main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official "Force Heretic: Remnant" Discussion thread. (Spoilers within)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kadue, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    They didn't like it. :(

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    With good reason. It's been years since I've been enticed to keep reading the next page and next page, and Orphans does that commendably. It's a pity the style wasn't used in Remnant, and even more that Heirs is another year away . . . :D

3. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    I finished Remnant in about two days time. I was kind of disappointed in it. The fighting was cool, mostly the Imperial Navy against the Vong. What I didn't like was the Tihiri story, it was just a little strange. And I missed reading about the Vong Higher Ups, not just what Nom Anor was doing in the underground. I of course will read the rest of the Force Heritic Trilogy, because I'm hooked on the NJO, but I do hope that the rest of the trilogy will be a bit better than Remnant.

4. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    I liked Remnant. Especially everything involving the Imperials. The Tahiri story didn't bug me too much ..... yet.

The explanation/twist/answer/whatever that explains it had better be great......

I hope.

The Picnic :eek:

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While it will doubtless seem odd to many, I find myself defending Remnant against a couple of criticisms made about the book by The Force net reviewers.

The first is this:

"Scott: As much as I like the authors and their overall writing style, Remnant suffers from two major problems. It very much feels like only the first part of the story and it is very slowly paced. Two thirds of the book involves the characters simply being moved into new situations and there's almost no action throughout it. I have to agree with Nick that showing the Yevetha battle would have picked up the story pace considerably. The book doesn't really get going until near the end even then there's about 50 pages of wrap up when things are concluded. I couldn't help but feel that the next book in the series held more promise. All of this made it rather difficult to get through. I do, however, look forward to what they'll come up with in the second book. I hate to rate this one so low, but this was my impression after reading the book."

I find these comments truly odd, save for those that concern the casual killing of the Yevetha. The story feels like the first part? You think? It's the first part of a trilogy! It's slow paced? The pace is a welcome change, plots are developed and situations detailed and we are more immersed in the story.

"Michael: I like the concept of the Galactic Alliance, but so far, I can't really see any discernible difference between the GFFA and the New Republic. I assume that will change in later books when more nation-states have joined the Alliance, such as the Imperial Remnant, Chiss (?), Hapan Cluster (?), etc...

This is a much better point, the GA does not seem too different right now.

"One thing that I didn't like was Han and the Yevetha... he seemed to scared to me. Han always seemed pretty fearless to me... although I suppose he did cop a bit of a beating by the Yevetha!"

No, disagree entirely, I found Han's reaction entirely appropriate. He was held and tortured by the Yevetha for weeks! This was one of my major complaints against Remnant, that Leia was so heartless to Han by suggesting the Koornacht Cluster, it didn't ring true to her character. (Jaina is another matter...)

Jedi Ben

6. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Guess I spoke too soon about negative reviews, huh ? ;)

Well, I loved it either way. :)

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
  8. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    I know this is a little off subject, but does anyone have a picture of what Corasaunt looks like now after the Yuzzan Vong have reshaped it?

9. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Hey, my review was not negative... I loved the book!

I gave it a 9.25 / 10 in the official review thread, unfortunately, the TFN review system is rated out of 4, not 10. (I gave it a 3.5 out of 4).

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    When I read the part about what happened to Pellaeon and I actually closed the book and set it aside. I could not go on further! I was so mad and feared that Pellaeon would be the next character to die that I didn't want to read his death!

But eventually curiosity got the best of me and I'm happy now!! :)

11. darthmalt16

darthmalt16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2000
    I thought the book overall was pretty good. The Tahiri stuff got annoying and I found myself skipping most of it. The Imperial part was nice and the rest of the book it provided a good setup for the rest of the book. The telling of the Yeveatha battle wouuld definatley have helped to speed up the pace of the book. You know it had to be a terrific battle.

Overall it followed in the vein of traitor in being a slower paced book and providing a good foundation for the rest of the trilogy.

12. FakeHandLuke

FakeHandLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2001
    I'll have to be honest - I did not really like this one very much. It seemed so muddled, In some sense Destiny's Way ended a mini story arc within the entire saga that began with Star by Star, and in my opinion at least, contained the best run of books in the NJO. Remenant seemed slow to pick up a new final direction. Yes, the heroes are attempting to unite the galaxy - and Luke is of to find the mystery planet - - but there seems to be a lack of urgency - as if the characters actually know they are in the last year of the war - when there is very little reason to believe there victories will imediately end hostilities. The desperation and excitement of Rebel Stand and Dream is lacking, as is the Philisophical intensity of Traitor and Destiny's Way, and of course it doesnt even come close to touching Star by Star in the feel of epic storytelling.

It is the first NJO book that i have not been aboe to go back and reread.

Probably my least favorite so far.

13. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I know this is a little off subject, but does anyone have a picture of what Corasaunt looks like now after the Yuzzan Vong have reshaped it?

I wish! Coruscant is my favorite planet, and I was so disappointed when it went belly-up. :(

The GFFA better rebuild it, or ELSE! :)

14. JacenHornSolo

JacenHornSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2002
    The GFFA better rebuild it

Yeah.. but how??... :( :confused:

15. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    The same way Europeans settled in the new world and shaped America to what is today....Just destroy a couple thousand acres of vegitation, industrialize, screw up the ecosystem, build, industrialize some more, and Coruscant will be back to normal in no time ;)

16. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    They could just enlist every cictizen in the galaxy, and Coruscant could be rebuilt within years.

17. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Its not worth the time and money,besides an entire planet being covered by buildings and technology is just perverse,Dennon and Metallos both are almost as heavily urbanized as Coruscant was so they can use them,besides all of the Metal eating Microbes and bacteria would survive the retaking of the planet and just devour all of the Ferrocrete and Duracrete all over again so its stupid to rebuild coruscants global city.

18. Noghri_ViR

Noghri_ViR Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    Its not worth the time and money,besides an entire planet being covered by buildings and technology is just perverse,Dennon and Metallos both are almost as heavily urbanized as Coruscant was so they can use them,besides all of the Metal eating Microbes and bacteria would survive the retaking of the planet and just devour all of the Ferrocrete and Duracrete all over again so its stupid to rebuild coruscants global city.

Thanks you Mr. Degree in GFFA economics, vong technology and teraforming.

19. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Thanks you Mr. Degree in GFFA economics, vong technology and teraforming.

Hehe. :)

Yeah, Coruscant is pretty messed up now, but something really cool has to happen. I mean, it's closer to the sun, the microbes are still there, the buildings are gone, it's covered in Yuuzhan Vong...stuff, etc.

Maybe they could enlist the help of the Shamed Ones. They know the biotechnology as well, so maybe they would be able to reverse everything. Or something. :)

20. Str8JaktJim

Str8JaktJim Jedi Master star 1

Oct 9, 2002
    I'm looking forward to finding out the relevance of the titles. Remnant obviously referred to the Imperial Remnant.

What could Refugee mean? Could the Chiss be the refugees? Or maybe the refugees are the Bakurans? Who knows?

Then there's Reunion. What could that mean? Is it referring to something to do with Zonama Sekot being welcomed back into the known universe? Or is this the rise of the Anakin-shaped pheonix some people have been desparately seeking?

We'll find out in May I imagine, so until then, let's speculate away!

21. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Are there any significant characters left at Bakura? Arn't they all dead now? I guess there is Gariel's daughter or whatever.

I think this book set up some impotant things for later on, so I'm not to hard on it.

I think that "Refugee" might refer to Droma and the Ryn.

22. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    I think at towards the end of Refugee, Jacen and Danni will get seperated from the rest of the group, and at the very end they'll stumble onto Zonama Sekot (that's why they're on the cover of Reunion). And Luke and company will meet up with them at the planet, and that will be the "Reunion"

23. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Reading this novel spoiled was actually better than reading it unspoiled. I caught a few tidbits about Tahiri I'll ek up later if I have the time...*smiles vergere-like*

I found it interesting that Nom Anor's alias, Amorrn, is really the letters in Nom Anor mixed around minus an o.

24. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Actuly it would be pretty easy to rebuild Courscant. Alpha Red anyone?

25. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Alpha Red = No. I doubt they'll use it all, and if we see it again, it'll be in the hands of rebels.

They could think of good ways to get rid of all the Yuuzhan Vong, but the hard part would be the resources. Having to rebuild a whole planetwide city can't be cheap, and the metal can't be easy to come by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.