main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official James Luceno Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    James Luceno has written two New Jedi Order paperbacks, the 'Agents of Chaos' duology, the prequel novel 'Cloak of Deception', and the E-Book 'Darth Maul: Saboteur'.

Jedi Council Forums Username:

Discuss James's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, James might drop by from time to time!

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    One of the best recent additions to the fold, sadly I know next to nothing about him or his non-SW books other than that he was close to Brian Daley and they co-authored some books...

3. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Leuceno's Star Wars books are some of my favorites.

4. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    I still consider Hero's Trial my favorite of the NJO. And I'm not even a big Han Solo fan.

Still, I love his attention to detail and the cloak and dagger storyline Hero's Trial gave us.

5. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    The Darth Maul e-book was pretty good

6. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I loved James's depth of knowledge of the Star Wars universe...

7. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Bring him back!~

8. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    James gets my vote for writing the Episode III adaptation when the time comes. So much policial and action and suspense will be there, it would be a perfect fit for him!

9. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I am not a big fan of his. I liked Jedi Eclipse and that was it.

10. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    He wasn't the worst SW author I've seen, but he wasn't bad. The thing I disliked most was that he was constantly bringing in old characters just to bring them in, without any specific objective in mind, like when he mentioned Akanah, Callista and Gariel.

11. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Cloak of Deception was one of the best Star Wars books ever written. I seemed to capture the personalities and characteristics of the movies better than any other Star Wars book.

12. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Exciting news, James Luceno has been announced as the author of NJO finale!

13. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, I have known for a while, and I am VERY happy with the choice!!

14. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Bring him back!~

Your prayers were answered :)

15. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Should be a fun finale.

16. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Agents of Chaos were some of my favorite NJO books--definitely my favorite non-hardcover stories--but I had mixed feelings for Cloak of Deception. I thought the political intrigue/detective mystery aspect of the story was great (everything The Phantom Menace should have been), but the action scenes to me felt kind of weak.
    This makes me a little hesitant about the New Jedi Order hardcover #5, which by nature should be an epic, sweeping battle.
    On the otherhand, I did like his action scenes in Agents of Chaos (particularly the Battle of Ord Mantell), so I suppose it could be good.

Well, I'll be optimistic and hope that it turns out great.

17. Gtra13

Gtra13 Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2001
    I enjoyed reading Cloak of Deception and I unfortunately did not get to enjoy Saboteur, however, Luceno's NJO books are some of the worst Star Wars books that I have ever read(right down in there with Planet Of the Twilight). The truth calls for a more worthy NJO author.

18. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    I have to say that I was very happy with Cloak of Deception. I liked seeing the relationship between palpatine and Valorum. Also, it helped to answer any lingering political questions from TPM. As for his NJO books? I enjoyed them. Not some of the best, but certainly a fun read.

19. caliman

caliman Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2000
    James Luceno will be at Celebration II this week. Any fan of his going besides me?

20. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    The simple fact is, James Luceno is not a very good writer. His Agents of Chaos dulogy was horrible, and I am so dissapointed he's writing the NJO finale it's not funny.

Why couldn't they get one of the good authors like Tim Zahn or Mike Stackpole? They actually have literary talent and experience. Luceno flat out doesn't deserve this honour.

21. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    The simple fact is, James Luceno is not a very good writer. His Agents of Chaos dulogy was horrible, and I am so dissapointed he's writing the NJO finale it's not funny.

Oh, that's a fact, is it? I think his Agents of Chaos duo is one of the best entries in the New Jedi Order, and Cloak of Deception is awesome.

Why couldn't they get one of the good authors like Tim Zahn or Mike Stackpole? They actually have literary talent and experience. Luceno flat out doesn't deserve this honour.

Who are you to say who "deserves this honor"? Anyway, Tim Zahn's already doing a couple more Star Wars novels, and Mike's busy writing his own thing. Just because something is offered to someone doesn't mean they automatically have to accept.

22. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    The only thing I've read by Luceno that I didn't really like was Darh Maul:Saboteur. I have confidence that he'll be able to pull out a good finale.

23. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    So do I...

24. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Hi guys, I'm kinda new to this part of the forum but I'd just like to say that Luceno's writing is quite thrilling. :D

I'm currently reading Jedi Eclipse (cos I started reading NJO quite late) and I've always been tortured to put my book down. So, I have good faith that he'll write a good finale for NJO ;)

25. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Let's see if I can try this . . .

The simple fact is, James Luceno is one of the best things to ever happen to the EU. His writing style, his engaging cloak & dagger plots and his attention to details build a remarkable balance to any Star Wars storyline.

In fact, although I don't read prequel novels, I read CoD simply on the strength of Luceno's reputation.

Can't wait to see what he has in store for us in the NJO's finale.