main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* "I'm worried..." Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by GriffZ, Oct 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knightstalker-

Knightstalker- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    Yeah, thanks a lot DarthSapient..with mods like you, who needs enemies? :p ;)

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's hard to overestimate the credit John Williams deserves for helping to make the Star Wars movies some of the most successful films ever. After ANH, with its unforgettable title theme, none of the subsequent scores could ever be as original or memorable, so I think it would be unfair to expect more from Williams' AOTC compositions.

It's good to know there's one area of the PT trilogy that is almost beyond reproach.

3. DarthScottyus

DarthScottyus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    Man, I was worried there for a minute. For a sec, I actually thought GriffZ was back.

I wonder, if we added up all the posts that GriffZ made, did they equal 15 minutes? And if so does that mean when our 15 minutes is up so are we?

?[face_plain] :_|

:D :cool:

4. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    Did you buy the original ROTJ OST? The duel theme featuring the gothic choir wasn't on it at all.

On the original ESB OST, Boba Fett's theme was omitted...

Having listenened through to the album all day, I kinda feel that some of the tracks have been cued together - sometimes a little hurriedly. The version of DOTF seems to enter and exit a little too quickly. And, like Anakin's Theme on the TPM OST, I'd imagine that Across The Stars is a symphonic rendition of a whole number of cues...

the SCORE :D

5. darthmaul2002

darthmaul2002 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2002
    Your all being little babies! AOTC is gonna be the best movie ever! YOUR STAR WARS FANS.....JUST LIKE ME! YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO BE WORRIED! Be happy, just wait till May 16th....i am 100% sure AOTC is gonna kick butt. So please, people of this thread, don't be worried, I'm not. :)

6. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    I'm not "worried" about the score. From what I've heard, I think it'll be great. And the parts that I'm talking about aren't bad. They're good. They're just not as good as I think they have been in the past, but they're still good.

I'll get a better picture of how good the score is when we see the movie. Hopefully it won't be hacked up like TPM.

7. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    DARK_SCORE: I completely understand that many scores, including SW scores have tracks that are compiled from many different cues in the film itself.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that a lot (not all) of the tracks on the AOTC OS are the way they are heard in the film. My reasons for feeling this way are: the track titles are in chronological order, the music does not seem slapped together like the TPM OS, and many of the tracks are quite long and conitinuous. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. We'll find out for sure once the movie comes out. :)

8. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    "the track titles are in chronological order, the music does not seem slapped together like the TPM OS,

Yeah, I believe that to be true too, this time around. But there's definately some good music missing, I'm sure. We probably don't have a majority of the arena battle (like the attack of the clones or the duel with Dooku).

9. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    darthmaul2002 - I'm not worried - just making an observation after a single day of listening to the new Star Wars soundtrack.

I could moan on about the relative merits of all the tracks I've heard, but as I keep coming back to Across The Stars, I know that I need not be worried. It's one of the best Star Wars themes out there. It's gonna give me on massive lump in my throat on May 16th...

:D

10. Basil_Hennington

Basil_Hennington Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2002

I hope there is no Pod Race announcer type of things.

11. Gillian Keady

Gillian Keady Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 1999
    Time for Captain Redundant to list off his fears:

1) Dooku as a combatant
    2) Mace powered up as a 'play to the fans' character
    3) Continued devaluing of Kenobi
    4) The contradiction of Light Saber prowess and techniques
    5) Grade school humor
    6) Overusage of unrealistic CGI
    7) Yoda as a combatant
    8) Failure to 'jive' with precendents set in OT
    9) Crammed character development

There's more, but that's the bulk of it.

12. Basil_Hennington

Mar 8, 2002
    Gillian, your 2) is very, very right on!

13. RecklessBoy

RecklessBoy Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2000
    One cool thing about if Yoda fights using a lightsaber will be that when he's rumaging through Luke's gear in ESB and finds the flashlight, goes Hmm and then fights R2 for it it will be a cute Lucas moment of hinting at the past. Yoda vs. droids an all.

Another cool thing about the droid armies is that it nicely fleshes out the Tattooine bar tender's hostility to droids coming into his bar, a common sentiment to most by humans by then no doubt.

14. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Gillian Keady, what do you mean by "The contradiction of Light Saber prowess and techniques"?

15. Gillian Keady

May 23, 1999
    Binary: I had a really good explaination of this once, but lost it. Doh! Let me try to sum up.

In TPM, the precedent was set that - as a purely theatrical device - the style of the Jedi and Sith in prime was very visual, very energetic. And, thus we were given Duel of the Fates. It wasn't a realistc style, obviously - however it was supposed to be captivating and thrilling and, in a fantastic sort of way, show us how these guys were 'damn good,' in the words of Nick Gillard.

Now that we have Mace and Dooku, one a septuagenarian and the other a bit older himself, the TPM style is being overpowered by the direct, efficient style of these two less spry combatants. Supposedly, now we are supposed to adopt the philosphy that the direct approach beats the energetic approach - which is true in reality, but contradicts what we were to have learned in TPM.

The primary problem, then, with suddenly claiming the efficient technique is superior in the Star Wars universe is that it means the majority of these Jedi haven't been able to properly learn sword play in countless years of training.

All of this was caused, quite simply, because they needed to find a way to make the villain more imposing than the deadly Darth Maul, a way power up Mace Windu for a mind-boggling large and zealous fan base and, finally, a way to keep the physical limitations of Misters Lee and Jackson from portraying inferiority amongst younger, faster characters.

Is there a soap box icon I can use? ;)

16. SamuraiYoda

SamuraiYoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    Worried about a movie by George Lucas with ILM effects, a John Williams score, starring Ewan McGregor, Hayden, Natalie, everyone else, with lightsaber fights, a war sequence, Yoda with a friggin' lightsaber, Christopher Lee with a friggin' lightsaber, Anakin with two friggin' lightsabers, a romance, a Tusken Raider massacre, beheading, death, depression, Across the Stars, Love Pledge and the Freakin' Arena, a bounty hunter chase x2, freaking Jango and Boba Fett, a planet covered in water with cities rising out of the ferocious seas on stilts...

Oh, yes, I'm TERRIBLY worried about THAT.
    ;)

Oh yeah, its called Attack of the Clones. That means all the above don't matter.

Time for Captain Redundant to list off his fears:

1) Dooku as a combatant

Tell me you are not worried about that...

*sigh*

MUST I start a thread on how good Chris Lee is with a sword? He will knock your socks off. He is like one of the best swordsmen in the world. Thank GOD Robin Gurland cast him. That is the best casting decision in decades. Thank God Chris Lee is our new baddie.

17. Gillian Keady

May 23, 1999
    Yes, I am worried about that. Please see my previous post if you have any questions.

18. Basil_Hennington

Mar 8, 2002

lee is a master!

19. kornknealious

kornknealious Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2001
    After listening to the score, specificly, track 3; Zam the Assasin and the chase through courusant. The electric guitar rift thrown in there has me truely frightend for the film.

It doesnt help that Ep II is right next to a stinky pile of poo...(Ep I) No matter how good Clones might be, it has to stand next to Ep I (one of the worst movies ever made)

20. DINVADER

DINVADER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2000
    "It doesnt help that Ep II is right next to a stinky pile of poo...(Ep I) No matter how good Clones might be, it has to stand next to Ep I (one of the worst movies ever made)"

Apparently you haven't seen very many movies.

21. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I am very worried, it will rush, at 132 minutes, that's TOO SHORT!!!

22. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Revolver-Ocelot, I like your comic style :) .

23. admiral jimmy

admiral jimmy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 1999
  24. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    What if Lucas puts out another poor Star Wars movie? Can Star Wars survive another Phantom Menace? Will the general public even care about Episode 3?

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    AOTC Positives

1) Political intrigue - Palpatine/Sidious/Dooku

From what I've read, assuming spoilers are true, GL did a much better job of making sense out of the politics of the republic, and making sense out of Palpatine's scheme, than he did in TPM. TPM was a disjointed, contradictory mess. AOTC seems to be a huge improvement.

2) Special effects. I've never been disappointed by the effects in a Star Wars movie. I expect AOTC to have the best effects of any movie I've ever seen. I respectfully disagree with the CG critics.

3) Plot. Just like 1) only bigger. I like it. I think it works. I like the element of unfolding mystery, of an intergalactic plot in which all participants are equally manipulated by the same perpetrators. Everyone is a victim except our villain.

4) Obi-wan's role. Finally, a Star Wars movie that is "about" Obi-wan. He, as much as Anakin, is the central figure of this film. He is the sleuth, the indefatigable warrior, and ultimately just as much a pawn of Sidious as anyone. Episode 2 is going to lay the groundwork for why Obi-wan fights to survive the purge and fights to live long enough to launch his (and Yoda's) plan to bring down the emperor.

5) The score. Solid work from Williams. I think it will resonate more with viewers than the TPM score, particularly if the movie as a whole is better.

6) Acting. Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid will be excellent. Christopher Lee will be excellent. Hayden looks like he will own his action scenes just as much as Ewan owned his in TPM.

7) More dynamic cinematography. The camera I believe has become a much more dynamic partner in the film-making process in AOTC than it was in TPM. GL has gone the extra mile to make the cinematography something special.

AOTC Negatives

1) Acting. Natalie and Hayden are the weak links of the movie. Neither of them seems entirely at ease in their scenes together. The trailer gives no evidence of any chemistry between them. I do not think that sparks will fly.

2) Dialogue in romantic scenes. Much of AOTC seems relatively well-written for a Star Wars movie, and certainly more polished than TPM. The one exception is the romantic dialogue. It undermines further what I feel already looks like weak performances from Hayden and Natlie.

3) Overkill. What some people mean by "too much CG" is "too much clutter." I tend to agree with this on a qualified basis. If there is too much going on in any given scene, then the eye is distracted from the central action. I see some of this potential in the Coruscant scenes, and during the final battle. However, I reserve judgement because of scenes like Obi-wan's duel with Jango on Kamino. These shots seem very sparse, darkly lit, with the rain adding immensely to the tone. There is no sign of CG clutter in this scene, only effects that make the sequence better dramatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.