main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Greg Bear Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Greg has written the prequel era novel 'Rogue Planet'. Greg is a well known sci-fi fantasy author, and has written many original novels. Check out his website for details.

Jedi Council Forums Username:

Discuss Greg's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, Greg might drop by from time to time!

2. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I read in the Encyclopedia of Fantasy that Greg Bear is the son-in-law of science fiction/fantasy writer Poul Anderson. Everybody who has read it says that his non-SW book, Darin's Radio is superb.

3. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Darwin's Radio is indeed an extremely well written novel. I loved every page of it. For that matter I also loved Rogue Planet. I have his Eon book on my shelf waiting to be read and at some point I plan on reading Vitals.

4. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    I was disappointed with Rogue Planet but I did enjoy the thing that happened to Anakin at the end.

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, I could never picture in my head / understand how those organic ships were made in 'Rogue Planet'.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That was difficult to picture, true, but I enjoyed Rogue Planet, simply because it was a rarity: A Star Wars story with minimal action, driven by characters. Even the villians were fleshed out.

To be honest, Ke Daiv was a more interesting character as a supporting villian, than say Ganner Rhyshode as a main hero in the Dark Tide series.

Bear brought some much needed easy, slow, character analysis to the SW galaxy in my opinion.

7. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    I enjoyed Rogue Planet... I did have a little bit of a hard time making it through the first 2 chapters, but then the ball started rolling.

An interesting tid bit, from what I understand, Greg and Tim Zahn were writing friends / conspirators early in their careers.

8. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I was disappointed with Rouge Planet. There wasn't much action, and the character developements hardly went anywhere. The writing wasn't very interesting either, and some of the chapters were too long, where others were way too short. Overall, it didn't feel very 'Star Wars.' The only part I really liked was the introduction of Vergere, but I heard that that wasn't even Greg Bear's idea.

9. -J-

-J- Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2002
    I was also dissapointed with Rogue Planet, after reading the X-Wings books i was looking for another action based star wars book. I found some of the character names annoying, and couldnt picture how the seeds turned into ships by sticking onto humans.

10. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    I liked Rouge Planet. Mainly because it fleshed out the early relationship between Anankin and Obi-wan. But also we get a sneak that the Vong have been seen in the Galaxy before. Kind of a forshadowing effect that no one notices.

11. Julia_aka_JJ

Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    I did not like Rogue Planet - it felt slow the WHOLE WAY THROUGH. I didn't want to finish it, but forced myself to do it in order to find out why is was a best seller. It was a little too "out there" - the descriptions were good, but too weird to picture. I also didn't understand the ship making, it was kinda stupid. The ending didn't help it at all. And like NO Obi-Wan, only little perfect Annie... ugh, no more post-TPM, i'll stick w/ pre-TPM.

12. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Moving Mars and Darwin's Radio are both stellar.

13. Crazy_Vasey

Crazy_Vasey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    I quite enjoyed Rogue Planet. The stuff with Tarkin and Seinar was interesting.

14. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble, EU general population, but Rogue Planet (notice the spelling) is the best written Star Wars book to date. It doesn't matter that it didn't have lots of action in it-it wasn't that kind of a book. The point of it was to show the first hints of Anikan's fall to the dark side, not show him wooping ass.

And whoever said there wasn't much character development, you must have been reading the wrong book because the whole thing was character development. Not just Anikan, but Obi-Wan, Seiner, and Tarking were very well developed.

Greg Bear is one of the foremost science-fiction writers in the world. So don't go disliking him just because his work doesn't conform to normal star wars standards.

15. JainaSoloXI

JainaSoloXI Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2002
    One of my favorites. I never realized how good it was until I just finished it for the second time. Great book, IMHO. But I have to say, the making of the ships was pretty hard to figure out the first time though. Other than that a great book.

16. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I thought it was okay. not the best book ever but not the worst, either. I have heard of his other book, Darwin's radio, and i was thinking of purchasing it. Can anyone tell me what it's about?

17. DjFoNiX

DjFoNiX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    yeah.. what is that novel about anyway?? I've seen it in the stores and never had enough strength to lift my arm up to read the back flap of the book.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Greg Bear is one of my favourite sci-fi writers. The Eon trilogy, Moving Mars and Queen of Angels are incredibly good books (the torch from Clarke and Asimov is still alight and brighter than ever!).

I was excited when I heard Bear was going to write a Star Wars book featuring Obi-Wan and Anakin. And I was also worried because I thought many people wasn't going to like his style (let's face it, he's best suited to hard sci-fi). Anyway, I enjoyed Rogue Planet, I think it's a pretty good book (but not Bear's best, of course).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.