The official hosting companies thread

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by JediGaladriel, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    This thread is to talk about the advantages and disadvantages (and unpleasant surprises) of the various hosting companies out there.

Homestead has a pretty good WYSIWYG editor online--I can get what I want from it, and it has some fun features. It's a bit expensive, though, and hand-coded pages are a minor hassle because they have to be uploaded to a folder rather than going into a root directory, so the URLs are that much longer for referring people to specific places.

Aimoo is a terrific message board service. But don't be lulled by your two week grace period. After that, there's pop-up Hades until you cough up the cash. :)
  2. Macewindu77815 Jedi Master

star 4
    Boardnation is a pretty good message board hoster and it is free!

Avidgamers is a little lacking in the graphics departmant but other than that it is pretty good but sometimes they go down for a day or so.
  3. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I run an ad-free, no cost, hosting service from www.xieish.com - It's basically No Frills, but it's great for simple webpages, files, and icons. The images are remote linkable (Like with the [image] code, unlike Geocities or Angelfire), and it's simple to use. :)
  4. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    My domain is hosted at ICDSoft and it's been really good so far!

-sj loves kevin spacey
  5. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    My personal site and my FanForce chapter's site are both hosted with 34sp.com. They are very reliable and cheap. 99 percent uptime too.
  6. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Aplus.net has served me well for two years. It offers a great package -- domain name, 250 megs hosting, pop3 email addresses, and unlimited bandwidth for $10/month. It's hard to beat that nowadays.
  7. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]For people who don't need unlimited bandwidth, Doteasy.com is a good choice. For 25 bucks a year, you get your domain name registered and for ZERO dollars a month you get 20 megs of storage, 10 e-mail addresses and 1 Gig of transfer a month. [/color]
  8. ami-padme Force Ghost

star 4
    I also use Homestead to build my website...I'm starting to think I'm the only person in here who doesn't hand-code because I know very, very little HTML. [face_blush] For anyone like me, Homestead is a great and useful editor, easy to understand and follow. I've never had any real problems with it and I've found it great to work with.

And I also use Aimoo for my message boards, and I think they're a great message board service. I pay for a sponsorship program (for me, it's more than worth it), so I can't speak to the issue of ads on the free version, but Aimoo has great features, great support and to me seems very user and admin friendly.

9. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    For message board services, I highly recommend phpBB. The board itself rocks and is one of the most customizable systems I've ever seen. Actually, Night4554 got me hooked on them.. [face_blush] They're my all time favorite and I'd never use anything besides them anymore. :)
  10. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    I host a few sites at Direct NIC they are $15 for domain name registration. They have free hosting options with either a popup or a banner, but for $15 a year you can eliminate those pesky ads.

I've never had any problems with them at all!

For free stuff I recommend Geocities . I use them for uploading pics and linking to them outside of Geocities. They have some neat templates and a WYSIWYG page maker thats relatively powerful.

To get around the "image not found" Geocities error, rename your picture file to anything.TXT and it will work outside of your Geocities homepage ;)

for example :- [image=http://www.geocities.com/malkie_pops/mallab.txt]

tada

malkie
  11. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    //shameless plug

Or you could use xieish.com, which has no ads, and allows remote linking without renaming anything. //cough//
  12. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    If you want a free-hosted website, there really is no need to tolerate banner or pop-up ads. A lot of people don't realize that.

The only problem is if you want advanced coding like php, or asp etc. That's a little harder to find a freehost for that.

There used to be free hosting space exclusively for Star Wars sites around, like yavin4 or something. I wonder what happened to those?

http://www.freewebz.com

^ there's a free, no ads webhost, which I've used in the past.
  13. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Tell me more, xie. What about space and bandwidth?

I need lots of both because I have a very bad habit of not compressing my images. I like to retain quality. I know you dial-up users must hate me! [face_mischief]
  14. Shadows_545 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I came across this site while searching for a host, might help some people out...
    100 Best Web Sites

Shadow...
  15. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Unlimited bandwidth, only 10mb of space. My space is finite.
  16. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
  17. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Talk to me in a few months, when I switch hosting companies. Right now that isn't feasable for me. :(
  18. LittleJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Ehehehe, I use xieish.com and love it to death since it suits me perfectly. ;) :D Tis a force-send.

As far as message boards go, I love YaBB. :D

LittleJedi
  19. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
  20. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I personally use two seperate YaBB Gold SP 1.1 boards on my site. One for the main forums, and one for the House cup. I have modded the main board heavily, but it is still a great board.

Carosel will come in here and praise some php board though. :p
  21. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    all four of my sites are hosted at brinkster.com. i learned about brinkster from another obidala webmistress that hosts her site at brinkster. i remember when i was having trouble and felt like giving up, i talked to her on-line and asked her about different hosts i could use.

and brinkster came up. i remember i signed up with brinkster awhile back but i wasn't familiar with ther system then and then i started to work with brinkster more. and i love it there :D there's even had .html codebanks forums.

and even though all my sites are free, there are no commercial banners.

Brinkster
  22. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    SWSites.net is a free SW-themed host. You can get 20 mb space, unlimited email addresses (youname@yoursite.swsites.net). You also get a choice of using thier own Page editor, upload your own from your PC using thier FTP, or completely copy your old site to the new domain name. Unfortunatly with the free service you get ads, but if you pay (Can't remember how much, you get no ads and larger webspace).
  23. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dreamwater is another good free host. and you get a free subdomain, excellent for linking bak to the site.
  24. Shadows_545 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Anyone know if this place is any good? is 30 gigs per month transfer good for that price?

http://www.ipowerweb.com/

Shadow...
  25. Yodaminch Chosen One

star 6
    I use Chatareafor forums.its free and there are no pop up ads. though there are ads and if you want to get rid of them you have to pay i forget how much. most features are in the works such as private messages.
    and as for my site. its aol. easy designer ain't that easy my comp freezes so often, but there are no pop up ads and its free.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.