main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* "I'm worried..." Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by GriffZ, Oct 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admiral jimmy

admiral jimmy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 1999
  2. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    UP!

We need this thread now more than ever.

3. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Griffz where are you man??// Come back you annoying little guy......

4. Ded-Man

Ded-Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2002
    The fact remains some of you gushers just aren't listening.

This is do it or die time. This is make it or break it.

Star Wars cannot - let me repeat - Star Wars CANNOT take another TPM. Just because it now has a fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes, just because it made almost a billion dollars worldwide - these things mean nothing! Nothing I tell you! You must face the HARSH REALITY. The HARSH REALITY. SW is GOING TO DIE.

May 16th won't just be another disappointment of TPM proportions, my friends. It will be, quite frankly, the END. Of it all. The end will start slowly. First, a few fans will come out of the theater and spit on the ground in disgust. They will wave their fists at the sky and damn the day Lucas was born. Other groups will get more defiant, and start looting Wal-Marts, gathering SW toys by the truckloads. It will be taken to a huge dump, set on fire, and angry fans will rip their clothes off and dance around it like wild savages, occasionally making strange, primal sounds.

This is only the start. Soon, mass communication will break down. Planes will start falling out of the sky. Cars will be left in ditches. Social order will be replaced by armed mobs of disgruntled fans. There will be earthquakes, fire, famine, and floods. Brimstone will eventually ran down from the sky. The night will be pitch black because the moon will have turned to blood and melted. Dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria.

I don't know about you, but I'm heading for the bomb shelter.

5. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Are you suggesting AOTC is a sign of the Apocalapse?

6. Darth_Core_Dump

Darth_Core_Dump Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    I don't think that post would be nearly as funny if your icon wasn't George Lucas banging his head on a whiteboard.

7. Ded-Man

Ded-Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2002
    Incidentally, I LOVE my icon. It is, without a doubt, the best icon JCF has come out with.

8. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    Look, I am as big of a Star Wars fan as everyone else, but people already claiming " THIS IS THE END!!!" or people worried need to realize that, it is just a movie!! Sit back, relax and enjoy the given opportunity to experience a new Star Wars film, it is something special that will soon be impossible to do.

Just a movie...........

9. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    Just a movie...........

What?!You cant be serious!Just a movie!Just a movie!Its life i tell u!Its llllllllliiiiiiiiifffffffffeeeeeeeee!(head explodes).

10. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    "Star Wars cannot - let me repeat - Star Wars CANNOT take another TPM"

Yeah, you're right. I would be horrible for AOTC to make over $400 million. [face_plain]

11. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    You know what I miss more that Grifz ?[face_plain]

His barn [face_plain]

Do you know how useful that would be right now

12. Andy_Wan_Kenobi

Andy_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I'll be honest with you guys!

A couple of weeks back I was sitting in my backyard and thinking about AOTC and was worried that infact it could be awful!

However, it won't be! There are too many cool things going to happen in it! The movie will be absolutely superb and will easily turn out as the best of the saga so far!

13. QuiGonJinn84

QuiGonJinn84 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 1999
    All my worries can be summarized here:

A fire blazes in the open hearth. Padme and Anakin are sitting in front of it, gazing into the flames. She looks up as Anakin leans in to kiss her.

Padme: Anakin, no.

Anakin: From the moment I met you, all those years ago, a day hasn?t gone by when I haven?t thought of you. And now that I?m with you again, I?m in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you makes my stomach turn over- my mouth go dry. I feel dizzy. I can?t breathe. I?m haunted by the kiss you should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me. What can I do? I will do anything you ask?

How about a simple - 'Padme, I don't know what I would do without you. . . '

I really have no problem with a romance subplot in Star Wars, in fact I like that Lucas sees the movie as a romance. But the dialogue and things like Anakin riding that creature during the picnic really scares me. I haven't seen much that gives me hope for the love story - hopefully much of the dialogue was changed.

Other than that I worry a bit about Hayden, and a bit about CG Yoda - and yes I fear that if AotC is terribly recieved Star Wars is over. (Well the Prequels are over at least).

14. BYE-BYE_BYE

BYE-BYE_BYE Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2002
    The dialogue is supposed to be florid and cheesy, in a good way.

It adds a lot to the fun.

15. QuiGonJinn84

QuiGonJinn84 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 1999
    I'm sick of the 'it's supposed to be cheesy' excuse. It's supposed to be good.

16. Sel

Sel Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2001
    This is the place where you admit you're worried about something, then others reassure you, right?

Well, I'm worried about the fact that Anakin and Padme aren't shaping up to be sympathetic enough charactors. Well, I'm not sure Anakin is supposed to be sympathetic, but I don't think he's supposed to be annoying, which is how he might shape up to be. Whining about how powerful he is, how much he hates Obi-wan. Being all reckless, and defying orders. Losing it with the tuskins. All decent, story-wise, but not so much fun if I'm sitting there seething during half the movie, grumbling under my breath about how Jedi are NOT supposed to fall in love, and you're DEFYING the COUNCIL Anakin, and shut UP Padme, powerful jedi are not supposed to justify their HOMICIDAL URGES by being told their natural, and don't go running to the reasonable COUNCIL to get help now, they're all just jealous of you anyway. (BTW, I agree with the Padme = Enabler thread)

[shallowness] Maybe it would help if he looked cuter? I mean, Hayden's a good looking guy and everything, but this movie doesn't seem to be doing much to highlight that. Except for the leather outfit. [/shallowness] At least Padme will be wearing lots of pretty dresses, might keep me distracted.

Okay, I might be a little biased, what with my knowledge that he grows up to be Darth Vader and all, but it really clouds your judgment, when you're sitting there looking at those two people, wondering "how could they let that happen?" I'm going to love episode three, when Anakin's all bad and fighting, and you're not supposed to sympathize with him.

In the meantime, I'll always have Obi-wan. [face_love] Look at him, being all responsible and Jedi-like.

17. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    The thing I am worried about most is him chopping the thing to death. Did anyone read that Time article?

It says he cut the scene where Padme tries to discourage the Senate from responding to violence with violence. How can he cut a scene like that? It's her whole take on the issue before the Senate!!! The guy is losing it.

18. JediPraxeum

JediPraxeum Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    no its called irony...and its also called good editing and directing

19. Melancholy

Feb 19, 2002
    Good editing and directing? What are you smoking and where can I get some?

20. ilmthx

ilmthx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2001
    I personally think that all of the Star Wars films have incredible editing. The way Lucas and company have interwoven sequences together and created suspense, tied together themes, and kept the pace deliberate has been extremely influential in the way modern films have been edited.

He may not have the best contunuity (he does end up with many reversed shots and errors), but Lucas pushes the limits of how fast you can throw a story at someone and still allow them to understand and care about it. I think that is a good thing. Challenge the audience. Errors in contunuity and the like are meaningless to me if the story draws me in. All of the Star Wars films have acheived that in my eyes.

I can say one thing, editing is not something that I am worried about in regards to AOTC.

21. Melancholy

Feb 19, 2002
    I think if he edited better, we would care more. I think he has a tendency to cut the interpersonal scenes between characters, thus decreasing our interest in the characters and what they are going through.

Our connection becomes limited. Unlike you, it (the editing), is the thing I am most concerned about. I wish I had your optimism.

22. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    "Attack of the Clones" is gonna be a better film to experience than "TPM". But, like its flawed prequel, it won't ignite the hearts of the dedicated OT fanboys/bashers like me, because it by necessity has too many similarities with "TPM".

23. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    The editing in TPM was... problematic. It felt like the film had been cut to ribbons in pre-production so much that some scenes could just never be fully finished by the time they made it onto the screen.

There are lots of shots with Nute and Rune that feel like the camera can't be switched off quickly enough. The establishing plot stuff on Tatooine is too laboured and pointless. The final TPM battle is too busy and confusing.

But I don't think that this is a problem that will hinder AOTC. TPM had severe faults that simply couldn't be rectified: most of the action scenes were handles well and the pod race was exceptional.

My only fear is that the characters will lack that 'well-rounded' feel that made them so likeable in the OT. You rooted for Han, you idolised Luke Skywalker and you fancied Leia while also admiring her sassiness. At the moment, I don't feel that relationship with the characters - particularly as this is the second of three films. In the OT, by the time of Empire we were well and truly involved with all the characters.

Apart from that - I've never seen the point of great acting and all that stuff in schlock sci-fi. I'm strapping in for the ride and I reckon it will be cool!

24. Darthfinley

Darthfinley Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2001
    I was quietly worried, but I read the Yoda-Qui-gon dialogue during the Tusken slaughter. Now I am relieved. That scene just gives me the feeling that this will be a fitting dark epic story.

25. VintageCollector

VintageCollector Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2001
    I think the editing in TPM is in fact bad. I have made several films myself, taking many filmmaking classes, so I know somewhat of what I speak.

AOTC seems to be shaping up better, because there is so much to tell. Let me explain.

It sounds like, from the editing reports, that Lucas is doing what he should have done in TPM; cut scenes that just use dialogue to tell the story which was being presented visually. There was WAY TOO much exposition. For example, all of Ric Olie's lines. He also needs to cut scenes not related to the story. Many scenes with Jar Jar should have been cut for that reason. Not because I hate Jar Jar, but because it was a lot of wasted screen time that took me away from the actual story.

With more action and a more somber mood, there is no need to say "war is bad!". You can guess that from the visuals. And if you can't, it is a failure on the part of the filmmaker and the audience.

I HATE dialogue that is repetitive and just says what the images are saying. That is the most annoying and patronizing thing to experience as a film viewer.

So, it sounds like some of these AOTC cuts are along those lines; getting rid of unecessary dialogue in favor of mood-setting visuals and other sequences that say the same thing in a less direct manner.

We don't need someone to tell us "war is bad!" in the film. What we need is a film that sets up the war, and shows negative consequences. That is a film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.