main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 'How Did You Star Wars Today' Thread

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Something new and fun for us all.

A lot of us here have been in the Expanded Universe Community for some time. Not all of us follow anything nowadays. Other among us are relative newcomers, and have came in via various niche interests, such as Mandalorians.

So, what draws you in to Star Wars?

What interests you most, series-wise, or character or faction-wise?

I'd like to open some new fan clubs around here, but with the EU being what it is nowadays - i.e. MASSIVE! - I'd like to open one or two that would have actual traffic. :p

For example, I love Fate of the Jedi, and Lost Tribe of the Sith. Does anyone else - enough for me to open a new FotJ fan club for the last two entries? :p

When this thread becomes older, it can purely be a discussion of how you Star Wars'd today. For example, I Star Wars'd by finishing off the Bacta War! Beautiful book. :cool:

2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Count me as one of the niche following newcomers. :p I admit it, I am a sucker for Mandalorians, than again deep down I have nothing against either the Sith or Jedi either. Ok maybe a few problems, but I like them all. Obviously the RC series was big for me, but I enjoyed parts of the X-Wing series as well. I never read much of the Vong stuff, it just didn't seem "star warsy" to me, though everyone is welcome to their own opinion on that. I finished the LoTF series earlier this year and while I wasn't blown away by it, it was for the most part enjoyable. I haven't gotten to the FoTJ yet, but I suppose someday I should.

The Old Republic stuff, some of it I have read, other stuff I haven't. Again it just doesn't hold my interest, but your mileage may vary. At this point I find I am most interested in the Clone Wars era, the formation of the Empire/Fall of the Republic and of course the Rebellion and its immediate aftermath. Thats why I can forgive TCW animated show, in the end I still find most of it entertaining, as does my three year old son.

As for how I Star Warsed today? I bought my aformentioned son his halloween costume today, he is going as Captain Rex (his second favorite TCW character behind Anakin I think, shhh don't tell him he becomes Darth Vader [face_shhh] ). After we got home we had a massive lightsaber fight with his sister. I think she won. I also added yet another Lego Mandalorian Battlepack (did I mention I love collecting the Star wars legos?). I have to build up my army after all if I am one day going to declare myself mand'alor. :p

3. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    I am an all-around EU nut. I have practically read every novel with the exception of some of the new stuff, I am half-way through the Legacy-TPB series, I watch TCWs every friday, own all the DVDs (including season 1 & 2 TCW), I am hoping to get a blu-ray player & and the complete saga at Christmas this year, I even own all the parody DVDs (including Fanboys), and I listen to at least one Star Wars soundtrack everyday.

Today's track was Dual of the Fates from E1-TPM.

Yes I am an EU & SW FANatic!!!

Need I say more.

4. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Hopelessly hooked on the EU, read most novels besides the Bane and Zombie horror books. Never really got into Comics but that's more of a 'where do I want to spend my money' then a back turn as I tend to scope out reviews of the comics to sortof get what's happening. So yup, a reluctant fan of the new series of books and TCW. As for movies I own the eight on VHS and DVD, all except the new TCW movie, and despite not liking some of the revisionist actions on Bluray I most likely will recieve it as a present by the end of the year.

What did I do starwarsy today? Why I came here, and I plan on reading my "The Illustrated Star Wars Universe" by McQuarrie and Anderson as a reward after I finish my paper due today.:-B

5. StarTours87

StarTours87 Jedi Knight

Jun 12, 2011
    I first read EU a year and a half ago, stating with the Thrawn Trilogy. Since then, I've read much, and I love it! :)

What interests me most? Droids interest me most, followed closely by Jedi philosophy.

I'm not sure why I like droids so much, but I love those books about/with droids, such as Jedi Twilight and Lando's story in the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy. I would love to read a book or two written entirely from a droid's point of view. Would anyone else like this?

I like reading about Jedi philosophy because it forces me to think and ponder. The Dark Nest Trilogy, in particular, made, and still makes, me think about the importance of the ends and the means, and the difference between good and bad. I have yet to read about Vergere's Philosophy, and I'm sure it's interesting. What book is it in?

No, I don't love Fate of the Jedi, but I did think some parts were interesting.

I SWed today by reading some blogs and browsing the boards here. Yeah, nothin' much today, but my family and I plan on watching all 6 films in order, one or two a day, very soon. (Possibly starting with TPM tonight!):) Should be very fun.

6. Niclas

Niclas Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2011
    Like StarTours87, I think Jedi philosophy is really interesting. Though it sometimes seemed to go a bit overboard, I enjoyed the little debates on the role of the Jedi that popped up in the NJO books.

I'm a really big fan of the Yuuzhan Vong. They are the main reason I keep plowing through the NJO (I'm only about half way through the series). I love the fact that they aren't just mindless baddies, but have a complicated and interesting culture and philosophy. I even found myself cheering them on against the big, bloated bureaucracy of the New Republic.

Anyway, the Yuuzhan Vong definitely got me back into the EU.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't really recall when I got into EU. I know my first books were the Tales anthologies. What I like about the EU hasn't really changed much since those years so long ago, and it has an influence on what I read; I prefer the stories about the unknowns and the scums of the galaxy. You won't find much NJO or FotJ on my shelf (FotJ was too expensive to buy in hardback); my shelves are populated by the side stories and snippets of the galactic denizens that most overlook. Bounty hunters, mercenaries, fringers... I got Death Troopers and Red Harvest in my collection because they held my interest more than Outbound Flight or... *shudder* Rogue Planet. The Coruscant Nights books are on my shelf because I like the gritty film noir atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I've read the main tomes of EU, but I find the other stuff that no one else likes to be more interesting than Thrawn. And, as much as it may bemoan some people, my tastes don't intend to change.

Anywho, how did I SW today? I read an Insider issue, drew a Gand and a Rodian, and edited Wookieepedia.

8. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I... came back? ;)

9. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    How did I Star Wars today? Why the same way I do every day...

Imperial Symbol tattoo [face_love]

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Let's see... worked on a SW fanfic, showed off my portfolio for the umpteenth time, and right now, sitting adjacent to the computer monitor is Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Yeah, pretty much the usual. Oh yes, and Zuckuss is my cellphone wallpaper and I used that phone a few times.

11. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    How did I Star Wars today? Walked past my car, saw the Imperial logo decal on it. Talked to tattoo artist about touching up my Vergere-quote tattoo. Ahh, such a wonderful fandom that eats my life.

12. GenSkywalker

GenSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2010
    Saw a license plate about a month ago that said RBLSCUM!!!!! I thought that was pretty awesome!!!!! :D

13. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Three words: Role Playing Forum. [face_dancing]

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As I was toting a bag of laundry six blocks to the laundromat, I was about a block and a half away and said to myself "Almost there... Stay on target..."

Oh yes, and I was wearing a SW shirt.

15. Darth_Vaders_Sock

Darth_Vaders_Sock Jedi Master star 2

May 10, 2009
    I visited the JCF :)p) and looked for a red action figure lightsaber on ebay.
    And I'm wearing my AT-AT light blue Haynes manual shirt today ^-^

16. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    I put up my Christmas tree complete with Star Wars Hallmark Keepsake Orniments :D

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm plotting a mini Echo Base for this year's Christmas village. Already got the tauntaun made.

18. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As I'm lugging my bag of laundry to the laundromat... "Almost... there! Stay on target..."

As I'm waiting for my laundry to wash and dry, I sketch some bounty hunters doing their laundry and lamenting on how they never see Fett at a laundromat.

As I'm returning from the laundromat with my bag of laundry... "Almost... there! Stay on target..."

And I worked on a Yoda acrylic painting.

All I needed was a SW shirt, but instead, I was wearing a TMNT t-shirt.

20. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    So I went to the doctors office to have some blood drawn. I was sitting in the second waiting room wearing my new Star Wars Tee:

[image=http://planetmut.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/starwarstshirt-550x354.jpg]
    (Can't believe that I found the exact image!)

and reading FotJ-Backlash:

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/0/0e/Backlash_Front.jpg]

The nurse honestly asked me, "Do you like Star Wars?"

At first I thought she was being sarcastic, but realized that she wasn't when I answered her, "Uh, yeah."

Then she hit me with the bigger shocker when she continued on with the conversation by saying, "Oh. I couldn't tell you who any of the characters are with the exception of..."

Are you ready for it?

Has everyone taken their blood pressure medication?

Have you guessed it yet?

Here it comes...

"...JAR JAR!" :eek:

My jaw hit the floor when she followed that up with, "And I only know him because of him coming to my Taco Bell years ago."

Needless to say I later found out that she was a "TWILIGHT fanatic"[face_sick]

:p

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    D:

That's just... Wow, my explaining my Greedo shirt to people just doesn't compare...

Anywho, I'm wearing my rainbow Chewbacca t-shirt and I was working on my Yoda painting. Been working on the painting all week. I will post pics of it when it's done.

22. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Managed to avoid hitting the Empire decal on my car while de-icing it this morning. And there's an R2-D2 plushie in my cupholder.

23. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I have much RPing to do today. First Shadow War and than Limmie! :D

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Wearing my Marc Ecko Yoda hoodie, the hoodie that I affectionately call "Bead Yoda." I also updated my Failbook page with some SW pics I did.

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm going to toss some ideas in here, not that they will be good, but I've hung around these parts a lot the last few years and maybe, just maybe, I'll say something useful.:p

One thing that the EUC is clearly about is roleplaying, and I think that its a good thing that so many people can take enjoyment from that activity. Yet roleplaying isn't something that everyone may enjoy or relate to.

I've found that the Fan Clubs are heavily used just to support the roleplaying aspects of the EUC, links to Roleplaying are advertised in the various topics through elections, through voting for favorite patrons as well as the actual roleplaying taking place.

And I don't think that any of that should change as there clearly is an interest of many here, but I do think that sometimes it overshadows some other aspects of this community.

For instance, in the Mandalorian/Republic Fan Club Community, Lanna with the support of myself and a few others started what I thought was a very interesting Learn to Speak Mandalorian segment a couple years back. It actaully went on for several months and I don't know that it ever got a mention outside of the Mandalorian topic.

Now maybe we, as the Mandalorian Fan Club, could have done more to promote this outside of our thread, but to me there really doesn't seem to be an avenue to do that. I certainly wouldn't have felt comfortable going into every other club to advertise what we were doing and invite people to take part.

Now I'm the first to admit that I don't really get what the whole Senate & EUC Emperor stuff, nor do I need to. I respect that its something that people enjoy even if its something I'm not interested in.

Yet it seems like that if your not interested in that, and its roleplaying like flavor, that your kinda on the outside looking in. So while I'm interested of being a part of these fan clubs and this community, and have been for sometime now, I feel like I don't have an avenue open to myself to contribute ideas.

It would be great if some way could be found to keep everything that is already enjoyed by many about the EUC while balancing that with some news ideas, to attract new traffic, with offering a real focus on the clubs themselves. Currently I really feel like the clubs themselves are a secondary part of this forum, something thats kinda used as a stepping stone to get into the roleplaying aspects of the Senate, rather than being interesting destinations of their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.