main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Pretty sure that works. Appreciate it!

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Interesting. It seems bold to canonize Lettow and Gardaji considering the roles of those locations in Legends.

and they'd battle the Galactic Umpire

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    edit: double post

4. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Will someone please give Merei Spanjaf a hug? She kind of needs one.

darthosaka likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    PS plz use spoiler tags for Imperial Justice.

6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    And of course, UPS didn't drop off the book before I had to leave for the evening... Oh well.

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I finished Imperial Justice yesterday. Another fantastic book, maintaining the truly excellent qualities that has made this series really great. Zare and poor Merei are some of my favorite characters of the new canon solely because of this series. The plot deepens, it darkens, it twists and turns. Some truly excellent stuff here, Jason, many kudos.

Danifae, Gorefiend, jasonfry and 2 others like this.
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    As I said somewhere else, it's the most nuanced and complex book in the modern canon. It is really spectacular.

9. Starsaber49

Starsaber49 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 22, 2015
    Out of curiosity, is there a thread for the third book yet? Or has the Jason Fry discussion become some sort of general thread for the series?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Jason, I'm trying to figure out how long it's gonna take me to get through the glut of Force Friday stuff and I just wanted to confirm--are Weapon of a Jedi & co basically analogous to SotE in terms of word count? I thought I saw something suggesting they were shorter, but the page counts on Amazon suggest they're longer.

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

The Luke and Leia books are each about the same length as SotE. Not sure about the others.

13. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    You guys have convinced me to pick up this series. However, I haven't begun watching Rebels yet (waiting for the blu-ray release). Should Rebels be viewed prior to Jason's books, or are they really not interconnected?

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It gives a lot of nice background for Zare's scenes in the show, but you don't really need to know anything about the show plot to follow it. The argument could be made that it spoils some things, though.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hopefully there are some Ackbar sightings. Each one if worth me purchasing a copy of Jupiter Pirates.

Play your cards right and I can probably cover a mortgage payment. :p

--Adm. Nick

jasonfry likes this.
  16. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

I read Edge of the Galaxy first (it was out before Rebels premiered). I think that's a good place to start, because it takes place before Rebels and gives a nice background/introduction to Lothal. Then watch Rebels, then read the rest of the series (if you can wait!)

CooperTFN likes this.
  17. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    A tiny scene in Rebels might lose some suspense if you read these first but not a big deal. Curious as to why you have interest in reading these books and haven't in watching Rebels yet or why you have time to read these books but not watch Rebels yet. Maybe you're just more of a reader.

18. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I haven't watched Rebels yet because I'm waiting for the blu-ray release. I don't have any sort of cable/TV service, so unless I wanted to download each episode from iTunes or something, I can't watch the episodes. Plus I just can't stand watching TV -- I'll happily wait for the blu-ray.

Because of this, and because of the YA status of these books, I initially had no interest. But it seems, from reading these boards, that these books are among the best of the new canon. If that's the case, then I have to check them out!

19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Since Anaxes was Jason's idea, I thought it appropriate to post this Databank update here:
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/fort-anaxes
    Cons: Anaxes fragmented after the CW in the new canon, a major change in the planet's lore.
    Pros: The asteroid atmosphere is yellowish, like the sky of Anaxes in Coruscant and the Core Worlds. Maybe the Empire established bases on some of the other habitable portions?

20. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Theoretically, this also means that Anaxes is no longer a Core World in the new canon either, since I can't imagine the Lothal rebels just casually ducking back and forth into the heart of the Core to lose their Imperial pursuers. Maybe if I scrunch my eyes up super tight, I can just pretend that there's an Anaxes Minor in the Outer Rim, and the Defender of the Core is still alive and kicking...

King of Alsakan likes this.
  21. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Hm, I don't mind that as a tactic, it would actually fit, since it'd be the last thing the Imperials would expect. And it works as long as the group is so small and the Core is relatively peaceful and devoid of insurgencies. It does house a lot of imporant Republic shipyards in the new canon, so it seems more logical to keep it close to Coruscant.

It does put a damper on things that they decided that base was the exact same in both TCW and Rebels, though. Then again, it would be cool to see the updated Anaxes Citadel and Imperial naval training maneuvers in-between asteroids.

All in all, just another problem for Jason to solve.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There's no reason to assume it's not a Core World -- if it's abandoned, then that's a good enough reason.

While I am 100% willing to forgive a retcon that makes this Anaxes some Rim world or even another planet in the system, I don't think that the Story Group intends to use those fixes this early. I don't think it's a mistake either, I think it's purposeful to link the two. It's an unfortunate decision that didn't have to be, but it's not in error.

So yeah guys. We're not in Kansas anymore. ANAXES is gone :(

(Yes autocorrect, I'm sad too)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For the first time since the canon reboot, I'm sad. We lost the Defender of the Core, a world that had so much untapped potential to be used in the new EU. :(

jasonfry

Quickly. Grab some plutonium! We're going back... to the future!

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    For all we know this is a story element in season two. Why else would they just now make a point of putting it in there rather than leave it vague?

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Oooh, didn't think of that.

Hm, maybe it can be repurposed as a set of fortress asteroids in patriotic fervor post-Yavin?

"The Rebels destroyed the Death Star! ... Just like they did to Anaxes years ago! *shifty eyes*"
    "Anaxes shall rise again!"

CooperTFN and King of Alsakan like this.