main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010

That is a good point - the whole period is pretty much "The Revan Show" (he is a video game protagonist after all) and having the section be "just" a summary is a real risk you'd run. Would've been fun to learn some more about the Sith Triumvirate's between-games Jedi genocide though.

And speaking of games, what do you think about the whole "Assume Light Side is canon unless otherwise noted" thing? I know that has some detractors in the community.

darthosaka likes this.
  2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    It's okay. I have to laugh though at Wookie articles that include story summations as "THIS ASSUME 100% LIGHTSIDE CANON," and the like.

Mostly it's because not very much thought is put into darkside endings. I did appreciate Sith Lords' deconstruction of the stereotypical "thug" Sith Lord by Kreia.

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Can't say I've really thought about it, but seems logical to me. You've got to have some default or the encyclopedia would be unusable, right? Happy to be pointed to the counterargument.

The Wook gets plenty of criticism -- including from me -- but as always, it's a lot easier to criticize what's been done than it is to do it.

4. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    There's something to be said for not over explaining something though. Much like a frog, or a joke, you can dissect the whole thing, but it dies in the process. For supplemental books and the like, I think brief summaries are fine, unless there are new details to be revealed.

5. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Hey! That was my article! :)

I remember a while back there were some comments made here and there that maybe Hyperspace articles would have a home somewhere but that never happened. As a writer it is very frustrating to not even be able to refer someone to a back issue or something to read an old article! Especially given the time and effort put into bringing that storyline back into the spotlight AND make if fit better within the newer EU. But there were so many other articles from friends also on that list. Though I would guess that putting them out in any kind of print edition would be seen as having too small an audience.

Again, there were a couple of paragraphs about the Nagai war in "Warfare", which to me was still more than I would have expected. (Other guides have mentioned it alongside the Bakura incident, and the Essential Atlas gave us a map showing conflicts from the war.) Jason mentioned his Bey profile seen in the Author's Cut, and I also got a glimpse of his earlier version of Bey's story. The Author's Cut version was slightly modified to better match up with the Bey history from my Nagai-Tof War article. I like mine, obviously, but I liked Jason's, too, which I think was a bit more elaborate than mine. :) I was happy to be able to set more precise dates for the stages of that war, a bit of which I was able to reference in my later Star Tours article. (It's fun being able to write a footnote citing yourself as a source...) Thankfully, that article is still out there.

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Where is this article?

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Did you even read what he posted? [face_dunno]

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean the cut content, right? Here

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the issue with the LS=canon thing is it works for Revan and the Exile because their stories are more interesting that way. However, the Old Republic is weird because there's a lot to be said the Dark Side endings for the Republic characters include some really interesting characters while the LS choices are not always the right ones. For example, there's quite a few LS choices which has you be a sanctimonious jackass.

Of course, the LS Sith are awesome too.

So are the Neutral ones.

I admit, part of me loves the Dark Side choice because it just shoves Kreia's teachings in her face and says, "Actually, no, considering people a bunch of disposable pawns creates a psychopath not a superman."

darthosaka likes this.
  9. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    And just in case you mean the Star Tours one... click here!
    :)

my kind of scum likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I mean the Nagai-Tof war

11. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    On the subject of the "Assume Light Side Endings are Canon" thing, I don't really have a problem with this since Star Wars is usually pretty idealistic and has the good guys win in the end.

The weird part is that, because of all the side quests and little moral choices that RPGS usually give you, it's weird to read the article on Revan and have it stop every few paragraphs to say "This is assuming Revan helped the old lady across the street instead of zapping her with Force Lightning".

darthosaka and Daneira like this.
  12. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    That is one of the missing Hyperspace articles I was talking about. Of course, I have it and a few people here and there probably saved some of those articles, I'm sure. But unfortunately most of those exclusives aren't anywhere anyone can see them. Tons of great EU material out of reach.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    You say you have it? Can you send it to me?

14. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001

I think the mistake people take with Kreia is interpreting her words, and worldview, as "the truth" since her criticism is in essence a mouthpiece for Chris Avellone. And indeed, from the perspective of citizens living in the GFFA, the inability for force users to contain their conflicts would be damning in the best of light, necessary or not.

Kreia is a villain, and almost certainly insane to an extent. But it's an insanity like Denethor's, one of seeing the endless war of light and dark as inescapable, and pointless, and losing hope in the ability for good people to change the galaxy for the better. You do not have to agree with her on that front. And in fact, the beauty of the lightside ending is despite all her scheming, you can still offer her a simple choice of redemption, which she appreciated in spirit.

darthosaka and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    As a devoted fan of Planescape: Torment and Fallout, I'm more familiar with Chris Avelone than most and know him as a kind of interesting Raistlin Majere-meets-Alan Moore sort of deconstructor. He's a great writer who loves to take apart settings and examine their insides as well as give a kind of bleak "nothing matters, so what you did is all that matters" feeling which is why KOTOR 2 feels so fresh.

However, I don't think it really is sustainable as Star Wars as a whole. To use an analogy, Watchmen is awesome but it'd be a mistake to use it as a model for all superhero comics.

:)

16. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    I wouldn't want it to be the standard, but it's something I'm glad exists. Same reason I'm glad Shatterpoint exists, but glad Matt Stover doesn't do every SW novel.

17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Meesa back! I've got two new books related to Rogue One. First up is Rogue One: Rebel Dossier, an in-universe book that lets you peek over Mon Mothma's shoulder as she reads key documents about the mission. For kids but adult readers should enjoy it -- it's definitely got a WEG/Warfare vibe, as there are changing POVs and arguments. And I've got Rogue One: Secret Mission, an out-of-universe overview of the mission that I hope will be good for kids. Both links support the Jason Fry Beer and Mortgage Fund -- we sincerely thank you for your patronage.

More importantly, Rogue One is GREAT. Think/hope everyone will like it, but if you're a classic-trilogy kid, this is like discovering they shot another film in the late 70s and OMG WE GET TO SEE IT. I really, really, really liked it.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Albeit, theres a huge amount of humor in Mindor for the fact Matthew Stover (Acts of Caine) is writing the world's most heroic superhero aside from Captain America and Superman.

And thanks, Jason!

TheRedBlade likes this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I saw it this morning (3D) - as Jason says, it's very good. I plan on another viewing after Christmas.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  20. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001

I hope you have some supplemental material to help me like Mon Montha again Jason, because boy was I not impressed with her for Rogue One! :p

I'm kidding by the way. I'm perfectly find with a different take on her character other than "Noble Rebel leader". Not sure if we're allowed to talk spoilers in tags, but I'd definitely share some fan thoughts later.

darthosaka likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I almost felt like I was in the position of having to defend Mon Mothma, so instead I'm just going to exile myself from the internet forever...

Fettster, jSarek, Revanfan1 and 5 others like this.
  22. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Hey Jason, nearly done with Weapon of a Jedi. So far it's pretty good!

Luke's voice is fine, the writing is simple, but doesn't come across as dumbed down. I enjoyed the fact it's Luke, R2, C3PO since that trio doesn't get much play, but was one of the most important bits early in ANH.

Also, it was funny to see Luke super disappointed to be flying a Y-Wing, only for it to save his life in a 3-1 dogfight. Just the kind of thing a fighter jockey would grudgingly learn. Good job with the banter and uneasy alliance between Sarco, Luke and the Devarionian girl.

Really the only criticism thus far is that it should be longer, I've only a 1/3 of the book left.

jasonfry likes this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I was looking at the pilot slang in EGTW, and the one I really don't understand is "Senth Herf" being "an admiring assessment of another pilot's abilities", because to me SH could only stand for ***t head. Unless that's the joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonfry likes this.
  24. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Jason, another Essential Guide question if you don't mind. Technically this would be more pertinent to Dan since this was his project, but a.) he doesn't have a thread, and b.) since you're his friend I wondered if you might know something as well. Here goes: how complete was The Essential Characters when it was canceled? If it was already done or nearly so, would there be any way of getting its information out somehow, even if online-only?

Thanks.

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    In real-world pilot slang SH is short for "**** hot." I was happy they let me have that one.