main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official how-to Sound Effects thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by keithabbott, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    You're in charge! :D

j/k - seriously though, do you mean just compiling all of the known Star Wars sounds from places like TFN, the sound bunker, and other sites like those? Or do you mean like a complete redo of every sound effect possible? Just wondering.

2. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    yes the TIE cockpit sound is in XWing VS Tie. My brother and I used to create audio dramas with all the sounds that came with the game. The best part is that you didnt have to do any converting or magic tricks to get the sounds, they were just in one of the game directories (IIRC). Its an awesome source for sfx.

3. CountDoosheee

CountDoosheee Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Wicked! I really don't feel like buying a whole game for one sound (I'm poor) but I suppose the moment I come into some money, I'll grab it.

(And don't look at me like that! I'm not just poor... I really am out of money at the moment.)

(looks at internet bill, thinks of advantages of just pulling the plug)

4. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Hey wicked, they have a demo and it has the sounds I need. Some neat cockpit noises in there from a few ships - and the best thing is that they are authentic, no reproductions there.

Just wish I had a joystick, I'd play the game too!

5. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    i just mean there should be a site with as many clean sounds as possible. every time someone finds or makes one the site doesn't have, they submit it.

i'm sort of trying to build that, but i don't have access to a lot of video games that would have good sound files on them. all i've got are things from sound bunker and jedi outcast, and some alternate versions i've modified.

6. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Sounds like a neat project. I've already got my hands in a lot of stuff otherwise I'd offer to help...but if I ever pull sounds from games or anything I'll be sure to let you know. :)

7. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i'm just building a sound library for my own use. but if someone had a place to host it, i'd do that too. as it stands, i can do some sound trading over msn withy anyone who's made something of found something rare.

8. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Once it got large enough I would imagine it could be something that lots of people would love to have access to...definitely something to consider.

9. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    well that's irritating. i just borrowed kotor from somebody, and you can't access sound effects, only diallogue.

10. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    You could do some in-game rips...

11. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    What a bummer. In 1997 they used 11khz sounds. I suppose I can do something with that (in the meantime, I'll have to chase someone who has Battlefront or Galaxies or whatever for some higher quality sounds. AAK, it never ends).

12. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Have you actually tried to rip the cockpit sound from ANH yet? The reason I say this is just because it has music doesn't necessarily mean the effect can't be isolated from the music.

Also another consideration would be to play as a Tie Pilot in one of the games. While, the game is playing record the audio. Just leave the music settings to zero (if possible). I haven't played any of those games in forever but I'd say it's probable you could get what you're looking for that way. And if you have SWG and JTL installed, you might be able to get the audio that way also. I'm not exactly sure what the ties sound like there as I play as a Rebel.

Keith

13. Azerael

Azerael Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    Hmmmm... I only read 1 1/2 pages of this thread because I couldn't be screwed reading it all after looking through those sites for sounds.

I need a sound effect for the Lambda-class Imperial shuttle. I already got thousands of sounds from X-Wing: Alliance, but it isn't there. Does anyone have it, or know where to find it? Seems pretty rare to me...

14. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    ^ ^

Have you tried ROTJ? There are lots of shuttle sounds in there if I remember correctly. Just a thought.

15. Azerael

Azerael Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    I don't own it, and I don't have the equiptment to record from it even if I did...

I just need one sound... I can manipulate it from there... If anyone has it... RISE UP AND SMELL THE MUSIC! And send it to me... PLEASE!

16. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    I have to ask..why do you want a sound effect if you dont have the proper equipment to rip from a movie? I mean, this is the fan films forum. Are you actually putting together a fan film without a DVD drive and/or sound card? or are you just asking so you can use the sound effect for Windows XP's sound theme or something like that?

Keith

17. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Another USEFUL LINK TO REMEMBER:

How to sound like Vader

If this link goes dead in the future, just do a search for Darth Vader Voice Changer by Hasbro.

Keith

18. Azerael

Azerael Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    I'm making a Flash movie... You can find a "trailer" for it here:

http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/215423

19. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    In a very roundabout fashion I finally found a higher quality TIE cockpit noise (it was in a mod for a game called Bridge Commander. Hooah)

Yep, I did try getting the noise from ANH originally. The music during the Millenium Falcon vs. the TIE Fighter sequence is much too heavy, and the TIE noise isn't very loud in that scene.

As for the Death Star battle, there is a stretch where there's no music to speak of, but the sound didn't loop well because there was shifts in the pitch. I didn't feel like correcting that. And now it's moot, because I have the sound I was after. Hooah!

20. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    does anyonew have any of these sounds?

the energy sword from halo. activasion, swing, short out, hit, anything. other covenant/forerunner sounds too, anything that could have a star wars use.

sounds from kotor. sabres, blasters, force powers, whatever.

and has anyone made any original sounds?

also, does anyone know what the original activation sound was made out of?

21. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    oh yes, and i'd like to get as many of the episode 1 and 2 sabre clashes as possible.

22. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I believe the original effect was a mix between a noisy fan and the hum of an old television set...I could be wrong though.

23. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    do you mean the hum or the activation?

24. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Sorry, I was thinking the hum. I'm not sure about the activation, although I recall something about electrical arcs...

Lol sorry for the confusion. :D

25. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    it's mostly activations and clashes i'm interested in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.