main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Hi! I haven't seen a printed copy of Dooku yet--hoping to get to the shop tomorrow. Glad anyone who saw it is liking it! (kampilan and bulent_hasan so far?)

I think the story itself is pretty chilling-we wanted to see Dooku doing what he does best-wait'll you see the follow-up to it... Not sure how readers are going to take this one...

We took a different direction on the art this time--I did a lot of tight pencils--some of which Dan actually tightened as well--like the clouds on Ord Ibana. There are also inks washes in many of the bg's courtesy of Dan (Dooku's lair, the prison cell and a bunch of other places.) It's really tough to tell where one technique ends and another begins at times. I think it all melded pretty tightly on this one. Dan and Brad are the BEST!

It'll be cool to see the movie when you have it up, bulent_hasan! Hope you liked Dooku...

jed-eye--I did a picture of Mara for someone as a commission, but haven't drawn ay of those characters in a comic--yet. I think I did about 9 or 10 issues of X-Factor. I actually never counted...

kampilan--Aw--at least you get to see A'Sharad in action one last time.... [face_devil]

benTantillies--Star Wars is the only book I draw right now--I can really only draw about one book a month and give it the kind of detail I give the SW books.

clonewarseu--gotta check out the script--

DarthMane2--cool thoughts about the Mandalorians. We're just not going to be able to do anything with them right now, I guess. Too bad too--would have been fun! I still think it could be told eventually--Boba ought to be a little older though.

timbolton--I've mentioned before, I really would like to draw Mara in a story eventually. I think she's a great character and under-rated. I have definite ideas how I'd portray her. Haven't jumped in on the DH board--wanted to see how Holly's story progressed first. I could give her some thoughts though.

Ok--G.O.D.--let's see if we can get Jayzaa into another story! ;)

2. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Just dropping in to repeat what I said in John's thread:

Jan, everytime I think you've hit the peak, you climb another step! Dooku was GORGEOUS and frankly, like I said to John, you deserve to be made a Star Wars artist for life for your work here. Just amazing.

Thank you from of the bottom of my heart. Your art is one of the reasons I love seeing a Star Wars comic in my box every once in a while. ;)

Now, start bugging the folks at Dark Horse about getting your Star Wars art published in a portfollio book! I'd buy it in a second!

My congradulations and deepest respect and admiration.

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    That's to bad. I was hoping for the Mandalorians to get a mention. Ya know, like during a breifing for in conversation some talks about hwo the Mandalorians are really giving the republic a beating. Something like that, but I actually think that would be a bad Idea.

Putting them in the clone wars restricts them as a whole. In the clone wars they would have to have joined a side, but put them in early empire. Than you can do whatever you want with the Mandalorians. The time between E3 and ANH is hardly documented giving the Mandalorians plently of play room, and the stories actually even fit into continuity better in that era.

Just think about, Mandalorians vs the Empire. In some ways it would be like Mandalorian War 2, and in some cases it would still be a clone war.

Plus it could take place atleast up until about 5 or 6 years before ANH.

4. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    ***Minor spoilers***

It was pretty cool to see the comics debut of Jedi Kai Justiss. And Dooku even recognized him ;) . Great to see Jiesel and Choi again. Khaleen was rendered gorgeously and cool to see that she played a short but important part in the War intel. If I had to choose just one favorite, page 39 would have to be my choice.

5. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Dooku was just beautiful Jan! :D

SPOILERS

It's definately good to see Dark Jedi other than Ventress. And I certainly didn't expect the ending! [face_shocked] Oh, and that large, circular window was very ROTJ-ish.

6. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    Dooku was an incredible story, and the artwork was top notch (I pretty much consider you, Jan, the essential Star Wars artist ;)

you probably dont remember me, I met you at the Mid-Ohio Con last weekend, I just thought it was awesome to meet you and Amy and Michonne and Joe, and Kai Justiss, of course

I loved all the information given out at the Jedi panel on Sunday, I cant wait for your ongoing works

7. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Jan, your art is always a highlight, but with Dooku you totally outdid yourself.

you said something about using colored pencils or something, i think, before, and John keeps saying that you did a lot of really innovative stuff in terms of technique that we should ask you about... tell, tell!

8. GodofDeath

GodofDeath Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    "We took a different direction on the art this time--I did a lot of tight pencils--some of which Dan actually tightened as well--like the clouds on Ord Ibana. There are also inks washes in many of the bg's courtesy of Dan (Dooku's lair, the prison cell and a bunch of other places.) It's really tough to tell where one technique ends and another begins at times. I think it all melded pretty tightly on this one. Dan and Brad are the BEST!"

I'm very anxious to see what "Jedi - Dooku" will look like, I'm getting it tomorrow for sure! (Haven't been able to yet due to work hours.) Especially curious to not only see the story play out which I suspect will be thrilling and epic with the necessary twists but also how the alternate techniques will look like in the issue! :)

Aayla possibly returning as her alter -undercover- ego Jayzaa? Now that would be awesome! :D

9. bulent_hasan

bulent_hasan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    Hey Jan

I am about to step out and purchase my copy of DOOKU, can't wait to read it.

speaking of waiting, on a personal note, I have completed a website for the short film I wrote/directed, check it out when you have the time.

http://members.shaw.ca/hclan/CHILL/

it doesn't give anything away but will help get the point of the film across.

I'll be back later to give my 2cents about Dooku!

10. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    timbolton--I've mentioned before, I really would like to draw Mara in a story eventually. I think she's a great character and under-rated. I have definite ideas how I'd portray her. Haven't jumped in on the DH board--wanted to see how Holly's story progressed first. I could give her some thoughts though.

Hi Jan,
    Thanks for the reply again and I look forward to the day you do a Mara story (here's hoping, fingers crossed)

I got Jedi: Dooku yesterday and I absolutely loved it. The best Jedi issue so far with just such a mix of stuff. Your pencils as usual are stunning (you know whenever I try to draw humans they look terrible, you just draw them so well lol). So this issue totally blew me away.

I know before this issue came out you and John mentioned the new techniques you were tryig out for this issue, and John said in his thread to ask about them as they are cool. I think I saw something new in Dooku's force lightning. Please could you explain them and have they got anything to do with computer-aided design as that is something I keep trying mixed results. I sketched an image of a Rodian on Nar Shaddaa (one of my favourite SW locations) and then coloured with watercolours, and then used to PhotoShop to enhance it. It looked OK. I am trying to do a full image of Luke on a muddy /rocky planet as a title image for a fanfic I am writing. Doing it all in PhotoShop, lines / colours / everything. Will see how that turns out.

I have done the first script for Holly on issue one of her Alexis story and she is penciling it now. She liked it and where we are going to take the story so far (though as it is HER story, she is changing what I write when she feels the need to, she's keeping me under control lol as I can be a pain in the bum sometimes - grumpy rather than egotistic, mind). Any advice would be much appreciated from you, the DHC boards now have a PM option so you could talk to her that way rather than post on the boards themselves, if you don't feel like jumping in. But since everyone is doing so anyway, your advice would be appreciated.

I think we have a colourist now and I reckon I can do the lettering in PhotoShop - check out this thread on DHC boards for an example of my photoshop "skills" lol (I did sketch the stuff first though) -

A Day in the life of a DHC board poster

Jeremy wants more of them but Randy has been quiet (I think he in biding his time until I cross the pond to visit the SW celebrations in 2005, hopefully). Maybe visiting the DHC desk will NOT be a good idea if Randy is waiting there.

Anyways, thanks for the kindness and advice, and well done on Dooku - I can't wait to see you return to the Republic ongoing series.

Oh before I forget, I have read a cool inteview with you and John and other DHC comic creators at Underground Online (UGO) -
    Star Wars Comics Group Interview.

Warmest regards,

Tim

11. GodofDeath

Feb 15, 2003
    I picked up "Jedi - Dooku" yesterday and it is an amazing issue, a really earth shattering story with a breathtaking end!

I mostly was astounded at how well Dooku is portrayed, the symbiosys between your art and John's writing of the character is epic and frighteningly good!
    Dooku is such a deliciously evil Sith Lord, much like Sidious in how he slyly uses every word and action as tool of manipulation (sheer genious of him using the truth as his most potent weapon!) ... most of all it was stunning how well and accurately his facial features were portrayed. :) (That look of madness in his eyes, brilliant...)

Quinlan and Khaleen looked awesome! I'm glad we got to see more of their -rather tragic- relationship fleshed out and a more certain look into what Quinlan is really feeling.
    However it is sad that Aayla's prophetic words seem to have become truth. :(

There were a few panels where the alternate visual techniques reminded me a bit of "Sacrifice", but still clearly different. The textures of everything looked amazing, from skin, cloth to surfaces and lighting!

Cool to see Jeisel return and the cameo of Kai Justiss was great too! :)

12. bulent_hasan

Feb 15, 2002
    JEDI: Dooku was AMAZING!! The story was solid and the art was superb! It gave my favorite character in the Star Wars EU the best story Arc I have read in years. In a way I see this as the end of his storyline but in another way it is also the beginning of another story arc, creating a much more solid character for us to enjoy. BRAVO! Another job well done. I can't wait for you to do another book to totally out yourselves!

13. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Matt Periolat--Thanks you very much--I really appreciate your kind thoughts and words. I am so thrilled that everyone seemed to enjoy Dooku. It was without a doubt one of the most challenging stories I've ever undertaken. I think Dan Parsons and Brad anderson would agree. But more about that later...

DarthMane2--agreed then--leave the Mandalorians be for now--and really get to them later between Ep III and ANH. When I see them--I want to see them with a slightly older Boba Fett there and at their total badass finest.

kampilan--Yeah--page 39 was a fave of mine too. Just one of those pages that worked out just the way I saw it in my mind.

Whitey--Thanks! Glad you liked the other dark Jedi. Considering the events in Schism it made sense that Dooku managed to turn a few Jedi to his cause.

CptCorranHorn--Thank you so much! It was nice meeting you too! Glad you could make the panel on Sunday at MOC. It was fun listening to Amy and Michonne and their experiences making the films wasn't it?

I'm really excited about everything that is coming along in the next couple of years on these books. Getting to draw issues of SWR again is great--best thing about it is we'll be there with more story on a monthly basis!

dizfactor--A little about the technique Dan, Brad and myself used on Dooku. First--it's not really that the techniques were new--but it was the first time we mixed pencils, inks and washes within panels and pages. There might be a panel that was all pencil or one all ink. Sometimes we mixed pencil figues with ink figures in the same panel. Sometimes the backgrounds were pencil or washes.

What I really want to do it get some of the penciled pages side by side with the finished and colored pages up on my webside www.janduursema.com. I think that would make it more clear what we were doing on this. I'll post here when and if I can make that happen.

bulent_hasan--checked out the site--looks like the film is going to be very interesting. I am intrigued!

Happy you liked Dooku! True--this is the beginning of some very dark times for Quin and the Jedi. An end and a beginning.

timbolton--The Force lightning was done by Brad on the computer--I think in Photoshop. I have no clue at all how he does this--but it is beautiful. I know he has a very powerful computer so special effects are quick for him to do.

I will PM Holly to see if she would like any advice. If she does, I'd be glad to post there--if it could help anyone. Thanks for letting me know.

Checked out 'day in the like of a DH poster' and laughed myself silly. I agree with Jeremy--more! I'm sure Randy liked it too--he's got a wonderfully wicked sense of humor and probably got a good chuckle out of it.

Sounds like you are trying some interesting pics with Photoshop--I've never tried to actually draw in it myself--but I understand there are some artists who do and very successfully. If you want to post them here or provide a link, I'd love to see them. Blueline Pro has a neat little book on coloring for comics with Photoshop. If you haven't seen it it might be helpful for you--it's not expensive but has some good basic tips in it.

GodOfDeath-- :D Neat that you liked the issue--Dooku is truly evil, isn't he? The most fastinating thing about him to me is that he makes the Seperatist movement and the confederacy seem right. He's an incredibly complex villian and that makes him even more dangerous.

>>Quinlan and Khaleen looked awesome! I'm glad we got to see more of their -rather tragic- relationship fleshed out and a more certain look into what Quinlan is really feeling.<<

But what is Quin really feeling for Khaleen? Is it love? Can someone in the dark side understand love?

It was fun to see Jeisel again--she's becoming a favorite character of mine. Intro'ing Kai Justiss into the comic was fun too after seeing him in SW Insider for so long!

14. bulent_hasan

Feb 15, 2002
    I think someone who is on the dark side knows love better than someone in the light, simply because their actions will be biast and be affected by their emotion, their love, say for someone. If their loved one were killed then revenge would be the next course of action, like Quin in the Dooku book.

i forgot to ask, were all the pages inked? i don't think they were, your pencils were very prominent in many panels, why was that?

15. GodofDeath

Feb 15, 2003
    "But what is Quin really feeling for Khaleen? Is it love? Can someone in the dark side understand love?"

I'm becoming more convinced that Quin may indeed have genuine feelings for Khaleen. If he does not, he has fallen even deeper than one would suspect, abusing her most deepest and sincere emotions. (Twisting them to suit his needs and achieve his goals ... if so he would be no better than Dooku.)

I think it very probably that someone who has fallen to the Dark Side can indeed love (though the line between love and hate becomes very fine, if not blurry for those truly following the Dark Side) ... understand it, that's maybe another issue. But they surely can love.

What John's splendid writing and your breathtaking artwork showed us in "Jedi: Dooku" ... and it was nearly crystal clear in how well Dooku's features and expressions were portrayed (one can't help but be amazed by the great art, how pencil details and ink shadows intermixed and combined with the colors, just great!) is the very nature of the Dark Side. Not that it is by itself purely evil, but the Dark Side in essence is pure, unchecked power.
    Looking at Dooku and how Quin acts when he truly lets go is that the Dark Side is raw power that may even transcend the power of the Light Side. But it is also the ultimate corruptor as clearly Dooku is not in control of the Dark Side and its power, but the Dark Side controls him.
    (Which is why the Jedi teach and focus on control over emotions, as they know the Dark Side's unchecked power is so appealing and will take one over.)
    It is that power which he fell to that has driven him to become a Sith, it is that power has driven him insane. (For all his genious and intelligence, he is quite clearly mad. Just as Sidious is.)

However, seeing Quin's current path I can't help but have this distinct fear that if Aayla would face him to try and make him see reason that regardless of their deep bond as master and padawan, tragically neither may survive the encounter... :(

16. VILLIEMACE

VILLIEMACE Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2001
    Hi Jan

It is Tom AKA Villiemace here.

Just writing to say that I absolutely loved Dooku. I think it is the best comic that you and John have ever done. You and John created some fantastic scenes in it. I loved the bit at the beginning when Dooku walks onto the ship. Just like Darth Vader in A New Hope.

I also loved the bit when Sheyfe Tinte is about to fight Dooku and Dooku says " you have no idea who you are fighting. You will learn!" Absolutely outstanding stuff.

So Quin has fallen to the Dark side! I am looking forward to seeing what plans you have for him and the Council.

I am especially excited as I am going to New York the week before christmas. I have never been before so am really looking forward to it. I will take Dooku to read on the plane with me.

Anyway got to go.

Keep up the good work

Best wishes

Tom

If I can think of any more things that I liked about Dooku, I will let you know.

17. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    "Dooku is truly evil, isn't he?"

Is he? I dunno, that was something I was thinking about after reading Dooku. Yes, Quin killed, but is it a Dark Side act by killing a creature OF evil? I honestly have always thought that was one of the things that made Dooku an appealing character to me: yeah, he works for the bad guy, but I have always thought he did believe what he was doing was for a greater good.

That's one of the cool factors of the story of Star Wars: some just automatically say a character is evil because of the acts, others see reasoning behind it, others believe redemption can still come. That's how it was with Anakin and appears to be that way with Quin. How will the story go from here? THAT'S what I cannot wait to see.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    DOOKU was magnificent! You drew Dooku's character really well and I would imagine that is hard as Chris Lee has such a dignified look.

Nice job!

19. bulent_hasan

Feb 15, 2002
    WICKED! Jan's back on a QUINLAN VOS story in REPUBLIC starting on March 2004. The crappy thing is that we have to wait till March to see what happened to Quin since Jedi: Dooku, the cool thing is that its my b-day that week so i'll treat myself to some Jan's Star Wars AND its out on St. Patricks day so I have drink that pint of stout along with reading Republic! Not a bad combo!

I'm really sick of this over drawn out battle in Republic that has anakin front and center with all the padawans dieing all over. Its dreary and not enjoyable in my book.

20. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Hi everyone !
    It's been a while ...
    Jan, I have read Jedi : Mace Windu and Shaak Ti and I loved them both ! Really great stories and beautiful art. The characters are very nice, I like them a lot.
    Can't wait to read the other ones ...

21. Apophis

May 26, 2002
  22. Apophis

May 26, 2002
    What about the Chu'untor ?
    Are there any signs of the big Jedi Academy to appear in some books ?
    That would be cool !

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I recently picked up the Clone Wars TPBs. I was really impressed with your artwork! Keep it up!

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    After a three-month delay, I've finally gotten Clone Wars TPB 2. I enjoyed Jedi: Catspaw the most. I now have an idea what Zeltrons are. Ti shows she can be as combative as she is empathic. Though she did take a blaster shot to the gut and still get up?

No character there was just a backgroud face, they all had a role. It was interesting to have Autem thrown in. It was a nice link to other unTPBed stories I haven't read.

I've noticed the pattern: at least one Jan/Jon character has to continually grin! It used to be Villie, this time it was Lyshaa.

All in all, I'm more partial to CW1 than this second installment, but it was an enjoyable read.

25. Apophis

May 26, 2002
    What kind of form of Lightsaberfighting do Quinlan and Aayla use ?