main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Kyle Katarn and Dark Forces Discussion Thread ( Spoilers when appropriate )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Sep 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    SPOILERS

Kyle finally got a mention?! WORD!

JMA

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Kyle finally got a mention?! WORD!"

You didn't read Force Heretic trilogy? He got mentioned in those as well.

So this makes it the second time he has been mentioned in a novel, outside of his own novellas.

3. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    It's not much, (by no means enough) but it's a start. :)

4. Jet-Eye-Blah

Jet-Eye-Blah Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Rosh Penin is died, Jaden killed his sorry ass in Taspir ;).

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    And if you folks don't mind, I'd like to repeat my question : Now we know that Kyle Katarn has trained a student(Jaden Korr) to Jedi Knight(regardless of wether he/she goes to the Dark Side), can we count Kyle Katarn as an official Jedi Master in the New Jedi Order?

That's questionable. Luke's Jedi Order does things differently than the Prequel era Jedi Order did them. Kyle could have been a Jedi Master before training a student, something we know was possible but apparently rare in the Prequel era order. From the sounds of things in the Dark Tide duology, Corran should have been a Master but he turned the title down. Which suggests that in Luke's order it's possible for folks to turn down the title of Master. Unless we actually see him refered to as Master, it's still a question.

6. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Thanks for the insight, Knight1192. Just what I liked to hear.

Now, seeing as how this thread is about Kyle Katarn, I'd like to discuss a decision he made. Namely sparing Tavion's life and letting her go free on Cloud City. In your opinion, did he do the right thing here or not?

(the following paragraphs describe Tavion's actions throughout Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. If you don't want to read it all, then head towards the paragraph starting with 'Why did I give this detailed background/essay on her?' near the end of this post)

First a bit of background information on Tavion : The NRI report on 31th of January 2002 speaks of a force-wielding female criminal near Lenico. I think that we can safely assume that this is Tavion. Presumably, she used her powers for several criminal gains but might've been nothing more than a thief. That is, until she met the Dark Jedi Desann. Becoming his lieutenant, Tavion must've enjoyed quite a lot of power for herself and probably learned a lot from the Jedi Outcast. Everything seemed to be going according to plan for Desann and Tavion until she faced off with a Kyle Katarn whom recently reacquired his Force Powers with the Valley of the Jedi and probably had revenge on his mind.

Kyle and Tavion were almost evenly matched, but in the end, she was finally beaten by Katarn. When she was on his knees, Kyle summoned up the Dark Side, grabbing Tavion in choke hold and held her over the cloud of Bespin. Pleading for her life, Tavion revealed that Kyle's partner, Jan Ors(whom was the very subject of Kyle's revenge), was still alive and told him where he could find her. When Kyle inquired why he should believe her, she uttered a single line.

"Because I am not brave enough to die..."

The following choice that Kyle made would have major and dire consequences for the galaxy and could've actually plunged it into total darkness, even more darkness that the Yuuzhan Vong invasion brought.

In an act of compassion, Kyle brought her back on a safe ledge. Telling her to get out of his sight(judging from his voice, I always felt that it was against Kyle's better judgement that he let her go), she quickly retreated and wasn't seen again in the rest of Kyle's campaign against the forces of Desann. Katarn went on to travel to the Lenico Belt, save Jan Ors, and play an important part in Desann's attack on Yavin IV, facing the Dark Jedi in a climatic battle in a Yavin temple and effectively killed him. When it came to Tavion, she was presumably gone and would never play a part in the Galaxy's history again.

Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Tavion went on to try and get what she could from the Imperial Remnant. She gathered what was left of Desann's Reborn and probably hooked up with several mercenary contacts from her past experience as a criminal. As the New Republic was slowly growing, gathering and teaching Jedi Knights to protect the government, Tavion was also preparing for her attack. She corrupted Alora to the Dark Side, making the twi'lek her personal apprentice, and would steal a very old Sith Scepter from a collector on Commenor. Somehow, Tavion must have learned of Marka Ragnos and would become obsessed with this powerful Sith Lord. Using the scepter, she managed to store Force Energy into it and empowered other beings with the power of the Force, essentially adding Dark Jedi to her ranks. In essence, she created a Dark Side cult named 'The Disciples of Ragnos'.

With a new army of Dark Jedi and using her old ties with the Imperial Remnant, Tavion was ready for her conquest of the New Republic and the Jedi that had shamed her. The first notable appearance of the cult was on Yavin IV as she was stealing scraps of the Force near an old Jedi Temple. By shooting down a transport carrying new Jedi students(including Jaden Korr and Rosh Penin), she effectively created a diversion that would allow Alora to acquire a copy of Skywalker's records, containing information to various locations with a strong connect

7. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    http://boards.theforce.net/Literature/b10003/14955671/?1

Check out that thread if you want to see Kyle Katarn featured in a short story in the SW Insider. Sign you name and give reasons if possible.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    [ Now we get back to my original question : Did Kyle make the right decision by sparing Tavion's life on Cloud City, even though that act caused more destruction? Or should he have dropped her right there, effectively stopping her attacks from ever happening? ]

You assume there is a right decision. Had Luke killed Darth Vader he would be executing a mass war criminal yet he would taint his soul.

There is no such thing as a right decision even in Star Wars, Kyle chose to show mercy to an enemy undeserving of it.

It would only be "right" if she'd not done it. Kyle's not omniscient and she might have gone on to become a great Jedi like Kyp.

We can't judge him by the effects of his decision, only his motives for doing so.

BTW I just posted in the last part of the "Skywalker thread" an examination of Kyle Kataarn vs. Luke and their falls to the Dark Side

It ressurects the theory too he and Mara were lovers along with Kir Kanos being his clone

9. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Wait, so the "official" ending is of Jaden staying Light? Drat, that had such good potential for JK3

10. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I really wish they would retitle Jedi Outcast to be Dark Forces 3: Jedi Outcast. That way we have a trilogy of Kyle games. Jedi Academy was alright but I hope the next one they make they have Kyle as the central character again and he saves that damn beard. If not at least return to the live actors for the cut scenes. The cut scenes in Jedi Outcast scared me, the faces I mean. Speaking of which, does anyone know if a new game has been announced yet or is it to soon?

11. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Cou,ld someone post a brief dexcription, inc. terrain and climate and notable seeltments, for all the new JA worlds:

Blenjeel
    Dosuun
    Kril 'Dor
    Zonju V
    Nar Kreeta
    Yalara
    Taspir III

Are they all in the Outer Rim?

12. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    What book was Kyle in?

13. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Kyle Katarn is the main character in the Dark Forces games and Jedi Knight games for the PC. There are three novels out about him but really only about the Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight games and what happen before then.

Outside of that he isn't in any of the novels other then his name being mentioned but that is extremely rare. He has two lines in the Unifying Force novel but that's it.

Which is sad since the novels never touch on his relationships with the other characters, especially since they are strong friendships but its as if he doesn't exist at times in the novels. No one ever mentions or thinks about him.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    So there is an official Kyle Katarn continuity story coming up in Tales #21. Whee.

15. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Is it ever explained why Jerec murdered Morgan Katarn?

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Because he was the leader of sulon rebels. The empire doesn't like the rebels.

17. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Figure I'll leap over here.

To answer the comment in the other thread, Val: Yes, it can be considered a continuation of his "away" time from Remmant, but it happens after Remnant.

18. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    I wonder what Jan was doing at the time of JKA. And it appears now they're not married in Tales 21. Something definately happened. I'm going with a Mara affair. :p

And Nathan do you have any idea how much time passes in JKA from the first mission to the last one?

We have a new Jedi to add to Luke's order, Broden Kel Verdox. He helped a primative people called the Yalara hide themselves from the galaxy. Someone shut down the cloaking feild and Jaden is sent in to deal with the situation.

Is this Broden Kel Verdox really from Luke's order? I had the impression he was an Old Republic jedi who was long dead. I loved the Noghri.

And I'm surprised no one has brought up Corran Horn had a padawan, called Raltharan.

19. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    I Believe he was from the KOTOR era.

20. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Funny that this thread has 46 pages but has been barely active the last 1.5 years. You'd think it would change with the Tales story.

And does anyone know if Lucasarts has any plans for a new Jedi Knight game? There were 4 years between MOTS and JO, I can't imagine waiting until 2007 for another game.

21. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Didn't LucasArts say recently that they weren't planning on any more?

(Honest curiosity, since I have no idea. I could've sworn I heard that somewhere online, though.)

And, to answer the earlier question, no, I don't know exactly how much time passed from the start to the end of Jedi Academy. Personally, I'd rather not know the time that passed if they'd be willing to just fill us in on what species and gender Jaden was. ;)

22. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    If they aren't planning anymore Jedi Knight games (but I'm sure they'll change their minds sometime) then all our hopes are now focused on you Nathan. [face_mischief]

23. Havet_Storm

May 19, 2004
    It'd be a pity if the series (of games) ends with JO.
    It's not exactly conclusive is it?

24. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Actually, the series ends with JA. Not that that's any more conclusive, but y'know...

-Paul

25. Havet_Storm

May 19, 2004
    Ah, of course it does.
    That's what I meant all along you know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.