main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Force Commander Hints & Tips Thread..

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by BobaNet, Mar 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormtripper2000

stormtripper2000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 1999
    So how do you capture the rebel base at abridon? a full frontal assault results in decimation. The back route that only troopers can take is a trap. I wan to set up my mobile artillery to shell them, but I can get anything to stay alive long enough to target the scan jammer or sheild generator. So how what tricks have you figured out to make this a little easier?

2. Cirrocu

Cirrocu Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2000
    I'm at the same stalemate. Have my TR-MB in the northwest corner of the map. The west path to the Rebel command center is suicide due to a bunch of turrets and tanks. The east path over the bridge is suicide as well due to the 50 or so tanks and artillery. What I wouldn't give for some air support...

3. Darth Binky

Darth Binky Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 24, 1999
    I didn't bother with the Rebel base on Abridon. I just took the back way that goes through the city and across a bridge (even the AT-AT's can walk up there, because mine did), freed the garden, and cleared the area around the capital building (it's guarded by some infantry and two each of the Anti-Air and Anti-Infantry turrets). As soon as that was finished, I used the Tyderium shuttle to ferry in 6 stormtroopers and captured the capital to complete the mission.

I built up a large force with the 2 AT-AT's you start with (I use them to knock out Anti-Armor turrets and Proton Launchers with their chin blast), 12 AT-ST's and 5 AT-AA's but once I realized I didn't have to attack the Rebels' base I didn't get to use them. I never ever use AT-PT's except sometimes to leave some at the base to prevent enemy troops from taking over my turrets. They are too weak and die too quickly for 100 CP; I think a ton of AT-ST's backed up by an AT-AT or two and a bunch of (four or five) AT-AA's can handle virtually anything the Rebels can throw at you. I'm on Abridon 2 now, haven't started it yet.

4. EEMeltonIV

EEMeltonIV Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 1999
    Hey, don't s'pose anyone out there who's defeated Abridon II can lend a hand? Tips, pointers? I played it once and gave up when the Rebels actually captured my command center, a few turrets and downed my last AT-AT. Oooooops. I guess I need more infantry and need to stick them in the buildings, hehe.

But, besides that, any pointers?

5. stormtripper2000

Aug 31, 1999
    Never mind. i figured it out. I was goping after the wrong base anyway.

6. Commander Horn

Commander Horn Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2000
    You Don't have to capture the rebel base. Here's what you should do.

Go all the way south(view pointed up on map)and to the right, and you will find the captured imperial base, which is relatively lightly guarded. Eventually build up enough units to do the job, and then blow up their base. then build more units if needed and make your way through the city.

7. Commander Horn

Commander Horn Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2000
    Sorry, Double Post

[This message has been edited by Commander Horn (edited 04-07-2000).]

8. Darth Saber

Darth Saber Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 1999
    I finally beat the Sarapin, pt.2 mission yesterday. I'm kinda behind because I just got the game. But I have a question. How do you use Mobile Artillery? I haven't found a use for it yet, and the rest of you guys seem to love it. How does it work? And what does that flashing blue dot next to some of your units in the group display mean?

9. Darth Saber

Sep 29, 1999
    I finally beat the Sarapin, pt.2 mission yesterday. I'm kinda behind because I just got the game. But I have a question. How do you use Mobile Artillery? I haven't found a use for it yet, and the rest of you guys seem to love it. How does it work? And what does that flashing blue dot next to some of your units in the group display mean?

10. Darth Saber

Sep 29, 1999
    Does anyone know how to use mobile artillery? I can't find a practical use for it, or even how to use it. Also, what does that blue dot mean next to certain units icons on the group display?

11. WampaTaunTaun

WampaTaunTaun Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 1999
    I take the back route. Get as many stormtroopers down there and capture both the infantry and vehicle turrets. Then destroy the rebel turret on the island. Then capture the bunker to get command points going. Keep bringing down as many stormtroopers as possible. Then go up across the bridge and block the path that the AT-AT comes down. You'll have a few battles but then things will calm down. Just keep your stormtroopers blocking the path and wait. Then take your AT-AT and other vehicles and go. When the AT-AT starts coming you'll have a couple hover tanks attack your stormtroopers. Just focus all of them on the hovertanks and take them out. You should still have enough to take out the AT-AT. Be careful, he'll try to step on them so move them to his side at the last moment. When that's done, gather every one at the top of the long bridge your stormtroopers came across and resupply.
    Then begin your big assault on the base.
    Be sure to send one stormtrooper out at a time to take out the mines or they will take out many of your guys at a time.

12. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    This is probably the most helpful FoCom resource out there right now, even better than the ForceCommander.com and fcoutpost.com message boards. Yay! Sarapin 1 is tough, took me two days to beat it. Basically, build Turret Control and call down tons of AT-AA (6-8), capture the first two collection facilities, and weather the storm. After the Rebel hordes stop coming, rebuild your forces and then some, take the Rebel Command Center, fortify it, and continue on. I always bring Dellis with me for some odd reason, but I hear the Speeder Bike is the way to go.

13. LJ

LJ Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 1999
    What are your suposed to do in the skirmish missions?

14. LJ

LJ Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 1999
    sorry, double post

[This message has been edited by LJ (edited 04-06-2000).]

15. Darth Binky

Oct 24, 1999
    Skirmish missions are just basically random missions for practice or whatever. When I get past the Empire missions in the campaign, I will probably practice in there with the Rebels (since I still haven't played as them yet). The AI is still pretty predictable though. I played one mission with a computer ally against another computer enemy and ever since I have been able to win pretty easily.

On Endor I used my AT-ST's to take out the traps. Just keep floating the mouse pointer around the screen and when it turns yellow, you've found a trap. Then the AT-ST's can sit well out of it's range and destroy it. Make sure your troopers are around though; this was the only mission I didn't beat on the first try because the Ewok gliders hammered my AT-ST's which couldn't shoot them (I had wasted my troopers because I don't like troopers very much).

To use the mobile artillery (and also the heavy arty when you get it) you have to deploy it, similar to the Siege Tanks in StarCraft for those who are familiar with that game. The Heavy Arty have incredible range; so do the Non-mobile Arty. I like to defend my base by setting up a Non-mobile or two and then setting a probe droid along the usual path the rebels take to attack me. Then when the droid sees the rebels coming, the heavy arty can smash them well before they even get to shoot at me (ok, the trooper in front usually survives due to the inaccuracy of the arty, but the Anti-I guns get him).

Just be careful around your artillery; they are area of effect weapons that can hurt your troops too if they are too close to the blast area (also similar to how Siege Tanks worked in StarCraft). I believe they also have a minimum range, so if the enemy gets too close, they won't be able to shoot them.

Is it just me or are TIE fighters and bombers almost completely useless unless you've pretty much already won and just want a fast moving force to finish off the enemy? I don't even waste the CP's on them anymore; they just die too quick, just like AT-PT's.

Those red bars next to the picture of the troop/vehicle are indeed experience levels. If its a vehicle, they also get extra hit points for going up levels; if you also build the Aux building and upgrade health they get big bonus hit points; a level 2 AT-ST with the health upgrade has about 450 hit points. Infantry don't get the bonus though; that part kinda sucks. And they still die just as fast when assaulting a building; you'd think experience would allow them more survivability.

16. Darth Saber

Sep 29, 1999
    Can anyone help me with the Hoth level? I can't beat it for the life of me. I've tried taking a few AT-AT's at a time and all of them at the same time. I can't escape those darn speeders!!! Even if I do make it to the base with one or two AT-AT's, I get mowed down by the Rebel Turrets. The AT-AT's move to slow!! By the time I get close to the command center, they've killed me! What should I do? Please, tell me how you beat it. Thanks.

17. Cirrocu

Cirrocu Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2000
    Wait, we're still talking Abridon part 2 here? I got stuck on part 3. In part 2, I didn't bother trying to capture the Rebel base, either. In this game, slow and steady wins the race (along with a liberal dose of TIE fighters on search-and-destroy missions).

Part 3 is a pain. Maybe tomorrow I'll try just sitting around, waiting for my CP's to build back up to 5000, call down a bunch of AT-STs and AT-ATs and just try wearing them down. I don't think the Rebs can call down reinforcements anymore (heaven knows they've probably exhausted all the forces in the sector by this time).

Of course, I've also been playing a lot of Jedi Power Battles, too.

18. Cirrocu

Cirrocu Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2000
    On Hoth, the secret is massed firepower. Just ignore the speeders, they'll find you eventually no matter what you do and you don't have anything fast enough to catch them.

Just mosey on along with your walkers, blasting everything in sight. When you get to the Rebel base, focus your fire on the Anti-Vehicle turrets first (they can whittle you down pretty quick). Remember to use the chin guns on the AT-ATs, too. Just keep blasting away and you should have at least a couple of walkers left.

Before taking the command center, though, clear out any Rebel troops, turrets, the airfield, and the shield generator right around the base. Make it as safe as possible for Vader to land after you take the base.

Chin guns and safety in numbers. Thems the keys.

19. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    I'm on Sarapin Pt. 2 right now. I just captured the drill with about 2-3 clicks left. So, is this "Rebel Base" up on the platform or are they talking about that Airbase downstairs? Yavin IV is next, I think. Anything is better than this arid volcano world.

20. stormtripper2000

Aug 31, 1999
    The main Rebel Base on Sarapin is surrounded by mountains. It is pretty easy to take though.

Ok, so on to Abridon Part 2. The Rebels are laying waste to my base. Once I think I have a chance to bring down troops, the Rebels roll up with 3 tanks, troopers, a bunch of hover tanks, etc. they just keep pounding me. Where the heck are they coming from? I can't even scout to find where they are attacking from becaus they just demolish me.

Any help here would be hot.

21. Roy_Starkiller

Roy_Starkiller Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2000
    A scouting idea...

I haven't played the game, so I can't offer a true perspective on any levels in the game, but I'd like to ask why you don't try to use TIE's for scouting? As someone mentioned, their cheap, so requesitioning one or 2 shouldn't be too much of a problem. They are tougher than probe droids if memory serves, and they are faster aren't they? Plus, if they find an underequipped force, they have the weaponry to take at least part of it out.

Oh, what I wouldn't give for a good computer right about now...

22. Darth Binky

Oct 24, 1999
    On the Hoth level, when you are picking what units to bring down with you, most of your troops are already chosen for you. BUT.... you do have one AT-AT Barge which is open for troops to put in.... and you also have a bunch of CP's that you won't use since you don't get a command center...

SO.....

why not buy four AT-AA's? That's what I did and those speeders didn't touch me. They pretty much beeline for your AT-AT's so when they do the Tow cable trick your AT-AA's will pound them to dust. The Hoth level is actually pretty easy when you do this.

However, make sure you keep the AT-AA's behind your AT-ST's and AT-AT's... the Rebels will attack whatever they run into first, so if it's the AT-AT's then they'll attack those and your AT-AA's are safe.

23. EEMeltonIV

EEMeltonIV Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 1999
    Roy_Starkiller, that's exactly what I do.

24. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    I think I just found that damn Rebel Base. After the drill this mission looks like a mop-up, but it's still time consuming. I'll be very happy when I get off that hell hole of a world, Sarapin. Any advance tips for Yavin IV? I think that is next, followed by Hoth?

25. Darth Binky

Oct 24, 1999
    For Yavin IV, you will need to destroy the Rebel base... but as soon as you get moving, some Imp guy pops up who needs to be rescued and if you take too long to rescue him, a swarm of Rebel infantry will slaughter him. I highly recommend going to save him first; you'll get a ton of CP's if you do. He'll be in the upper right corner of the mini-map. I sent six AT-ST's and picked him up, dropped him at the Evac site, and then went about the mission. Just watch for ambushes, there's a bunch of them.

And Hoth is after Yavin IV. One thing they do a lot that I've noticed is in the cutscenes, they digitize scenes from the original trilogy and integrate them into the scenes. When you see the pre-Hoth cutscene, you'll see what I mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.