main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official "How do I say that?" Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by mxcp204, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Good thing English isn't the only language with the rime "un".

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Long post like that bout the pronunciation of one letter.
    With an 'I was a teacher' thrown in.

*shakes head*

Explain to me... Why does Boss Nass call the gungans 'goongans'?

It's Star Wars... Earth logic doesn't always have to apply. So unless there is some authoritative word on it, everyone can pronounce Kun the way they like.

3. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Plus, it's a name. Name's don't necessarily have to follow the standard pronunciation guidelines. They are what they are and that's that.

4. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    ...because he has a terribly, fake Jamaican accent?

5. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    So, with the evidence proven thus far, I've been correct calling Zuckuss Zoo-kuss and not Zuck-us?

6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    No, that's just because you're trynna avoid saying 'suck'.

7. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Kun = Kuhn, because I hear koon and think of a furry little animal in my garbage can, not evil powerful Sith Lord.

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    As an ESL teacher, I'm surprised you're so unwilling to accept pronunciations of words that don't necessarily follow English rules. The correct pronunciation of Kun's names has always sounded perfectly fine, to me, but perhaps that's because I'm not only bilingual, but spend a lot of my time reading about various world cultures. I, for example, never had an issue pronouncing the name Xizor. "Shee-zor" was the only thing that made sense.
    Well, he has a Gungan accent, but that's kinda the point: there are many different cultures and accents and manners of speaking represented in the galaxy.

9. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Which could mean that Kuhn and Koon, and any other weird way we say things might work in the GFFA. Koon is a Coruscanti accent, Kuhn is Corellian.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Not necessarily, because people tend to want their names pronounced correctly. If a Hispanic person's last name is "Valle," then you'd pronounce the "ll" as an English "y," and if his name is "Gutierrez," then you wouldn't think of pronouncing the "u" as anything but an "oo" sound.

11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    There we are: Coruscant.
    Perfect example. No rules could dictate you leaving out the c in pronunciation; only vague reference or the Flanelled One can.

12. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I have had many Hispanic friends say "either way" when someone does say their name wrong. Good example, I have a friend named Eloy, most people call him "ee-loy", when it is said "Ell-oy". But when someone calls him "Ee-loy" it doesn't phase him, he's just like, "either way is right." Like if I go to a different country and my name is pronounced "Mii-ke'" I'm not going to complain... it's different cultures.

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I'm still not sure how to exactly pronounce ysalamiri.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm sorry, I forgot for a second we were trying to pronounce words in English. I didn't realise, you see, given the distinct similiarity between English and basic in all it's forms.

o_O ;)

So really, it turns out that people didn't make a completely unsupportable leap of the rules of English in saying Koon for Kun - no, they were speaking Basic.

And watto, yeah, I spent a year in Taiwan teaching kids this same repetitous crap with vowel sounds. So maybe I have a fraction of an idea what I'm talking about...

"Goongan", you say?

Yeah, and how often do people, including Jar Jar, say G-UH-ngan?

Sorry guys, WE speak English. And therefore when WE pronounce words we are very much bound by the rules of it.

Look, you can say Koon if you want but unfortunately, in English (the language which, you know, the people who wrote the stories speak), it's Kun what rhymes with bun, fun, gun, run, nun et al.

Sure would have been foon to see Eeexorr Koon croosh all those boogs and send them rooning in Derk Nist, right! ;)

Right? [face_worried]

E_S

15. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I've had friends pronounce it Zye-zor...

16. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004

I think I may have too, for a while, until I heard the Shee-zor pronunciation.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think the Basic speakers say "Gungan." This does not invalidate Boss Nass' pronunciation of his own race's name.
    As an English speaker, you're free to mispronounce any words you like. That does not mean that those words do not have an actual correct pronunciation. There's perfectly good examples of this in-universe, too: no one bothers to correct Dodonna's pronunciation of Leia's name, or Lando's pronunciation of Han's name, and considering that Han and Lando come from similar backgrounds, it could very well be that Lando's the only one pronouncing it correctly. Hell, given what we know of Shyriiwook, everyone's mispronouncing Chewbacca's name. Furthermore, if we're going to assume that Basic = Modern English, then we also have to assume that most names in the SW universe do not come from Basic, but from other languages, as we usually don't derive names by smashing together meaningless sylalbles.
    So did I, but my point was that, if you're exposed to the fact that the "sh" sound in other languages is often represented by an "x," it's easier to arrive at the correct pronunciation of what would otherwise seem a very foreign word, indeed.

18. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    Ya, I meant pow for the end of Utapau. And yes, a lot of these were pronounced in the movies, but people still argue over them. I guess I don't like Kun as Koon because its too close to my last name :p

19. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    Is that the popular stance? I always assumed basic bears no similarity to English...its just an instant translation made for the benefit of the reader...well, and because basic doesnt really exist.

20. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    :oops: D'oh, double post! :oops:

21. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    I agree with your sentiments on the flanneled one, but:

"Scene", "Scenario", "Science" -- the "c" is left out of pronunciation. Of course, in those examples, the "sc" is followed by a soft-sound indicating vowel ("i" or "e"), and not a hard-sound indicator (such as "a" in Coruscant).

And Ender, you should well know that English is absolutely LOADED with contradictory pronunciations and conflicting linguistic rules. Even if in almost all other cases a particular pronunciation is correct, it is not true for all cases. It's the peril of having a language that is derivative of many different languange sources, and is also why English (especially "American") is often very difficult for non-English speakers to learn.

C'mon, it's a language in which, by phonetic-linguistic rules, you can spell "Fish" as "Ghoti". I don't think Kun=Koon is that much of a stretch. [face_peace]

22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    As wrong as I probably am, I like saying "YIS-sall-uh-MARR-ee." Except when it's written after the word "an". Then I make it "IS-sall-uh-MARR-ee." :)

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I tend to subconsciously agree with you while going through SW stuff, but a lot of readers prefer that Basic is, literally, English. Ender_Sai, the fellow I was responding to seems to be one of those "lot of readers," hence that quote.
    The actual spelling is "ysalamir," which I tend to pronounce "ee-SALL-uh-meer."

24. mxcp204

mxcp204 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 13, 2006
    I say ee-saluh-miri

25. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    So when you meet people with foreign last names, I assume you pronounce them as if they were English, regardless of how they're supposed to be said? "Sir, I know your name is really pronounced "Martinez", but I speak English, so the right way to pronounce it "Martynz". I hear you come from Cancuhn on the Yuhcatan Peninsula?"

Seems a bit arrogant to me to say that everyone's name must be pronounced by the rules of your language, but hey, it's your right.