The Official Haters' Community Reincarnation, Mk II

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by KansasNavy, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Master

star 3
    (sigh) Where to start, where to start?

I loved the YJK series with all my heart, and though I never read the JJK series, I still loved Anakin and Tahiri. I am appalled, shocked, dumbfounded and utterly disgusted by the fact that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE CHARACTERS has been completely and utterly MESSED UP from the beginning of NJO onwards.

Amazingly, I have made my peace with Chewbacca's death (sorry, Chewie fans, please forgive me), but the deaths of the Solo brothers and Mara Jade is probably something I can never get over. Nor can I get over the character mutilation of Jaina Solo. I absolutely HATE the J/J ship with an unbridled burning passion, and the recent developments in FOTJ make me want to go to the local bookshop and burn down the entire Star Wars section!

I hate how the Star Wars EU, a place that I could go to when life became too tough, has become so dark and depressing. And the characters that I love have become so warped.

I used to go to the EU when I felt down. Now I've got nothing.

Call me crazy or obsessed if you want. I don't care anymore.
  2. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Greetings Furyan!

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!

I am with you. I am sad about Chewie, but I feel better about his death than the others. His MEANT something. Read my signature. It says exactly how I feel about Mara's death. But if I go to a Mara thread, I get beaten up over being upset about her death.

You and I can be great friends over this. FINALLY, someone who agrees with me!!!! Jaina and Jag is just blah! Jag comes from the Imps and is a Chiss wannnabe, and Jaina is dishonoring her family by being with him. He cannot man up and leave that for her? What a slap in the face to the family who loves her so much and who lost so much on behalf of the people Jag serves. I am not saying she should be with Zekk. But Zekk is a good guy. He made mistakes in his youth and paid for them. He protected Jaina during the Dark Nest Crisis by keeping her from eating the dark membrosia because of his past lifestyle. And that Dark membrosia proved to be very bad if she would have eaten it since it came from the Dark Nest. They could at least be great friends. So I do not really care about Jaina's relationships except for the fact that I do not like Jag. It is a shame he is related to Wedge because I love Wedge.

And do not get me started on Mara. Killing her made me totally uninterested in reading anything after the Dark Nest Trilogy. I am on the NJO now and am at Star by Star :_| and may skip it. I knew going in that Mara died. I am a newbie. But when I read books with her, I was so upset that they took her away. It is a big mistake. They are robbing us blind of good characters. I am trying to be Mara Jade in the Rebel Legion. She is my fave SW character. Used to be Anakin Skywalker/Vader. Still love them, especially Hayden. [face_batting] I have red hair and blue-green eyes. My hair has turned browner since I turned 30, so I dye it to it's most natural color. I am losing weight and hopefully next it will be costuming.

So you are not alone. I am so glad you posted this. I want to add you to my watched friends list. Feel free to drop me a PM :)

~Jaden
  3. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    OK, so I was discussing this awhile back and it's on my nerves. I hate how every reproductively viable female in the Star Wars universe has to have kids. Leia and Han I thought was bogus enough--I think she'd be a little busy running the government and focusing on force-training and Han is... well...Han.

But Mara Jade?! The Emperor's Hand? Come on! There is nothing wrong with motherhood but not all women want to be mothers (or should be). And certainly it's annoying when it is pretty out of character.
  4. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I guess it is just the EU's way of keeping the bloodlines going. I am glad the Skywalkers kept their family bloodlines going. I do not think it had anything to do with a disrespect for women. I think it was just to keep the bloodlines going. I am unable to have children without the help of medicine and have not been pregnant yet. My husband and I have tried and have not had any luck. So it is hard on me because I want nothing more than to be a mom. There are a lot of women out there who should never be moms and who pop out kids like a Pez dispenser. And then there are people like me and my husband who love kids and cannot have kids easily. It is sad, isn't it? I was a preschool teacher and love dealing with children.
  5. celine Jedi Knight

star 2

I'm sure that that is WHY they've done it. It's an easy way of keeping the plot going. But it's a cop out when it has nothing to do with the character. You were a preschool teacher; it makes sense for you to want children. A former assassin for the emperor with no maternal bone in her body? (Mara Jade)...not so much!o_O

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum...I have NO desire for children, and people will NOT leave me alone about it. It's not the average choice and no one can wrap their minds around it. I don't think Mara and Leia are the average girls...if it makes sense to the character, great. If it doesn't, then don't write it.

That said, I wish you luck Jaden. My sister had the same problem and ended up adopting a beautiful little girl.
  6. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thanks celine. I agree, not every woman has to have kids. But sometimes the most unlikely women make the best parents. Mara was a great mom. She was so protective. However, Leia cared a lot about her kids but she passed them off to Winter or nanny droids or Threepio. I know Ben had a Nanny Droid, but Ben has been well cared for. Luke is a great dad. Mara was like a mama bear. I wanted kids way before I taught preschool. In fact people told me it would cure me of wanted kids, but it only made me want kids more. :D It made me realize how good I am with them and how much love I have for all kids, even those who are not mine.

And it is perfectly FINE that you do not want kids. Your desire should not be everyone else's desire. If you are not married and you do want to get married, make sure you find someone who shares your feelings about kids or you will live a nightmare. My husband and I both want kids and we made sure before we got serious that we share common things that were that important like religious beliefs, kids and other stuff. I hear it from my family because they want a grandson but they are patient. Dan's side has both a grandson and 4 granddaughters, but another grandson would be nice. I would love to have a son. :) Not because THEY want a boy, but because I love boys. And I would love to have a boy and name him Anakin :p
  7. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    Don't worry, I made sure my husband didn't want any either. We're approaching our 10th wedding anniversary next week! :)

Society really does place an enormous amount of pressure on women to have kids...i just wish fiction didn't have to as well. :)

8. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Maybe it is personal. I never felt pressured. I never thought about it. Like I said, I always thought of it as a bloodline thing. But perhaps my perspective is a bit different. I am glad you found someone who is happy without children. That makes things so much easier. My husband wants kids as badly as I do and he is understanding about my body misbehaving, LOL, but it is really tough because I know why it is not happening. He is able to have kids. He was tested as well. He has no kids yet. I am 33 and he is 36, and we have been married for 7 years, so I cannot afford to waste time anymore.
  9. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah--think about it--no one asks you why you want kids, or why you have them after you do, but if it's the opposite, it's When are you going to have kids? Why don't you want them?

I really do wish you luck...try not to stress too much...you'll recieve them one way or another...my sister had a long wait but her little girl is awesome.

I just have very large issues with "out of character" actions in the fan fic---there are SO many!!! Like Luke dabbling in the darkside...please, he wouldn't even turn for the emporer. I think he's proven his commitment to the lightside.
  10. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    "But if I go to a Mara thread, I get beaten up over being upset about her death."

It's funny that you said this, Jaden1138, because you should see how beaten up I got over complaining about the out-of-character kids thing.

I'm also a red-head (strawberry blonde) who costumes as Mara, and would like to get into Rebel Legion...and we're the same age. LOL.

11. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Awesome! And you can call me Jaden or Kim, my real name. Jaden might be easier to remember. And I wrote a longer response to the last message but I accidentally closed the tab before I finished it. :oops:

I will not beat you up over your opinion of the EU, because SW is such a wonderful movie about good and evil and it is fun and is very moral as well. I know what it is like to be told to shut up about your opinion. It is not like you are speaking badly about characters. Even I do not speak badly (I do not think) about characters. I do not like what they were turned into by some of the authors. I told people how glad I was that Karen Travis was no longer going to be writing SW novels for Del Rey. LOL! I said she will never again kill another SW character and that Mara's death was avenged. :D Maybe I took it a BIT personally. [face_not_talking]

Haha, I want to dress as Mara and get into the Rebel Legion as well! That is great! My hair used to go from Strawberry blonde in the summer to Auburn in the wintr, but when I turned 30, it started to turn brown like my mom's did. So I dye it the right color now. :( I am 33. I need to lose some weight and buff up a bit. Then I need to learn how to sew. I am domestically-challenged. And I am the one who wants to be a mom. My husband can cook really well. I am the one around the house who can do plumbing, fix the car and fix most anything if I have instructions. I can put together furniture, I am a whiz at computer stuff, etc. Dan, my hubby is the one who can cook, he does the cat litter because it makes me ill, etc. I clean. He has not mastered that yet. :p But hey, he can do litter. I am happy!

Here I am doing my best Mara. Well, the attitude, anyway...

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/carrjammin/Kim/kimmara.jpg]

It is great to meet another Mara fan and wannabe. :) She was underappreciated by the Lucas camp since they killed her off. It was Travis's idea and the Lucas camp said okay, from what I understand. They did not tell Timothy Zahn, who created her or Shannon McRandle, who was chosen to be her likeness, until the book was about to be released. That just really annoys me. But Zahn is over it enough to write for them again. Shannon goes to SW events but she is sick right now. She is on my Facebook. She has kids and has a husband in the military. She is not well right now. She is very strong. In a lot of pain all the time and raising those kids and watching her husband risk his life for this country (USA). I am glad to be aquainted with her even on a small level. I told her to ask her doctor about a med I am on that might help her pain. I hope she looks into it. It is used for my mild Bipolar. I know all about it because I mod a forum about it. :-B I am all for helping people with the resources I have...which is usually personal experience. And that is worth a lot. I have a genetic disease called Familial Adenomatous Polyposis. I have no large intestine and I have an ileostomy (a bag) which needs to be reversed as soon as I am in shape. :) My tummy is a little pudgy. And, yeah, the pic on that link is not exactly what my colon looked like, more like what my dad's looked like. He had thousands, I had 250. My sis had 500, and I had mine out at age 28, she had hers out at age 22. Her daughter, who is 11, has the disease as well. It looks worse than it is.

So I have a bunch to put up with physically, but there is always someone else who has it worse than I do, I know. I keep getting tests to show my GI tract and I know all is fi
  12. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm so sorry about all the physical problems. :(

I'll have to PM you when I get the time later, so we don't go way off topic! :)
  13. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  14. Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey, I'm back. Sorry for not replying earlier Jaden, it just slipped my mind.

Anyway, I'm disgusted at the way characters get mutilated, and in many cases simply killed off purely for shock value. Obviously Mara Jade is a prime example of this, as Jaden will no doubt agree with me. But I think it totally sucks every kind of sucking the way that the Solo kids were screwed up.

Think about it:
    Anakin was killed off before he could realize his full full potential.
    Jacen became a Sith and killed Mara before being killed himself by his own twin sister.
    And Jaina is most likely going to abandon her family to join the Empire, a regime that tried to kidnap her and her brothers numerous times when they were only children.

I have been in stables that have less horse s--t than that!

And I have said this before, but I pray every single day that everything from NJO onwards gets declared non-canon, and they start fresh. I'm not even religious, but I pray anyway.

But apparently, the powers-that-be are not going to learn their lesson. No bloody wonder I'm depressed.
  15. ANAKINS_CLAW Jedi Grand Master

In reply to Jaden1138 (sorry to hear about the health problems btw)

How can I be wrong about what I hate? ;P No offense but I don't really get why you're saying I'm wrong for not liking this and that because etc, etc. The point of this type of thing is to vent about what you don't like and maybe have a laugh about it, not have to justify it.

So how about I hate what I want to and you can do the same.
  16. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    I hate how hayden christensen gets blamed for the crappy acting in EP II.
    If you REALLY pay attention, you'll see that the reason why he looks so like he's over-acting is that Natalie Portman is under-acting. she's not even acting. She's reading the lines. In the whole "I killed them all!" scene, she doesn't move her arms from her sides the WHOLE time.

I mean that's totally what i would do if my bf killed a whole tribe of adults and children--stand there like a card board cut out while he threw crap around and cried.
  17. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I am quoting this, ANAKINS_CLAW, so you can see I did not tell you that you could not hate anything you wanted. I just disagreed with you and was telling you my opinion. Read further into my discussions with celine and you will see that I was telling her that I was told to get over my opinions of Mara and not to speak about them. I told her I would not tell her those things about her opinions. Believe me, I am not doing that to you. I am disagreeing with you. And I told you why. That was it.
  18. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    It IS a discussion thread, so I'm okay with a little debate. :) Otherwise noone could say anything after the post except "yeah, me too."
  19. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Seriously, I may have come across badly, I did not try to make anyone mad there. [face_peace] I respect your opinion even if I do not agree, or I think you are "wrong" as I said, ANAKINS_CLAW (nice name, BTW). I sometimes do come across harshly. You still do not have to get my permission for your opinion. :p I am not arrogant like that. I am SO sorry you got the wrong idea. I am very passionate about my own opinion. I was never allowed to have an opinion growing up so I tend to be passive-aggressive at times. Not to mention I have mild Bipolar. My mood has been crazy over the last few months and I found out it was my thyroid giving me trouble, and throwing my moods off. :mad:+:D=8-}

EDIT: And celine, I agree with you about Hayden's acting. The SW movies are known for their "wooden" dialog and I have seen Hayden act in other movies before and after TW. He is following direction. And his acting is very different in non-SW stuff. As is Natalie's, actually. I mean, seriously, watch the lightsaber battles and tell me the guy cannot act. Or watch Jumper. That is some great acting in my humble opinion. He is very good in action movies. In interviews Hayden is very shy. He is a very nice person. I would love to meet him. I fell in love with SW because of him in movies. I was not a fan of him or SW before AOTC. And ROTS nailed it for me. I used to make fun of SW with seeing it. My husband is a big fan and I saw the first 2 movies at home and then ROTS in the theater in 2005. The the Old Trilogy. I am officially a SW nerd and proud. I also love Star Trek. I grew up on Star Trek. I was born in March of 1976 when ANH started filming and my parents never took me to see ANY SW movies. Now THAT is child neglect. :p
  20. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    ESB was the first movie i saw in the theatre. Front row! 3 years old! AWESOME.

Portman, I think, is an inconsistent actress. I've seen her give great performances and I've seen her be very below par.

AOTC, she was terrible. She gave Hayden nothing to play off of. His scenes with Obi-Wan are good, because Ewan is trying. My personal opinion is that Portman was in college, and that Star Wars was more of an imposition on her then she wanted, so she put little effort into it. That said, I thought she had done a great job in TPM.

But I do get annoyed that nobody notices her suckage in the second movie.
  21. Jaden1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I know what you are talking about in AOTC, celine. She does look like a statue when Anakin is spilling his heart out inside the Owen's home. I do like her scenes on Geonosis, though, and on Naboo, particularly the picnic with Anakin. The picnic was a good scene for both of them. It was fun to me at least. Anakin was showing his colors a bit.
  22. Luminous-Being Jedi Padawan

Okay I am sorry, but I am reading the NJO series for the first time and just finished Star by Star. Is it just me or was the mission to Myrkr to kill the Voxyn queen a stretch and a half??? What exactly is stopping the Vong from shaping another queen??? So it was easier to clone her, big deal, doesnt mean they can't make another one. This mission is worth seventeen some odd Jedi??? Please [face_not_talking] [face_not_talking] [face_not_talking]
  23. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    "I was born in March of 1976 when ANH started filming and my parents never took me to see ANY SW movies."

Jaaden, are you a Pisces?
  24. Heavy-Metal-Baby Jedi Knight

This is Jaden is sock form (until tomorrow I think...24 hour game ban)...

Yeah, I am but I am not into Astrology. [face_peace]
  25. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm a pisces too. A pisces that's not into astrology. It's not possible.

I hate that I hate so many of the star wars books. LOL.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.