main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Are the latter two SW-related or something else?

2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    All SW.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Oh, well, in that case:
    Ooh, mystery.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Related: do we have any idea what the EG lineup is looking like after Characters 3.0? I'm drawing a blank.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Rex? Lorrd? AWESOME!!!!

Lorrd is such a bizarre planet. Well, culture. This is great news.:cool:

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Nope, I think that is the most current. I wonder if they will opt for a 4.0 version of each guide or not?

--Adm. Nick

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I look forward to purchasing the Somewhat More Recent Essential Guide to _______ series.

Malachi108 likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Essential Guide to Disney Retcons?

instantdeath likes this.
  9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The Essential Guide to TCW Retcons should be top priority. :p

Robimus likes this.
  10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Even the very best guides are not going to be able to lead you through hell itself.

11. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Mr. Fry, in your latest short story "Speaking Silently", was the experience of Jeremiah Denton during the Vietnam War an inspiration for the plot?

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    No -- Lorrdian communications were an established part of the EU. Though perhaps whatever author filled out the Lorrdians' capabilities had it in mind.

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hi Jason,

Regarding Perlemia, it was noted in the EGTW that it was devastated by Tionese pressure bombs. In your mind, did Perlemia ever recover or was the idea to show that the world was essentially wiped out by the Tionese, which further galvanized support in the Republic for the war?

--Adm. Nick

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I didn't really think about it. But I'd imagine Perlemia would have recovered while never regaining its prestige. Carthage has been around for three millennia and has 20,000-odd residents today, but the last 2,000+ years of its history are the stuff of footnotes.

I'll now beat various Wookieepedians to it and note that "in my mind" has zero canon status.

RC-1991 likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I really like your reference to Carthage. Very good analogy! I like the idea of certain Core Worlds from the early days of the Republic essentially being "historical footnotes". Old, famous worlds that were eventually surpassed by their younger neighbors in the Core. These are the sorts of worlds that I can see being very archaic and somewhat backwards looking, always trying to venerate their "glory days".

--Adm. Nick

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I wouldn't mind seeing the cut material or behind the scenes material for The Essential Guide to Warfare, particularly the whole Panaka meeting Leia story, it would give us a far idea of what happened to Naboo post-ROTJ.

Any hopes of that seeing the light of day soon?

17. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    From the Essential Guide to Warfare, Page 42:
    Jason Fry, you lucky in-the-know bastard! As a writer of tie-in material of TCW in general and Shadow Conspiracy specifically, you knew this all along, didn't you?

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Heh. That makes me look smarter and better connected than I am. I knew a while ago, yes, but not while writing Warfare. Sometimes you get lucky.

Will have more to say about Shadow Conspiracy and the differences between novel and episode for something on the official site soonest. I think I'd better save further comment for that. (Business, etc.)

Re Warfare cut material, "Speaking Silently" actually began as a section for Warfare, though it was redeveloped extensively to become a story. It benefited from the revamp -- as a vignette it didn't have much of a chance to breathe, which was one reason it got cut.

I'll keep looking for ways to get some of that other Warfare material out there, but it's not as easy as you might think. Which isn't anybody's fault -- just that (again) this is a business and such things get complicated.

And now back to Jupiter Pirates 2. Happy Super Bowl, everybody....

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    For the curious: Aforementioned blog post is up on the official site, about the writing of Shadow Conspiracy and the difference between show episodes and books. Plus it comes with a chance to test your knowledge of really esoteric Star Wars dorkery.

JoinTheSchwarz and HedecGa like this.
  20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Jason, have there been any efforts to make sense of the new CW timeline yet between the higher ups, or is it too soon to tell? When an attempt finally is made, will it be all encompassing, salvaging as much material as possible (if not all of it)? I know it'll be tough, but I'd like as few stories lost as possible, and reasonable amounts of time provided for as much as can be.

As it is right now, we do seem to roughly have an order in which stories appear in (especially if I follow the essential reader's companion novel order, even if I am skeptical of the whole "Anakin's knighted 4 weeks into the war" wild space retcon), but I still hope to see a reasonable attempt made to restructure the old ABG dates at some point, and ensure that pretty much every old story happens somehow, somewhere... Yes, even Obsession. I've been making personal attempts to figure out the new timeline for years now, simple because I enjoy the TCW era and material (both old and new) so much.

Any insight you can provide on the status of this would be wonderful.

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm afraid I have no insight to provide -- I wouldn't be a party to any such discussions. I will say, though, that in my experience the LFL folks have always agreed with the philosophy of trying to make things work and valuing every story. So I'm somewhere between hopeful and certain that when things settle down such an effort will be made, if it isn't happening already.

HEDGESMFG and HedecGa like this.
  22. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Thank you. I only hope the same can then be said for Ep 7 and the post ROTJ EU when the time comes. I'm not particularly attached to it (heck, I can even understand why some people want it gone), but I do think it'd actually make for an interesting back-story to whatever status quo EP 7 does establish.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Welllll... footnotes they may be, but Carthago was rebuilt by the Romans to be bigger and better than it originally was. Vast trading empire gone? Perhaps, but sitting among the first rank of cities alongside Alexandreia, Antiocheia, and Pergamon is not bad at all. Perhaps too Perlemia did prosper after its bombing, but only to the same extent as her fellow Core Worlds as opposed to excelling amongst them. Would that be a fair supposition?

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yep, fair and rather elegant too.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Didn't realize Shadow Conspiracy was out. It's on my Amazon UK list for my next order if I can't find it locally next week.