main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Greg Keyes Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    I have to say that Keyes did a really good job with TFP. I really enjoyed seeing Corran and Wedge again. Plus, I love the new dimension he gave to Harrar. Maybe Keyes could do a post-NJO book about Corran & Tahiri as a master-padawan team.

Can anyone give some spoilers on the Briar King? I'm waiting til the paperback comes out on March 30th. Who are the central characters?

2. ElegosAKla

Jul 21, 2003
    Just finished reading the Briar King. Absolutely amazing. I particularly liked Anne, Aspar, Stephen, and Neil. Stephen's Quaint and Vulgar Habits of the Common Holter-beast was hilarious. The Briar King himself is nothing like the jolly and peaceloving Green Man and Treebeard. Instead, he leaves death and decay in his wake and uses a greffyn (or griffin as we would call it) as his "pet". My few complaints: some grammatical errors and trying to get used to the word "hayt".

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I picked up The Briar King a few weeks ago. I cant wait to read it !

4. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    The Briar King is a great novel. I finished it a couple of evenings ago.

I really enjoyed how Keyes brought almost all of his plot threads to a nexus at a breakneck and exciting speed!

To be honest, I have no clue as to what is going to happen in the next novel . . . no predictions at all! That is great!

I only had one complaint: Keyes introduces a new character toward the end of the novel. This character's introduction seems to be shoehorned in the midst of the other plot threads. By the time the reader finally accepts this character an his seemingly separate storyline .. . . BOOM .. . . his story ends up totally converging with several other characters established in the first few chapters of the book.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next novel in this series.

5. wilco

wilco Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2000
    Well it's time to start rereading The Briar King to get ready for the release of the next book in the series. Which should be out soon.

6. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Anyone else hope that Keyes is the third author named as part of that 9 book post NJO series starting in '06 ?

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I will very happy if Stackpole or Keyes returns.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    If anyone's interested, The Charnel Prince came out today.

9. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Mastadge, what is that book about?

10. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    It's the sequel to The Briar King. Plotwise it's a fairly standard fat fantasy trilogy, but it's pretty well-written.

11. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    **** yeah.

If only I had money.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I picked up the hardback of Briar King for really cheap, and while I enjoyed it I wasn't quite as blown away as many seem to be. Not yet sure if I'll buy the new one now, or wait until a more economical version is out. If anyone finshes Charnel Prince soon, any feedback on it would be appreciated.

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    It didn't blow me away, either, but I quite liked it. Especially You don't duel knights. On the whole I find Keyes a bit overrated, given the tremendaise praise he seems to receive, but I'm still willing to support him as he's a SW writer.

14. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    He isn't the most talented story teller, but his flair for history and language enthrall me completely. And his characters are simple, but I find myself attached to them more than those of any other author I've ever read, period. Despite that, it's been over a year and a half since I read The Briar King and I'm having a bit of trouble remembering who is who and what is what, though a lot of the entire book remains fresh in my mind as if I had read it yesterday morning. I had to flip through The Briar King a few times as I started looking into The Charnel Prince.

So, yeah, he's one of my favorites. That doesn't mean I don't realize there are better authors out there dealing out more innovated plot lines and ass kicking good times.

15. ElegosAKla

Jul 21, 2003
    Just finished the Charnel Prince, and I loved it. Aspar and Neil are just as enjoyable as before. Anne continues to evolve, and we learn more about Cazio's past. In addition, there is a new character, Leoff Ackenzal, a composer whose part in the story is one of the best. I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't more of Stephen and his witty remarks. Overall, an excellent read, 9.7/10.

On a similar note, as I understand it, the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone is going to be have 4, not 3 books. there is also now a Greg Keyes website, similar to the one for Terry Brooks. The site is not completed yet, but the forum is open for those who are curious.

16. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Cool, can you get us a link? I Google it and just come up with what I've always found, a bunch of interviews. Thanks.

17. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
  18. ElegosAKla

Jul 21, 2003
    For those who are interested, the third book title for the Kingdom's of Thorn and Bone has been announced: The Blood Knight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.