The ***Official*** I have a Question about the EU thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeRules_PadmeRocks Jedi Knight

star 1
    LAJ_FETT, thank you yet again! You've been a great help.

If I may ask though, I was wondering does Troy Denning compose these scenes as Luke (and whoever is with him) watching R2's holo-images and then commenting about their content? Or is Luke (and Co.) commenting during their showing?

Once again, a bigtime thanks for all your help.
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    A bit of both. The description of the images themselves and accompanying sounds is in italics. There is some intermix with description of reactions and commentary by those watching along with some hisses for silence. The end result reads basically like an excerpt from RoTS in the novel. The italics make it easy to tell the excerpts from the ongoing events.
  3. LukeRules_PadmeRocks Jedi Knight

star 1
  4. CrazyHillbilly619 Jedi Knight

star 1
    A few questions:

Do we know what the USD/credit exchange rate is?

What exactly are the effects of cortosis weave on a lightsaber? Does it just not get cut, or does it go right through the lighstaber blade? How much do you need to make the blade deactivate?

5. jSarek VIP

VIP
    star 4
    It doesn't map well, because many things have grossly different costs relative to what one would expect on Earth. For instance, you can buy a glow rod (basically, a flashlight) for ten credits, which is roughly what you'd expect for a good flashlight on Earth. However, you can buy a large, galaxy-spanning starship like a YT-1300 for 100,000 credits new, or as little as 25,000 credits used - the latter being the cost in dollars of a nice new *automobile* on Earth. High performance fighter craft like X-wings cost a mere 150,000 credits new (compared to a cost of several million dollars on Earth, and ours can't leave the atmosphere, let alone across the galaxy).

That said, for regular items you could expect to find on Earth, credits seem to equate reasonably well to late 1980s or early 1990s dollars on a 1:1 basis - not unexpected, since many of the RPG books that established costs of items were written in that timeframe. So you can buy a sleeping bag for 15 credits, a chronometer (watch) for 25 credits, or a recording rod (tape recorder) for thirty credits. A full outfit of casual clothes will run you 75 credits, while good work clothes or formal clothes will cost you 100 credits. Renting a regular apartment costs between 250-500 credits per month, renting a house costs 750-1,800 credits per month, and buying the house outright costs 35,000.

(All the costs quoted in this section from from the Star Wars Sourcebook.)

Also rather inconsistent in the sources. I'll let someone more familiar with the video game versions of cortosis tackle this one.
  6. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    The New Essential Guide to Droids has the clearest answer: the most common form of cortosis simply resists lightsabers. The rarer form will short out a lightsaber for a brief period.

Cortosis weave will generally be the first kind.
  7. aesium Force Ghost

star 2
    Who publishes the hardcover LotF books and how do people obtain them besides eBay?
  8. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Science Fiction Book Club

www.sfbc.com
  9. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    when did the leader of the madalores go from mandalore to manda'lore?

seems a senseless change to me
  10. Imperialles Jedi Knight

star 1
    Mand'alor is the Mando'a (the Mandalorian language) word for the title. "Mandalore" is a Basicification.

Oh, and a question about Sacrifice: Are the "Roche" mentioned representatives of the droid manufacturer Roche Hive Mechanical Apparatus Design and Construction Activity for Those Who Need the Hive's Machines, or do they represent the government of the Roche asteroids in general?
  11. Daniel0605 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Why is K'kruhk present in Dark Times and Legacy, but not in between the two? Please, I want an in universe reason.
  12. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Wait until we get more of his backstory and we'll find out.
  13. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4

when was this created? the only thing i've read that has used it is the KOTOR comics.
  14. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    When Karen Traviss created Mando'a. So, pretty much Triple Zero.
  15. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    must've taken a whole 2 minutes for her to come up with that one :rolleyes:
  16. jSarek VIP

VIP
    star 4
    Well, given that one should expect that "Mandalore" would be a loan word from Mando'a to Basic, a simple (and yes, probably quite quick) back-formation was an extremely logical choice.
  17. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    What's not to love about Mand'alor? Say it out loud a couple of times. Mand'alore. Mand'alore. It's much better than plain old Mandalore.
  18. LtNOWIS Force Ghost

star 4
    Putting an "e" at the end of a mando'a word indicates a plural. So, vod is brother and vode is brothers. (Or sisters, as there's no gender in the language.)

So, Mand'alore means Mandalores. But Mand'alor means Mandalore. At least, that's how I understand it.
  19. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Mando'a = 1 Mando
    Mando'ade = many Mandos
    Mand'alor = Leader of the aforementioned bunch
    Manda'yaim = home plante of the bunch
    Mando = strictly speaking and adjective or adverb

What I wanted to know, actually, that tree-spy system in the senate buliding on Coruscant, did it have a name? As a source for the Empire, I mean. Plaps wouldn't call it 'tree-thingy-in-senat-hall', I think.
  20. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Delta Source? wookieepedia it and tell me if I'm right :p
  21. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Yup, that's it. thanks.
    Stupid name, no wonder I didn't remember.
  22. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    it's only stupid because there doesn't seem to be an Alpha Source, Beta Source, etc.
  23. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    And I thought that was because the trees were a kind of delta (like for rivers) from whixh the data came down.:confused:

New question, in the game TIE fighter, there are those tiny 'ships' that are attached to containers to move them. I thought they were called 'tug' but that seems to be a huge misconception.
    Does anybody know what I'm talking about?[face_batting]

EDIT: I hate wookieepedia.

Why don't they show up an article for 'Utility Tug (TUG) when i come looking for 'tug'?:mad:
    At least, I now know my memory is still working fine.
  24. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    I have a question for anyone who can help me!

How much of Alan Moore's classic tales, reprinted in Devilworlds, is canon? Flight of the Falcon is definitely non-canon, but a recent starwars.com article mentions that one of the tales contains a "very offbeat tale of transdimensional non-corporeal aliens who inadvertently kill Princess Leia and send stormtroopers into the distant past while experimenting with time and space." Source.

Is this tale canon? I know that it says that Leia dies, but for all I know, they go back in time and save her. I had thought flow-walking was the first time-travel thing the EU did, what with Alien Exodus cancelled and all.
  25. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I've been re-reading LOTF: Sacrifice and Inferno to refresh my memory for Fury. I'm sure this has been asked before, but could the old Kiffar in Sacrifice be Quinlan Vos?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.