main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Indy 4 Trailer Discussion Thread - Surprise 3rd Trailer Now Online!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by I_Heart_Han_Solo, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    There was a rumor about 'Area 51' being in the movie.
    If this is true, then maybe Indy was trespassing there and those ARE Amercian soldiers guarding the secret base.

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    With nametags like "Washington" and "Jefferson" I doubt they're American; the joke seems to be that they're Soviets in uber-American disguise. But of course I could be wrong.

3. adammcdaniel

adammcdaniel Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2007
    The website www.hollywood-elsewhere.com just posted an article about MAJOR differences in the INDY IV trailer abroad. Take a look at the article here: http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archi...4_pants_gu.php

Below shows the digital tinkering they've been doing from one version to another:

[image=http://www.adammcdaniel.com/IndyTrailerDifferences.jpg]

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I find this theory the most interesting. It would also help explain Spalko's presence there and why she is ordering the troops around.

5. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I think, in the parlance of our times, "it sucks" that we've reached a point where the MPAA is telling filmmakers they can't depict people pointing guns at each other in a trailer for a PG (or even PG-13?)-rated action movie. I. Just. Don't. Get it.

BTW, adammcdaniel, I can't get your link to work.

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    The driver next to "Jefferson" is "Hamilton."

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh it'll definitely be PG-13. And yes, trailers are supposed to be suited for all audiences. They should be. But come on, look at all the raunchy or explosion-filled trailers out there! Sure, this was showing in front of the Spiderwick Chronicles, but a lot of PG-13 trailers show in front of certain PG movies. What I don't get is why if they did this they don't do it for all movies. Come ON, there are guns in TONS of trailers!

I find it ironic that the international trailer is the ones with the guns still in, given that Americans are seen internationally as being the gun crazy ones.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The same thing happened to the final Revenge of the Sith trailer. They had to re-edited a scene where the Clonetroopers pointed thier blasters at Ki-Adi-Mundi. Despite edited that scene they didn't touch the footage of Anakin slashing Nute Gunray and his cronies with his lightsaber. You can even see the wounds in their stomachs yet it get's an OK from the MPAA.

The editing of the Indy trailer is even dumber.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's completely stupid. Ah, well. International trailers are always better somehow :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    As I said, I think it has more to do with people pushing for political correctness. It's ridiculous, but what are you gonna do about it?

A similar situation happened to me last week at a 501st event. I was posing for a picture and I had my blaster pointed in the air. The woman taking the picture insisted I lower the blaster and keep it from view saying, "Please put the gun down. We don't like guns." Of course I complied to refrain from causing a scene, but I just thought it was ridiculous what our world is coming to.

11. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I got a great treat today when I went to see JUMPER, the Indy teaser was shown I almost jump out of my seat when it started I wasn't expecting it, I just love the trailer it?s great on the big screen and I'm in the UK and it was funny seeing the trailer without Ray Winstones moving pants, also what's with the US flag it's in the US version but not the international and when I first saw the trailer I thought it was a strange thing to have in a Indiana Jones movie/trailer but either way I?m happy.

Dam, I thought that was closer.

12. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    Yeah, the American flag thing was so cheesy. I mean, sheesh, Indy's spent more time everywhere but the US...

13. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I thought the trailer was slightly underwhelming. I guess I was expecting the skull itself to show up for a few seconds. It's absence makes me think that there will be another trailer for the film, likely in late March or early April. Also, the volume on these trailers have all been low - I want to blast the Raider's theme!

Still, there's a lot to love in those few minutes - Ford looks believable as Jones - when he's ramming Blanchett's truck its as if he hasn't aged a day.

I read somewhere that the filmmakers felt like they had to keep up with other action movies that have come out since Last Crusade - Spiderman was one of them. Maybe that explains the increased whip usage.

14. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    Keep in mind, this was the TEASER - Teasers are generally about a minute long. I bet they'll have a full 2-3 minute trailer out before May.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Seriously, wth. The first time I saw it, I got a slightly sickly feeling in my stomach from that. I hope that's not a prominent shot like that in the actual film, honestly. Fortunately the trailer got a lot better from there. Because Indy has never, ever been a "zomg, go America!" thing.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I wouldn't worry too much, I just found out that the American flag was also digitally added to the US version of the teaser and isn't in the international version.

Looky: [image=http://www.theraider.net/news/newsimages/indy4_teaser_tweaks01.jpg]

I don't expect them to add it to the final film.

17. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    Members of my family and friends have died for that flag and what it symbolizes, among other things freedom of speech and expression. I love it and I'm always happy to see it, in a movie or elsewhere. I am not ashamed of the American flag. There's nothing cheesy about it, when you consider the amount of blood that has been shed on it's behalf.

This movie takes place at the time of the Cold War, when there could not have been a starker contrast between America and the Soviet Union.

We see Nazi flags in Raiders and Last Crusade, so it should be just fine to see America's flag in Crystal Skull.

Indiana Jones is as American as apple pie. That's why he fights the bad guys.

[face_flag] [face_flag] [face_flag]

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Well said! I couldn't agree more. I actually really liked the addition of the flag. And it appeared right at the climax of the music, so it hit home even more.

19. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I love the flag as well and hope it stays in the final film. First Indy is American. Second a good deal of the film takes place in America. Third the flag is seen in relation to a military base so it's not out of place. Finally it puts the film in a historical context as there are only 48 stars on the flag and it's the height of the cold war. The USA vs. the Soviet Union looks to be a major theme of the film.

I'm disturbed by some of the comments about how it's offensive to show the American flag when Nazi symbols have been displayed prominently throughout the series. It's about setting the proper historical context, not rampant jingoism.

20. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I agree, Gobi, and what's more the flag is simply a visual representation of the setting, the geographic locale. There's nothing inherently pro-USA or "USA #1!" about showing an American flag to establish the picture's setting.

21. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    Usually, a military base set out in the middle of a desert won't have a flag 7 miles away from the base and 50 feet up in the air. I knew the moment I saw the trailer that the flag was added by whoever cut the trailer. Indy is an American by birth, yes, but as the young IJ chronicles remind us (which have been released on DVD to coincide with the film's release) Indy was made who he was through his travels across the globe. He's a man of the world. The flag itself doesn't bug me, just the idea that a single nation should lay claim to what is obviously a universal hero.

22. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I don't see such a big deal about the flag either. It was corny in Spider-man because he landed in front of it and did a cheesy pose before flying off to fight villains. It was way too over the top.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, don't bite my head off. I just don't think it feels right in this particularly context. It's not just there, it's improbably there as Jesse pointed out. I don't have a problem with American flags being in parts of the film that might take place on American bases. But yes, Indy is an international hero, not just an American hero. I'm just saying it felt like it was featured too prominently and it was weird.

Besides which, the "well we've had Nazi flags!" argument really makes absolutely zero sense. Those are clear symbols denoting extremely bad guys. Indy has always been just an international good guy, fighting with whoever is against the bad guys, not just for America. He helps out Indians, Arabs, or the US. But it's not as though he's some kind of military hero in a war movie. It just felt weird is all I'm saying. The Nazi flags were always in appropriate places, i.e. at Nazi rallies. Having a flag in an illogical place in the desert doesn't really make sense.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. flashbang

flashbang Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2008
    Great the Disturbia kid is in it. At least the rest looks good, especially the ending.

Is that butch looking woman only the villain or the love interest as well?

25. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I want a scene with Indy standing between the American flag and the Scottish flag just to make it equal. [face_mischief]:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.