main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official how-to Sound Effects thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by keithabbott, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
  2. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey, this thread deserves a **bump** :D

It realy should be a STICKY topic at the top.
    Or, at the very least, included on the FanFilms Forum Links list. :)

Good Job, Keith

3. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Sound effect....what seems like on this site the final frontier.

4. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    JT..I agree completely, and thanks. Too many people ask about sound effects, that it really should be a sticky.
    Keith

5. Tempestjonny

Tempestjonny Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    yeah tahnk's for the help keith....i was a good i dea it just didn't set off. hope fully this time it will.

6. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    You're very welcome everyone. :)
    <insert *bump* here>

Keith

7. XackAttack

XackAttack Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    I'll need this thread later....

*BUMP*

8. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Just a quick note. Sound Dogs is back up for those interested. It's a pretty decent site actually, just some of the files are not so good quality and others are. Just gotta weed through them all.

Keith

9. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
  10. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    A friend of mine at work also mentioned to me today that you can pick up old portable reel to reel recorders dirt cheap these days. So if you need to do audio effects outdoors or on location, you can't beat $10-$50.00 considering the price of portable digital recorders these days.

Just another bit of information.

Click here for links on Ebay.

The key word though is portable. So you may want to refine your search using the criteria above.

Keith

11. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

Thanks! I found exactly what I needed!

-saber_holder

12. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah, thanks. I'm not actually working a Star Wars Fan Film but still like to use some familiar sounds in the film that I am doing.
    It gets my vote to be stuck up top. :D

13. Aliensfilm

Aliensfilm Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2000
    "BUMP" This needs to be "STICKY" :)

14. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I sat on the tram the other day, and the whole tram sounden like a pod-racer.. so Im gonna seek up this tram with a recorder and hope thay havn´t fixed it :D

EDIT: Speeling

15. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    I'd really like to hear how that tram effect comes out there Dark Overlord. Can you post a link to it when you get it done?

Oh and here are two more resources for effects:

SoundRangers.com

AudioLicense.net

Keith

16. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    yea, sure. I just need to find it before they get it fixed. but If I find it I´l sure put up a link.

17. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
  18. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    To help with consolidation of information, I'll repost my Sound entry from the Tutorials thread: (some updates added)

[b]SOUND[/b]

The whine of a Tie fighter, the pulse of a blaster and the distinctive hum of a lightsaber are every bit as important to Star Wars' identity as The Force, 1138 and "I've got a bad feeling about this."

How do you get these sounds into your own fanfilm? In addition to these staple sound effects, how can you effectively record your own sounds? Check out some of the resources below....

[b]SOUND FX ON THE WEB[/b]

The fastest and easiest way to get Star Wars sounds into your own film is to download the sounds files from web libraries. Most sounds are available in WAV format, which is compatible with virtually every video editing software package in use today.

You can start by browsing TFN's own libraries:
    [link=http://theforce.net/theater/postproduction/soundfx/]TF.N Theater Sound FX Library[/link]
    [link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Audio]TF.N's Multimedia Audio Library[/link]

There are also a few privately maintained sounds libraries listed in the [link=http://www.jushhome.com/AmMoviePort/links.asp?CatId=142]Amateur Movie Portal's Sound Libraries Page[/link].

[b]VIDEO GAME EXTRACTION [/b]

Another excellent resource for sounds can be found in video games!
    Many library sites overlook the subtle sounds of footsteps, switches, alarms, etc. These can be found in the support files of video games along with engines, numerous blasters, saber effects, droids and even dialog. Also, many sounds used in the LucasArts games are first generation digital copies of the isolated sound fx used in the original movies.

You don't even have to buy the games! LucasArts has free, downloadable demos of all of their most popular games. These demos include most of the sounds. Here are instructions for getting sounds from two specific games. (These instructions work on both the full and demo versions)

[link=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/phantommenace/splash.htm]The Phantom Menace Video Game[/link]
    TF.N's SciFi3D site contains a specific utility and instructions on extracting sounds from this game. The utility is [link=http://www.theforce.net/scifi3d/web_help/scummrev-2011.zip]SCUMM[/link] and the instructions, written by Clay Kronk, are [link=http://www.theforce.net/scifi3d/web_help/scumm.txt]right here[/link].

[link=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/demo.html]Jedi Outcast[/link]
    The sounds for JO are even easier to extract.
    After installing the game, locate a file called "assets0.pk3".
    This file can be expanded with PkZip or [link=http://download.com.com/3405-20-871449.html?part=50220&subj=dlfpp&tag=button]WinZip[/link]

[b]RECORDING YOUR OWN [/b]

Recording you own sounds can be very satisfying, (or frustrating), depending own your interests. As with anything, be prepared to go through LOTS of practice before you're able to consistently get the results that you are after.

As a very interesting tangent, take a look at [link=http://hem.passagen.se/filmljud/starwars.htm]this page[/link] that details how Ben Burtt collected and created the many sounds of Star Wars.

[u][i]Recording Environment[/u][/i]
    Before you even make a sound, let alone record it, make sure to try and get the best environment possible. Basically what you?re after is a place with little, to no, ambient or outside noise (there is little that kills the illusion of a galaxy far, far away than the sound of a passing airplane, air-conditioner vent or the sound of the nightly news coming from the next room.) This is the really the most difficult thing to control. There is very little besides distance and/or concrete that actually blocks out sound. (Basements are a good place to start.)

The next thing to watch out for is reverb or echo. Obviously, something like a bathroom will have lots, but there is almost always some echo in most rooms, especially of all the walls and floor are hard. (mmm, sounds like the basement again) We are so used

19. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Hey, thanks for posting that Nick. Some of that info came in pretty handy.

Hmm, so when are we gonna get a sticky??? ;)
    Keith

20. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The easiest thing to do would be to post a link to this thread in the Tutorials thread linked in the forum header. Then it should be easily available.
    I leave the honors to you. ;)

Have fun!

21. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
  22. OBI-JUAN2002

OBI-JUAN2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2001
    I believe that existing threads cannot be "sticked". For a thread to be "sticky" it must be posted as "sticky" by a mod.

Juan

"The Premonition" -- The First Spanish Star Wars Fanfilm ever... in english!

23. Adam_C

Adam_C Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2003
    Thanks for posting this keithabbott, I think everyone will aggree that jedi knight sounds are getting a bit over used.

-Adam

24. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    To my knowledge I haven't used any of the JK sounds myself, although I did snag one from SOTE. A sound most people don't know is there anyhow... ;)

Keith

25. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.