main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official K. W. Jeter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    K. W. Jeter is author of 'The Bounty Huner Wars' trilogy.

Jedi Council Forums Username:

Discuss K. W. Jeter's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, K. W. Jeter might drop by from time to time!

2. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Must...hold....back......bashing.......

Suffice it to say that Jeter is not my favorite Star Wars author. In fact, he's my least favorite Star Wars author. In fact, he's probably my least favorite author.

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Didn't mind BHW #1 or 3. His DS9 books were awful. His Alien Nation books were the best of the bunch, which doesn't say much for the others. I haven't read his Blade Runner books but they got VERY mixed reviews. I haven't read NOIR or any other original fiction he may have.

4. DarthBane81

DarthBane81 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    I liked the BHW, but that´s just me. :)

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I found the Bounty Hunter Wars to be too talky. Not enough action and too much talk for a series about Bounty Hunters.

The action sequences weren't bad though, when they did come. Like the shootout with the Shell Hutts, the fight with the renegade stormtrooper and Fett facing off Xixor.

I liked the scenes with Vader and Palpatine and the way we went from past to present. The hunt sabateour was an interesting character and I liked Kuat of Kuat's plot and the political machinations(though I hate the name).

A lot of potential there, but the style just shot itself in the foot.

6. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    My biggest problem with the BHW was the raising of Fett to near omniscience while lowering all the other bounty hunters to bumbling idiots. Still most of the good points that were pointed out by Rogue1.5 I agree with.

7. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    I share rogue and a halfs' P.O.V in the goods of the BHW.

It is however true that the "iknewthat" from Fetts' part was annoying at times.

the best chapters were when Leela was trying to get the better of him .. you sometimes felt that Boba was getting clueless.

The fact that Dengar was almost always at a loss however was unnerving. he was called on the hunt for Han Solo by Darth Vader .. he guy had to be better than the way he was portrayed.

I reckon that the sheer invincibility of Fett was done so on purpose since the bounty hunter survived the sarlacc. Something like "he had been in deaths' womb & survived - thus he was now unkillable". But to push it from "unkillable" to "invincible" that was a bit too much IMHO.

BUT the BHW will always have a special place in my heart and bookshelf since it was my first steps into the GFFAs' EU ;)

8. Thrawn666

Thrawn666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2001
    too much talk from fett, things he said in those novels (which were quite boring) he would never have said. not my boba no no.

9. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Despite the obvious flaws of this trilogy, I enjoyed them to various degrees, and feel that Jeter's portrayal of Fett is only second to the Holiday Special and "The Last One Standing."

10. HerkMondo

HerkMondo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    I liked it, Boba's characterization was great, the action sequences were good, but too far between

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I am on my umpteenth reread of BHW -
    I enjoy KW Jeter's characterization
    of Boba Fett.
    (I am a major Fett fan and I think it is mostly due to his presence in the EU
    rather than his few scenes in the films).
    I obtained NOIR recently but have yet to start it. Looks pretty good tho.

12. loyal_hunter

loyal_hunter Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2002
    I agree with the last post. Fett has been made more popular because of his roles in EU. I think KW did a fine job writing about him in the BHW. I read the books out of order (the 2nd book 1st, the 1st book 2nd and the 3rd last) because I was having trouble finding the first one, but they were still good.

13. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy. I loved how we see Boba Fett (who is one of the top 3 most loved characters in SW) have some depth to character.
    How he is not just some hard*ss, not good, rotten scoundrel.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, after my umpteenth + 1 reread of the BHW trilogy,
    I read KW's "NOIR".
    I thought this was pretty good. I saw
    more than a bit of our man Fett in McNihil,
    the main character. I like KW's style and
    might have to hunt out some of his other fiction.
    I wouldn't mind seeing KW do another
    Boba Fett novel if the opportunity arose.

NOTE - if you read "NOIR", under no
    circumstances should you be eating
    while reading the chapter entitled
    'Brain Cells Imploding into Some Territory
    of Opiated Bliss or Guns, Women, and Angst'
    (Chapter 10 in my copy).
    It was bad enough
    just while drinking my poison of choice.
    You have been warned...

15. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I liked the plot about Neesa, and who she was.

But the whole barve barve barve and the Guild plot sucked, along with that giant spider thingy.

16. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    Star Trek fans hate K.W. too! :p Deep Space Nine: Warped doesn't deserve to exist, much less be in hardcover.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I found KW's DS9 novel 'Bloodletter' recently and have just about finished it. I like it a lot. I will have to reread 'Warped' (I have it somewhere) but I can say that not all Trek fans dislike KW.
    And I still maintain that of all the Star Wars books, the Bounty Hunter trilogy are my top 3. (And there aren't too many of the novels that I haven't read). KW's depiction of Boba Fett has a lot to do with the fact that Boba is my favorite Star Wars character.
    I wouldn't mind seeing KW do a pre-AOTC Jango novel. Does anyone know if he has
    has anything new coming out?

18. Tracer_Bullet

Tracer_Bullet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    The Bounty Hunter Wars is an interesting trilogy. Overall, I think the books are pretty good, and I really love Jeter's writing style. The big thing is that the plot line is perhaps overly complicated. There were times where I become lost and didn't have a clue as to what was going on.

19. sithlord57

sithlord57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I am mixed on this series. The overall story was great. I enjoyed all the conspiracies. I also liked the mental chess game played by Vader and Xizor in front of the Emperor. It explored more than what was shown in Shadows of the Empire. However, this series shouldn't have been three books long. One big novel ( ala Star by Star) or two books at the most would have been better. It seemed repetitive after awhile when it came to their toughts. It seemed like every couple of chapters we are reminded of Dengar and his fiancee and that Neelah couldn't remember but small parts of her life. And who can forget ( or forgive) the amount of times the word Barve was used. That was almost as annoying of hearing the word Kuat over and over again. I only read the books b/c it was Boba Fett and I think once will be enough for me.

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The only thing stopping me from getting the trilogy is the quantity feedback I've gotten on it, not enough positive.

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The Bounty Hunter Wars books are not the best EU, and that's a shame, because Jeter is a fine author who's written some really good stuff.

22. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The excerpts you get on Amazon are the only thing I've read. I was considering getting the trilogy . . . but might get Anderson's Tales anthologies instead. Too many reviewers didn't like The Bounty Hunters Trilogy to reassure me it'll be a good read.

23. Zaina_Rey

Zaina_Rey Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2003
    I found that his dialogue was (At least for Boba Fett) in character. However, I think he greatly downplayed Dengar's skill. His plots were good, and I did like Neelah's part in the books. Fett did go a bit soft in the end of Hard Merchandise, giving up an entire Star Destroyer for Neelah's silence. After all, from a bounty hunter's point of view, a blaster bolt would have been much cheaper. Otherwise, a good series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.