main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Plenty of people think magic is real in THIS world, yet still expect if they parked one car in the garage last night that they won't find two cars in their garage today.

The existence of magic or cinematic physics doesn't render irrelevant the need for consistency and at least a veneer of realism.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Right -- and the Empire was not around as long as the EU supposed that it was, so it wasn't the government everyone was used to -- but a new regime. And one that quickly became unpopular once it revealed its true colors in the years immediately before and immediately after ANH.

Darth Caliban and crazyewok like this.
  3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And even those cultures that believe in magic think it has rules. As I've said many times, "It's magic!" isn't/shouldn't be the go-to handwaving for everything.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Though the EU before the prequels assumed the Empire was around longer, what the prequel era has showed us is that the Empire didn't become the Empire overnight. It was a slow crawl, basically starting when Palpatine became chancellor and then really ramping up during the Clone Wars.

5. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hey NY/CT! I'll be at the John C Hart Memorial Library TOMORROW 6/30 at 11am for a fun discussion of Star Wars reading/writing/fandom. Fun! Snacks! Darth Vader! Plus I'll be signing and have books to buy! COME SAY HI! Details at https://www.yorktownlibrary.org/

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Howdy! So my next Star Wars book, Solo: Tales From Vandor, comes out Tuesday. It’s a replica journal published by Studio Fun, along the lines of Rey's Survival Guide and Bomber Command. The book's narrator is Midnight, the bartender at the Lodge. He’s seen a lot and has plenty of tales to tell about scoundrels such as Han, Chewie, Lando, L3, Beckett and others. Some of those tales are even true! (And some will make Wookieepedians cross with me.) Use this link and part of the proceeds will go to support the Jason Fry Beer & Mortgage Fund. We sincerely thank you for your patronage.

7. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    @jasonfry No matter how hard I try, I never get crossed with you for very long. ;-)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Because suddenly I'm everywhere ... fun interview just dropped with Jamie at The Big Beautiful Podcast in which we cover a lot about writing, the TLJ novelization, etc.:
    -- my writing process/learning from journalism
    -- The Jupiter Pirates and developing an idea
    -- how world-building's like matte painting
    -- writing the TLJ novelization
    -- that prologue and extra scenes
    -- my favorite Star Wars movie/book
    Hope you'll give it a listen!

9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    @jasonfry

I have a question on the Harbinger/Tector Class that you named in The Levers of Power short about Rae Sloane. This was published in October 2015.

The Harbinger/Imperial Class was destroyed the following year in the comic story The Last Flight of The Harbinger that started in July 2016 and the ship appeared in August 2018 (per the Wook).

Did you have advanced knowledge of the destruction of the ISD so knew you would not be duplicating names or did you just like the name Harbinger and used it with the fact of the ISD being named Harbinger was just coincidence?

I kind of head canoned it that the Tector was built and named after the ISD went kablooey.

darthosaka likes this.
  10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    No advance knowledge. Sounds like a coincidence -- Star Wars storytellers seem to really like that name.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wouldn't be the only sci-fi verse with common ship names. According to the Choose Your Enemies novel, the 40K universe has thousands of ships with the name Indestructible (some have II, or IV, or similar, after it).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    darthosaka likes this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...I love that the first thing that makes you think of is the trivia and not the joke.

13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Hey Jason, I had a question.

In the essential guide to warfare admiral Teshik describes his vision of the galaxy's eternal war.

I found this interesting from an IU perspective-Teshik as far I know is a non force sensitive, so my question is how did he have this vision? Was it "given" to him or is there some other explanation?

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hmm, never really thought about it. I suppose my answer would be that the Force acts according to its will, and those actions can affect "regular folks" as well as Jedi, Sith, etc. Because the Force, to steal a recent line, is so much bigger.

15. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Truth be told, I always just assumed that Teshik was hallucinating. He'd just suffered grievous injuries that would require three-quarters of his body to be replaced by cybernetics and was floating through space for god knows how long. Combining that with his presumed Generational status, one would assume that he had a firm grasp of military history which is why his mind was able to conjure up such images.

That being said, he did glimpse future conflicts such as the Yuuzhan Vong War, so I suppose the Force probably could have been at play. Given that we know that death causes living beings to "return to the Force," perhaps being on the threshold of death causes even those who aren't sensitive to the Force to be more in tune with it. Sort of like the metaphysical weirdness some people claim to go through during near-death experiences in the real world.

16. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Jason,

Do you know if there will be a cross section book or the like for Resistance? With all the ships we have seen it just seems to call for it.

17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Teshik has visions of worlds ripped in two and other more vague things he says "he will take with him into the vanishing" this tells me he saw farther into the future than even the end of the legends timeline in 140 ABY. He also saw glimpses of what appear to be the celestials so this leads me to assume it was the force, my point of curiosity was how a non-force sensitive "unlocked" such knowledge. Maybe it was a near death experience bringing him closer to the realm of the metaphysical. I dunno.

Sarge, Darth Caliban and darthosaka like this.
  18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    No idea. I'd write it if they let me, though.

Chris0013 likes this.
  19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, that'd be nice of course. But there wasn't even one for Rebels, so...

DarthJaceus likes this.
  20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    If it comes up it would be cool to bring in a lot of old Legends ship companies that have not been brought back yet.

Rebels really did not have a lot of new ships....Resistance has at least a dozen that we have seen in episodes or the preview stuff.

21. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    Hi Jason,

I have a question regarding the Raddus' armament as listed in the TLJ Incredible Cross Sections.

For a 3km long warship, the Raddus is pretty badly under-armed; Home One and the ISD, both of which are less than half the Raddus' size, feature well above twice the number of heavy turbolasers and ion cannons, among others.

Am I correct in assuming this comparatively weak armament is unique to the post-retirement Raddus only, and that the base MC85's armament was more appropriate for its size? Something like 120 heavy turbolasers, 120 heavy ion cannons, 100 point defense cannons and 8 proton torpedo launchers. The Dawn of Tranquility being stripped of most of its weapons while in mothball wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like that idea, at least - extending it to that the Raddus was like the Errant Venture - stripped down to "civilian standard" for a ship of its size.

23. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I just finished rereading the Servants of the Empire series last week and I really want to know more about these characters after the ending. Jason, you really need to write a novel featuring Merei as a slicer for the rebellion...

24. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    So, uh... Does this mean Mr. Fry is writing something? Maybe just a reflection on past drafts, but one can hope! [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  25. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    The Rise of Skywalker Novelization with more hints to sheev hiding his clone Rey in Jakku

JediBatman, Gamiel and KerkKorpil like this.