main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. VILLIEMACE

VILLIEMACE Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2001
    G'day John

Tom AKA Villiemace here.

I am dead excited at the moment as I have very nearly completed my business studies course at college. The reason I am telling you this is because as motivation for getting me to work, my dad got me the first issue of Rite of Passage and both issues of the devaronian version. The motivation must have worked because as a result of this, I got an A for my latest assignment! All I can say keep up the good work because with a combination of solid work and Villie and count Dooku supporting me as I work, I should be able to pass the course with flying colours!

Keep up the excellent work. You and Jan as a team are as good as yoda and Mace windu! In other words, when you two team up your work is quality of the highest order

All the best and may the force be with you.

Tom

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Don't Mace and Yoda lead to the downfall of the Order with their closed views of Jedi life and the inclusion of Anakin into their ranks?

. . .

;)

3. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    >>So if the Jedi don't form attachments, yet are not celibate... does that mean the Jedi sleep around?! <<

Some of tyhis were discussing this and having some fum with it. I noted that, in addition to playing Mace Windu, Sam jackson also played SHAFT. Maybe we could redo the theme to SHAFT:

Whose the black Jedi master whose a sex machine for all the chicks?

MACE!

Dig it you can?

<g>

-- John

4. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Useless question and probably the wrong forum: does anyone know how long Del Ray and Dark Horse have contracts to publish SW material? <<

I believe that DH's runs through the next movie which would be 2005. Don't quote me on this.

-- John

5. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Don't Mace and Yoda lead to the downfall of the Order with their closed views of Jedi life and the inclusion of Anakin into their ranks? <<

Personally, I blame that doggone Qui-Gon. Sucker for a little kid with big eyes. He champions the kid and the Republic goes to pot.<g>

-- John

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    hey, John... people are asking questions about you here:

7. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Hey how's it going, John?

Aside from being a fan of Quinlan and Aayla I'm a pretty big Master Zao fan! I keep forgetting he's blind but its like in the old Kung Fu series, right? I'd like to see more of him when you get the chance and Lucasfilm permits! I put up a a thread in the EU Misc when I heard that there was going to be a figure for the Vednoik Peetmo and rekindled my fascination with Zao.

I've posted to Jan many times how I'd like to see a meet up with Aayla and A'Sharad. Hett's my favorite (Jedi) padawan and would like to know if there are any plans to expand his story with Dark Woman and Ki? I know he's Tim Truman's baby but we need more of A'Sahrad! I'm guessing his conflict with Aurra won't be resolved until around EPIII but because of their history they do have a "date" with destiny!
    Have they already published the Darkness TPB? Guess the elusive Heart of Fire will have to included elsewhere...I asked Jan about an Aayla/Quinlan romance story but wouldn't mind an Aayla/A'Sharad flirting one! Aayla could be Black Cat and A'Sharad Peter Parker! :D

Congrats to you and Jan for Lucas including Aayla Secura in AOTC.

8. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>hey, John... people are asking questions about you here:
    <<

Interesting. For those who haven't seen it, they're asking questions about my character GRIMJACK. Interesting because, at present, we're in serious negotiations to get GrimJack out of the legal limbo he's been in and, i have to say, it looks more hopeful than it has in years.

John Ostrander

9. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >> Date Posted: 6/30 9:38am Subject: RE: The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread - Date Edited: 6/30 9:45am (1 edits total) Edited By: kampilan
    Hey how's it going, John?

Aside from being a fan of Quinlan and Aayla I'm a pretty big Master Zao fan! I keep forgetting he's blind but its like in the old Kung Fu series, right? I'd like to see more of him when you get the chance and Lucasfilm permits! I put up a a thread in the EU Misc when I heard that there was going to be a figure for the Vednoik Peetmo and rekindled my fascination with Zao.

I've posted to Jan many times how I'd like to see a meet up with Aayla and A'Sharad. Hett's my favorite (Jedi) padawan and would like to know if there are any plans to expand his story with Dark Woman and Ki? I know he's Tim Truman's baby but we need more of A'Sahrad! I'm guessing his conflict with Aurra won't be resolved until around EPIII but because of their history they do have a "date" with destiny!
    Have they already published the Darkness TPB? Guess the elusive Heart of Fire will have to included elsewhere...I asked Jan about an Aayla/Quinlan romance story but wouldn't mind an Aayla/A'Sharad flirting one! Aayla could be Black Cat and A'Sharad Peter Parker!

Congrats to you and Jan for Lucas including Aayla Secura in AOTC. <<

Thanks, Kampilan. Zao is actually based on a blind samurai swordsman who appears in a series of Japanese films. We were originally toying with killing him off during DARKNESS but the editor loved him a lot and convinced us we shouldn't. I'm happy he did. Zao is just so cool. We probably WILL be using him again but it will depend on the story.

We HAVE been talking about A'Sharad. A cooler team-up, one that almost cries out to happen, would be Anakin and A'Sharad. How is this possible? Keep in mind that, with HONOR AND DUTY, we move further down the timeline to about a year or two before AotC. and, of course, we have more Quin and Aayla as well. Actually, there are a LOT of big plans. I'll let you know about them as I'm allowed to do so. We're making no small plans.

John

10. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Question to the moderator -- is it alright for me to post info/notice about work that i'm doing ELSEWHERE that is non-SW related, in case people want to take a look?

John

11. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'm no Mod but I think that would be fine John.

Thats one of the things this forum is for is getting a look at some of your fave authors other works.

Personaly I would love to see it. :D

12. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Well, one thing to keep in mind is that A'Sharad Hett has been seen at least once since the "Hunt for Aurra Sing" comic series, in the Jedi Starfighter video game.

Also, it seems likely that A'Sharad doesn't end up killing Aurra Sing, as she's still alive in the "Demolition" video game (not sure how "in continuity" that game is though).

I can't wait to hear about these big plans!

13. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    by all means do, John!

14. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Thanks for the reply John! Can't wait to see what you guys have planned. Y'all getting me hyped up now!

Didnt know A'Sharad was in the Jedi Starfighter game?! Any screen shots avail?

I remember the Zatoichi series but still feel Zao resembles the Blind Shaolin Monk in Kung Fu...

15. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Well, since I got permission, I'll go ahead and hype some of my other projects.

I've done a fill-in issue of THE SPECTRE with # 19, coming out this week, i think. It's a stand alone complete in one issue story.

I'm also doing another western over at MARVEL. This one is called APACHE SKIES and the art is GORGEOUS. Leo manco is doing colored pencil and water color and it looks amazing. They're also eleasing a tpb of my previous western, BLAZE OF GLORY, again with Leo. First issue of APACHE SKIES goes opn sale this month, i believe, and BLAZE OF GLORY may already be on sale.

I'll be doing a LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT three parter over at DC. It's called LOYALTIES and i think the first issue is 159 but I could be wrong.

And over at CHAOS! Comics I've been doing their LADY DEATH character. This month (maybe this week) they start a company wide crossover called DARK ALLIANCE which i'm writing. Very different from SW but fun.

And I have some other projects I'm working on but nothing that can be discussed just yet.

All the best

John Ostrander

16. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Cool! I love Leo Manco's art. I forget if he's Filipino?
    Anakin and A'Sharad on a mission together is awesome. I always enjoyed that scene they had in SW Emissaries to Malastare...

Now that we all see in AOTC how Tuskens effect Skywalker's destiny it'll be interesting to see if they remain friends...Hett is a great character but I am open to what fate you are allowed to give him. I don't collect every SW comic but whenever Zao appears, even Tales, I'll be there! :)

17. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Senator Simon Greyshade in "Honor and Duty"! Awesome! It's been...what...25 years since his last appearance?

18. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    <<Cool! I love Leo Manco's art. I forget if he's Filipino?>>

Actually, he's from Argentina.

>>Anakin and A'Sharad on a mission together is awesome. I always enjoyed that scene they had in SW Emissaries to Malastare...

Now that we all see in AOTC how Tuskens effect Skywalker's destiny it'll be interesting to see if they remain friends...Hett is a great character but I am open to what fate you are allowed to give him. I don't collect every SW comic but whenever Zao appears, even Tales, I'll be there!<<

I'm hoping that by San Diego we'll be able to talk a little more about our plans. We'll see.

John

19. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Senator Simon Greyshade in "Honor and Duty"! Awesome! It's been...what...25 years since his last appearance? <<

I guess. And, oddly enough, we're going back in timeline about 25 years. Odd synchronicity, eh?

John

20. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Mr. Ostrander, AWESOME!!!

Thanks for all the info and behind the scenes stuff you share with us. It makes it all the more special.

I love your work. :)

"Also, it seems likely that A'Sharad doesn't end up killing Aurra Sing, as she's still alive in the "Demolition" video game (not sure how "in continuity" that game is though)."

Her role in Demolition is mentioned in The New Essential Guide to Characters. So, it's within the continuity.

"Didnt know A'Sharad was in the Jedi Starfighter game?! Any screen shots avail?"

He is just in the last mission in a Jedi Starfighter. His face/body is not visable. Also in the battle are The Dark Woman, Bant, Siri (who plays a pretty big role in the game as Adi's former padawan, she is your wingmate for more than a few missions), Ranik Solusar (Kam's father), and I think one other.

21. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Hey group.

As I told you, I went off to a meeting in Portland about the Ongoing. Can't reveal it all yet BUT I will say this much -- BIG changes are coming in SW:REPUBLIC and they'll start with issue 49. They'll be revealed at San Diego and, for those of you NOT going there, I'll come online the same day (or first thing the next day) and tell you what I can.

John

22. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    I'm going to San Diego! Like I wasn't excited before!

Thanks for the heads up, John!

I do have a story to share: when I was in Indy in May, during a panel with the good folks at Dark Horse, including Jan and Randy Stradley, I actually DID ask this question, wondering if there were any plans to use Ki-Adi Mundi, The Dark Woman or A'sharad Hett. It was funny because Jan got this look on her face and looked at Randy with this sort of "Ummmm..." look on her face and Randy says "You can tell him enough to answer his question!" and Jan just confirmed that they had plans for a story.

:D Thanks again, John! I cannot WAIT to see what is coming.

23. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    you are a Gem, John

24. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    I can't wait! I never even went to SW Celeb. II or Wizard World but am glad that my boy, A'Sharad, is getting more exposure especially after AOTC. San Diego is creeping up and I'm still saving my pennies to go! I don't realy want to buy anything just enjoy the atmosphere and meet and greet the guests and pros!

25. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    It's unfair, I live at the other side of the globe and can't really get to San Diego...stupid parents, still don't admit they brought me up in the wrong corner of the world...