main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Official LACWAC Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, May 28, 2011.

1. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Just watched the movie today. Have to share my thoughts:

Loved it. It all leads into ANH very well.
    -CGI Tarkin was done so, so well.
    -Vader being on the big screen once more was beautiful. The scene with him slaughtering Rebels was incredible.
    -Liked the robot. He was pretty funny.
    -Surpised they killed off ALL the new rebels.

Overall I actually enjoyed this more than The Force Awakens. I was looking out really hard for references to Rebels, but I couldn't find them?

2. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    The Ghost was in the space battle, you could hear someone calling for "General Syndullla" over the intercom on Yavin, and apparently Chopper was visible for about 2 seconds in one shot. Oh and the Hammerheads, those were probably the most obvious.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm now convinced the story group will find a way to include Obi Wan in Rebels. They took a lot of creative liberties with Rogue One. If Gareth can put the Tantive IV directly in front of Vader at the Battle of Scariff,they can find a get-around to get Kenobi on Rebels. I'm interested in their explanation to Vader seeing the ship and then saying what he does in ANH, rather than " I saw your ship escape from that bigger one, and your crew attacked me when I tried to board"

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    TBH the worst thing will be the Ghost crew themselves. They go through Imperials like a knife through butter and break in and out of Imperial installations so much, the writers actually joke about it on the show. Yet for some reason, they don't use there Uber team for this ?! hmmm........

5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Everyone runs out of luck and talent eventually, sometimes at the same time with disastrous consequences. How about we take a step back and see how it all shakes out. We're still kind of far out from Rogue One in the show's timeline IIRC.
    You may find Pablo's tweet informative.

Link fixed.

6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I WANT TO SEE VADER'S CASTLE IN REBELS! GIMMEGIMMEGIMME! [face_praying]
    Apparently it is also the site of a Sith temple. :-B

darklordoftech and jabberwalkie like this.
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lol I just tried it and it says the URL can't be show :p

No we aren't far, it's only about 2 years before ANH
    I'm not going to hang about on the promise, that maybe , possibly, someday it might become a proper Starwars show. Let's face it, if it didn't have that label and all the Non show characters, the writers are constantly throwing at the screen, it would have died a death a long time ago.

8. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Let's try linking it again after fixing the original one.

Two years is a long time, if it was a matter of months I'd agree but it isn't. And what makes a "proper Star Wars show"? That seems like a very subject complaint. Granted the brand is important, but what is important is that the show has definitely found an audience in the younger viewership which seems like it was the intent of the show as it was with TCW when it initially started as well. Shows mature as they go on, and Rebels has matured some as well since it's debut.

That's also not to mention that
    Rogue One pretty much explains they decided to do nothing about it because of how polarized the council was on it anyways.

9. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Well that was a lot of snow to dig through but I managed to get to the theater today to see it. Enjoyable points had to be...

OMG is the human CGI work getting better. I could actually suspend my disbelief enough to really believe Peter Cushing and 19 year old Carrie Fisher were really standing there on set with everyone else. Having both Tarkin and Leia in it were brilliant ways to tie it all together. Clu's appearance as a young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy looked good, but maybe a little plastic...now a few years later, these two looked great.

As a side note good editing skills to get the original Gold and Red Leaders into the fight. They were blended in perfectly. And now we know why the Red 5 position was open for Luke to take. Oh well.

Next, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is the first time we've seen live action Vader kick some ass...and I mean in the full armor with the red blade and everything going up against multiple armed combatants at once. Before it was just occasional duels with both old and up and coming Jedi. Here he cleans house at the end without even breaking a sweat and it was awesome to watch. As soon as I heard the breathing in the darkness I was begging him to bring out the saber. I just wanted him to light up the hallway with it and go to work, and he did not disappoint.

Seeing the Ghost in cameo appearances was nice, as was the call over the PA for General Syndulla. It's nice to know she's around for these events. I do admit, though, obviously if it's confirmed to have been her, then that kinda gives her a bit of plot armor for the series, because now they can't kill her off. Still, a General. Way to go Hera!

Life hasn't been kind to Saw Guerrera. He seemed like he was getting a little nuts there towards the end, but even so, I liked having him there as a tie in to the Clone Wars.

Let's see...recreations of the death star interior control and firing rooms was good. A lot of the comic relief and the jokes were good. I was genuinely surprised that all of them died. I imagined some would, and maybe even most, but not a single one made it. In a way, though, I think doing that really drove home the gravity of what was happening and what is going to happen as the timeline moves into ANH. I think overall it really worked for the story.

The R2/3P0 cameo was...cute...but unnecessary I think. Unless they're trying to keep up the tradition that the two are in every single film. That'll be hard to do when they get around to Han's movie, though, I think.

Excellent way to spend two hours, and a good way to tide me over until Rebels comes back next month. Definitely getting added to my collection.

Oh yeah, and the line of the film... "Are you kidding me?! I'm blind!!"

jabberwalkie and Sandtrooper956 like this.
  10. Efdifor

Efdifor Jedi Knight

Mar 3, 2015
    The Clone Wars and Rebels are way more spiritual successors to the Original Trilogy than the Prequels ever were.

And if you think a small band of nobodies breaking into impregnable locations and succeeding against impossible odds while seventy thousand stormtroopers miss every shot they take and fall over if they get breathed on despite wearing armor isn't what Star Wars is about, you aren't paying attention.

MandoArtist likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They are technically successors and not spiritual

12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    forgoing the image caption thread for the R1 spoilers

[​IMG]
    Sabine: Don't lie Chopper! We saw you in the movie! Where are we in the future? ...not around?
    Ezra: don't worry Sabine, maybe we were on the Ghost!

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

TCW yes I agree but Rebels no and if you can't tell the difference between the OT fun tension filled adventures, and the bland tensionless Rebels, then it's you who aren't paying attention. Even the writers can tell the difference. Why do you think they are throwing so many OT/TCW/PT and now EU characters at the show [face_dunno]

The point still stands, why wouldn't they use the Uber crew for this sort of thing ?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    The one thing I disagree is that Vader never was a pun character. "Don't choke on your aspirations" is entirely in character for someone who also said

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
    "You have failed me for the last time"
    "Apology accepted"
    "Pray that I don't alter the deal any further"

That trend continues even in the Marvel comics. "That I can kill you repeatedely is by far your most appealing trait" comes to mind.

15. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Just got back from a late show of Rogue One. In my opinion its an awesome movie and an ok Star Wars movie. My spoilery review:
    -Tonally its very distinct from the other movies. This isn't a fairy tale in space or Buck Rogers radio serial. Its a sci-fi war movie, tonally on the spectrum a little more towards a lighter version of Aliens or the futuristic war scenes in Terminator. It doesn't have that lighthearted charming flavor that seems to permeate the original trilogy. (its kinda hard to enunciate exactly what that tone is, but other films that I think overall have it are E.T., Back to the Future, and Indiana Jones. Maybe certain scenes in Jurassic Park too like when Grant and the kids are in the tree feeding the brachiosaurus or the ending Deus Rex Machina. There's still danger and high stakes but ultimately we're all still having fun and not thinking too deeply on the more depressing aspects of reality). I love Aliens and Terminator so I enjoyed Rogue One immensely. But at the same time a very small part of me finds it odd that this gritty war film takes place shortly before Leia kisses Luke on the cheek and swings across a chasm to a swelling orchestra. But I suppose that's the fun of having a big connected universe like Star Wars has become (and I do mean that seriously).

-The story was conceptually interesting. The acting was good. Lore wise it was very satisfying. But I think a small mistake they made was having the story mostly from Jyn's perspective (and it is Jyn's perspective, she gets all the flashbacks and is the main character). The trailers make it seem like the movie would be about how a cynical Jyn learns hope and fights for a cause. But Jyn's arc ends very early (for me it felt like a third into the movie). As soon as she sees her father's hologram, she's a beacon of hope and optimism, ready to take a chance. Cassian, on the other hand, is the one who really has a semblance of an arc. He goes from cold pragmatist and assassin to a person who gains a more romantic view of what he is doing. I think the movie would have been better had we focused more from his perspective. You could have a more consistent and fleshed out character arc if Jyn was an optimist from the beginning and that passion bleeds over to Cassian. Rather than show us Jyn's hardships, have a scene were she explains them to Cassian and explain how she fights in spite of them. Let him be in the room when Galen's hologram plays. Maybe have Jyn give him her mother's kyber crystal to visualize that theme etc. etc. Its really the only problem I have with Rogue One. It has a good plot, but it focuses more on its plot than it does its characters (as epitomized by the fact that they are are killed off in the end). We are given hints of interesting themes and backstories (faith vs pragmatism with Chirrut and Baze, redemption with the ex-Imperial pilot) but ultimately there's not enough time to give them any flesh and instead we just get hints of depth. Their deaths don't have the big punch that they could've had if the story had been more character driven.

-Special effects were awesome. They managed to make the film look like 70s special effects but in a good, endearing way. Ships look like they are made of real stuff rather than pasty models. Explosions have little rotoscopish electric bolts. The CGI OT characters were...ok. Not at the point were I am laughing at them or taking a creepy trip down the Uncanny Valley, but more at the point where I can tell its a CGI character but am not taken out of the scene completely. Its comparable to how I know Gollum or an Acklay is not real creature or make up or a puppet but can still focus on the plot rather than its presence.

-Music was ok. Nothing I'll be remembering enough to hum though. The lack of an opening crawl was a little disappointing though not a complete deal breaker.

Overall good movie. Any Star Wars fan should see it and will likely enjoy it. I don't see it being very polarizing.

Iron_lord and fett 4 like this.
  16. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I may be going out on a limb, but I'm now expecting a mid season trailer for Rebels that shows K2 and Cassian. I'm also really hoping that we see the backstory of the Partisans on Jedah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And then there's ROTS novel and "He said we would be left in peace" "He said you would be left in pieces".

Works for me.

Darth_Voider and cwustudent like this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I've only seen one bad review for RO so far and most fans like it so you really do have to hand it to Edwards.

20. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Looks like I had a good idea :cool:

cwustudent likes this.
  21. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    The entire chapter is just him at his most sassiest
    Darth Vader enters at the Mustafar bunker were the CIS leaders are hiding.

SAN HILL: Welcome, Lord Vader! On behalf of the leadership of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, let me be the first to...
    VADER: Very well. You will be the first.
    VADER removes his hood and ignites his saber.
    SAN HILL: You're Anakin Skywalker!
    VADER digs his saber into the chest of SAN HILL.
    VADER: The resemblance is deceptive.
    SHU MAI: We were promised a reward...a handsome reward!
    VADER: I am your reward. You don't find me handsome?
    RUNE HAAKO: Stop! Enough! We surrender, do you understand? You can't just kill us!
    VADER: Can't I?
    RUNE HAAKO: We're unarmed! We surrender! Please, please, you're a Jedi!
    VADER: You fought a war to destroy the Jedi.
    VADER slashes RUNE HAAKO.
    VADER (cont.): Congratulations on your success.
    WAT TAMBOR: Please, I'll give you anything. Anything you want!
    VADER cuts WAT TAMBORS arms and head
    VADER: Thank you.
    NUTE GUNRAY: The war... The war is over... Lord Sidious promised... He promised we would be left in peace.
    VADER RISES HIS LIGHTSABER
    VADER: He promised you would be left in pieces.

Darth_Voider and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "You killed my father."
    "I've killed very many fathers. You'll have to be more specific."

Darth_Voider likes this.
  23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Anybody know what happened to Admiral Raddus?

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't know yet (unless the novelization told us).

My guess is that:

he died (suicided to prevent Vader capturing him, or died from hits to the bridge), the Rebels knew this fairly quickly - and promoted Ackbar to replace him.

25. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Three of those are not puns, and "I find your lack of faith disturbing" is debatable. Sarcasm sure, but not a pun like we had here. Regardless, "don't choke on your aspirations" was a pretty cheesy and bad line. Feel free to disagree, that's my stance on the matter.