main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* "I'm worried..." Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by GriffZ, Oct 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Who cares... Remember when the ep1 trailers came out... ppl said that they were better than the movie. when the movie came out, ppl bashed it.

Now, when the ep2 trailers came out, ppl are bashing them, complaining that they suck. I believe there's a 50/50 chance that ep2 will be better than the trailers as when the ep1 trailers were better than TPM. See what I mean?

2. TravCon12

TravCon12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Here you go Crafty.

3. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    If anybody is worried about Christoher Lee's duelling abilities look at at the Clone War trailer: Anakin is attacking him with 2 lightsabers while Lee blocks the attacks with one hand and without changing the position of his feet.

Also, he doesn't only use the lighsaber to attack - he also has considerable force powers as well.

P.S: Is Travcon12 the earliest to join the council (been a long time since I've seen anyone with an earlier registered date than myself)

4. JediDa-cam18

JediDa-cam18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    Im worried about people worrying to much!

5. TravCon12

TravCon12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    I have been around here a long time indeed Sifu, slacking off for nearly 4 years now. I think there may be a few a month or 2 older than mine, but I have only see 1-2 of them in my time.

Ah the great days of Jasman, Darth Ludicrous, the mayor chronicles, etc. those were the great times.

6. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Tray-

Don't forget Chyren! Wonder whatever happened to him?

By the way (just to make this on topic)...as long as the movie doesn't 'feel' cardboard-like much of TPM did-then it should be ok...and from what everyone has said so far, it is an improvement.
    V-03

7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm not worried about anything in AOTC> I'm going in with my expectations lower than TPM and hope I get blown away by the film.

8. Masterlucas

Masterlucas Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2002
    I'm really tired of people judging the acting and dialouge of a movie based on trailers.

Natalie Portman is a great actress and Hayden Christenson was a golden globe nominee, lets give them the benefit of the doubt until you see their whole performance.

When has dialouge in a SW movie not been a little corny anyway?

9. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Riding the reek
    Dialogue exchanges
    The soundtrack ;)
    Boba Fett
    Jango Fett
    Many of the lines, like "Begun this clone war has" and Dooku babbling on about capitalism
    Yet another battle on a planet
    No 'star wars'
    Bad opening crawl
    Lightsabers in all the colors of the rainbow
    Yoda as a "great warrior"
    Mace Windu when not in action
    The Queen's family subplot
    Jar Jar Binks as a Senator
    Jar Jar Binks as the one who solidifies Palpatine's power
    Tatooine again
    Repetitive sequences like Obi-Wan slicing a character's hand in the diner
    Super Battle Droids
    No Clone Wars. Just a Clone battle.
    The Clonetrooper helmets.
    Too little Darth Sidious.
    More poor designs from Doug Chiang

Just to show you that I am a good boy, here are things I look forward to:

Obi-Wan Kenobi as a detective.
    Jango Fett and Obi-Wan fightin' in the rain.
    The lightsaber duel (again).
    Natalie Portman. I understand why Boss Nass slobbered the second time in TPM.

10. dash101

dash101 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    .. dear god..

:_|

Ohh god am I worried!

-dash101

11. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    What worries me is the absolute comittment people have made to this movie. I checked the link provided by Griffz, and lo, the topic was locked. Like all other topics dealing with the fact that "AOTC" looks to become another crap SW movie. The author was IMMEDIATELY called an idiot.

But critizing the movie before it is released is not different than gushing about it before release.

12. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    I'm not worried about the movie as much as I'm worried what the movie will do to Star Wars if it sucks. Star Wars cannot take another blow the size The Phantom Menace. Lucas is in a do or die situation. Save Star Wars or end it. Episode 3 will severely feel the effects if AOTC is another disappointment. Thats fact, people.

13. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    This movie will be awesome

have you seen the trailer in the theater???

14. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Yup. It looks great. The only thing I'm worried about is the dialogue - from the last two trailers it seems very cheesy, even by Star Wars standards.

15. admiral jimmy

admiral jimmy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 1999
    Rupert your lack of arguments is disturbing.
    Even for a SW basher it´s a shame to have less than 3 arguments!
    (And TPM was no blow.)

16. admiral jimmy

Nov 14, 1999
    And I don´t care if anybody cares about EpIII as long as it is shot!
    Survive another TPM? YOu make me laugh Rupert-dude! TPM made 930 million $ (+ DVD) worldwide at the BO! And that money comes from repeat business (BO expert Jabbadabbadoo may agree). TPM was a fun movie and only people who expected it to be the Holy Bible on silver screen were let down!
    People will love AOTC because it´s the underdog at the magazines unlike TPM. Spido and LOTR invest much more in the hype (LOTR needs some hype to keep it alive).
    And if I´m worried about anything than it´s organized bashing (and that´s what TPM bashing is. A few days after seeing TPM only a few times most fans thought it was a great movie.. but then the conspiracy started)

17. admiral jimmy

Nov 14, 1999
    what trailer? ;)

And if someone expects a movie to be the best movie in a zillion years he has to be let down!

18. Gillian Keady

Gillian Keady Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 1999
    TPM was bad the first time I saw it. I did not expect it to be the best movie in ages, however I did expect it to be a film on par with the original Star Wars. TPM was nowhere near it, and, in fact, was alet down for even reasonable expectations.

19. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    Why the heck do you people keep bringing up box office totals as if it means something? Is money the only way to justify if a movie is good or not? That means Godzilla and Armageddon are two of the finest movies made. Titanic must be the greatest movie ever made..... even superior to Citizen Kane?

Phantom Menace wasn't a failure money wise. The movie was a failure in terms of decent filmmaking.

20. sidiousmd

sidiousmd Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2002

I hate darn bashers, but, you know, i know their kind, they are the negative guys who go in life saying that "every past time was better", over, and over and over. There will never be anything that fulfills bashers expectations, because they are biased, biased to think that the past was better.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    $500 million worldwide, a huge amount of money for any normal summer blockbuster, would be considered a failure for a Star Wars movie. Granted, it would be enough to justify making Episode 3, but it would convince everyone that Lucas has lost his touch.

What benefitted TPM the most was the position the OT enjoys in pop culture. Because of the unprecedented success of the SEs on top of the original run, most males under the age of 50 in the U.S. pretty much felt that missing TPM would be "un-American."

The negative reaction to TPM was widespread enough that Lucas does not get a free ride for AOTC. People will no longer see it just because it's a Star Wars movie. They'll want evidence that it's decent before they'll put down good money. With TPM, people went even though their friends told them it was "ok" or "not bad."

So I completely agree with those who think that Lucas's reputation is at stake with AOTC. If it doesn't deliver solid entertainment across the board, GL will be branded an out-of-touch has-been by the masses. First, the movie has to make at least $800 million so it's in contention for most successful movie of the year. Then about 70-74% of the critics need to say it's much better than TPM.

A solid critical response, lower-profile merchandising, a strong and unified positive reaction from the fans -- that's what AOTC needs most.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    True, the box office numbers mean something in terms of popular appeal, but not always that people think the movie's good.

Harry Potter made more money than TPM. Is that because kids and adults all thought it was great? Not necessarily.

Many adults felt they had to take their kids because of the pop culture phenomenon of the books. It was a mandatory event for parents.

Same with TPM. Because of the pop culture power of the OT in America, many people felt it was almost "un-American" to miss TPM. The hype was huge, the wait was long. Many parents took their kids because they wanted them to experience the Star Wars as they experienced it in their childhood. But the kids were not impressed. TPM did not light a fire under children. It did not move them. Almost en masse, little kids did not think TPM was cool.

The end result, as a previous poster stated it, is that it's now do or die for Lucas. His reputation is now on the line. TPM delivered the money, but not to the merchandisers, nor did it deliver the first-class entertainment that many people were expecting. In the minds of most people, it was "ok" or "not bad."

GL seriously needs 70-75% of the critics to put in writing that AOTC is "much better" than TPM, because people are not automatically going to see it this time. I was there for the audience response to the AOTC trailer in front of Ice Age -- there was none. The kids did not seem to care.

23. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    For those who think the magic is dead or who are upset about a film that isn't even released yet.

24. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I don't think anybody needs to be worried about the magic being lost :) Episode Two is a superb movie. I was watching it again last night, with my old pals Rick McCallum, Harry Knowles and Yarael Poof. It's the 38th time that I've watched the movie, but it still gets me every time. It's all magical. McCallum is great in the arena. Poof shows Dooku a trick or two, with his quadruple light-milk shake's. Portman delights in waving her buttocks in front of the camera at evert possible opportunity. It's magic :) Watto even pulls a rabbit out of his hat at one point !

25. Andy_Wan_Kenobi

Andy_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Exactly what Sapient said!

You guys haven't even seen the trailers yet!

I personally think the film will be awesome and I really don't care what other people think of it! As long as I enjoy it then nothing else matters!

Just enjoy the film people!

Don't look at it as being some sort of school project that you need to analyse! Just sit and enjoy it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.