main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Hi Queengoddess!

Glad you enjoyed the AOTC adaptation and hope you will soon be enjoying Rite of Passage!

Twilight was a thrill and a half to draw. I thought it was a great story too!

I'd like to keep Quin around as long as possible so I haven't given much thought to his demise. (although, like I said to VillieMace, I tried to leave it open if Quin was alive or a 'ghost' in GHOST) (ok, I think he survived...) I've always thought Quin will probably die in battle someday. It would be fitting for his character.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy drawing stories about him and Aayla and the rest! I don't know what I'll be doing yet after Rite of Passage, but I'll let you know as soon as I do. (Hopefully, it will be lots more Star Wars!)

Great to hear from you! --Jan

2. ElegantWeapon

ElegantWeapon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    Jan, I know you've posted in the Secura fan thread. Could you post any of the pictures you got of Amy? We are running seriously low over there.

3. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    >>Jan, I know you've posted in the Secura fan thread. Could you post any of the pictures you got of Amy? We are running seriously low over there.<<

I think you all have more shots of Amy than I do. I'm saving the ones you've put up for my files... Wish I had more! (I am not kidding...)

4. ElegantWeapon

Nov 27, 2001
    I read you practice Aikido? Or is it some other martial art? How long and how did you get involved in that?

5. Guy_DuBlanc

Guy_DuBlanc Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    Jan,

I love your art! It's funny I just found this thread because I just came to the conclusion that you were the best SW artist out there. It was upon seeing the AOTC adaptation. It was miles ahead of the art on the TPM version Dark Horse did last time.

As everyone else said, Maul ruled! I truly hope a sequel to that excellent series sees the light of day.

And hey Jan -- would you be interested in drawing a Jango Fett series? I'd love to see that!

Take care!

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    only problem I had with the AotC comic was the fact there ware so many colorists working on it all over, parts, palettes were inconsistant.

7. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    >>I read you practice Aikido? Or is it some other martial art? How long and how did you get involved in that?>>

Elegant Weapon--The martial art I practice is Iaido--Japanese Sword. I started that about 16 years ago. I was always interested in sword forms and martial arts and the opportunity to study presented itself.

Guy_DuBlanc--Thanks for the kind words about my work. Having the opportunity to draw AOTC was amazing and I tried to do it justice. I enjoy drawing Star Wars more than anything else! I would love to draw a story with Jango Fett! He's one of my favorite characters.

Darth Ludicrous--'the color question'--deadlines :(

Hope you are all enjoying Rite of Passage!

8. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Hey, Jan. Over at the Crossgen boards I asked Barbara Kessel the chances of CrossGen recruiting you. She indicated it would be the best thing in the world but not likely to happen.
    If you ever get tired of Star Wars keep that in mind ;)

9. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I will never get tired of Star Wars! :cool: [face_love]

I posted this on the Aayla Secura thread, but I'll ask it again here. Has anyone seen the commercial for some kind of lightsaber or light up pen? I looked up just in time to see a Jedi who I was sure was Aayla running across the screen in the Arena scene, swinging her lightsaber! Anyone else catch this--or am I hallucinating?

10. Arwyn

Arwyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    hi Jan, nice thread ya got here
    (i actually traveled away from the AOTC board :) )

if ya ever think of filling in even at CrossGen, that would be sweet

anyway are you still working on ROP,are you like in the middle of drawing ish 2 or something?how far along are ya is what i'm wondering

11. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Arwyn! Nice to see you over here.

I'm working on issue 4 of RITE OF PASSAGE right now. Great story--lots of fights--it really kicks. I'm having a great time with it!

I might do a fill in for CrossGen someday. Barbara K has asked me to and she's a good friend and also was my editor back in the Dungeon and Dragon days. If I ever did, I'd want Rick Magyar (he inked Maul and Twilight) to ink the book. Could be fun!

12. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    ask for Sojourn. that's D&D like.

13. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Darth L--Yeah, Sojourn is cool. Not sure I'd want to draw a D&D book again, though when I think about it Rick Magyar inked my pencils on that too!

I really like the Sci-Fi aspect of Star Wars coupled with the Samaurai and old western feel of the Jedi and bounty hunters and such. I really 'grew up' on Sci-Fi tales so when Star Wars was first shown, I really dug it because it was everything I wanted to see in a science fiction movie--plus!

Here's a question open to anyone--what would you like to see more of/less of in Star Wars Republic? Anything--characters, setting, stories. What/who are you interested in seeing?

14. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I'd honestly like to see the characters rotate. I like Quinlan and Villie and such, but I'd like to get to know some other characters too.
    Not everything has to revolve around Jedi either.

15. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I'd really like the series to focus on how certain characters got to where they are in AotC. The rise of the confederacy and Dooku...Palpatine being allowed to stay in office...amidala becoming a senator, the early seperatist conflicts...

Perhaps a little background info on Dooku's acolyte Sevrance Taan

16. chaingunsofdoom

chaingunsofdoom Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    Hi Jan,

I like how things are in the ongoing now, but the one thing I'd like more of, is more Jedi please! :)

This is the one part of the EU timeline where there are boatloads of Jedi and it's only scratched the surface :)

Maybe some more Aayla, or some Barriss and Luminara, or some Kit Fisto, or Shaak-Ti, or someone new... :D

- CGD

17. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    I'm sort of in an implicit trust mode with both you and John. Since you are Star Wars fans, you seem to just plain know what we want to see. It's why the stories are so good.

I do have one question: Star Wars: Republic has been refered to as an Episode II book. Does that mean we're locked into that era or could we see some pre Episode I stuff? Stuff like Jedi Council, etc.

18. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Hey Jan,

Personally, I like seeing the rotating Jedi characters in the Star Wars Ongoing comics as well. So job well done all around for the DHC crew!!! I've enjoyed that approach, and I've enjoyed the versatility that scheme allows in terms of "what kinds of stories" to tell!!!

In general, and appealing to probably a much narrower portion of the fan base, I've liked seeing some SW characters and SW details from other SW licensees being featured in the DHC's. For example, I've loved seeing the Patty Jackson (WEG's) planet, Socorro, in your most recently published "SW Tales" story. I also liked seeing the Yinchori (sp?) (from Marvel Comics) featured in the 4-issue Jedi Council: Acts of War (right title?) comic series. Witches of Dathomir and the planet, Dathomir, in "Infinities End" . . . Good! And the comic adaptation of Jedi Quest . . . Good, Good, Good!!!

I guess I like cross-overs period - it gives me an impression that the licensees are SWEU fans too! Which is good!!!

That being said and as examples, I'd love to see the following characters crossed over from other SW licensees featured in SW Ongoing:

- Adi Gallia and her apprentice, Siri (Tachi???) from Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice novels.

- Luminara Umduli and her apprentice, Barriss Ofee (sp?), from AotC's and Alan Dean Foster's novel, The Approaching Storm.

- Tracia Cho-Lem from Greg Bear's "Rogue Planet" novel.

- Sullustan Jedi Master, Darrin Arkanian, and his apprentice, Corwin Shelvay, from WEG Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments From the Rim, (however, continuity-wise, I don't think this will work, Corwin is probably much too young).

- The Caamasi Jedi, Ylenic A'kla (sp???) from Michael Stackpole's novel - I, Jedi, (see Margaret Ann Lewis's Essential Guide to Aliens & WotC' New Jedi Order Sourcebook for the appearance of a Caamasi).

- Jerec and/or Qu-Rahn, Prequel Era Jedi Masters from LucasArts Dark Forces games.

Regarding Non-SW Ongoing comics:

What I'd really love to see - is an original, brand spankin' new "Star Wars Tale" featuring the Marvel Comics Star Wars characters - Kiro and/or Lumiya - with or without an original script from Mary Jo Duffy - with a time setting in the New Republic Era. Give the Marvel Star Wars fans something new, and original (there's still a big fan base out there on this!)!!!

Or I'd love to see DHC tap the collective knowledge of Pablo Hidalgo, Dan Wallace AND Rich Handley and see what those crazy, die-hard continuity oriented fans and authors could come up with!

Everything's been good! I've been enjoying your work on the Star Wars books, as well as DHC's in general. It's always a good day when a new DHC SW book is on the stands!

Sincerely,

Ana V

19. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I think I've got a name in the wrong order above, it's "Ann Margaret Lewis," NOT "Margaret Ann Lewis," right? Sorry about that.

20. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Hey Jan I don't know if you've seen these yet but I thought that you would get a kick out them.

Here are some behind the scenes pics of the upcoming Secura figure :D

Its kinda funny cause they based the design sketches off the cover of Darkness #2 (the one GL saw when he decided to put her in AOTC) so they though the Lekku went straight up [face_laugh] . There are also some quite nice shots of the actress who played her (an ILMer actually) ;)

21. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I think it was really cool to see Aayla in ATOC - didn't know she'd be there, and was like "wait, that looked like...!"....*grin* Just wished we could have gotten a glimpse of Quin as well, but at least he was in the comic!

As to what I'd like to see...lots and lots of Quin and Villie! Together! Personally, I don't like Tholme, but well...And of course, now is the time for some Anakin and Obi-Wan! A few years before AOTC, preferably. I've heard about a project called Honor and Duty (don't know if I got this right - but you're not drawing that one, are you? Pity.) and it sounds cool...but it's not enough. Well, could I ever get enough of Anakin (or Vader, for the matter)? Not likely.

I think the first issue of Rite of Passage (we're a little behind here in Sweden) looked very good. It's cool to see what Aayal looked like when she was a kid. And though Quinlan was missing from that issue, I have a feeling he'll show up in the next one (or is that just whisful thinking?)

22. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    First, thanks to all for your feedback on my question, I appreciate you comments!

Darth Ludicrous--Glad you like Quin and Villie, but I understand your wanting to see what's going on with other characters as well. That's all in the works and John will be using other Jedi as well as some non-Jedi characters (see Honor and Duty for that in September (?)

Maverick--We should be dealing with some of the Separatist doings in upcoming issues as well as with Dooku. Some characters are still 'hands off'.

Chaingunsofdoom--Glad you are enjoying the Ongoing book. All the Jedi you mentioned are characters I would love to draw in Star Wars! Don't know which ones we'll have the opportunity to use, but I'm hopefull we'll see all the ones you mentioned!

Matt Periolat--Thanks for your trust in what John and I are doing with the book! That means you are enjoying the stories and that is great! Republic is an Episode II book because events in it will take place closer to Ep II than to I. Far as I know, there won't be Ep I events in it--maybe in flashback?

Ana V--I'd like to see Adi (always a favorite of mine) and Siri. Luminara and Bariss (so visually cool, it would be a shame to limit them to the novels!) Got to do my research on Caamasi--I'm not remembering that species. Yeah, I'd like to see lot's of cross-over too--I really like the idea of mixing the characters together in stories. And there are so many stories to tell! Don't know if any New Republic Era stories are planned--there should be, shouldn't there?

weezer--I saw David Vennemeyer working on the Aayla figure at C2 as well! He also had copies of several panels of my art from Darkness as reference. I introduced myself and he explained how he hoped the Aayla figure would work once she was done. Basically, she would be able to take the pose on the Foster cover as well as perform a high kick like the one shown in the concept drawing. He does awesome work! Got to meet Amy as well--she loves the character and seemed to really enjoy the role of playing Aayla (I'm pretty sure she got to see the figure as well.) C2 was too cool!

Queengoddess--Aayla made the big time, didn't she! (and survived!) No, Quin was not in the film--I knew he wouldn't be, but at the time the Arena scene was being drawn, the lineup of Jedi present in the Arena was not known, so I was given permission to use whoever I wanted. I couldn't resist putting Quin in there. *gasps* You don't like Tholme!!?? Well, so far, he hasn't been very likeable, but you may change your mind after Rite of Passage. We'll see. (I like him because he's sneaky and a little bit arrogant...and those are his good qualities!) Don't worry--you won't be missing Quin in issue 2 of ROP. :D ;) (I thought it was kind of fun to see young Quin with Aayla though...) And no, I'm not drawing Honor and Duty. I'd like to get to draw Anakin and Obi-Wan again in future issues. Maybe for issue 50.

Guess that's it for now--if anyone else clicks onto this thread and wants to comment on what they like/ or would like to see in Star Wars Republic, I'm listening! And if anyone ever gets over to the Dark Horse site, don't be shy to let them know what you are thinking either!

Again, much thanks! --Jan

23. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    maybe you could explain why Stass Allie looks just like Adi Gallia but is a completely different character.

24. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Aren't they related?

25. ElegantWeapon

Nov 27, 2001
    I've kinda lost track of A'Sharad. Is he still alive in the EU? I remember reading you wouldn't mind drawing him in a series.

I loved the idea of a Tusken and Jedi in Sharad Hett. Too bad he got knocked off.

Did you read the Outlander 6-part series, what'd you think of the look and story.

Maybe you could work in a Dark Woman series with Aalya? She's a mysterious character.