main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    This thread is being set up to differ between the Dark Nest Trilogy that is coming out this year and the 9 book series coimng out later on - if you want to discuss the Dark Nest Trilogy go here. This thread is for the nine book series currently being written by Troy Denning, Aaron Alston and Karen Traviss. Information regarding this series was announced at C3 and is as follows:-

The title of the series was announced as being "Legacy of the Force". The era will be referred to as the "Legacy Era". The first book in the series by Aaron Allston will be entitled "Betrayal". There will be a hardback followed by two paperbacks, then that's repeated through the 9 books. The first is due in June 2006 with the others to follow every 3 months. The books will feature conflict stemming from "planetary interests that threaten peace" and Luke will be plagued by visions of "approaching darkness". Much of it will take place in the Outlands. The book covers a 2 - 3 year span and the main characters will be in their 60s which the authors referred to as "the new 40s".

Returning characters will include all the majors plus Tenel Ka, Wedge, Saba, and the female Sith from the Marvel comics. Hobbie, Tycho, and Corran Horn will also have roles. It was also hinted that Anakin may return as a Force ghost. The biggest surprise was that Boba Fett and the new Mandalorians will play a major role in the series. Karen Traviss' book seems to be the one he will be most prominent in. Also look for new characters along the way as well as the heroes being in constant jeopardy. (They dodged questions on if there were more major character deaths.) The "New Jedi" from the previous books will now appear as "maturing Jedi" in their 20's. Also look for the mystery of Vergere to be resolved and a "cicrle" with the prequel era.

The authors and editors dodged questions on if the Sith will reemerge, if we'll se Ben piloting a strange starfighter (ala Luke's vision), or if Jacen has a romance. They said they are forbidden from covering the Whills or Yoda's race by mandate from Lucas. There are also no current plans for more Solo children. With the story still being written, they haven't decided if there will be an Imperial presence in the book. The authors also revealed that they had their first meeting on the series in November and have been corresponding closely on the plot ever since.

Obviously events in this series will be influenced highly by the Dark Nest Trilogy and so things will be a bit quiet around here for a while.

To start could someone with more knowledge of the Marval era give a potted history of the lady Sith - I think here name's Lumiya - for those of us around here who may not be familiar with her exploits.

We also have a book title in "Betrayal" so let the wild speculation begin!!!!

EDIT- Here are the revealed covers so far:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/img/20051104_bg.jpg]

2. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    The biggest surprise was that Boba Fett and the new Mandalorians will play a major role in the series. Karen Traviss' book seems to be the one he will be most prominent in.

Can't wait for this one! :D

To start could someone with more knowledge of the Marval era give a potted history of the lady Sith - I think here name's Lumiya - for those of us around here who may not be familiar with her exploits.

Here's her Databank entry: Lumiya

3. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    Some points made by Le Sammler from the other thread that are of great interest:-

BTW, read the article on starwars.com about the 'Legacy of the Jedi' announcement, it is a pity that they did not show the new Legacy Era symbol, as they did mention that there is one, and it was displayed at C3!

Another question, which I can't BELIEVE that no one has thought of: The powers that be at C3 indicated that Anakin may return as a Force Ghost in Legacy of the Force. Everyone assumes that this will be Anakin Solo... interestingly enough, LFL did not mention the last name of Anakin... perhaps the Force Ghost could be Anakin Skywalker??? After all, they said this series would go Full Circle with the Prequel Trilogy!

It is awesome that the Mandalorians will be involved in a huge way! It is like that now Episode III is finalized, the gates have now been let open as there are no story conflicts / plotpoints 'out of bounds' by GL. Fandom a decade or so ago dreamed that the Jedi would face off against the Mandalorians in the Clone Wars, guess they could potentially get their wish now! And it is AMAZING that Lumiya will return! I guess that LFL does listen to the fans after all!

Thanks EmperorSorridom for the link on Lumiya's history!!

4. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    I'd actually like to see Boba and his forces join up with our heroes rather than face off against them. "The Unifying Force" seemed to indicate that Boba has a future as a hero.... Perhaps Boba's Mandalorians will fill a similar role as the Clone Troopers in the prequel era. It would provide a little bit of things coming full-circle between the Legacy and Prequel eras.

Then again, the storyline could just as well go the Mandalorians vs. Jedi route...as was dreamed of a long time ago.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it's clearly implied in the Article and in TUF that Boba and the Mandalorians will most likely be playing the good guy roles. Continuieing Fenn's legacy.

Don't see why they call it Boba and the NEw Mandalorians, when it's Boba and Fenn's Mandalorians.

6. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    BTW, read the article on starwars.com about the 'Legacy of the Jedi' announcement, it is a pity that they did not show the new Legacy Era symbol, as they did mention that there is one, and it was displayed at C3!

[image=http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/f20050419/img/p25_1_sm.jpg/image.gif]
    Here's the Legacy Era symbol.

EDIT: Darnit! Well, here's the link.

7. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    What / Where are the Outlands???

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's the same thing as the Unknown Regions, AFAIK.

9. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    Nice symbol - perhaps we might see some stuff from DH if they have nothing to do after the CW have finished.

10. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Mane, you don't know that they'll be heroes, none of us know much and we shouldn't pretend too. I wish they ware mercs but they might not be. Just because you can cite vagueness in the article and a crappy book in a halfway decent series doesn't mean you're correct. Boba can change his ways easily. And on a different note, I wonder if Lumiya will turn up. A new Sith Lord(Lady) will be cool. I just hope she isn't as incompetent as the last twnety dozen or so wre :p. I wonder if Jacen/the Solo ****(Jaina) will have kids/kid. I bet on Solo **** and The Man-Chiss Wonder having kids.

11. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    The Unknown Regions have always been called the Unknown Regions, why suddenly now start referring it as the Outlands???

12. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    and for Boba to change his ways in an undeveloped new path for him would be stupid. Not to mention making the Mandalorians the bad guys against is just about as old and cliche as making the Empire the bad guys again.

13. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    How is Boba being a mercenary a new and undeveloped path for him? He was a bounty hunter for a while if you hadn't noticed yet.
    EDIT: And who said the Mandos would be bad?

14. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    Perhaps the Outlands will be a reference to YV conquered space - possibly now deserted after the war, it would make sense.

15. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    "How is Boba being a mercenary a new and undeveloped path for him? He was a bounty hunter for a while if you hadn't noticed yet.
    EDIT: And who said the Mandos would be bad? "

I wasn't talking about him being a Mercenary, but about him playing the good guy. He and the Mandalorians stopped being mercs, and continuied the protecting role as said in the article.

If you have the Mandalorians conquering the galaxy, and killing main characters that would make them the bad guys.

16. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    The part about them conquering the galaxy and killing main characters was a joke. Except for killing Jacen. That wasn't a joke.

17. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    I wonder if Naboo will be in it.

18. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    What?! Me disagreeing with the prestigious DarthMane2?! Will wonders never cease... :p

I think that Boba and the Mandalorians could go either way. I could see them supporting the "good guys" or I could see them, having finally built up their resources, trying to conquer the galaxy and rid it of the Jedi.

Either one would be an interesting and new path for Boba and the Mandalorians (who we still have yet to actually see them have an all out war with the Jedi... with the partial exception of the KOTOR "Mandalorian Wars") that I can't wait to read about.

And these are hardly "Fenn's" Mandalorians. If anything they would be "Spar's" Mandalorians, and even that's ridiculous, when you consider that everything Spar knew about the Mandalorians would have come from Jango, which came from Jaster, and so on.

19. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    YAY! Someone on my side of the argument! But Sarek in that other thread did have a point. It seems that every thread now seems to involve either a Thrawn argument with the Thrawn groupies(no offense to the Thrawnites out there!) duking it out with the tricksy lil' purists. Or a Mandalorian debate with DarthMane2 and....everyone else. LoL.

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'll give nothing to Jango or Jaster, who have the same Mandalorian training as passed down through the ages.

Fenn rebuilt the Mandalorian army, rebuilt Mandalore, and took back the sector.

He did more for the Mandalorians then any Mandalore in maybe about 3000 years. I give Spar the credit for building a Super commando group that would be the cause and effect for Fenn Shysa to rise.

These are definitly FENN's MANDALORIANS.

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Until Boba killed him and took the title. Such is the way of Mandalore.

Jango also preserved Mandalore by teaching the clones Mandalorian culture.

22. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    Fenn hated being a Mandalorian. In the Marvel comic I believe that after Tobbi died he said that alls Tobbi cared about was the armour. Meaning alls he cared about was being a Shock Trooper. Fenn did serve as Mandalore but it was out of duty to the people, not because he wanted to be Mandalore. And Boba wanted to be a mercenary in the article, which Fenn said was ok sometimes, at least until he died protecting Boba on Shogun. In fact, that is probaly why Boba was Mandalore of the Protectors. Hed felt a sense of duty and shame because Fenn died saving him and wanted to redeem himself by saving the galaxy. Now, he and Spar's Mandalorian's(Spar was far better than pretty boy Fenn) will be mercs again. It's what Mandalorians are. in the words of the mighty Jaster Mereel "We are highly-paid soldiers, nothing more."

23. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Where did it say Fenn hated being a Mandalorian.

Also Charlemagne19 Fett did not kill Fenn. Fenn died saving Fett's butt.

24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Buddy Mandalorians aren't Mercs, the only time in Mandalorian histoy when they mostly all became Mercs(save some) was after the Mandalorian Wars. When they didn't have a Mandalore to fight for, or a reason to fight anymore. These later clans would go on to become the Mandalorian Mercs that Jaster ended up commanding and being apart of.

Yet that means for a bout 25000, plus years the Mandalorians were soul warriors who desired destruction over everything else.

Spars Mandalorians weren't mercs either. Those Mandalorians were under the offical control of the Mandalorian Government and Sidious.

Oh and I have the comic where you say Fenn said that line, and he didn't.

Also you don't know the condition for Boba having the Mandalorians return, for a time, to their merc ways.

EDIT: and it seems to me that from the Article, Boba will continuie to go the protector route, not the mercenary route.

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Also I don't think Fenn hated being a Mandalorians. He jumped at the chance to join Spar to fight in the Clone Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.