main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official Fate of the Jedi: Ascension Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    no problems there Sable, it's just that's a pet peeve of mine. as always I know we keep things civil :)

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Vol deals her a resounding defeat

not true. he barely won, if at all. he hurt her that's it. in the end she kills him anyway

3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    For anybody else who has watched Angel season 4, does the way that Abeloth acts while impersonating Rokari Kem remind you of Jasmine? I can't read any of those scenes without seeing a lot of similarities.

4. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    No, it is true. The fact that he was injured in the process doesn't make it anything less than a humiliating defeat for Abeloth; she clearly seems to agree with me, as the fact that Vol both eludes and wounds her sufficiently outrages her enough for her to devastate the entire city out of anger.

I didn't realize that the outcome eliminates the context. That she kills him has no bearing on my points on any conceivable level.

5. samuraix87

samuraix87 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 5, 2010
    do you think Workan new Roki was abeloth if not how do you think feels as of knowing he helped put her in charge of the ga

6. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i re-read the scenes last night. Abeloth is not overwhelmed by vol, not at all. she is badly hurt, but he clearly is terrified after the encounter saying no one can deal with her, and that it was a terrible mistake to try. That does not sound like someone who kicked but in combat.

7. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    Just finished Ascension. I liked it but:

1. So many conspiracies to keep track of. Between Lecersen, Treen and company, then Dorvan, Bwuaa'tu and club, then the senator who is Sith, then Abeloth, then Daala and Fett and ???? I am sooo confused[face_hypnotized]

2. I was fine with Vestara coming to grips with the idea she didn't like being sith, always looking for betrayal and all, but then the sudden, unexplained switch at the end to "oh well I guess I am just too evil to be anything other than sith" just doesn't make sense. Why slowly show us how she is turning away from the dark only to snatch it away at the end?:confused:

8. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    So did I.

Abeloth is overwhelmed by Vol: "Her attack on him changed from a desire to harm to a desire to escape" (the bottom of pg. 36 to the top of pg. 37). After putting everything she had into trying to kill him, she was the one who wanted to retreat. She ran from him. That Vol was weakened significantly in the process after enduring murderous!Abeloth without aid (which is something Luke himself cannot claim) does not mitigate his victory. And, for the record, he muses that he was a "fool to think [he] could use her." It has nothing to do with combat.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    did you found out in Allies if it was a force net or the control web they use ?

10. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i read it differently than you.[vol did not resoundly defeat her. not the way i read it anyway if you resoundly defeat someone they don't come back later to take your head. She was surprised by him, and badly hurt, but nothing more. She is still far more powerful than vol, and vol is no luke skywalker, i'm sorry

11. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    This sounds like it's morphed into a quasi Dark Nest series... Instead of Kiliks, we have Abeloth and the sickness thing, and no one can fight it....much...

12. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Well then I'm going to go on a limb and assume you haven't watched Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, because.... that's exactly what happens to Count Dooku.

The book says she, the aggressor, was the one desperate to flee. Not Vol. The book > you.

Obviously, I never denied that; she's also far more powerful than Luke.

The book indicates otherwise and, once again, the book > you. If only we could determine canon based on what we like. Until I get the memo on Leland Chee changing the canon policy, I'll take the book's quote that says Vol has much of Luke's power, the book's interpretation of events where Vol defeats an enraged and murderous Abeloth singlehandedly (something Luke himself can't claim), and accept it at face value. [face_peace]

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    hey Sable did you find out if it was net or a control web used in Allies by the sith?

14. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I sure didn't, I don't have Allies on hand. :oops:

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    no worries, I thought you own it. well according to wookieepedia it seems to be a control web. but I like confirmation, maybe any other posters will be kind enough of finding out if it was a control web used in Allies by the sith on Abeloth.

but back to topic I think Abeloth destroying a city has probably been one of her most impressive feats made by the character.

16. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Definitely.
    Good to see stuff like this more often. Killing Vol and surviving Luke aren't exactly enough street cred. for the audience to really believe that Abeloth is an uberpowerful Force creature of doom.

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    considering Palps can force storm fleets around and Luke can destroy fortresses(Tyrant's Test) and rip fleets via telekinesis too(SoTP), was kinda wondering what Abeloth can truly do since we only seen her teleport and mental leech. I hope to see more of that in Apocalsype since we been rather lacking the wow moments in FOTJ.

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    doesn't abeloth float or fly in one of the books? I thought that was also one of her powers

19. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    First off, I must say this is the first SW book in years(I Believe Revelation was the last) to be so good IMO that I've read through it in two days(or mostly, just got to ch 36, started yesterday evening).

Lot of debate regarding Force Users, but I pose a far more interesting preview of what I'm nearly 100% sure will happen in Apocalypse regarding Jag and Daala:

We know from Daala's conversation with Fett that Fett is now openly searching for a cure to the nanovirus attack on Mandalore so he can return, to the point it is his main, and only, request of Daala for his assistance. As of the closing chapters of the Daala vs Jag plotline, we know Daala has backup on the way that she will not tell the Moffs whom the back up are(weird sentence...bear with me). Im betting 100% on it being Fett and the Mandalorians(and probably some stray Moff). We also know as of those concluding chapters that Fel has a vial of serum, supposedly able to aid anything, as well as prolonging life(from what I gathered from the book), and he has plans to use it. This vial is made from the nanovirus creators as well. Pg 327 has Jag stating that the vial is "Something to make a family very happy."

Based upon this, I am laying down 100% of my theoretical internet dollars that Apocalypse goes something along the lines of: Fett shows up to assist Daala, with a Mandalorian Fleet. Daala believes she has won. Jag contacts Fett and offers the one thing in the galaxy Fett needs for his family to return home(and possibly cure cloning sickness, though I think this happened in Sacrifice). Daala's ultimate trump card, which she used to both put down slave revlots and besiege the Jedi Temple, are ultimately what undoes her and finishes her off , with this serum as Fett's prize.

My .02c (or all my theoretical internet dollars).

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    as a collective, this series is pretty good. I'm liking were this is going

21. Wookie85

Wookie85 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2011

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Haven't read the book, but that sounds very possible.

23. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011

I was thinking furiously earlier tonight, trying to come up with any logical explanation for that line... and I came to the same conclusion. I mean, surely it has to be a plot line we already know about, but I just can't think of any other 'family' for whom that serum would have any particular interest.

Besides- I would LOVE to see Fett turn on Daala and kick her ass. :D

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I was under the impression that the family would be the Squib's. But having Fett turn on Daala would be a nice treat.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005