main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Knight Errant Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jan 21, 2011.

1. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    My local Borders still doesn't have and it's been a week since it's release date. My Borders is usually so good about having new Star Wars novels on the release date.

2. Darth_Monopoly

Darth_Monopoly Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    Wow. Wow is all I can say. I loved this book. I finally had the time to read it yesterday, and once I got going, I just couldn't stop. I loved every bit of it. This novel has just knocked Mindor off of the throne of best Star Wars book, and I'd say it beat it by quite a bit.

I do have one question for JJM, should he still be reading. On page 214, Quillan is referred to as sandy-haired, and then on 238 he is referred to as having a bald head. I was wondering which of these in fact is true (or are they both true?).

And now I can't wait for a sequel (and for more of the comics!).

3. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    I think 'make a difference' is more appropriate than 'do good' when describing Kerra. If she just did "good" she'd have made some other choices throughout the book. She's constantly straddling a line towards a long term goal to make a difference. The trouble I see for her is that she may lose sight of the kriffing line.

The book started a little slow. Too much describing this thing and detailing that thing and lots of characters to absorb and way too many scene breaks, some with info that is unnecessary to move the story forward. By a third of the way through the book picks up and some of the characters come to life, but that's too far into the book in my opinion.

Also some of the plot points (for instance how the Bothan spy escapes) are repeated from one character's POV to a next and then again. I'm sure JJM will write more books, I hope he gains more confidence in the reader to pick those things up the first time.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I haven't yet grabbed the book, cause I am fearful it might not have many of the trappings that I like from JJM's other works (ie, Republic politics, the Navy, fleet action). Is there any of this kinda stuff in there?

For those of you that know me best, is this the kinda book I might like?

--Adm. Nick

5. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Rats -- that changed between drafts, and I thought I'd caught all those. It is light in color, but buzz-cut -- the caretaker droids were basically grooming him every single day.

(In the meantime, you have the first continuity error. Collect them all -- but hopefully it's just a limited edition!)

Nick, this book focuses more on the ground-pounders in Sith space, but there is some detail in there on naval and Republic history you should like.

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks for the heads up, John. I still have to catch up a bit on the comics, but I think I will run out at lunch and grab the novel. I have avoided spoilers thus far, so I am excited to see what happens!

Assuming that there are additional Knight Errant novels or comics, is there a chance we will get to spend some time in Republic Space? I am very interested to see the state of the Republic in this era, especially considering that they are in a sort of "bunker" mentality.

--Adm. Nick

7. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I finished the book last night. And I thought the Solo-Skywalker family, from Anakin Skywalker to Cade, had it's fill of twists. But the family you presented... I'm still shaking my head at the revelation.

Like I said in the Aflame comic thread about Daiman - "I know Corellians can be egotistical, but Daiman's gone beyond that. You can't even apply the word 'ego' to Daiman." Here we have a Sith Lord who's a god in his own mind, yet he headed another's call. I wonderd who could possibly have that kind of influence on him.

If Kerra tries to make sense of the dynamics of this family, she'd be risking insanity.

Considering how fragmented this area of the galaxy is, I have to wonder how Darth Bane would have dealt with it. We've seen how he dealt with the ARLF in Path of Two.

Should Kerra Holt succeed in ending the feuding and getting this sector united and in the Republic's hands, after everything she would have gone through to do that, she shouldn't deserve the title Jedi Master. She should receive an early retirement from the Jedi.

JJM, maybe you should continue making those maps for the Atlas. You've shown us the Odionate, Daimanite, Bactrate, and Chagras Remnant. Maybe you should make another one showing them along with the territory of the Dyarchy and the Arkadianate, as well as the other factions.

8. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    I have such a map, but we'd need an official venue to produce it for. And we'd want to wait a while anyway, because the Before and After novel maps are very different.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well even though the specific territories are not mapped out the atlas supplement does include every planet featured in the novel plus more, except perhaps Vilia's retreat world(s). So we know at least where Arkadia and the Dyarchy's capital words are. But yes it would be interesting to see what other Sith territories are in this sector of space and which belong to which of Vilia's grandkids.

10. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000

That might be an excellent idea. No doubt the comics are going to continue. When this comes to an end, you can post a series of maps detailing the progression of the territories in the sector.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There are a couple naval references, mostly coming from Brigadier Jarrow Rusher, the commander of a mercenary artillery brigade and a military history buff. He's the second-biggest character behind Kerra, so there's a lot of military stuff; it's just that most of it isn't naval. I think you'll like it, even if it doesn't play directly to your biggest interests.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks Hav. This Brigadier Rusher sounds kinda fun. A mercenary artillerist who loves history? Sold! :D

--Adm. Nick

13. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Managed to order an import from the US at low cost off Amazon (UK based here), should be here by the 10th, can't wait. Hearing great things about this book has only further heightened my anticipation of it, havn't looked forward to a Star Wars book like this in quite a while - and I quite enjoy FotJ!

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, we still don't see much of the Republic, but Rusher makes quite a few references to various parts of KotOR military historical events and figures, so as a fan of the KotOR comic, I loved the book (not to mention the excellent story, characters, etc., the references are just another part of what made this book so awesome). You should enjoy it immensely either way.

15. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    It should be pretty clear that Rusher is a lot more interested in the Republic than in where he lives, and that when she lived in the Republic, Kerra was probably more interested in Sith space.

BTW, we get into a bit more about the comics and novel in the new Jedi Journals: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Jedi_Journals_February_2011_136415.asp

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i am only about half way through the book and i can start to see that. anyway very good book JJM. hope you keep writing

17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Say John... is Lord Odion by any chance inspired by Lord Dread from Captain Power? ;) :p

18. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    Does anyone know how you pronounce Odion?

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nick,

It isn't a Fleet Junkie book but there's an awful lot of detail about warfare and I really don't think you could fail to like Rusher, easily one of the best new characters in SW! He's kind of to KE what Stasi is to Legacy ie. damn cool.

20. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000

I can see a bit of Stazi and even Thrawn in Rusher, but I'm not certain I can put him in the same category or categories that those two occupy.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd agree Rusher isn't the same in character terms but he is, like Stasi or Thrawn, a very good reason to read the book, especially given Nick's EU interests. What he has in common with them is as a point of attraction/interest.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ben, between what you, Hav, and JJM have said, I am sold on this book. I was going to grab it a day ago, but I got sidetracked. But I am definately getting the novel this weekend! :D

--Adm. Nick

23. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    I pronounce it OH-dee-on, to rhyme with Rodian. (That's because the root is "odious," rather than "Orion".) But your mileage may vary.

I will do a pronunciation suggestion blog post one of these days.

24. wookieesniper

wookieesniper Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2010
    While we're on pronunciations, is it Die-min or Day-min?

25. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Actually, I found this a bit of a problem until we got to Arkadia's realm but it wasn't the scene breaks or detail that caused me frustration. It was the lack of down time for the characters in those scene breaks. ( you might mean something else by scene breaks) It was mentioned in the review thread that KE reads like a comic book. I agree and disagree with this. The only problem with KE as I see it is that the novel relentless for at least 200 pages. It wasn't until Syned that anyone came into focus and I truly started liking Rusher and Kerra. Course once I did I was mesmerized by the revelations and the rest of the unfolding story. It's almost like this could have been a duology.