main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Official LACWAC Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, May 28, 2011.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Fascinating that means we could possibly get another show within 2 years.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Thanks to Rogue One we know the Ghost was there at the Battle of Scarif, but which members of the Ghost crew were there at that pivotal conflict? Again, thanks to Rogue One we know that Chopper and Hera were on Yavin IV when the decision was made to go to battle, so there's a possibility that at least those 2 went to Scarif.

Thoughts, guys?

4. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Merged with our Star Wars discussion thread since this goes into Rogue One territory.

darth_mccartney likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just your annual reminder that all spoilers for the film will go in this thread only, and they MUST be tagged. Please and thank you.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    so, that ending bit... not unprecedented! Yoda did it in Rebels first! Reminder:

cwustudent and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So did Luke (Legends, but still)-
    [​IMG]

MrDarth0 likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Regarding the revelation on Rey in TLJ

I know a few people in the other forums have suggested that either it's just a ruse and that she still does have some kind of Skywalker blood in her (I think between you and me some people are ready to jump off a bridge otherwise); but if what was revealed about how her parents were rather unimportant "junk traders" is true, isn't it possible that the ST might be carrying on something that had only previously been shown in TCW and Rebels, the Force-sensitive children? It would certainly explain the little boy in the end. [\spoiler]

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Good movie. Far from being flawless or to reinvent the wheel but not the worst thing ever. Though, judging by the reactions, re-watching it is recommended I will say.
    I loved everything about the Force, the unexpected mention of "Darth Sidious" and them discussing the Jedi order of the prequels. Luke's death was immensely poetic to me especially with the twin suns which is a mirror to ANH. Visuals were on par with RO to me. I was a little scared about Luke's actions in the flashback but then I realized Luke looking demented was from Kylo's POV and the reality was him just having a fleeting moment of weakness but then just like in ROTJ he stops just before going to the darkside but it was too late because Kylo woke up, the difference is that in the last flashback he's not planing to kill him.I don't blame Luke for Kylo killing his students, that was his choice just like Anakin made his choice. Yoda looked weird but it was touching seeing him and Luke again, though I would have loved seeing Anakin talking to him. Now Luke became more powerful than you can imagine, having finally faced his guilt and moved on. I loved Luke and Leia's reunion even if he wasn't really there.
    "No one is ever truly gone", "See you around kid". Snoke's death was so hilarious after hyping him so much same for Phasma though I loved the cracked helmet, very reminiscent of Vader's broken helmet in SWR. I still love Finn and I love Rose and her line about not fighting those they hate but saving those they love, so Star Wars. The weird powers weren't really "new", there were some forms of it in other mediums both in old and new EU, the mirror cave was one of my favorite part as expected. I want more weird in SW. Rey's lineage was never a question to me, that was more fans being fans than the movies. They made it clear that what matter is ahead, not behind. Now to get the Art of TLJ and the Visual Dictionary, I'm so excited. I love that Holdo didn't betray Leia and was one of the good guys all along and Poe was being reckless though I guess she should have been more blunt from the start. Too bad she died too quickly. Leia using the Force, FINALLY! My thought feel really disorganized and I apologize for that and BB-8 is still awesome and that movie didn't have enough R2. Droids are the true heroes and nothing is going to change my mind.
    Overall movie is between 7,5-8/10. I will have to see it again in a few months to know for sure.

Grievousdude and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I think one of the best plot points in the movie was the establishment of Rose's character. It kind of reminded me of TCW and to a lesser degree Rebels; where side characters that are otherwise unrelated to any of the protagonists are given a face. She sees her sister KIA, and from then on her character is part of the story.

Grievousdude likes this.
  11. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I wonder if Luke learned that from Yoda or discovered it for himself. I also wonder if it's possible for Ezra and Kanan to learn it too or if only advanced force users can do it.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So how long will spoilers have to remain in this thread? Also when will we be able to use no tags at all?

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    As it's out in most places spoilers can branch out, but they still have to be tagged for a couple more weeks.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I noticed that, too! Also, when the visuals cut between Ben and Leia on their respective ships, I remembered Vader and Tano from Rebels. Maybe Johnson and Filoni exchanged notes.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  15. FarEasterling

FarEasterling Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2011
    Johnson and Filoni have actually met and had a fruitfull exchange. http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-live-action-tv-show/
    “I have an incredibly talented group of people working here [at Lucasfilm]. They’ve worked for me all 12 years that I’ve been here. So I feel indebted to them and want to keep creating work for them so they can use their abilities and tell great stories. I also want to keep pushing myself into areas that are challenging and new. I’ve had a lot of experience now interacting with live-action directors like Rian Johnson who’s been really wonderful to me and showing me what their production is like.

Grievousdude likes this.
  16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    So do Rey and Kylo still have that mind link? Could lead to some interesting scenes in Ep 9 if they do.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's among the ongoing discussions in the film forums. I thought that mind link had a more devious connotation to it; that Kylo deliberately played into Snoke's game of sabotaging Rey's mind so they'd pair up, defeat him, and then rule the galaxy as a duo (like Vader wanted to do with Luke in overthrowing Palps).

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I posted this a couple of other places on the boards (OK, a few other places, because everyone is entitled to my opinion) but here’s my review:

The Good:

—Humor. One thing I really missed in the PT was dialogue, and this movie has it in spades. “Permission to get in an X-Wing and blow things up?” “Permission granted.” And “See you around, kid.”
    —The Porgs and the ice foxes. Both were cute without being overwhelmingly cute.
    —Holdo. In Leia, Princess of Alderaan, she was Luna Lovegood. Whereas Luna owned in her particular way, the reader had to look for it. Holdo had evolved beyond that in this movie. Nobody had to look to see what she owned.
    —On that note...this movie was more feminist than I thought it might be, given Holdo, Rose and Leia’s leadership.
    —Luke’s explanation of the light side of the Force, and how it was not limited to any particular religious belief or doctrine.
    —Snoke. He was a much better villain than I anticipated. Torturing Rey in mid-air? Ouch.
    —The ending was more hopeful than I had imagined. The Resistance is on the run, but I definitely got the impression that I might come back.
    __Finn finally opening a can of whoopass.
    —Space Horse rescue
    —Space Monaco, i.e. Canto Blight.

The Spectacular:

—Kylo Ren got owned. OWNED. Snoke, his uncle, and Rey. He did not win anywhere.
    —The Rey and Finn reunion.
    —The Luke and Leia reunion.

The Bad:

—Hux. What the hell was that? Sorry, Domhnall Gleason, you were far better as Bill Weasley. You were just a screeching villain worse than Krennic here.
    —Leia, despite her leadership skills, seemed old. Almost like the film was trying to make her old.
    —Chewie eating porgs. Not funny. I could pass.
    —Rey’s parents, after somewhat of a buildup in The Force Awakens, being nothing but alcoholic junkers who sold her for booze. We could have been told that in The Force Awakens.
    —Poe having a tantrum. Really, Poe? One character tantrumming is quite enough, thanks.
    —Kylo breaking his mask and several windows in a tantrum. Was I supposed to sympathize there?

The Ugly:

—Rey’s lack of reaction to Kylo talking to her across the galaxy through the Force. Hi Rey—the correct response is, “Leave me alone, you psycho.”
    —Shirtless Kylo. I have no problem with Adam Driver himself, but really, Rian Johnson? Are you making a point here?
    —Luke’s back story with Kylo. That was ridiculous. The fact that Rey believed Kylo’s version of it was even more ridiculous.
    —Luke and the blue milk, as well as the Canto Blight alien with boobs. Yeah, Rian, we get it. But keep that gratuitousness to yourself.

19. FarEasterling

Aug 18, 2011
    In the previous movies/animation series everything revolved around dooming/saving the galaxy, and that purpose raised people to power. PT, OT and the Clone Wars animation series specifically state that preoccupation with personal gains allowed catastrophic things happen (Darth Sidious demise included). Now the galaxy got tired and resigned in a "do what you want, but don't expect to be paid" manner. I suspect they slowly move pieces into the game of thrones type of movies, where personal motivations of representatives of warring houses spin the history, not the history spins the representatives. In a way, we are offered to play a chessboard on its backside.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    wow, not going to lie, I didn't make that connection despite it being right there in our faces. Great article overall.

MrDarth0 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I wasn't thinking about the Mortis arc as I was watching those scenes in TLJ, but I can see how one might make that connection.

23. FarEasterling

Aug 18, 2011
    May be there is more parallels in 20 minutes which will be added to to the blue-ray version

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  24. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    My thoughts on the Last Jedi:

Just saw it and woo boy what a hot mess. This movie is like an RPG where the player tried to break the game by making as many odd choices as possible (along with a pointless side-quest aka Canto Blight and the random horse rescue). Who was Snoke and how did such a dark-sider get into pow-oh he's dead now. Hey its Luke Sky-oh he's a nihilistic grumpy old man. Hey a nifty new Rebel leader lady-dead. Hey they're gonna achieve some master plan to escape the First Order fleet-oh it was pointless and actually detrimental the whole time. Oh Phasma, maybe she'll actually be interes-she's dead.

So Luke Skywalker, the man who redeemed Darth never-showed-himself-to-be-anything-but-a-broken-monster Vader doesn't give a flying flip about redeeming his nephew while Rey, who Kylo tortured, wants the boy redeemed because they touched hands. The politics of this movie were so stupid and simplistic. Everyone in Canto Blight must be rich from weapons deals and thus they deserve to hurt. Cause only jerks visit Vegas. Hey Rose, maybe somebody just wanted to watch Space Blue Man Group. The multiple-system spanning Republic that has reigned for decades is gone just from having their capital system destroyed and now we are supposed to believe that, aside from some scattered allies in the Outer Rim, all that is left of it and what it represented is mainly those aboard the Falcon? And way to snuff out everything in the OT and spit on its ashes. Everything they achieved is meaningless. Han Solo is dead. Leia's government is destroyed. Luke gave up on the idea of the Jedi. But hey, at least we got Porgs awkwardly shoved in everywhere. And Walrus boobs.

I mean, there were good and interesting parts of this movie. Kylo Ren and Rey were both fleshed out. Kylo's direction is especially interesting and I look forward ti seeing where it leads. Luke's discussion of the Force was neat. But mostly I feel like it was a step backward.

The Shadow Emperor and MrDarth0 like this.
  25. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I was thinking how little was revealed in the OT re: Anakin's fall. While I appreciate the prequels, The Clone Wars added helpful context. I hope the next animated series can explore Ben's fall. I like to think Ben had a better reason than "My uncle looked at me the wrong way."

MrDarth0 and TheMDOSS1313 like this.