking she died as the result of some Jedi action or inaction, leading him down the path to the Dark Side.

Have fun!

5. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Just because I want her to, I KNOW for a fact she won't die. Nothing I wish for ever happens. So, don't expect a nice tragic death.

6. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    And what about the following quote on sci-fi.com's site from Sam J.:

Beware official spoiler...

"We were just talking about stuff," Jackson said. "And then [Lucas] finally said, 'Okay, so you know you've got to die. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to kill you yet, because I guess you're the most important guy that's going to die. In the other ones, Obi Wan is still there and Yoda's still alive and Darth is still there.' So I become the most important character that can die. I guess it's got to be pretty dynamic. So he's working that out." (Samuel L. Jackson, sci-fi.com, Oct. 7, 2002)

End official spoiler.

What about Padme? Is this a hint, or just a gross simplification of the situation?

7. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I, personally, take it as a hint. I see it this way, I'm assuming that the twins will be born in ep.3, maybe not, but not, but this is a guess. Leia mentions in ROTJ that she has a couple meomories of her mother, not specific ones at that, but they are there. Now, it leia was just a newborn baby when her mothers dies, could she remeber that? Personally I don't think people can remeber things from being a couple of months or even weeks old, Years, yes.

So that is what has lead me to believe that Padme does not actually die in ep.3

8. Madame_Jocasta_Nu

Madame_Jocasta_Nu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2001
    IMHO, it's just gross simplification, e.g. Lucas was probably discussing Jedi specifically so the quote doesn't apply to Padmé.

Lucas is also on record for having said that he knows how the mother of Luke and Leia will die. Something like "Do you know already how [the mother] dies?" "Yes."

9. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    I also think it's an oversimplification, though I'll also point out that just because Lucas says he knows *how* Padme will die, that doesn't mean we'll get to see it!

10. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I still believe Padmé has to die, on-screen or off-screen, during Ep. 3. If she doesn't, the movies don't make sense. People are going to be introduced to them in order after Ep. 3 is released, and it'll make little sense if Padmé survives Ep. 3 but then they're no mention or site of her at all in ANH. It would be completely illogical from a storytelling point of view to leave the fate of such an important character hanging like that.

11. Tool_of_Vader

Tool_of_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2002
    Cow Girl's pretty much nailed it. I can't remember anything before my 4th birthday so unless Padme can have the kids (including the pregnency) in secret away from anakin, let the kids grow up a bit, and THEN die all in 2 - 2 1/2 hours then it's not likely that she's going to die in ep III. There has been lots of talk about Mace dying (letterman last week for example) but nothing about amidala.

Terminal injury? Illness? Suicide? (a little far fetched, but if your husband went to the dark side and became genocidal wouldn't you be sad? "kind, but... sad") something for the EU to have a go at? I think that the time factor would preclude her from dying in ep III. I would say that another film needs making, ep III.1, there's just so much to cover in about 2 hours...

12. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    It's a pure fact padme HAS to die! Why?

1. In TMP Qui-Gon says he thinks someone what's to kill her

2. In AotC someone what's to kill here

3. that someone is Palpatine - obvious

4. In ep3 Dooku kills Padme -> Anakin goes mad and turns to the dark side.

What happens to the twins is rather clouded to me. I guess we won't see much of Leai or only be getting a hit to here existence (Like a Last scene were yoda delivers a child to bail saying to keep her save). Luke however is known by his father. So maybe Anakin duels Obi wan to get Luke back cauz' Obi wan wants to take him away?

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    That's awesome, TFD! :D

About the twins, what I'd like to see is Jar Jar sacrifice himself in order to protect the twins (although I'm not the one who came up with the idea).

GO 'CLONES!

14. ArtisticGrief

ArtisticGrief Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2002
    The whole situation between Padme, Anakin, and the twins to me is extremely complicated at this point. Assuming that Anakin left Padme and turned to the dark side (as I've read and believed for some time) before he knew that she was pregnant, then Padme would only become impregnated in EIII. If she was far enough along in her pregnancy to actually give birth in EIII, ANYONE would be able to tell she was pregnant, including Anakin. The whole conception-only theory would mean that Luke and Leia are not born in EIII, but are simply implied, which I don't think will happen. I honestly believe that we will see Luke and Leia as newborns in this next movie, and that their separation will be a highly dramatic scene in which Obi-Wan and Padme part ways with the twins, knowing that they will probably never see eachother again. As you can see, I have two contridictory positions here. I'm beginning to wonder if GL will do with EIII what he hasn't done with any other SW movie and have a chronological jump in time (i.e. "nine months later"). This just doesn't seem like GL though. As for Padme's death, I think that will only be foreshadowed heavily towards the end, for one reason. Leia remembers bits and pieces of her mother in ROTJ. If Luke and Leia ARE only infants in EIII (and if Padme does die in EIII) there's no way she could remember the things she did, such as her mother being beautiful, kind, but sad. Padme obviously holds onto Leia for a while after she is separated from Luke. If Padme gave up Leia at the same time as Luke, then Luke would've remembered the same things Leia did. Maybe Padme will try to hold onto Leia herself, but after a couple years, the threat to her and her daughters' lives grow so perilous that she has no choice but to hand Leia over to someone else. But again, unless GL is going to use a gap in time in EIII, this won't happen, because nothing like that can be foreshadowed so much. Or maybe Padme goes to live with Bail Organa and his wife for some reason with her identity as Leia's mother safe between the three of them. Still there would need to be some kind of foreshadowing of how she's going to die. I think there's a possibility that a bounty could be placed on her head, since she could strongly oppose Palpatine's New Order for the Galaxy, and that she's eventually killed. At this point in time though, the only things I really believe are that she holds onto Leia for at least a couple of years, and that her death is tragically foreshadowed. As for the chronology gap, I don't see it happening, yet I can't think of any other way Lucas can pull this movie off without it. Let me know what you guys think.

15. PsychoRabbit

PsychoRabbit Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2002
    She better die onscreen. I know it sounds evil but I think it would just be a huge smack in the face if her fate was unrevealed or left up to imaginations or added into some DVD set. Even worse if she turns out to be an existing character.

16. PsychoRabbit

Nov 2, 2002
    She better die onscreen. I know it sounds evil but I think it would just be a huge smack in the face if her fate was unrevealed or left up to imaginations or added into some DVD set. Even worse if she turns out to be an existing character.

17. PsychoRabbit

Nov 2, 2002

18. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    @ArtisticGrief:

1. Padme's pregnancy is only known to Anakin.

2. It's Dooku in Ep2 that wants Padme dead

3. Dooku sneaks in and kills padme, noticing that she's given birth to a child

4. Anakin being temporarily gone together with Obi-Wan get's back home and sees Padme dead

5. Goes mad and follows Dooku who has taken the child

6. Obi wan warns Yoda and tries to help anakin

(7. Yoda goes to Padme's house and find another Child (proably hidden by Padme))

(8. Yoda turns Leai to Bail)

9. Anakin kills dooku and turns to the dark side

10. Obi wan and Mace try to stop Anakin - Mace get's killed and Anakin beaten-up so Obi wan can take the child away from the emperor

11. Anakin turns into DV

12. Obi wan goes to Yoda and deside to give Luke to Anakin's stephbrother

Note on 7: we don't need to see Leia, maybe just Yoda walking in and hearing a child's sound.

Note on 8: Yoda giving Bail something that looks like a baby saying 'keep her safe'. That way Obi wan wouldn't know about Leia - only Yoda. Neither would Anakin cauz' he chases Dooku thinking he has his only child.

Note on 4: Maybe Anakin and Obi wan noticed Dooku sneaking away during the battle between the Empire and the Republic heading for the unprotected Padme?

Obvious I know as less as you do :D

19. amidala008

amidala008 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2002
    I don't want her to die, but I guess it's her fate. Anyway, I think here are my comments on her "life":
    -she is the one who led Anakin to the dark side. It is her own faul,too. But she never meant it to happen.
    -she doesn't deserve to marry bail organa (if ever in epIII). She is destined to marry someone better...
    -The fate of Padme is miserable.
    -She should at least show up in episode 6 like the other jedi's...even if she's not a jedi.
    -she should have seduced Anakin back to the good side!
    That's all!

20. Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Here's a vote for her remaining alive. I think faubert had a brilliant idea. The idea that such a powerful and influential figure fades into obscurity is awesome, story-wise, at least in my opinion. As others have said in this thread, she is the only character that does not deserve her fate. She sees everything and everyone she cared about fall apart, and does not live to see the happy ending. At least if she died, her torment would be over. By her surviving, it's somehow worse, and more tragic, isn't it? One can assume that the seeds of rebellion are planted through her, and she is later redeemed, and lives on, through her children.

It would touch something in me if it happened that way. Simply brilliant.

21. fishdog

fishdog Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2002
    What if Dooko killed Padme?

What if that enraged Anakin to the point where he himslef killed Dooko?

Using the Darkside to do so, and then tanking dooko's place at the Emps side?

22. ObiWanAragorn

ObiWanAragorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    I think that the death of Padme will have something to do with Anakin's turning to the Dark Side.

In AOTC, Nute Gunray seemed pretty intent on wanting Padme to die. Maybe he'll finally get his wish in Episode III and have something to do with Padme's death.

23. Dentarthurdent

Dentarthurdent Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2003
    My personal theory?

Episode III will have a storyline that very much parallels ROTJ.

Dooku, in Anakin's presence, appears to kill Padme. However, there is ambiguity. For example, Anakin witnesses Dooku give the order to fire on a ship carrying Padme, which explodes. Anakin, seething, is held by Dooku. However, the pregnant Padme has escaped. Darth Sidious arranges a duel between Tyranus and Anakin, very much like the duel of Vader and Luke years later. But when Anakin has Tyranus disarmed and helpless, HE KILLS HIM. With this act, killing the helpless Dooku, he is truly Vader. At this point, Sidious reveals himself to Anakin as Palpatine, and offers him a place at his side. Anakin at first flees in anger and disbelief, but when Obi-Wan, having learned of his relationship with Padme confronts him later, they have their duel, Anakin falls into the lava, and Palpatine saves him. In the closing minutes of the film, Vader will be shown in his final form.

This is my theory, and while it is incomplete, Im hoping that there are strong parallels to the climactic ROTJ duel.

24. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I think Padme will definately die in episode III. Here is an interesting idea i heard- that she will die during labor. But I don't think so. I believe Palpatine will kill her and tell Anakin that Obi wan killed her, which will lead eventually lead to Anakin's downfall.

25. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Padme will die and Nute Gunray will kill her.

Nute's motivation has been established in TPM & AOTC. By the end of AOTC he was ready to kill her himself.

And he will, in Episode 3.

As a result, Anakin will turn to the darkside. He will unleash his fury on Nute, Dooku, the separatists, and anyone else who gets in his way - including Obi-wan, who tries to save him.

With one stroke Padme dies, Dooku dies, the separatist threat is thwarted, and the chosen one - the hero of the clone wars - becomes a dark lord of the sith and Palpatine's right hand man ...

Everything just as Palpatine planned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.