main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN The OFFICIAL Indy Knights AOTC Response Thread!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Qui-John, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SynthLord

SynthLord Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2002
    I was amazed by how much better the CGI was in this movie than Ep1. It still seemed much too cold and sterile to feel like a real Star Wars movie but I had a blast watching it and only 3 or 4 lines of dialogue made me hang my head in shame. Needless to say, the little green dude's finale more than makes up for any minor shortcomings. This was what I wanted to see 3 years ago.... better late than never.

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    People are also saying that "1138" is written in the sand when Padme falls out of the gunship...they say it's hard to see, but it's there. Have no idea if that's true or not. ?[face_plain]

3. NorvelleJedi05

NorvelleJedi05 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2002
    First, don't believe what movie reviewers say about AOTC. I saw it for the first time @
    11 am, Thurs. Anakin and Amidala rocked. The love scenes were good. Obi-Wan was excellent.
    And yes Yoda kicks butt. The new characters, Zam the Assassin and Jango Fett made the story flow. R2-D2 and C-3PO added comic relief to AOTC. In AOTC you begin to see how the SW saga becomes a story (esp. with the introduction of Jango Fett's young son, Boba Fett).

As I'm one of the Indy Knights' Nameclones the new clones were excellent. I'll see AOTC again and again.

4. JediTvGuy

JediTvGuy Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2002
    Shara...
    Re: Qui Gon....read the novel and it goes into it a bit deeper. The novel's definitely worth the quick read due to the extra scenes and explanations that the movie skips over.

5. YodaOnMyLeg

YodaOnMyLeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2001
    I am with JediTvGuy. I think the novel makes the movie even better. You get some great background on Padme and the additional scenes are an added bonus.

6. Jedi_Gepper

Jedi_Gepper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    Well, I have to agree with whoever said the second viewing is always best. I'm quite excited for that one. However, based on one viewing, I'm excitedly reassured that this movie far excels "The Phantom Menace." I wasn't annoyed by anything in it except maybe a couple of CGI moments. Yoda was moving too fast for me to even follow. The whole Anakin and Padme thing I really enjoyed. Also, you just can't beat Angry Anakin for entertainment. Obi Wan was awesome, and Palpatine continues to be the most intriguing character of them all. I get such a kick out of watching him manipulate everyone. Count Dooku is just so cool as well. I could listen to him talk all day. Jango, Boba (he seemed far less friendly than at C2), Mace, Zam...they're all winners. Oh, how I must see this movie again soon!
    But I ramble. To summarize: Awesome film. I see myself investing a great deal of time and money in it. :)

7. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    Saw it again today with my Mom who is now my hero because she cried when the music first blasted through the theater.

Speaking of Boba . . . he reminded me a little of Damien from the Omen with that scary cackle he did now and then.

8. SkylaFett

SkylaFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2001
    I think it was your boy Obi. I was a vision of the fight at the end. At least that was the way I took it.

9. OriginalBryGuy

OriginalBryGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    Just came back from my 3rd viewing of the film. 2nd one today (Thursday) and boy are my eyes tired.

I was able to concentrate on different things. Again, many little bits and crannies will have to wait for someone to freeze frame them. There's so much in the coruscant chase I just want to slow-mo as well as yodas fight.

Yea, AOTC is pretty damn good all around. Did anyone else spot Anthony Daniels...without his C3PO armor in the bar in Coruscant. If not watch for him after Zam gets saberfied by Obi-Wan. He actually faces the camera but it's quick.

Also, just before after Obi-Wan lands and heads to the bar there's a guy who looks alot like Doug Chaing, the artist in charge of the 'look' of anything new star wars. Not sure if it was, but let me know if you spot him.

10. Jedimama

Jedimama Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 1999
    Just got back from the 2d viewing. I looked for all the 'easter eggs', and managed to find a few. I really tried to turn the sand patterns into 1138, but I think somebody must have made that one up. :)
    I definately heard some sort of breathing sound during the Qui-Gon voice part, but to me it did not sound vader-esque at all. I thought it was just part of the overall intensity of the moment and the music.
    I think I saw Lucas in the senate, efinately saw A Daniels in the bar. Lots of little things I didn;t see the first time. Jango bashing his head on his own ship was hysterical!!! :D
    I had a great time again and can't wait to see it again!!!!`:D

11. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Ahmed Best as a pilot is also in the nightclub...shown a couple times if I remember correctly.

12. DarthAcroyear

DarthAcroyear Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    Well, this was the movie that I had hoped Eps. 1 would be. When I left the theater after the 12:01 showing of "The Plotless Menace" I met a friend of mine in the lobby of Kerasotes and he ask me what I thought and to be honest, the first thing I thought of after the movie finished it what I told him. "I waited 15 years for that?" This morning however, all I could say was "Wow, can I watch that again?" I really,really enjoyed this movie.

This is not to say the movie did not have it's flaws, at least to my admittedly tired eyes. First off I did not care for the all CGI Yoda. To me at least he did look fake. I really think that the "Muppet" version looked more life like. But I will excuse this flaw for one reason, and one reason alone, and that is the "Crouching Yoda/Hidded Dooku" fight scene. Wow!

My only other quibble is that some of the dialog, especially between Anakin and Padme, was a little, I dont know,awkward,off, odd maybe? I am really not sure how best to discribe it. I know that a couple of times I felt like yelling to Anakin to ask Padme to look at his podracer. I mean it worked for him in the first movie. Maybe this was the reaction George was wanting in order to help convey the turmoil and confusion between the two young lovers. Well, we all know, except, and in some cases love, the fact the George is no William Shakespeare but, then again, I know a few people who claim the William Shakespeare was not William Shakespeare.

Bottom line, I really liked this movie a great deal. I cannot wait to see it several times again and I want it on DVD like years ago. I am very happy that I got to see it and even more pleased that I got to see it with some of you. My wife and I look forward to doing both of these things again very soon.

Pax,
    Spencer

13. GottaPookuBad

GottaPookuBad Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    Well what about "Qui-Gon's voice" yelling Anakin's name? I remember hearing the voice, just it never registered who it came from>>

Sure had to be, so the force from the 'grave' is now talking to Ani!
    But I know that was at least supposed to be him based on looking for it when I watched it today.
    If it was not then who was it and why did it sound identical ?

Then again , not many dead masters that would contact ani huh...
    I say, yes

14. Aderagon

Aderagon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2001
    *SPOLIERS AHOY!*

Well, here be my thoughts on AOTC after two viewings.

First of all, better than Phantom Menace. Easily. I didn't think TPM was that bad, but AOTC was an improvement. Anyway, on to the movie...

Always good to see the opening crawl on the big screen. I'm not a big fan on the "pan up", and the scene of Amidala arriving in Coruscant wasn't as good to me as was hyped. Afterwards, when the Loyalists are talking with Palpatine, I think that they needed to really lay out everything that was going on with the Separtists. I don't believe a casual fan would fully understand everything after the crawl and the meeting.

Anakin and Obi-Wan's introduction is handled very well, with both of their distinct personalities coming through. Anakin's initial meeting with Padme goes well, and the "grown more beautiful" line seems OK by me. The chase through Coruscant is very nice and the events following up to Obi-Wan and Anakin going to Kamino and Naboo are solid.

Obi-Wan's scenes in Kamino are done very well. Ewan McGregor has a solid character for Obi-Wan, and he playes it nicely. The Kaminoans are done very well, as is Kamino itself. Jango and Boba Fett are surprisingly good. Obi-Wan and Jango's fight is pretty cool, and a nice refresher after all the politics (Which I don't mind). The battle in the Geonisis ring is pretty cool, and there's some awesome sound work with the Slave I's seismic charges. Good stuff.

Anakin and Padme's scenes on Naboo aren't too bad, but the visit to Padme's family should have been left in. There was a definite need for it, and it would've allowed Anakin and Padme to slowly become closer. The love story seems rushed, but it's still pretty cute, and I (a sucker for love stories) liked it. Just a few complaints - when Anakin and Padme first kiss and it ends, the music stops in kind of a playful way. That totally ruined the scene for me, it made it seem like a joke. I also believe the Meadow Picnic should have been extended, it had potential to be even sweeter then it already is. Anakin's dialogue in the Fireplace scene seems somewhat forced. Otherwise, good work on the love scenes.

Tatooine was nice. Good to see Watto again, albeit more out of shape. He had some great dialogue with Anakin, and showed a more serious side of himself. The Lars' were great, and I thought Owen and Beru (especially Beru) should have played a bigger part. Shmi's death and the scenes afterwards are nice and dark. The scene with Anakin describing his attack on the Tusken Raiders is simply stunning...Wow. Best scene of the movie, in my opinion.

Geonosis and the scenes with Dooku are pretty good. Anakin and Padme on the conveyor belt is not as long as I thought it would be, which is good. The "Love Pledge" is another great scene - Natalie really nails it, and it's a nice prelude to the...

ARENA BATTLE! Wow. All I can really say. Jedi en masse, combat, action - wonderful. Padme's quick kiss to Anakin is very cute and appropriate. Mace Windu is awesome. However, I think Jango's death came too quickly. I would have liked to see him fight a little more. Otherwise, awesome scene.

The interlude with Dooku is interesting, and Yoda saving the day with the clones is a nice touch. More action follows, all very good.

The Battle of Geonosis was nice, but at times it was difficult to tell what side certain vehicles were allied with, but it was an all-around awesome scene. The cut to Dooku talking with the Geonosians was good, though it seems Dooku is somewhat surprised that Sidious allowed the Republic to come into play so soon. Seeing the Death Star plans adds a nice quality to it.

More fighting ensues. When Padme falls out of the ship, the dialogue between Anakin and Obi-Wan is very good. Full of passion, anger...good stuff. The eventual encounter with Dooku is decent until Yoda's arrival. After that - simply amazing.

The ending needed a little work, I think. More was needed between Tyranus (coolest "Darth" name ever) and Sidious. Not enough sense of evil between them, but the following scenes with

15. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Well I've seen the movie twice now, read almost all of the 4 comics, and I'm probably going to have to read the book. For me, I'm a person who likes a lot of story and explanation without it being forced. After seeing the movie and reading the comics (which I know at least Jan hasn't seen yet so how she got the drawings so dead on, I haven't a clue) There were many places in the comic that I wish were in the movie, like Palpatine using Padme's "death" as a tool. It would have shown how involved and invested he was in that situation...and then she appears in the Senate to show she is alive. There were some lines that Anakin said that would have made him more convincing...and would have made me like him more. When he is telling Padme he killed the Tusken's, some additional lines made him sound truly sorry for what he had done. But that didn't happen in the movie.

Yeah that was Qui-Gon's voice that says "Anakin Anakin" when we see Yoda after Anakin kills the Tuskens, although the "No" sounds like a different voice, maybe Shmi or the Tuskens. Breathing is heard underneath those words and intermingled with the music, but it didn't sound specifically like Vader breathing, just breathing, but it would be appropriate. Dawn and I picked out "George" in the Senate, found the Millenium Falcon looking ships (I swear there were two there). But I agree, I think someone is just making up that 1138 thing. It looks like a "11" and then what is next to them is indecipherable.

Anyways, I still think it's a great movie for what it is. :D

16. Croda

Croda Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    It's definitely Qui Gon's voice. I think it's even a sample from Episode I. Maybe when he says "Anakin! Drop!" and the play it twice. I'll be watching Ep. 1 this weekend before going to to see II again and will pay attention to that.

17. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Liam was reported on several ocasions near the England studios when LFL was filming AOTC...I'm sure that's when they recorded his dialogue when he was "visiting" the set.

18. R2-B9

R2-B9 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2001
    um, it was good, wasn't it?

Spencerian and I went to the noon showing Thursday, and I want to see it again. And again..

SPOILER ALERT!

ok, now having said that, I can go to town. Read the book regarding the Anakin killing sandpeople scene. Even Yoda is surprised by hearing Qui-Gon's voice.

1138s? I've been looking. I've heard that the back of Jango's seat in Slave I has it. There is something in the name of the nightclub, too, but I don't think 1138 is there. I think I saw Han and Leia in the name.. I must look again..

About Jar Jar.. poor innocent Jar Jar has been used as the ultimate pawn by Palpatine...

And YODA pops open the big 55 gallon can o' whoopass! YEEEHAAAAAA!!

R2-B9

19. SpaceyJay

SpaceyJay Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    I'm new to you, this board, and to Indy Knights, so just let me say "Hello!," and congrats on running such a great club and for the impressive work you folks did on Celebration II.

On to my AOTC thoughts: I LOVED it, hands down. I took my partner last night who is not a sci-fi fan, and he loved it, as well.
    But we both came away with two reservations on our praise. 1) The C3P0 chatter during the arena battle felt out of place, and wasn't funny at all. In fact, I thought it seriously detracted from so many Jedi being wounded and killed. 2) I would really like it if Lucas could write some more memorable lines. I can recall many lines from Episodes 4-6, but none from AOTC except for Yoda's final line in the film.
    Other than that, four thumbs up from us.

Also, did anyone think the adult clones in the mess hall looked more like Capt. Typho than Jango Fett? We both thought they looked "wrong." What did you think?

We're going again tonight!
    Jay

20. PaulBannister

PaulBannister Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2001
    I am sure I will get flamed to a crisp for this, but I am and was pretty dissapointed with AOTC overall. I really liked it, in terms of the grand scale of films coming out. In terms of Star Wars movies, I am dissapointed. I think this particular section of the whole saga had the most potential for heart wrenching and dramatic storytelling. I feel like the script was written in a way that provided as many opportunites as possible to show off what George can do with the FX. The acting was bad in ep1, the acting was good in ep2, the dialouge in ep1 was better than clones, and the dialouge in ep2 was just horrible. "We will have to settle this with our skills with a Lightsaber" Would it not have been significantly more dramatic if Dooku just looks at him and opens his saber? Saying everything without uttering a word. Yoda CG bothered me the first time I saw it, like it much more the second time though. Best scene was Anakin speaking to Padme about how he killed the tusken folk. Got goosebumps for that one. Overall, I liked it more than TPM, just barely though. The good parts in this one are absolutely fantastic. But the lows are pretty low IMHO. I suppose I just hyped it too much in my mind, but all I ever wanted is a SW film as good as the originals, considering they are made by the same guy, I don't really think that is too much to ask. I sound like such a bastard, sorry. At the end of the day, in my mind, the dialouge in AOTC is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth. For me thats what killed it. I think the acting was absolutely fantastic considering what they had to work with. I have seen it twice, and will see it many many times, because the good parts are so good, I want to see them over and over again. Sorry to be a downer, but I guess I just wanted to vent a bit.

21. GregTheGotal

GregTheGotal Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    I think the movie is amazing. The way the whole series is coming together is perfect, it was cool to see the "secret plans" that Dooku was giving to Sidious. Wow, I can't wait to see it again and again. I'll discuss spoiler info after Monday when it is legal.

22. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    I think everyone who posts here has seen it...and if they've made it this far down the thread, then they're probably spoiled beyond belief, so discuss away.

23. alivings

alivings Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2002
    As a fairly new member, I would like to say thanks to the Indy Knights, especially the officers, for standing in line for tickets and getting a theater. Seeing the movie with fellow fans just as enthused was definetly the highlight, next to the movie and YODA of course. Too bad I had to work all the time and couldn't come to the line.

When I saw the rerelease of the trilogy and Episode 1, I went with my girlfriend of the time who hated Star Wars and said the money I spent on collecting should be spent on her. Needless to say, that didn't happen. Seeing the movie with people who understand is definetly better!!
    Lots of cool stuff officially revealed in the movie. Can't wait till E3 to see Anakin totally give in to the Dark Side, as Vader is the best character in the movies (my opinion of course).

24. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    wow. that was the coolest thing ive ever seen. padme:ai carumba! yoda rocked the house down padme was super hot beru was awsome did i mention how totaly wicked padme was?

25. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Heh, well, I don't normally do this but since I still don't have my voice back yet :( I decided to write a review of Attack of the Clones. Normally Star Wars films are too close to my heart to really get into in a critique but I put that aside for now and tried to give as objective a review as I could. It's a mini-review, by the way. I don't think I can write a full review. These boards don't have enough space for it.

Story: More densely layered than any other film in the saga and yet simplistic enough that I don't understand how these critics aren't able to understand it. Knowing the full story as I do I can appreciate it on a few different levels but the story on the surface is just so easy to follow that it boggles my mind even now. The only complaints I have in this area have to do with the cut scenes that will no doubt appear on the DVD later this year. They added more dimension to Dooku's separatist position and the actual conflict inherent in it and they added some much needed depth to the love story between Anakin and Padme. I think, had they included some of these sequences, that the common complaint of an underplayed and often times rushed love story would have been quite less prevelant than they are.

Love Story: This worked for me. Teenage love is an awkward thing, especially when it's their first love, and I think George got it right for the most part. Anakin tries to be smooth, he tries to have all the answers even when he really has none, and above all else he tries to rationalize this love to himself and to Padme in order to keep it alive. As he says in the film, "Attachment is forbidden. Possessions are forbidden. Compassion, which I see as essential for love, is encouraged as a Jedi. So you could say that I am encouraged to love." That, my friends, is a rationalization and it will turn out to be a terrible one. As Stephen King said in his closing of "Wizard and Glass", "Forty-eight has a way of forgetting the heat and passion of seventeen." George remembers it but I think it was still a little hazy for him. Overall it worked but, had they added the scenes with Padme's family that were shot, it would have worked much better and not seemed as rushed on Padme's part. Anakin's part is the easy one to see. He's obsessed with her, has been ever since they met (as evidenced by his line of thinking about her every day for 10 years and as evidenced by his mention of dreaming about her), and it only gets worse as the movie goes along. When he loses his mother then Padme remains the only constant female figure in his life and the one to whom he is meaning to never let go.

Dialogue: Never a strong suit of the Star Wars films, lately it has taken on a new dimension in criticism and has become a cornerstone of the "basher" mentality. Is it without merit? Yes and no. No one walks into Star Wars and expects Shakespeare, we can all agree on that I'm sure. However, many fans feel that the charm and delivery of the lines from the original trilogy has thus far not been matched in the prequels. To that I'd have to agree. Though I don't think it has much to do with the actors or actresses themselves. It has more to do with the fact that, with the exception of the first film, the three main characters had spent many years together. Han, Leia, and Luke had been fighting the Empire together for several years before Luke left to find Yoda in "Empire". So they had a history to work with there. What do we have in the prequels? Everyone meets and travels together for several days in "Menace" but never really spends a significant amount of time together. Then Qui-Gon dies and thus effectively ends the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon history dynamic. Anakin is taken in by a person who had feelings of jealousy and betrayal towards him not days before (Qui-Gon was planning on ditching Obi-Wan as his padawan if possible and I'm sure Obi-Wan was hurt by that) and Padme is separated from them by her duties as the Queen of Naboo. In the interim the only people who have any contact between them are Anakin and Obi-Wan (whi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.