main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Kathy Tyers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Kathy Tyers has written two Star Wars novels - 'The Truce at Bakura', and the second New Jedi Order hardback novel 'Vector Prime'. Kathy has contributed to the Star Wars RPG with the 'Truce at Bakura Sourcebook' from West End Games, and has written many Star Wars short stories. She is also well known for her Firebird series of original novels.

Jedi Council Forums Username: Shmi52

Discuss Kathy's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, Kathy might drop by from time to time!

2. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Well, I guess I'll be the first to post in here. :) The Truce at Bakura is my favorite so far (I'm just about to begin the Jedi Academy trilogy) very good characterization of Luke. I also like Dev Sibwarra (especially) and Gaeriel Captison a lot.

3. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    I loved Kathy's Balance Point as well.

She has a natural panache for Star Wars which consistently excites and engages readers.

Even though many dislike Jacen's characterization in Balance Point, I loved it. I disagreed with this actions yet understood his motivations behind those actions. I found myself screaming at Jacen's apparent cowardice and reservations but also loving every minute of it. Why? Because I was thoroughly engaged with his character.

4. RB-wan

RB-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2000
    Gatherer meant to say "Balance Point", not "Vector Prime". <g>

Ms Tyers has also written some fabulous shorts, including a story arc revolving around Tinian I'att, Daye Azur-Jamin and Chenlambec. ( Which I would love to see more of *hint hint* IF you can find the time, Kathy <g> )

Bri

5. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I've enjoyed all of her SW work. She does a good job with all the characters. I wish she had been given the job of doing Rebirth as well.

6. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    I was disappointed with Truce at Bakura.It isn't the worst of the SW books but certainly wasn't the best.

7. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Actually, I really enjoyed "Truce at Bakura." None books focused around Luke in that paticular manner.

I was also very pleased with, "Balance Point." The romance between Leia and Han was a little bit gritty, but it was a great book all and all. (And might I note, she did a better job with Jaina than did Cunningham)

8. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
  9. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    I love Kathy Tyers, so for those of you who would like to read her stuff:

SW Novels:
    The Truce at Bakura
    Balance Point

SW short stories:
    so many I can't think of them all...

Other novels:
    Firebird
    Fusion Fire
    Crown of Fire
    (a wonderful trilogy about a woman, Firebird Angelo- I throroughly enjoyed it)
    Shivering World
    (yes, RB-wan...Kathy DOES need to write a sequel to that one ;) )
    Crystal Witness
    One Mind's Eye

and currently, Kathy is working on a new novel, Sun Dust. Can't wait until it comes out! :D

*Also, Kathy Tyers has a yahoogroup dedicated to her and all her books. It is lady_firebird, and to join just go to yahoogroups and type that in (I'll try to find a link for it). Kathy always talks to the people on it (when she's not super busy on Sun Dust) and would love your comments.

10. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    What is the Firebird series about?

11. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    more Kathy updates:

Kathy's website is: www.kathytyers.com

Short stories:
    "Rock Gig"
    "Rebel Bass"
    "Tinian on Trial"
    "We Don?t Do Weddings: The Band?s Tale"
    "To Fight Another Day"
    "A Time to Dance, A Time to Mourn: Oola?s Tale"
    "Only Droids Serve the Maker"
    "The Prize Pelt: Bossk?s Tale"

Gatherer: summary of first Firebird book:
    Born an expendable child of the royal family of Netaia, honorable suicide is the highest thing she could ever hope to attain. Sent to lead an assault on the planet of Veroh, part of the hated Federacy, her death was hoped for, expected, but not to be. Fate places her in the hands of the enemy, and with her own people seeking her demise, Firebird must choose between two worlds before she can carve her new destiny.

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I thought The Truce at Bakura was a horrid steaming pile of Bantha poo doo... I can only hope that Balance Point is better...

:D

-Tim, who is sharing how he REALLY feels

13. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I liked BP alot, I think Kathy did a wonderful job with all the characters, especially Jacen.
    I've also enjoyed the firebird trilogy.

I only have koudo's to ms. Tyers.

14. Hoya94

Hoya94 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 12, 2001
    The Firebird trilogy is great! I highly recommend it to all who liked Kathy's Star Wars book. If you join her Yahoo email list she'll talk to you and you can buy some of her out of print books and have her sign them. I bought Crystal Witness and One Mind's Eye and she autographed them for me with a special message. Very cool!

Hoya

15. excalibur2358

excalibur2358 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2000
    Kathy rocks!

I was fortunate enough to speak with her in the aforementioned thread, and she is a very kind person! I thoroughly enjoyed Balance Point and looking back, I thought Truce at Bakura was decent as well! (Don't forget it was early on in the creation of new SW novels).

I admire Kathy's ability and hope she makes an appearance in her new thread here! excal

16. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Kathy Tyers rocks!!!!!

The Truce At Bakura was one of the really good SW books. It deals with Leia's heritage really well and there is a different type of villian not some super weapon or super genius, just a warlike race which brings some plausibility to the novel which makes it a good read

17. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    "Balance Point" would sit better with me if it had actually been about Han and Leia's reunion instead of being saturated with syrupy Luke/Mara love scenes and hadn't contained a truly revolting scene where Mara, still improbably drop-dead gorgeous at 46, makes her nephew Anakin drool.

I also think the scene where Mara finds out her baby is a boy and she and Luke get all mushy could've been devoted to Han going back to check on his bleeding, tortured wife and perhaps them bonding and working through their problems.

Of course, being a Han/Leia fan and NOT being a Mara fan, I'm tired of my couple suffering and getting no time together while Mara is fawned over and gets gobs of mushy love scenes.

18. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    hadn't contained a truly revolting scene where Mara, still improbably drop-dead gorgeous at 46,

You must remember that Leia is the same age as Mara, +/- 2 years, and is also apparently still beautiful. Apparently the Force does make you age slower...

19. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Is there a scene in any of the books where it goes on about Leia's Barbie-doll figure and some teenage boy who's related to her by marriage "drools on the carpet" over her?

20. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Not in that context, but in Star by Star she's wearing very revealing clothes, is described as still beautiful, and is clearly seen as a sexual object by those around her who don't know her.

21. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Good. It's nice to see someone other than that stupid cow Mara get fawned over for her beauty. And I imagine that only happened because Leia fans finally got fed up with how she was tortured, literally, while Mara's beauty was extolled and she got constant love scenes with her lapdog...er, husband.

22. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    How come male SW fans never have these complaints? ;)

23. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Kathy Tyres is my favorite SW author. Truca at Bakura wasn't the most exciting, but I'm glad she decided to write this immediately-after-RotJ book instead of someone else. If she was like everyone else and tried to think up some giant new threat or weapon, it would've sucked.

I really like how she writes her characters. I hope she returns to SW soon.

24. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Oh yeah, she's also fun to do madlibs with.

25. SeventhMoon

SeventhMoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Truce of Bakura is one of my favourite SW books. I'd never seen Luke written that way before and never saw him written that way again, unfortunately. Han and Leia's romance was a bit eh, but Leia's coming to grips with her heritage is great. Ms Tyers has style, and I love it. A lot.

Note : BP has yet to arrive on my door so I can't comment on that. It should be in a few days. I'm most eager. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.