The OFFICIAL Film Music Trivia Quiz - New Game! [Quiz #4]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by halibut, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Seagoat
  1. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Dang... and again. If I had any brains, I'd be dangerous. Quick correction- when I mentioned 'somber, brooding openings,' I was refering to the opening of the clips. Only two of the three clips are openings themselves. (The easy two, I suspect.)
  2. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master

star 5
    Hey no problem. Just as long as you're not trying to sabotage me this round. ;)
  3. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I'm gonna try to jump into the game, though I feel retarded because I know I've heard the music for this round, I just don't know where.
  4. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Okay, maybe that last round was just a little TOO hard. Oh, well. Here are the answers to Round 33: Ominous Birthday (Yeah, I know, I should really stop trying to name these things?)
    1. King Kong (1933), Max Steiner, Opening Title.
    2. Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1954), Akira Ifukube, Opening Title.
    3. The Hitchhiker?s Guide to The Galaxy (2005), Joby Talbot, Earth Mark II.

As expected, Earth Mark II went unguessed- but I expected Godzilla to be the more recognizeable of the other two. I was wrong! The correct answers I received were:
    __Vader__ - 5 points (Kong)
    TheBoogieMan - 5 points (Kong)
    Scoot ? 5 points (Godzilla)

This puts our totals at:
    Darth_Vader-Anakin ? 15 points
    Scoot ? 13 points
    Well_Of_Souls ? 9 points
    Outrider462004 ? 9 points
    TheBoogieMan ? 8 points
    HookLineAndSinker ? 5 points
    __Vader__ - 5 points
    MrUnderhiII ? 4 point

It?s still fairly close, really- a good round or two?

And now, the Trivia Quiz Returns! ?As it does, weekly, really. But in this case, the phrasing seems appropriate, as that?s what you have to deal with here: 3 ?Return? movies. Simple as that, really- Film Name, Composer, and Track. 1 point each except for clip 103, worth 5. Sorry for the brevity, but I?m working off of about 3 hours sleep? so I think I?ll just leave you to your task!

http://h1.ripway.com/Zarm/Quiz2-14-06.zip
  5. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 7
    Certainly would have gotten King Kong and Godzilla. Two of my favorites. But never HGTTG.

As for the reurns, I wonder how many I'd get right just be guessing without actually hearing the themes. lol
  6. Darth_Omega Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think you linked the wrong zip file ;)
  7. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master

star 5
    Wow. I totally spaced on this last quiz. And I knew two of those.
  8. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm really surprised that only two people got Kong.

And yeah, the zip file isn't working for me, Zarm...
  9. Darth_Omega Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well the correct link is:
    http://h1.ripway.com/Zarm/Quiz10-14-06.zip

doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out ;)
  10. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm obviously not even close to a rocket scientist. :p
  11. outrider462004 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    same here
  12. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    :oops:

Y'know what? Can I just make that smiley my profile icon? I am so sorry- obviously the aforementioned lack of sleep caught up with me big time. (Now if only I had a good excuse for the last 3 errors...)

But thanks goodness for predictable naming conventions: Darth Omega is completely correct. http://h1.ripway.com/Zarm/Quiz10-14-06.zip is the correct link for this round. Thanks to Outrider462004 for letting me know via PM and Darth Omega for patching things up here!
  13. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Heh heh heh heh? everything is proceeding as I have foreseen? at least, in regards to Round 34: The Music Quiz Returns! I kind of suspected I?d get a few more replies- but I kind of suspected this would be a trick one, too. And my suspicions were confirmed, apparently- let?s see if your were. If you suspected that the first clip was Batman Returns, by Danny Elfman, from the track End Credits, then your suspicions are confirmed. Likewise, if you had a hunch that the second clip might just be The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri, from the track My First Bus Ride, then you were right on the money. Finally, if you had an inkling that perhaps the ultra-hard third clip was in fact the End Credits from the travesty that is the animated version of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King? then you sure didn?t share you speculations with me! But you would have been correct.

So, whether revealed to me via PM or just kept to yourself, those would have been the correct answers. As for the ones I actually received, and will therefore be getting points for the round, the list is somewhere on the order of 2 points for Well_Of_Souls and Scoot, and one for Outrider462004.

So, technically-minded talliers might find the scores stacking up thusly:
    Scoot ? 15 points
    Well_Of_Souls ? 11 points
    Outrider462004 ? 10 points
    TheBoogieMan ? 8 points
    __Vader__ - 5 points
    MrUnderhiII ? 4 point

So, onward to another round of adventure? Well, here we go, then! This round doesn?t have any especial theme, really- except perhaps three great films that are often overlooked. They may be as recent as this year, or as dated as, say, 1988. In any event, the film name and composer will earn you three points each, with an additional bonus point available for identifying the Soundtrack track, where applicable (For the record, two out of three).

I?ve really got to be more stingy these days- or adjust the old cumulative totals for inflation! Nonetheless, I think this round warrants the point potential.

http://h1.ripway.com/Zarm/Quiz10-21-06.zip

So go on, good luck- and get out and enjoy the sunshine this week, if you have it!
  14. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Okay, sooooo...

Absolutely no PMs. Not even a wild guess. So, (assuming I don't recieve some last minute submission) I need some votes:
    Extend for another week and raise the point value?
    OR
    End it now and move on to the next round?
  15. Scoot Jedi Master

star 4
    I vote for endage! This week was bloody hard!
  16. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Okay, quitters. ;) I suppose I should revise the category, then: This is more of a series of great Films That No One Ever Heard Of (Round 35), to which the answers (and mini-reviews for a trio of great movies!) are:

1. The amazing true story of Nate Saint and his team of missionaries killed the Waodani tribe, and their family who takes up their calling anew, End Of The Spear, by Ron Owen. Track 9 ? Jaguar Hunt (Also the main theme.) A movie with brilliant visuals and a highly moving story.

2. The hilarious 1988 Michael Caine/Ben Kingsley comedy Without A Clue, by Henry Mancini. Main Theme. ?An outrageous comedy about the world?s greatest detective and his bumbling partner? Sherlock Holmes.?

3. The brilliant 2002 Jim Caviezel adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo, by Edward Shearmur. Track 15, End Titles. A witty and superbly-written adaptation of the classic story.

And the winners were? No one! But at least Miana Kenobi gave it a guess! Welcome aboard!

Okay, well I suppose it?s time to move on, preferably to something a little easier? and this is the perfect round for it! This is the one I have labeled in my notes as ?3 Easy Ones.? :D Simple enough this round: Film, Composer, and Track for 1 point per clip. And at least two, if not all three, or these should be the simplest clips on earth for anyone that reads through these boards regularly. At least, so I?d hope.

http://h1.ripway.com/Zarm/Quiz10-28-06.zip

Now, if you?ll excuse me, I have to go finish scrounging up 185 feet by 6 feet of cardboard to build an Indiana Jones adventure booth and scare the pants off of little trick-or-treaters coming to our church?s Harvest Party.

Happy (Almost) Halloween, everybody! [face_pumpkin]
  17. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thank God for easier clips.

I have only heard of one of those last three films, never heard the scores, and only know one of the composers. :p
  18. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I still think the middle one sounded like the Goonies. In fact, I KNOW that part was in the Goonies (which compiled a bunch of other songs). [face_not_talking] :p ;)
  19. Scoot Jedi Master

star 4
    I just listened to that middle one again to try and hear the Goonies reference...all I can think of it kinda sounds like the music that plays when sloth slides down the sail on the pirate ship! Where did you think its from Miana?
  20. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    That was exactly it, Scoot. :p
  21. sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    How many more rounds to go on this quiz? Is it too late to join now and have a shot at winning, or should I wait for the next one?
  22. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The current round and 3 more- hard to say if there's a chance of catching up; the scores have remained fairly low so far, so theoretically there's a chance- either way, remember that cumulative score is tracked as well, so you can always add to that total even if you don't win an individual quiz! So no reason to wait if you know the answers!
  23. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Okay- the easy part?s over. How did you do? We?ll take a look at the good, the bad, and the easy as we cap off Round 36: Three Easy Ones- and find out just how easy they were!
    1. Almost everyone got this one! Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, by Howard Shore. A Knife In The Dark. As I?ve seen quoted elsewhere on the boards this week, ?I gotta have more Moth Theme!? [Cowbell] :D
    2. Slightly trickier- sure, I?ll give you Star Wars- but will it be main-stream soundtrack Star Wars? Those familiar with the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition, by John Williams, would be more easily able to recognize one of my favorite Force Cues/TPM moments, as Qui-gon slices through the blast doors- chronicled in the track Fighting The Destroyer Droids.
    3. I thought this one was a little more well-known from it?s inclusion in the almost-a-media-event-themselves first LOTR trailers. From The Power of One, by Hans Zimmer, comes Mother Africa (Reprise).

So, that?s that. Easy, huh? Well, at least?
    Well_Of_Souls ? 3 points
    TheBoogieMan ? 2 points
    Outrider462004 ? 2 points
    MrUnderhiII ? 1 point
    Miana Kenobi ? 1 point
    Scoot ? 1 point

?Thought so.

This puts the running at:
    Scoot ? 16 points
    Well_Of_Souls ? 14 points
    Outrider462004 ? 12 points
    TheBoogieMan ? 10 points
    __Vader__ - 5 points
    MrUnderhiII ? 5 points
    Miana Kenobi - 1 point

Which means that things could still go in almost any direction- interesting?

This next round could be both easy and hard, I suppose. The clips are fairly obscure, but the theme is pretty simple- these are three Rocket Movies, plain and simple. I?ll even eliminate Apollo 13 from the running. So, the theme should leave you with a fairly small pool to choose from- if you can choose the right one! They?re all main titles, so I?m just looking for film and composer- 2 points each (unless it turns out to be extremely difficult, in which case it may go up to 3.)

http://h1.ripway.com/Zarm/Quiz11-04-06.zip

So, prepare for ignition in T-minus 1 week- see you then!
  24. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    All right, here we are on the last full day of the quiz, and I just recieved a first guess... So I am bumping this up to 'difficult' level and moving the point value up to 3.

Now honestly, I can't picture how a round could get much simpler than 'Rocket Movies' in theme, unless we got down to themes like "Movies with the words Star and Wars in the title," but admittedly at least one of these themes, though beautiful, is rather obscure- as it was never shown in theaters. So, to give a little further aid, I offer the following random numbers:
  25. Scoot Jedi Master

star 4
    Very Helpful Hints!!
Moderators: Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.