main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *official* 'geocities-is-driving-me-nuts' Help-Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by MsLanna, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Hi all.
    I was looking for a general kind of help-thread around here and didn't find one.
    What, you don't need help?:eek:
    I'm shocked, but maybe then you can help me.

But first, I intend this to be a thread where you can ask for help or give it.
    I'm sure some of the earliy problems with designing sites, html and hosts could easily be solved that way. Besides I get the feeling I'm spamming the newbie-party with this stuff.[face_blush]
    Oh, lock or redirect if I have just not seen the help-thread. I may have something with my eyes.

Now, geocities.
    I actually like them , but am probably a little too stupid to get it going.
    I use the extended html editor. I have a nice list of all my files. I have even an explanation for folders.
    But none how to create them.:oops:
    I'm sure it's on the page somewhere!

Somebody please help me.[face_batting]

2. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    Just don't use Geocities! I created this Therion fan-site a while back and Geocities was hopeless... I would highly recommend purchasing webspace instead, rather than using free site thingies like that... :oops:

3. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Geocities in my view is good for what I use it for (to show off my cats and star wars costumes) but I can understand if you get frustrated with it.

4. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    I totally agree that Geocities is good for just a simple site, but I found it far too restricting for what I wanted at the time. :)

5. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    My first host was geocities, but I found editing it a nightmare - as I write fan fiction, I found that any files longer than two or three pages got mangled with a bunch of numbers where the " ' and , were supposed to be! Plus the fact I hated that ad square that came up and the fact that geocities was at the start of the address. The only thing I found good about it was the fact that I could edit it online without having to keep uploading the files all the time, but the problem was when I came to wanting to upload files that weren't created though the geocities editing software - I could never edit them online. I came accross bravenet and found they were much easier to use. You still get adverts on the pages to have it hosted for free, but at least I didn't get all the other problems with it. I did like the editor in some ways though, because if you know how to use it right you can design decent pages with it, but all the other problems went against it. In the end, I had to do the stories in one program and then upload it to geocities, but the problem was I could never put a link on the story page back to any other page on the site, which I suppose was really annoying for users. I still have the old version on the geocities site, but don't use it anymore, so you can take a look to see what I mean! Stories

I also hated it because I was unable to apply the layout of my site to any of the story pages because if anything went wrong with uploading it, I could never do anything to correct it. Here's what it looks like now with bravenet: Stories

6. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    okay, I found the folder.:oops: [face_blush]
    Guess I really do have problems with my eyes.

I'm not sure purchasing webspace is what I want. It costs money....
    I'm not good enough with html yet to pay for a site.

7. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    Is it ok if I put a link to the page where you've put author's opinion of fan fiction? As I run a fan fiction site, it would be interesting if my visitors can take a look at it.

8. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    sure, why not?
    (Do you have to ask before you link somebody? I just hope BlindMan won't kill me.....)
    Just remind the not to expect too much yet, I'm at it for only a week and so far got only five answers...

9. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I don't think you have to ask, but sometimes you can swap links if you ask, and the person who's made the site know that people are taking a look at it and reading it, if you know what I mean.

10. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    hehe, I don't really 'know' what you mean. This is my first site, I'm completely clueless about it all.:)
    But I get your meaning.

(Actually I'm doing this to satisfy my own curiosity. And it IS a great excuse to bug authors.:D [face_blush] )

11. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Geocities is horrible. It may be good for simple sites but if you're managing a big site, it's probably better to get hosting on a domain.

~ aeryn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.