main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official how-to Sound Effects thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by keithabbott, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    mandatory bump

2. SobiWan

SobiWan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2001
    Apparently, there is a new "scumm" utility to extract from the "Battle Front" game. I don't know if it does audio.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136083

which is cached at:
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:n_oL5OKQ_CcJ:www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php%3Fs%3D%26threadid%3D136083+SCUMM+%22battlefront%22&hl=en

says:

Hi!
    I wrote a little utility to view and extract all background images, room objects, costumes, animations and fonts from most of the LucasFilm/LucasArts games. It is still in beta version, but maybe someone is interested. Some stuff can of course also be achieved using the various editions of ScummRev, but I wanted to have one handy tool just for this purpose.

You can download my LucasRipper from this page:
    http://www.tobybear.de/stuff.htm

Cheers

Toby

www.tobybear.de

3. qui-gundi_15

qui-gundi_15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    *bump*

if lightsaber effects can have a sticky so should sound fx

4. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    I couldn't agree more.

5. qui-gundi_15

qui-gundi_15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    can any one tell me how to achieve a vader voice(similar to knightquest) using goldwave.

6. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Do you have a guy that can do a Vader-type voice? 'Cause if not, you're not goign to be able to fake it very easily at all.

I've still got no idea how they did it for the EpIII teaser.

7. Noobie_Wan_Kenobi

Noobie_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2004
    I've still got no idea how they did it for the EpIII teaser.

Either they used James Earl Jones or someone who sounded almost like him. There is no way you can picth and stretch your voice to sound like Darth Vader unless you sound like him yourself i.e. like James Earl Jones.

8. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    It's not JEJ, and according to Dorkman, it's actually Hayden.

9. Noobie_Wan_Kenobi

Noobie_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2004
    It's not JEJ, and according to Dorkman, it's actually Hayden.

Yeah I know he said that. But I don't believe it without solid proof.

10. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Time for a bump.

*bump*

11. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
  12. CountDoosheee

CountDoosheee Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I can tell you with certainty that this is not James Earl Jones. When I fast forward his speaking voice, or old Vader lines, it sounds silly. When I fast forward the trailer line, it sounds like Hayden Christintiengsissygen. Albeit with distortion - you can hear his voice, along with a deeper sort of reverb thrown on top... if I was an expert sound guy I could explain it with proper terminology, but I've heard this stuff done before (I've even done it to mahself - mind you I've got a low voice so it isn't necessary! Haha).

Either JEJ sounds different after all these years, and they told him to say 'mastur' like Hayden C... forget the last name... or it's just him.

PERSONALLY... doesn't bother me either way.

13. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    *BUMP*

Nice collection...should be a sticky. (hint hint to mods) ;)

14. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    *double bump*

Great stuff for n00bs and vets alike. This would answer a lot of the recurring audio questions if it were a sticky...

15. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    An existing thread cannot be made into a sticky. It must be started as one. The NEW MEMBERS - Read This Before Posting! thread has this one linked in it. That should (should) be enough.

16. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Thanks for pointing that out rogue. I had skipped over the link to this topic until just now. (Yes I've read the new members thread lol.) Just bringing it to the top...I appreciate the note.

Later.

17. cooljack91

cooljack91 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, try to get a mod to make it a sticky.

*bump* :D

- Ian

18. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah... but... it can't... I just...

I'm done.

Edit: No prob DVe. I do what I can.

19. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Well I've tried it all...

Does anyone know of a good place I can get a TIE Fighter cockpit noise from?
    I have tried:
    *The OT DVD's - all I could get was a couple of samples about 1 second long that do not loop terribly well.
    *Making my own - using a Formula 1 engine sound, it's kind of similar. Didn't work too good.

So yeah - I was hoping some enterprising soul might have a loopable sample of the TIE Fighter cockpit noise? From a game or something, I dunno.

Cheers.

20. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Hmm, do you just mean the sound of the engines in the background heard from inside the cockpit? I would think the trench run from ANH would have that...if that's the sound you're looking for lol.

21. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well, look into the games from the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series from Lucasarts. X-Wing Alliance especially.. you should be able to find a looping track in there.

However, the TIE attack on the Falcon or the Battle of Yavin may have the sound as well, assuming there's not music on top of it. I'm not sure where you'd find that in the other movies.

22. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Heh.

I checked all the movie sequences with TIE cockpits in them, that did not have a musical score on top of them.
    I also did a fair bit of playing around with the ac3 files to see if separating the 5 tracks revealed any clear segments of sound that I could loop - to no avail.

Someone suggested X Wing vs. TIE Fighter - have you played that, and if so, do you recall if the cockpit noise was in that?

23. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    In the Rogue Squadron game you could fly as a Tie-Interceptor...I think there's a cockpit cam too...

24. Macro_Roshuma

Macro_Roshuma Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
  25. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    somebody should start a huge star wars sound archive. sound bunker is crap, half their sounds are screwed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.