main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Greg Keyes Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's true. But than again, why bring back a major character if that name will just be a filler, a background person not vital to a plot?

Why spend several books building up a main character if that character will be killed off and not vital to a plot?

2. ben_07

ben_07 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I hope Greg Keyes visits soon.

BTW, maybe in this book a few jedi will have visions all saying the Return of Anakin. But in the end its the return of Anakin Skywalker!

3. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    BTW, maybe in this book a few jedi will have visions all saying the Return of Anakin. But in the end its the return of Anakin Skywalker!

That is possibly the one thing that could make me denounce the EU completely.

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Anyone here who receives DRIN might want to check out the latest issue.

You can find links to a free e-book download of the first part of The Briar King (or get the entire thing now in e-book form for 5 dollars, even thought it is has not yet been released in hardcover) as well as a link to an interveiw with Mr. Keyes on his new series.

5. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Book One of the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series, The Briar King, by Greg Keyes went on sale today according to Amazon.com.

It is a hardcover and has the listed price of $24.95. As I stated in my last post you can get the entire novel in ebook form for $4.00, or check out an excerpt in ebook form for free at DelRey's website.

I'll be picking up the hardcover within the hour, as well as burning a new hole in my pocket. Sounds like it's worth it though. Doesn't seem to be much excitment for it though (here, or anywhere).

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also -- new news... eBook to arrive in October with The Final Prophecy (also in NJO setting)... w00t! :)

7. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    No, with The Unifiying Force. ebooks will be attached to all new hardcovers, not paperbacks.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oops. :)

Read the announcement wrong.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    In case anyone's interested, here's an interview with Greg Keyes about The Briar King, which, by the way, was very good.

10. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Yeah, I saw another interesting interview at Random House before the book came out. Thanks for the link.

I agree that the book was very good. Very special stuff, while still trying to shake off the genre fillers that overwhelm all fantasy works by adding a deeper historical and cultural aspects. Worth the time for anyone who enjoyed Keyes' Edge of Victory.

11. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    Why spend several books building up a main character if that character will be killed off and not vital to a plot?

I hadn't thought of it this way until reading Remnant, but perhaps the purpose of Edge of Victory was to develop Tahiri for things to come, rather than Anakin. We all came to like Anakin more as a result of these books, so the emotional impact was that much more effective, but I think Tahiri will play a major role in things to come, rather than Anakin.

12. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Okay. Bump.

The Briar King has been out for many months now. Has anyone even seen it? You're walking through the book store and you see it, "Hey. Keyes. He wrote some NJO books. I think Wedge 88 said something about that book once. Neat." as you keep walking along to preorder the next Harry Potter book.

Yeah, anyone? Or has anyone bought it, read it? I mean, besides myself and Mastadge. :)

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Gandolf has read it more than once. JEDI-SOLO's reading it. Some others as well.

14. wilco

wilco Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2000
    I have read the Briar King and I absolutely loved it. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series. Does anyone know when it will be released?

I am also interested in reading some of his other books. Anybody have a suggestion on where I should start?

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Try the Changeling books: THE WATERBORN and THE BLACKGOD. Waterborn is only okay, but Blackgod is fantastic. His Age of Unreason tetralogy is good, but book two is the best, so the ending disappointed me a bit.

16. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I was reading the old mara jade fan club and it mentioned the interview w/ Greg Keyes about "Rebirth" and the ten names he submitted.

Mr Keyes, if you're out there, would you be allowed to disclose this list now? I'd be curious to know what other names besides Ben you submitted.

17. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Colleen,

Just noticed your earlier post in this thread.

Thanks for offering fans of Greg Keyes the chances to preview one of his books!

Michael Potts
    TF.N Books

18. wilco

Aug 21, 2000
    I just bought The Waterborn. I think I'll start it this weekend. Plan on getting The Blackgod soon too, and then TFP on the 30th. September is Greg Keyes month wohoo! :)

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Can't wait for THE CHARNEL PRINCE in six or seven months. . .

20. wilco

Aug 21, 2000
    Well I finished The Waterborn. I liked it a lot. I am starting The Black God now. I also read The Final Prophecy. I thought that it was good. Nice build up to The Unifying Force.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    TFP reviews finally posted:

http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/r_final-prophecy.shtml

22. wilco

Aug 21, 2000
    Well The Waterborn and The Black God were awesome. Thanks for the suggestion Mastadge. I can't wait for the sequel to The Briar King. Anyone know when its coming out?

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    THE CHARNEL PRINCE will be out in August 2004.

24. wilco

Aug 21, 2000
    aaawwh August. I can't wait that long.

25. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    The Briar King was a pretty good read - certainly better than most fantasy books I've read in the past year or two. It seemed to try hard to capture the same dark medieval atmosphere that George R.R. Martin's ASoIaF did - and to a certain extent it succeeds... but in no way do I think it is the masterwork that ASoIaF is.

A solid entry in the field of fantasy fiction is the best praise I can give it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.