The official hosting companies thread

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by JediGaladriel, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artofwot Jedi Master

star 3
    I use Valueweb, and to tell you the truth, I think they're pretty expensive. I'm going to be switching my account to either IT3.com or another one I've bookmarked.

Valueweb.com sells your address to other businesses. I've gotten tons of junkmail from them, both e-mail and stuff showing up in my P.O. Box.
  2. OBIX1 Jedi Master

star 6
    Night:Wow,that company is great! I'm planning on switching over to them.I was always happy with my Geocities account,and I would have stuck with them,exept it's hard to pay 9 bucks a month just for my small website.2 bucks a month is much better. :D
  3. darthtuttle Jedi Master

star 4
  4. darthtuttle Jedi Master

star 4
  5. ps2_jedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I use Geocities Right now, I work on 2 Sites,

http://www.sonicstop.net
    and
    http://www.game-surge.tk
  6. darthtuttle Jedi Master

star 4
    The problem with lnhost.com is thier tech support. They have AIM, YIM, phone, or e-mail. I can't reach them by phone (that is with thier out of UK number they have a different number for those in the UK). They sometimes don't answer thier e-mail. And when they do it might take forever. They are rarely on IM.
  7. xffilms Jedi Youngling

Does IT3 let you put videos that you make on your site? Thats the main factor for me. I agree though, the prices are great!
  8. TheSithLordSion Jedi Youngling

What about www.hostnuke.com? I really like PostNuke after seeing some of the stuff it can do. Here is the bill of a Home package with registering a domain for 1 year. Plus it installs PostNuke. I havo no HTML/PHHB exp what so ever, but I found a great site about PostNuke that helps me more than www.PostNuke.com does. Here it is www.IraRichardSmith.com. Please help! I need suggestions!

Order Details

kjhfkjdsjkhfkjhjkkfhkjd.net (Primary) Domain:
    1 year @ $14.95
    Main Package Hostnuke 150MB:
    12-Months @ $107.88 + Setup: FREE
    Install PostNuke?: Yes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Domain(s) Total $14.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Package(s) Total $107.88

Sub Total $122.83
    Total Due $122.83*

* $107.88 will be due on the next renewal date: 01/28/2006
    (Domain renewals billed separately.)

Here are all of it's features*(of the Home package)
    150MB webspace
    www.yourdomain.com
    10 subdomains (something.yourdomain.com)
    Unlimited POP3 mailboxes!
    Unlimited yourname @yourdomain.com email aliases
    Unlimited email forwards
    Unlimited autoresponders
    FTP access
    SSH access

POP3/IMAP4 server
    3 MySQL databases
    phpMyAdmin database control panel
    SSI includes
    PHP 4.3.4
    Python
    Perl 5.8.3
    CGI-BIN
    Shared 128bit secure SSL server
    Web Mail
    Website admin control panels
    .htaccess
    Custom error message 404 etc
    Password protected directories
    Optional PostNuke Preinstalled and ready to go

What does *Shared 128bit secure SSL server* mean? I share the server with somebody?

9. saerah Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I highly recommend Dreamhost.

http://www.dreamhost.com
  10. Darth_Gnosis Jedi Youngling

I don't work for a host and I have gone though quite a few. I used to use APlus.net and they were really reliable but they were also really expensive. You really don't need unlimited bandwidth unless your streaming music or movies so I would not pick a host for that reason. After aplus I searched around for a minute and ended up with some really cheap host called onestopserver.com. They were terrible and ripped me off. DO not under any circumstances host with them. Finally, however, I went to my ccurrent host who has been really reliable and affordable. Also, they are flexible so you can sometimes work out a special deal if you chat with them. Check out http://www.electhosting.com. The server speed is good and the company is stable.
  11. JediWannaBe123341234 Jedi Youngling

If all else fails try forumer, they offer free forums and blogs. Check them out at http://www.forumer.com.
  12. TI1800 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I concur with Saerah's recommendation of Dreamhost. For a full featured host, their offerings are very generous for the price.

They're not necessarily for beginners, but for the experienced Web admin who knows what to do and what all the terminology and functions are, DH is hard to beat (I've gone through a lot of Web hosts over the last 8 years).

About $30/month gets literally gigs of space, transfer rates (I hesitate to say "bandwidth", because technically they're different things), more shared domains than one can shake a stick at (my account can host up to 15 separate domains, and I think I'm running about 8 right now; yeah, I'm kind of a domain whore :)), blah, blah, blah.

But they do have sales nearly all the time, it seems -- I'm paying $30/month for my plan, but I think it's cheaper right now.

Their control panel is VERY comprehensive and they actually listen to their customers when they want new or modified features (they actually implemented one of my suggestions a while back).

Okay, enough of my sales pitch. :) In truth, I really do love them, and I'm going on 3 years that I've been with them, which is pretty frickin' impressive for an Internet company.

13. emimar Jedi Youngling

star 3
    One of the best hosting sites that I've come across and I use for my site, is bravenet.com. I like the host because they allow you to edit html files no matter what program you originaly made it with and I think the ad ons are some of the best you can find.

I used to have my site hosted with geocities but I got fed up of the geocities thing being at the start of the url, the ad square that obscures one side of the site and the fact that I couldn't edit files that I'd made in netscape composer.

I have a free account because unless you're site is a commercal one then I don't see why you should have to pay for it to be hosted. The only problem I've had with bravenet are the adverts that appear at the top of my site and those animated ones that you have to put up with when you're trying to edit your ad ons, but the other benefits out weigh that. They also have a free site submission to search engines, which is always useful and a meta tag generator for the title, descriptions and keywords of your website.
  14. David_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I use ProBoards for my forum site. http://www.proboards.com
  15. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I very highly recommend Canaca hosting. They have good prices, reliable service, and (from what I've experienced) good server speeds as well. Plus when you sign up they supply you with a bunch of great tools and such to help manage your site. I hosted my site there and haven't had any problems at all - and I plan to renew my service this coming summer. Just wanted to let you all know.
  16. TI1800 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I have a free account because unless you're site is a commercal one then I don't see why you should have to pay for it to be hosted. The only problem I've had with bravenet are the adverts that appear at the top of my site and those animated ones that you have to put up with when you're trying to edit your ad ons, but the other benefits out weigh that.

A paid account isn't just for commercial sites. Paid accounts offer MUCH more than any free account ever possibly could, and the differences are noticeable to those who know what to look for. It's the difference between a finely tuned muscle car and the average 4-door subcompact economy car -- both can be driven by anyone, but specialized knowledge and skills will make the muscle car perform even better :D

As you've said, you're plagued with ads and other assorted extras that your host applies outside of your control. They have to make money somehow! :)

It is indeed up to the consumer to ultimately judge what is best for them. None of my sites are commercial in nature, but because I have multiple sites with several different, advanced features, a free account is just far too limiting for my needs. I think I outgrew the free accounts about 7 or 8 years ago :)

But again, it is up to the individuals to determine what is best for themselves. Both free accounts and paid accounts have their benefits and drawbacks.
  17. CKnetworX Jedi Youngling

etc ? a place to promote your clan ? or maybe just some
    space to distribute your latest mods or programs.
    Or for you musicians, maybe a place to launch your fan base...
    or a place just for the band to meet up.

Dependable, lightning fast, and secure Apache server.

Demo Boards/portals

http://cknetworx.game-host.org/testphpbb/index.php (we set it up)

http://cknetworx.game-host.org/smftest/index.php (we set it up)

http://cknetworx.game-host.org/ipbtest/index.php (we set it up)

http://cknetworx.game-host.org/mybbtest/index.php (we set it up)

phpNuke <-- (you set up)
    space for php, html, cgi files...etc.

Package #1 (FREE)
    ----------------------------
    400 MB space
    10GIGS bandwidth/mo.
    1 MySql database
    M-Panel
    1ftp account
    ftp access (all permissions)
    unlimited transfers
    98% uptime
    CGI, PHP,Java, Perl, MySql
    upload filesize (no-limit)
    no ads/banners or popups
    (www.CKForumz.co.nr/yoursitename)
    (www.cknetworx.game-host.org/yoursitename)
    (www.WCKNW.kicks-ass.net/yoursitename)
    FREE set up

Package #2(FREE) - Ad Supported
    ----------------------------
    500 MB space
    10GIGS bandwidth/mo.
    1 MySql database
    M-Panel
    1ftp account
    ftp access (all permissions)
    unlimited transfers
    98% uptime
    CGI, PHP,Java, Perl, MySql
    upload filesize (no-limit)
    Google ads
    view example ad here
    (www.CKForumz.co.nr/yoursitename)
    (www.cknetworx.game-host.org/yoursitename)
    (www.WCKNW.kicks-ass.net/yoursitename)

www.cknetworx.game-host.org
  18. DarthDolly Jedi Youngling

star 1
    For a free hosting site with no ads, I recomend Graffiti.net. I have a site hosted with them. Only thing to note is that you shouldn't use IE when you're editing your page.
  19. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Does anyone know something similar to proboards.com (in the way it's run and it's simplicity) that won't give you stupid error messages like 'There are currently too many connections to this server. Please check back again in 30 seconds.' When there are only four members signed up, 2 online, and one guest looking?

It's aggrivating.

Also, has anyone ever used moonfruit.com? My friend uses it for his band and I think it looks pretty cool, but has anyone had any experience with them? I usually prefer hand coding but as this is a small site and it's not a personal page, it's for a group/club, I'm interested int something else.
  20. artofwot Jedi Master

star 3
    After doing a lot of research, I found a hosting company that is cheap and has lots of features.

www.hasweb.com

I've used them for a clients site, and I'll soon be using it for my personal site.
  21. DarkJedi12 Jedi Youngling

Does anybody know a place where4 I can create a site for FREE and not have to pay for it at all?
  22. Lady Kenobi Jedi Master

star 1
    THANK YOU for the recommendation of Dreamhost. I switched over a couple weeks back after investigating the amazing deal they offered (yes, they do like to have a lot of sales). It has been a "dream" to get two full sites setup and running and play around with some nifty featured that are offered, like one-click installs of some popular programs.

And of course there is plenty of room to fill up with sounds from Star Wars, the point of AudibleBeauty.net :)
  23. princesskenobi4 Jedi Youngling

95mb.com and 125mb.com are really good free webhosts. They give you free FTP and lots of space. 125mb has ads, 95mb.com doesn't.

Don't try putting images on a 95mb.com account, though. It does this "no hotlinking" thing.

I used to use 95mb, decided I needed more space and went to 125mb.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.