main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The **Official** Fate of Padme Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ObiMcD, Aug 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    "Thanks Aesop, and I agree with some of your points as well. Padme has been a ***big*** thorn of Palpatine's side since the beginning, stopping or more like stalling his efforts at every turn (her efforts on her home planet of Naboo in Episode 1 and her opposition to the military creation act in Episode 2), I think ultimately that its going to be him, indirectly who will cause the demise of Padme. He may act like he loves her with all his being (a big phony, I fake gag every time I see the scene when he persuades her to have a jedi to protect her after her assasination attempt in the beginning of AOTC and talks of his supposed concern of her), but he really hates her and would love and probably cannot wait until she is out of the way so he can proceed with his plans of controlling the galaxy."

I certainly agree with that, couldn't have said it better myself. However, I don't agree that she will die with Anakin by her side. Better for Palpatine to be able to inform Anakin with his own biased/twisted/false information, rather than having Anakin see everything for himself, if Palpatine is behind Padme's death.

2. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    I don't think she will die in III. How is Lucas going to explain Leia remembering her mother?

But alas, if anyone is going to do it, it's going to be Nute or Dooku for sure.

So do most of you believe in the next film Jar Jar will be the senator? B/c I think that when Palpatine reveals himself he will unlease the storm troopers on the senate and all will perish, including Jar Jar.

3. SWadmirer

SWadmirer Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2003
    Leia said she remembers feelings, images really of her real mother, that she was very beautiful, kind, but sad, when she answered Luke's question, things that could easily be shown by Lucas in Ep 3 and still show Padme's end. This is fantasy and as such reality of things dont have to apply at all, she has the force from birth and as such if Padme and Leia spend even a brief moment together, like this scenario (purely a theory on my end),she has given away Luke as soon as he was born, but hangsonto to Leia for a few moments longer, but shee knows she has part with her daughter soon as well and go off maybe to try to stop Palpatine (assuming she finds out about Palpatine and his lying and manipulate plans) and save the old Republic from falling apart not knowing if she will survive this, so she says her goodbyes to Leia and she looks down at her and looks beautiful but sad, that right there could make what Leia said in ROTJ ring true.

Babies and children with the force it seems can retain images and feelings of their parents if they spend time, however brief, no matter how young they are, so maybe that is why the old Jedi Order took force senisitve babies from their parents almost immediately after birth, so they will have virtually no connections or attachements of their parents whatsoever which could happen especially if they spend even a minimal time with the parent, at least that is my view on it.

She is just too big and important a character not to show fully what happened to her and I think that is one of the reasons why the PT were done in the first place, first and foremost to show how and why Anakin turned to the dark side and became Darth Vader and the reasons behind it, how the evil Empire began, why the old jedi Order became destroyed and also I feel whatever happened to Luke and Leia's mother.

Like I satated earlier I think Episode 3 is going to be the reverse of Return of the Jedi in that this movie most of the good guys will die and I think its not going to be just the good Jedi who gets it so to speak. Thats why I think Lucas made that comment that this one is going to be very dark and may alienate some fans of Star Wars, because when all is said and done, at the ending of this movie, it will look and seem like evil had triumphed and won completely and that is something that is movie is going to be very different from all the other 5, because in those, in the end, the forces of good has always won.

I think Palpatine ultimately will be behind it, for two reasons, one she is a big block in his plans to rule the galaxy and two he knows that she is the one person that is keeping Anakin from fully turning, at least that is my opinion, and he could use her death to maipulate an angry and emotionally charged Anakin into doing exactly what he wishes and thereby controlling him.

Nute Gunray deisres very much to do so and may be the one to cause her death but he does seems like a bungler and also a coward like Aesop pointed out so now Im not so sure.

4. bwallace2

bwallace2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2003
    So do most of you believe in the next film Jar Jar will be the senator? B/c I think that when Palpatine reveals himself he will unlease the storm troopers on the senate and all will perish, including Jar Jar.

No, in ANH Tarkin announces to the assembled staff on the Death Star that the Emperor has finally dissolved the Imperial Senate. In fact, Leia is (or was) as Senator, so that makes me believe there is no Congressional purge like they use against the Jedi at that earler time.

Will Jar Jar still be a Senator? Well, he's the Gungans representative to the Senate, but I don't think he would ever be the sole Naboo representative.

Another point about Jar Jar - he is really the only pure innocent in the whole PT, at least in terms of the greater galactic events. I think one of Anakin's final steps to succumbing to the Dark Side is to kill Jar Jar - it won't be the final step, nor the most graphic, but it may be the most damning. Here's a character who's been nothing but friends to Anakin and the whole group - I would believe that, similarly to AOTC, he will be given a great responsibility...

In AOTC he was asked by Padme to temporarily represent Naboo in the Senate, but - being an innocent - is led astray by Palpatine and provides a key proposal to create the army. Partly by his naivete', Palpatine's plot is advanced.

I think he will be given a chance to redeem himself in Episode III - that of a protector of Padme or the twins, and Anakin will see him as simply an obstacle, and kill him.

Senselessly, shockingly, and without pity. It may be one of the most shocking moments of the movie, as well.

This time, however, he will have sacrificed his life to allow Padme and/or the twins to escape and will redeem himself.

What a mirror! Young Anakin and Jar Jar - both innocents caught up in forces they don't understand and aren't mature enough to deal with. One chooses the Dark Side, the other chooses self-sacrifice and death, and both coincide at that fateful moment.

5. bwallace2

bwallace2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2003
  6. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Padme fate will be hopefully resolved in this movie. It is highly unlikely that such a character should die off screen. However-originally Yoda was going to die "off screen" unil the Director fought to keep Yoda's death in the movie.

We are also making the assumption of the age of the children. We don't know how many years have passed from Episode II to Episode III

7. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    Rick McCallum states that Episode III should be between 2-3 years after Episode II. And Nataline Portman has confirmed that Padme will be pregnant in Episode III...

8. Iconic

Iconic Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    She might just go live with Bail Organa as some low profile kitchen staff worker or something.

Anything is possible, but her death isn't very probable. that will probably be covered in novels or comics. Then again, George Lucas could surprise us... ?[face_plain]

9. amydala

amydala Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2003
    i agree. i want to know how padme dies. she has been such a prominent character in the prequels that just letting her character die somewhere in between episodes 3 and 4 leaves an unbearable hole in the story.

10. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    I agree. Her death could cause the final push for Anakin to the dark side.
    That, or she and Anakin starts to drift further and further away from each other.
    I don´t know what would be most tragical,
    Padmé dies before or after Anakin´s transformation.

Or maybe it´s Anakin who causes her death.
    Palpatine could set something up, some separatist problem that will ultimately cause Padmés death, Anakin is send to fix it, and the mission, as planned, result in her death without him knowing it.
    Anakin just finds out that she is dead and he suffers in complete despair. Palp/Sidious later tells him all about it, how the separatists set the trap. With the knowledge of this, the death of his beloved wife caused by himself he starts his final steps towards the dark side. He partly blames the jedi, and his hate for Dooku and the separatists gets (if possible) even bigger.
    Maybe Palp, to trigger Anakin some more, tells him that the Jedi "sarificed" Padmé just to get rid of the separatists, and that he can help Anakin have his revenge on both the Jedi and the seppie´s.
    Oops, that´s another topic.

11. KNIRE_DARK

KNIRE_DARK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    My solution to all of this:

I'm of the mind that we don't actually have to SEE Padme die, we simply have to know that her death is coming, be it by some form of poison, a disease, irrevocable damage from childbirth, whatever. We just have to know that she'll be kicking the bucket soon. That's when we whip out the montage. It might not be Lucas' style, but something's gotta give for this movie to tell half the story it wants to in the time it's been given to be told.

So we intersperse the montage with footage of maybe Padme rocking Leia to sleep as the orange hue of the sun lights Padme and Leia's faces and Padme looks "beautiful but sad," or maybe Padme playing with Leia. Anything to show mother and daughter interacting as time passes. Then cut in some footage of Vader (the music could be scored to fit this as well, like in AOTC where the Imperial March blends into Across the Stars at the end). After the Vader segment is wrapped up, Across the Stars crescendos and we see Bail Organa holding Leia in his arms beside Dorme (or whoever he marries) and placing flowers on a grave marker or tombstone bearing Padme's name. There's your decisive end to Padme's character right there.

Now of course, I am also of the mind that Vader should think Padme is dead, even though she isn't. It would make it more of a Greek/Shakespearean tragedy that way, and while most detest the idea (including myself) that Vader's entire reason for being evil in the OT has been a lie all along (if that truly is the case, tho I don't think Padme's death alone is what turns him). I think this should be GL ultimate masterpiece that redeems him in the eyes of those who've lost faith in him where the PT is concerned. This could wash away the bad taste the PT has left in the mouths of countless critics (not that anyone gives a damn about'em anyway...even tho many uniformily loved AOTC) and fans of the series who've felt shortchanged by the Flaneled One. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, and regardless of how it turns out, I'm sure GL will give us the masterpiece we've been waiting for.

12. MOSEP

May 22, 2002
    I definitely want to see her die.
    The Shakespearean style won´t be enough if you ask me.
    I want total darkness, and that demands Padme´s death.
    First Anakin´s mother dies, and then his wife.
    Who wouldn´t turn to the dark side after that?

13. PadmeSolo00

PadmeSolo00 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Ok My thoughts,

Padme is a very infulncal charater to Ani's falling to the dark side. I think that her death is what will finally bring Ani to become Darth Vader. We already saw him give in to anger in Esp II, when his mother was killed. If Padme was killed, and then Luke taken from him, that will be the ultimate straw for him, (at least I think so) I'm hoping GL won't cop out and give a crappy explaition as to what happens to Padme.... He's disapointed me thus far.....

14. KNIRE_DARK

Jun 18, 2002
    Okay, so I was watching ROTJ today and Vader says something very contradictary in his duel with Luke:

(After he learns of Leia)

"Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me."

I thought Obi-Wan had no knowledge of Leia until ESB when Yoda gave him the 411 (at least that's what I gathered from the dialogue between Yoda and Obi-Wan after Luke left to save Leia and company in Cloud City). If this is true, it contradicts what we know so far (or at least what I think I know). I mean, how could Obi-Wan hide her if he didn't even know she existed? Maybe he hid a pregnant Padme, and in that way he was hiding Leia too. But if Vader could sense through the Force who hid Leia, I would assume he'd see Yoda, same way he'd see that Yoda was the one who trained Luke, not Obi-Wan (Obi-Wan gave him some instruction, but Yoda gave him the meat and potatoes of the training).

So who hid Leia? Yoda? Obi-Wan? Jar-Jar? Chewie? One of the droids? Both of the droids? This holds relevance to this thread because I feel that Padme won't die and that she will be hidden, and the key is to figure out who stows her away.

15. MOSEP

May 22, 2002
    "One of the droids?"

I can picture R2 pulling a tiny sleigh with a baby in it. :p

16. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I don't think she'll die onscreen.

My bet is that Anakin will be forced into a corner and will have to make a choice between saving Padme's life, or doing something bigger and better (saving a bunch of children from a burning building type thing.) Basically, between the dark side + padmé, or doing good and watching her die.

He will choose to save her life, but she will see him differently afterwards (eg. as the murderer of a building full of children), so in saving her life, he loses her love.

Result: They both live unhappily ever after.

(Or something vaguely along those lines...)

17. KNIRE_DARK

Jun 18, 2002
    This was a post I made in another thread that probably holds more relevance here in that it lends credence to the "Othello" theory (though I'm not in the least bit a fan of the idea that Anakin will kill Padme).

"Okay, so Anakin and Padme must keep their marriage a secret. Padme becomes pregnant.
    Around the time of Episode 3, Padme's term as a Senator may well be over, but I don't think it will be. The fact that there probably will still be attempts made on her life (there has to be, or its a useless plot point from the first two prequels) is evidence of this. So naturally, she'll still be attending meetings, albeit very pregnant.

To hide the marriage from the Jedi Order, Padme confides in Bail Organa, and the two begin to reel the story that they are married and Bail is the father of the unborn child(ren).

When Anakin turns to the Dark Side, Padme reveals the truth to Obi-Wan out of fear for herself and her children."

Anakin might suspect that Padme is pulling away from him out of feelings for Bail Organa (much like Han thoght Leia was in love with Luke in ROTJ), driving him mad with jealousy. Then, much like Othello when he suspected his beloved Desdemona was being unfaithful, he strangles Padme or kills her in some other type of manner, tears in his eyes as he does it, because he doesn't want it to happen this way because he loved her, he really did, but he couldn't forgive or allow her to be unfaithful. After probably feeling betrayed by Obi-Wan, Anakin will be furious at the supposed betrayal of Padme. She's all he had left, and she knew that. And still she was unfaithful. So everyone in his life has now turned on him, and if thats what his world is coming to...

18. MOSEP

May 22, 2002
    The more and more i think about it, the better it sounds.
    That could make the tragedy so much worse.
    Anakin commit this horrible action, and starts hating even himself.
    He leaves his old life behind, and starts another (as vader).

19. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Expanding on my last post; imagine if Anakin had the choice of saving Naboo from being invaded/destroyed/turned into Dagobah/whatever, or saving Padme's life.

Which would he choose?
    Which would Padme want him to choose?

20. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think that the idea of Anakin's fall beginning and Padme telling Obi-Wan is a good one. Especially because if Anakin kills Padme he might think everyone including himself has betrayed him and then turn into Darth Vader.

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

21. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    I had originally posted this in a new thread, but was redirected to this forum, where it might be more appropriate. I'm reposting it in its orginal form...

--

There are two things about Ep III that I think are problematic, and I'd like to propose a "solution" to both of them.

The first problem, as many have observed on these boards, is a lack of surprises for those who are familiar with the CT. Because we already know the next three chapters of the story, the major events of the movie--Anakin turns to evil, Palpatine and Sidious turn out to be the same person, the Jedi are all murdered, the Republic becomes the Empire, etc.--are already laid out for us. There's not much room for a "plot twist"; so little room, in fact, that we wind up having endless discussions on these boards about things like who erased the Jedi Archives, the "true" identity of Sifo-Dyas, and the like. Most of this stuff is trivial, but it doesn't seem like we have much else to talk about.

The next problem is with Anakin's portrayal in the PT. Much has been made os Anakin's essential "goodness", especially in TPM. But even in AOTC, we see him as a troubled young man, driven by loneliness, love for his mother, things like that. Sure, we've got his slaughter of the Sandpeople (and incidentally his "confession" to Padme is one of my fave SW sequences ever), but overall he's really trying to do the right thing most of the time. Frankly, he doesn't seem to be the stuff that galactic tyrants are made of.
    So where am I going with all this? Well, I think that GL's gotta go out on a limb, both to really give Anakin's turn some punch, and to give longtime fans a plot twist that will leave us breathless. Anakin has to do something worse than killing Dooku. He has to do something even worse than killing Mace, or trying to kill Obi-Wan, something worse than turning his back on the Jedi and everything they stand for. He's got to do something that will make the "new" PT fans hate him, and make the "old" CT fans understand how that earnest young man became the terror of the galaxy.

Anakin's gotta kill Padme.

It's the only way.

It is his destiny.

Fire away, guys.

22. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    No way is Anakin going to kill Padme. At least not in any direct sort of way.

Because:

A. GL has said several times that we are supposed to feel "pity" for Anakin at the end of Episode III... If he murdered his own wife, we wouldn't. It's completely out of character for him. It makes entirely more sense for her death (maybe he blames himself indirectly) to push him over the edge for good.

B. "...if you start with Star Wars, then Vader?s just the villain, and that?s it. But you don?t realize that he?s a human being, that he?s got problems you don?t realize that he could have been saved, that he was tricked and can be resurrected"- GL.
    It's human to be tricked and manipulated, even to the point that he goes to. But killing your wife and the mother of the Saga's greatest protagonists is going too far. We wouldn't want him to be resurrected. That's a KEY point.

C. "It?s mostly Anakin in Ep3 as opposed to Vader" - GL

D. While "unexpected and surprising" things happen plot-wise. Rick McCullum has said there will be no major shockers in the film. I think this would qualify as one.

E. The film is trying to be rated PG. It's really pushing it for Anakin as Anakin (not in the Vader costume) to kill Padme with his own hands. Kids would not understand and parents would not be pleased. Now, I'm not one to placate the kiddies, but by GL's admission, these are movies for kids and they are openly trying to make the PG rating.

23. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    RebelScum, I think you make a lot of good points. And I don't think it's likely that this will actually happen, mostly for the Lucas-and-audience related reasons. I don't think that the public at large is really ready to have their hero do something so heinous, and I don't think Lucas will have the protagonist of the PT do that, especially as he's clearly trying to establish Ani as someone we can pity (excellent quote on that, BTW).

OTOH, I respectfully disagree that it's completely out of character. He does eventually kill Obi-Wan, who arguably played just as big a role in Ani's life as Padme. And he does, either directly or by proxy, hunt down and murder ALL the Jedi, ushering in an era of terror and tyranny. And I think that Ani being responsible for Padme's death plays up the "tragic hero" angle, a la Othello.

Like I said, I agree that it's probably not going to happen, but I do think it's some food for thought. And with no spoliers to chew on, we need some speculation, however unlikely it might seem! ;)

P.S. I'm new to these boards (or at least new to posting on them), but I love 3NS already. There's a lot of intelligent, well thought-out debate, and the disagreements rarely devolve into chlidishness, as you see on AICN and (shudder) the IMDB forums. Great job by the mods and the members for making this such a cool place!

24. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    But killing your wife and the mother of the Saga's greatest protagonists is going too far. We wouldn't want him to be resurrected. That's a KEY point.

Right! That's how I feel...I would be very upset (and that's putting it mildly) if Anakin were to kill Padme in any way...even if it were by accident. His redemption in RotJ would have absolutely no meaning for me anymore.

I would throw out all my DVDs and video tapes (OT and PT) if he killed her.

No joke.

25. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    His redemption in RotJ would have absolutely no meaning for me anymore.

I don't know about that. If Anakin did kill his wife, I doubt he'd do it in a moment of clarity; he'd do it in a moment of weakness, of anger, of fear.

His redemption in RotJ would be just that: a redemption. Anakin would finally be seeing clearly again, he'd realise what he's done wrong and that it's not "too late for [him]".

I have no problem with him killing Padme. None at all. It would, as Worst Jedi Ever has argued, help sell that Vader is a villain, and not just some moody, depressed twit or an overly sensitive individual.

[Side note: welcome to the forums, Worst Jedi! I'm glad to see one of our new members contributing to our little community :)]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.