main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Kyle Katarn and Dark Forces Discussion Thread ( Spoilers when appropriate )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Sep 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, it could be the Byss in the Byss-Abyss system. That one wasn't blown up and is still around.

...or it could be a level that takes place in the byss debris field.

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    There were two planet's named Byss?

3. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes.

You know I'm pretty pleased that the new game is only Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, instead of Jedi Knight III.

It means they could actually decide to go back and make a Jedi Knight III with kyle katarn as playable hero.

A similar thing was done for Star Wars: Obi-Wan. It was originally known as Dark Forces III, or Jedi Knight II, but with Obi-Wan as the hero, but they decided to not make it a Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game.

4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Just got the game, here are some highlights.

The Corelia mission kicks ass. It's got the whole Under Seige II vibe, and that's cool. Kyle dogfights Mercenary ships above you while you take on soldiers and cultists, all while screaming along at insane speeds.

There's one mission where you don't fight ANYONE, and yet it kicks major ass. :D Think creatures from Dune... ;)

Lots of little EU references. Luke sends Corran Horn to do some cult investigating. The mission on Byss isn't on the planet, but rather Imperial outposts in the Byss system.

Other cool moments involve the Kyle Jaden relationship. Like Kyle telling him stories about him and Jan, and Kyle gloating on one mission that he FINALLY gets to stay in the Raven's Claw and someone else has to do the dirty work. :D Luke goes off to Dagobah to kick some ass because the cultists discover that's where Luke went to get trained from Echo base's computers(they're sucking up the force from everywhere).

Alora, the new villianess is a little *****, even worse than Tavion.

Tavion is back, you can see her from a distance in the very first level. You hear her talk too. :D

5. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Well, remember towards the end of IJ Corran told Luke if he ever needed any help, give him a call. Safe to say Luke did that, so Corran's there as a former student and friend, rather than an instructor.

I always pictured Corran participating in the battle against the Doomgiver in JO, taking out the TIEs and assault pods. Once the ship joined the Executor, he landed and joined the other Jedi while the rest of the Rogues provided air support.

As for the new villaness, you're right about her. You can tell she learned well from her master, and I'm not just talking about her Force and lightsaber skills.

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Ahoy. ( [face_plain] )

This game is better than Jedi Outcast in many many ways. Lot of EU stuff, cool story. LA should stop with those "Force sucking" plots, though. It gets old and it's rather silly, IMO. But it led to cool things, so I won't complain much.

Oh, and another thing I didn't like... When you choose the dark path you suddenly turn totally evil, despite all your previous characterization. (Plus the game is much harder than on the light side, but that's understandable... :p )

7. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    SPOILERS

Hmmm... Do we have other examples about personal stealth camo ? Almost all officers are wearing them in JA.

And how come this technology even exist - and why is it used in the game ? I didn't see any explanation for that.

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Storm Commandos wear stealth armor. Black armor that makes em invisible to all sensors.

They also have audio cloaks. Makes them virtually soundless.

9. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I'm on the third tier - the one after Vjun. I hear Luke mention Corran, Tionne, and Streen while addressing the class, yet we don't get a chance to see them. Aw, c'mon LucasArts. Maybe you should set up a patchthat will allow us to see what Streen and Tionne look like.

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    There's the mimetic suits from COD. They change to match their surroundings, making the wearers nearly invisible.

TC

11. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    The army is devloping technology like that.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well here's a new spoiler(yes there is a reason why this thread is marked with a spoiler warning at the top, ;)), this time from TUF;

"Sekot agrees to make ships for some of the Jedi, including Kyp Durron, Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn"

13. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    There's the mimetic suits from COD. They change to match their surroundings, making the wearers nearly invisible.

I dunno. I thoght they were cloaks like the shadow troopers had
    They made the same noises. Dun see why a mimetic suit would do that. Nothing wrong with a cloak. It just means that the technology has been developed.

Also, the Byss level takes place on a dreadnaught near the remains of Byss. Cool level.

14. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Ready?

Kyle's first NJO line?

"Has his identity been verified?"

There :)

15. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    So now that we have Katarns basic where abouts do you think that we'll have a new game with him? I mean maybe...
    TUF spoilers

After a flight sequence or a cut scene with his Sekotian ship he could go to courescant and wail maximum tail!!!

16. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    *chuckles* T'is a line. Maybe one line, but I like it :p To whom is he referring actually?

Also, just curious, now it seems that Kyle Katarn has trained Jaden Korr from padawan to Jedi Knight(wether Jaden goes light or dark, regardless), does this mean that we can count Kyle Katarn amongst the few Jedi Masters that the New Jedi Order has?

17. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Personally, I think I'd love to see a new JA-style game, set after TUF.

Hum... TUF Spoilers ? :

Think about it :

The new academy on Ossus

Perfect opportunities for both "friendly" and "unfriendly" Vong interaction

Probably splinter groups in the Galactic Federation

Fighting alongside the Imperial "might" for once

Lots of EU character interaction...

I can keep dreaming, can't I ? ;)

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    When they were talking about sending a mission to make contac with the Prophet in TUF, I was thinking. . .NJO Katarn mission!

It seems that as I progressed in the book, that was no longer a possibility. :(

19. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    do any of you play jk2 or jedi academy online or do you relegate yourselves to single player?

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    up

"do any of you play jk2 or jedi academy online or do you relegate yourselves to single player?"

Dicussion of gaming aspects of Dark Forces is a bit off-topic for the main purpose of this thread... So please don't bring it up, lest someone feels like attempting to lock this thread again (older version was locked partially for that reason)...

21. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Someone mentioned in the Finally!!!! (TUF Spoilers) thread that Kyle kills a few skips and then goes on to sound like their saying compared to all the stormies his killed that it's sad his only NJO contribution was a few skips. But I find myself asking if that is his only contribution. Is it specifically said that that's all he's done during the Vong War is is that all we get to see him doing during the Vong War?

Personally, Kyle's not one to sit on the sidelines and watch as others do all the work. He's going to be more like Luke and get actively involved. Now many folks would tell me that Luke wasn't really all that actively involved during the NJO, that he satby and let others do most of the work fighting the Vong. Though it seems that arguement revolves around Luke not fighting as much as people would like, therefore he wasn't really involved. And while I like seeing Luke fight, it was also nice to see him be a leader. And leaders delegate to others, they don't do all the work themselves.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It doesn't say anything at all about what he's been up to. In fact, his one other NJO moment, an offhand reference in Force Heretic, says he's busy with some mission or something. So there's oodles of room to do a NJO JK game.

On a related note, anyone else notice the absence of "Jaden Korr" in the big Jedi list at the end? It's not surprising considering how long ago the book was written, and I suppose it's plenty acceptable that he/she just couldn't make it to the meeting, but considering how delightfully well-researched and thorough that part is, I think I'd prefer it if Jaden were killed off somewhere prior to TUF, just to preserve the scene's sanctity. Maybe that could be the setup for the next game? Jaden is killed by some Supreme Commander or whomever (offscreen, so as to preserve the ambiguousness of his/her gender and species), and Kyle is spurred into action against the Vong.

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    That should be the game entitled, Dark Forces III, or Jedi Knight III(considering Raven's pentient for making kind of side stories in an universe, and then going back to earlier games titles, but with using the next previously unused numeral).

Heretic, Hexen, Heretic II, Hexen II, etc, etc.

24. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    There's a big Jedi List at the end of the Unifying Force? Interesting... does Rosh Penin get mentioned?

And if you folks don't mind, I'd like to repeat my question : Now we know that Kyle Katarn has trained a student(Jaden Korr) to Jedi Knight(regardless of wether he/she goes to the Dark Side), can we count Kyle Katarn as an official Jedi Master in the New Jedi Order?

25. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    Jaden is killed by some Supreme Commander or whomever (offscreen, so as to preserve the ambiguousness of his/her gender and species),

Or, they choose a "default" one, but let you load in your JA save file (if you have one) so you can see your old guy die. :D

That should be the game entitled, Dark Forces III, or Jedi Knight III

Really, it should be Dark Forces IV. LucasArts just thought that the Jedi Knight brand name was better recognized, or some such, so JO wasn't DF3. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.