main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The **Official** Fate of Padme Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ObiMcD, Aug 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goide1

Goide1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2000
    That's a very good possibility which I have considered, but that still doesn't explain PADME's fate. What will happen to her? I don't like the concept of just "fading away". How would they show this happening, and how would it be moving?

2. faubert

faubert Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 5, 2000
    I have been thinking about what happens to Padme and this theory has entered my mind.

What if Nabbo is effected by some biological weapon. And all life there is destroyed. THis weapon effects the DNA of Gugans and Nabbo's people and they start dying off.

But Padme is pregnant with Luke and Leia. And somehow this poison slows down the effects fo this weapon.

She is healthy at the end pf EP 3 but is told that the weapon is in her system and that she is dying.

But that it will take years for this to happen. Yoda, Obi-Wan vow that they will try to find a cure for her.

But knowing that she is dying is what makes her decide to split luke and Leia. She sends Luke with Obi-Wan while she willl stay with Leia.

So when we see that scene in ROTJ where Leia tells Luke about her memory of Amidala we will learn that Obi-Wan and Yoda failed to find the cure and that she died from this weapon.

THis allows us to have closure and does fit the ROTJ scene.

3. Goide1

Goide1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2000
    Good idea. I was thinking about a theory of biological warfare.. Something like that, and Naboo's population gets wiped out due to poison chemicals released by someone evil.
    It's very possible and would slightly explain the fate of Padme, as people can then just assume she will die... Especially if Yoda was less sure about finding a cure...
    Maybe....... But, I still don't think that this would be moving. They couldn't make it that tragic and could only show Padme sick, not really dying. I still think her death would be more dramatic and emotional than this or any other theory with her surviving..

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The biological warfare is a good idea. If it could be shown in a good way. Knowing that Padme is dying would be okay, if we don't know how long she will survive, I still say she has to be alive at least two years after Ep. III.

5. Rilina

Rilina Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2000
    Obviously people have preferences on whether they would like to see Padme die in E3 or not, but let's try to think of what is most *probable* rather than what's preferable. We know:

1) Padme obviously dies at some point between the birth of the twins and ANH

2) Leia remembers Padme; Luke does not

3) It's not clear if Vader knows he has children before ESB; he definitely does not know that he has twins (hence: "Sister? Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me"--excuse me if I just flubbed that line a little). This suggests Anakin's fall is before the twins' birth.

So let's try to "date" Padme's death from this info. Why would only Leia remember Padme? Luke and Leia are, as twins, the same age and both force-sensitive. If there is some imbalance in their force-sensitivity, it would probably lean towards Luke. So they should have the same memory capability (whether as infants--if you ascribe to the force-infant memory thing--or as toddlers) at every point. And if both Luke and Leia are with their mother to the end, there's no logical reason that on Leia would remember her. So the only way to explain Leia's memory and Luke's lack of memory is to guess that Leia remains with Padme for some chunk of time after the separation of the twins,

Where will the separation of the twins happen in the E2, E3? Obviously we can't know for sure, but we can guess the two movies probably have to show in about four hours a whole lot of plot, including (at least!): the courtship of Anakin and Padme, their marriage, Anakin's fall, Padme pregnant, birth of twins, and the separation of twins, plus the larger story of the fall of the Republic, the Clone Wars, and the Jedi Purge. With all this story to tell, how much beyond the separation fo the twins can E3 hope to show in its allotted two hours? I just don't think E3 will be long enough to show Padme's death, judging by info from the OT and TPM.

(Of course, Lucas could just ignore the groundwork he laid in the OT and not explain Leia's memory. Then all bets are off, and anything could happen with Padme's fate. But I really hope that doesn't happen)

6. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I think Padme will die sometime between EPIII and ANH. I'd be interested to know what happens to Jar Jar. It's very likely he'll die on-screen in EPIII, since there would be no closure for his character otherwise, unlike Padme.

7. Rilina

Rilina Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2000
    Now if Anakin killed Jar-Jar, that would make Vader more popular than ever!

But on a side note, think GL will do anything to explain why there's no Naboo and no Gungans mentioned in the OT? Obviously we know why (since he hadn't thought of them yet), but do people think GL will make something up for consistency's sake?

8. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Rise, my thread, and drive all the evil redundant threads from our forum.

9. Trippitaka

Trippitaka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2000
    The bio-weapon is a good idea. Perhaps all the Naboo and Gungans are wiped out, with the exception of Padme and Jar Jar - however both are infected and know they won't survive much longer.

I'd like to see Jar Jar, Padme and Leia escaping Naboo's destruction in some escape pod/naboo fighter, which Jar Jar then pilots to Alderaan (or wherever). It would a very poignant scene, with both characters mourning the death of their world, whilst at the same time making Jar Jar a more heroic character.

10. Janos_Arkegro

Janos_Arkegro Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll just add something I posted in the 'Amidala suicide' thread. There's no point in stretching the second-guessing too far. Yes, Naboo may be destroyed, but there's also little reason to mention it in the OT. Episodes IV-VI dealt specifically with an Imperial Fleet pursuing a Rebellion in the outer-rim territories. At no point were we introduced to any civilised systems, except Alderann (destroyed) and Coruscant (Special Edition). Not everything in the prequels needs to be referenced in the OT. Also, should Naboo survive, it will do so as part of the Empire. Besides that, they're new films, so let GL come up with something new. Let him add to his galaxy with each film, rather than restrict him to what we already know.

Regarding Amidala, I don't think she will die in the prequels. It makes sense that Leia was talking about Amidala in ROTJ, and not any foster mom. Therefore we can take it she died when Leia was very young. So she didn't disappear either. No loose ends.

I think there will be a three-way ending to Ep III. A dark helmet being lowered over a scarred and broken face, a broken-hearted mother staring up at an Alderannian night-sky, cradling a baby girl in her arms, and a lonely, sad figure disappearing into a binary sunset, having delivered into caring arms a hope for the future.

11. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
  12. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Repost from the other thread:

I'd say it's a combination of heartbrokenness and dying soon after EPIII.
    Leia says in ROTJ that Padme/Amidala was very sad and died when Leia was very young.
    The reason for the sadness is fairly obvious, and if we assume that Luke or Leia are born before or at the start of EPIII, as they must for Anakin to tell Obi-Wan to give Luke his sabre one day before he becomes Vader, then it's possible for Padme to die within two or three years of the end of EPIII.

Ultimately, she's the most tragic character of Star Wars. She sees her husband become Darth Vader, presumably has her home planet destroyed and has to live in exile, has one of her children taken away from her, and finally dies without seeing the final restoration of peace or justice by her children or a redeemed Anakin, as Obi-Wan and Yoda are able to do.

13. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Padme dies. But then I guess everybody dies in the end. But then the question is if they had actually lived. And Luke Skywalker has lived.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Good thread

15. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I don't think we will see her die, but we may see her broken-hearted and sad. I think that by the time Ep III ends is when the twins are born. If so, and because Leia says Padme died when she was young, presumably 4-5, I do not think we will see her death.

16. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Looks like this topic is up for discussion again.

Up!

17. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I disagree with the notion that we MUST see Padme die, while I do understand the need for some kind of closure to her character.
    In RotJ, we hear Leia's remembering her "real mother," which means the Organa family has allowed Leia to know something of her history. From that one line, we know that Leia was with her mother for a while before Padme's death because Leia recalls "images...feeling" of her experience with Padme; things only possible from person to person interaction, not just stories passed down by relatives. She describes her as "kind...but sad" meaning she was aware enough of Padme's mood, kids are very perceptive about the people around them.
    However, the events of Padme's death are not so important that we need to be there (unless it is something directly related to Anakin or Palpatine's corruption of Anakin). I think unless the above possiblity, GL merely showing that Padme dies "of a broken heart" as some people describe it is more poetic then witnessing any horrible accident or murder.

18. Yoda-Wan

Yoda-Wan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 1999
    I've always thought of the scene in ROTJ where Luke asks Leia about her mother is the best and most powerful scene in Star Wars. Think about it, through the OT, Luke is concerned with only his father. When he finds out Ben knew his father, he never asks about his mother. Nor does he ask Yoda about his mother. But, when he finally understands the whole scope of what happened and the whole story, then he asked about his mother. I think that whatever happens to her will show how poinient that scene really is and will make it seem more powerful than it does now.
    I don't know if I can buy the biological warefare thing, but I have thought about Padme' getting a disease. What if she's diagnosed and that's part of what drives Anakin over the edge. That drives his fear and he gives in to the Dark Side. Then we know of Padme's fate, possibly by the end of Episode 2 or half way through Episode 3. Then when ROTJ rolls around, we're just reaffirmed to what we already know.
    What I think is going to be more saddening than her demise, is what she has to go through before that. Fighting a dicatatorship taking over the Galaxy, Watching her man go bad and killing a bunch of people, having babies on the run, having to give up her son....that's a lot.

19. PDZSY

PDZSY Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Personally, I would be terribly disappointed if Padme' didn't die in Episode III. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I want to see Padme' die, but I think as important a character she is that it would be disgracing to just let her simply fade away with no real idea how she dies. Padme's death is almost essnetial to Anakin's turning to the dark side, and if it didn't happen I don't what would have turned him to the dark side. The reason I am so interested in the prequels is because they answer the questions that have been plagueing our minds for almost three decades. I will be terribly disappointed if one of those questions goes unanswered, especially one as important as Padme's death.

20. Tak_Deloran

Tak_Deloran Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Leia "She died when i was very young" That tells us that Padme dies. I don't want to see that either...she's very hot and i wouldn't like to see someone of her beauty extinguished in front of my eyes but i think we all will. Also, GL has to show Leia and Luke being separated at birth going to their respective foster homes. I don't think it will be a good story to have Padme just saddened, pained and anguished at the end of Episode III because that leaves too much of a hole for this seminal figure. Things should be left up to our imagination, yes, but someone like padme should be explained as some former posts have touched on. I believe that if GL shows the twins' separation she dies in this movie because only then will Leia's words in ROTJ be justified...she will have seen her for the last time before she was separated from her mother.

Now here's one possibility that might be a little chessy. Luke goes off to Tattooine with Kenobi and then Leia goes to Bail. Ok, that much we know. Leia sees her mother saddened by the separation but visits her on Alderaan where she presumably dies. This will also fall in line with Leia saying that she died when she was very young..age being 3 or 4, whatever, also leaving the door open for events we THINK happen after episode 3 at which time Luke and Leia will be about these ages. But, again, do we really think that Lucas will let the fate of padme, whatever it is and how it occurs, hang loosely between the episodes? These are his stories, of course, but i don't think that he'll render padme's character inconclusive. I think that GL will do great justice to all the important characters on the forefront: Mace, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Padme, Anakin, Palpatine. They will either meet tragedy, a new beginning, or darkness something that i believe all the readers here can see realistically happening to all these people.

All in all, Leia may or may not see Padme dying but i think GL will kill her off and perhaps Bail Organa tells her that "she died when she was very young" but before separation from her mother she gained a powerful image of her, something that allowed her to keep the memory of padme alive in her because her (padme's) spirit made such an impression upon the youngling.

21. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Well, I can't exactly solve this question-but I can get a little into the emotion of the moment. This poem won't be able to be complete in EpIII but it still is pretty good as is. Even though I refer a little bit to EPII, I don't think I really give anything away, so here goes.

Ode to Padme

Are you an angel?
    Asks a funny little boy.
    Never imagining the truth to his dreams,
    A brave ruler hides behind youth and beauty,
    protecting a world so fair and green.

Will you defer?
    Asks a man with no confidence.
    Never comprehending the dark forces now employed,
    A new leader will bring sanity and compassion,
    taking great interest in a funny little boy.

Could we keep it a secret?
    Asks a boy growing up too fast.
    Never believing such secrets could be kept,
    A nightmare is awakened amidst forbidden passion and love,
    trying to be strong as a grown man wept.

Will you join me?
    Asks a charismatic separatist.
    Never thinking war was the only way,
    A dellow fellowgate does what he feels is just and right,
    smiling despite the approaching fray.

What was she like?
    Asks a brother to a sister.
    Never having any memory of his mother,
    A whisper of a woman both kind and sad,
    looking down with hope on a sister and her brother.

22. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
  23. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Good lawd, this is old.

And I would like to go on the record as being one of the first to post belief that Padme will die in Ep. III (as seen on page 1 of this thread), despite the popular disbelief at the time...two years ago.

;) :p

24. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    She better die.

25. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Whatever happens, I don't think there'll be a dry eye in the house at the end of Episode III. Seeing the sad fate that befalls all the main characters will have even grown men bawling :)
    It all depends on what timespan Lucas chooses to go with for Episode III. Most Star Wars films seem to take place over a few weeks at most, but I have a feeling Episode III may cover a year or more, simply because there's so much to get in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.