main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***The Official "Is Palpatine Sidious?" Debate Thread***

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_Odious, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    The only times that a force user senses another force user in the movies involve deep feelings between the two

Doesn't that strike down your argument that Palpatine can't be a dark lord of the Sith since the Jedi can't even sense him in the same room with them?

2. tnt

tnt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    "The only times that a force user senses another force user in the movies involve deep feelings between the two."

That's true Odious but force users can also detect when the force is being used.

"There is a great disturbance in the force. We have a new enemy...blah blah blah". And that's Palpatine telling Vader.

But they can't detect when it's not being used. And so far Palpatine/Sidious hasn't displayed anything of significance.

3. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    [face_laugh]

That's just it.

It's the same crap every time.

:)

4. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    The only times that a force user senses another force user in the movies involve deep feelings between the two

That's not totally true. Qui-Jon obviously senses that Anakin has the Force before he tests him. And Vader senses that "the Force is strong" with a certain X-wing pilot before he knows who he is. Don't try and say that Vader knew either, because he was trying to shoot him down.

5. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    DM,

You missed something! :D

Explain this. Do so without repeating anything that has already been covered in Posts 1 and 2 of page 1.

6. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    Well, maybe whenever the Dark Side is sensed, it's because it wasn't ment to be hidden. And it's Vader who was being sensed. I didn't seem like Obi-Won and Qui-Gon knew what it was. IT's not like the Jedi have ever even sensed the Dark Side. They dont know the feeling. Although the Jedi are quite obsessed with it.

PLus, maybe Anakin cannot hide the darkside like his Master can.

Luke senses him, but like i said, maybe it was ment to be sensed.

7. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    OH BEHAVE,

We've already covered that aspect of it. It's already established that they can sense each other through the force on some occassions and not sense each other, on other occassions. Prior to this time, the common denominator was if the characters in question had a special bond with each other -- father and son, sister and brother, etc. What is your argument now? Don't make me go redundant on you!! It's so boring. :D

8. tnt

tnt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    >>We've already covered that aspect of it. It's already established that they can sense each other through the force on some occassions and not sense each other, on other occassions. Prior to this time, the common denominator was if the characters in question had a special bond with each other -- father and son, sister and brother, etc. What is your argument now? Don't make me go redundant<<

Well the argument is that Palpatine/Sidious does'nt need a powerless clone to do his work.

Bwahahahaha!!!

9. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    tnt,

Palpatine sensed the disturbance in the force because Vader was having a family moment at that point. HE (palpy) has a bond with Vader -- master and apprentice.

10. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Undomiel,

"OH BEHAVE,

We've already covered that aspect of it. It's already established that they can sense each other through the force on some occassions and not sense each other, on other occassions. Prior to this time, the common denominator was if the characters in question had a special bond with each other -- father and son, sister and brother, etc. What is your argument now?"

That doesn't explain how Yoda senses Palpatine when he finishes Padme's sentence does it?

11. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    "Deck Officer, Deck Officer! Has Palpy not needing a clone been covered in posts 1 and 2 on page 1? :D

12. tnt

tnt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    >>Palpatine sensed the disturbance in the force because Vader was having a family moment at that point. HE (palpy) has a bond with Vader -- master and apprentice.<<

He senses everything Vader does? In ROTJ somethings slipped right under his nose.

Bwahahahaha!!

13. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    OH BEHAVE,

Sherlock Holmes coulda figured out something was wrong as well. Does it say, "And I Yoda, suddenly sensed the dark side in Palpatine and proceeded to raise a grisly green eyebrow at him?" Believe me, I was a cloner for many pages in that thread but eventually the identical balconies thing got me.

14. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    OK, let me clarify:

Yoda DOES sense something from Palpatine. I don't think anyone here will argue that. We all saw the look he shot him. There is NO emotional bond there.

So....If Palpatine is Sidious, would he be daft/bold enough to use his power right in front of Yoda. Hard to see the dark side is, but I wouldn't take such a risk. Do you think he would?

15. Verry

Feb 27, 2002
    Yes, the whole "my sun is there"

and palps replies" i didn't sense him, are you sure, funny that i have not"

It's like that, not exactly, Vader senses him, and Palpatine doesn't really even believe him.

16. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Point to TNT! Some non-cloner, please address TNT's question. :D

17. Darth_Odious

Darth_Odious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    Und is my heroine(except for that edit she did while I wasn't looking. Now I look crazy).

Very,
    I can't believe that I didn't put this on post 2. OK, get very close to your screen. If Sidious has a clone named palpy, and he has that clone gain all the political power there is, it would be for the following reason:

TO TAKE HIS NAME!

HE'D TAKE HIS NAME!

THEN HIS NAME WOULD BE PALPATINE.

EMPORER PALPATINE.

JUST LIKE IN ROTJ.

HIS NAME WOULD BE PALPATINE.

SIDIOUS

WOULD

TAKE

THE

NAME

PALPATINE.

Also, you misheard Dooku's statement. He didn't say that a sith was in the senate, he said a sith was running the senate. Which Sidious would be doing, through his clone Palpy.
    Also, how is it like a mystery without all of the clues? Its only two thirds done, and we've all seen the possibility.

Darth Mischevious,
    thanksforpostinghaveaniceday :p

foxbat,
    I didn't say palpy couldn't be a sith, i just said that he wasn't. Too risky.

18. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Darth_Odious is right.

Palpatine being a Sith would be very risky, the point I was making above. It would almost be daft. Hanging out with Yoda, Mace, and the rest of the Council would take some serious clouding. But then again (here it comes):

"The Dark Side clouds everything"!!

Don't hit me <----ducking and cringing

19. Verry

Feb 27, 2002
    I know, it's perfectly possible, but the Audience would be cheated. IT's not a fair answere. It's kinda like pulling something out of your ass. It could be like that, but it's stupid.
    '

and ah, i don't like being made fun of.

20. Darth_Odious

May 30, 2002
    I don't think I addressed the need for the clone in the first two posts.

2 reasons:

1) Time. Political manuevering takes time. Training sith who can kill jedi MASTERS takes time.

2) Risk. Why risk yourself, as opposed to a clone you control?

Now, back to the discussion, regarding the nebulous ability to detect force users, why risk detection by sitting right in front of the jedi when you could have another do that?

Now, anyone who wants to bring up jedi reading the clone's mind, read post 2.

21. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    One more time:

Palpatine is Sidious' and The Monkey Woman's (from ESB) love child. ;)

22. tnt

tnt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    >>I know, it's perfectly possible, but the Audience would be cheated.<<

I think the audience would say "What the hell was that all about?"

23. Darth_Odious

May 30, 2002
    ob,
    (Completely ignoring the monkey woman theory)
    No, Yoda LOOKED SUSPICIOUSLY at palpy in that scene. That is all we know, and, in my mind, it is one of the finest moments of CGI "acting" yet to be achieved. That's all we know.

24. Verry

Feb 27, 2002
    THEY"RE SITH!!!! only sith Know of jedi's weakness. IT's clouded their minds.

Just because your an evil Jedi, doesn't make you a sith. That's what's so special. The sith know they're weakness. Theyve perfected it for 4 thousand years!!!!!

They're not just evil dark Jedi, they're much more than that.

25. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Everyone ignores the Monkey Woman theory! We could proably debate it as heavily as the current subject (ok, maybe not).

Anyway, I would agree with you on all you Yoda point (Acting, suspicious glance). I think the real point to ask about that scene is not if Yoda sensed something or was suspicious, but if Palpatine used the Force to finish the sentence. It was done very pointedly (and thus awkwardly IMO) to show that SOMETHING happened. So, do you think he did use the Force and if so, does he know he is doing it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.