main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    If I can wrestle this thread from the Fandalorians, for a bit...

Reasons to look forward to this series:

- Reduced size and number of authors, plus intergrating format, could very overcome many of the major story problems the NJO series had. We have a much better chance of a tighter plot.

- Troy Denning, Aaron Allston, and Karen Travis are all accomplished authors in the Star Wars saga (or at least, their novels were generally very well received). So we can expect at least some quality in terms of writing.

- Mando's, Fett, Lumiya, Kyle Katarn, full-circle wackiness? This thing's shaping up to be specifically designed as a fanboy-funfest. This is good.

Reasons to worry:

- Good possibilty of story repitition.

- The whole Vergere thing is a Pandora's box, I swear. Even IF they're going to try to reconcile her stuff with the rest of the saga's ideas of the Force. Who said retcon? No I.

- Initial novel shares name with bad comic book. :p

So yeah, looking forward, I guess, even if it's only because of morbid curiousity.

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    "Led now by the former bounty hunter Boba Fett, the Mandalorian Protectors returned conditionally to their mercenary ways for a time before committing themselves unilaterally to DEFENDING THE GALAXY from Vong occupation."

Not territory, GALAXY from vong occupation. Defending, nto attacking, not conquering.

Tholatin and Gyndine are not in Mandalorian territory. So the Mandalorians were liberating planets not of their territory from the Yuuzhan Vong.

Also Boba Fett was playing the good role in TUF. So he indeed as now played a good guy role.

3. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Tholatin & Gyndine are right next to each other on this map that doesn't list Mandalore on it anywhere. Can you show me what exactly is Mandalorian territory?

http://nav-computer.com/galaxymap.html

4. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Mandalore doesn't have an exact location in continuity. Other than being in the outer rim.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Not because it's just Lumiya, but because of the numerous debates going around saying she wasn't Sith.
    Not to mention proving once and for all that Leland Chee is a bigger flip flopper than John Kerry.<<

Actually Leland was present and specificaly pointed out her non-Sith Lord status, so he's been consistant.

6. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    DarthMane2 said:

That makes no sense, Jaster and Jango had no dealings with the government. And how does Jaster and Jango effect Fenn in this situation. For one Fenn and Tobbi ended up fighting against the government and Imperials who were enslaving the Mandalorian people. Which has nothing to do with Jaster or Jango. Spar, the clone of Jango, was even under full control of the goverment.

According to the article it was Alpha-02 (Spar) that brought the Mandalorian warrior culture back to the planet Mandalore. Where did he learn about the culture? It was taught to him by Jango. Where did Jango learn about it? It was taught to him by Jaster. If Jaster hadn't restarted the culture then Spar would have never have gone to Mandalore and the protectors would have remained loyal to the government.

and what did Jaster do for Mandalore or the people, the sector?

I think I covered that when I wrote this: We don't know how Jaster felt about the people that lived on Mandalore. He was busy trying to reunite the Mandalorian warriors and revive the Mandalorian culture. Did he want to help the people of Mandalore? Maybe, maybe not. Jaster's end goals are a mystery to us right now, because Death Watch started a civil war within the only group at the time still adhering to Mandalorian culture.

I should have said Mandalorian people. And Mandalore could have gone on to rule Mandalore once again, and that these Mandalorians were the ancestors of the Mandalorian people.

How do you know that at the time that Jaster reunited the clans and rebuilt the warrior culture that he could have also conquered Mandalore? Seems like an awful lot to put on his plate to me. For that matter, why would he have even wanted to? His inital goal was to rebuild the culture of the Mandalorians, something which the planet Mandalore no longer had anything to do with.

And had no power of Mandalore, or it's people, or the sector. Just left overs of last Mandalorian warriors.

If by that you mean he ruled over all surviving Mandalorian clans, then yep. I agree. As I said he apparently didn't care about, or didn't have the resources to care about, the humans on the planet Mandalore. And as far as we know, no Mandalore since the Sith Wars has had control over the planet Mandalore.

And no crap is apparent, but Thank god for Fenn in that deal.

Yet another sentence I'll need you to translate from the Mane tongue into English.

Are you sure he didn't have to reboo the culture, because these people weren't warriors. Fenn made them into warriors, or at least his armies.

He didn't need to reboot the culture again, he had the teachings that were passed from Jaster to Jango to Spar. He would have to train the humans to fight like warriors, but he didn't need to revamp the ideology of the culture, like Jaster did.

I go by what the article says, and it says that the Mandalorians didn't take merc work until after the Mandalorian Wars.

The article never states that the Mandalorians didn't take merc work before the Mandalorian Wars. Sorry.

I used to do the maybe could be thing, but I like the article better.

Almost as much as you like making up fanwank and calling it "facts."
    Almost.

There is nothing in the article that says Fenn's Mandalorians followed Jasters teachings.

Spar brought Fenn into the Mandalorian warrior culture. Spar followed Jango's teachings, who followed Jaster's teachings. Pretty cut and dried.

When I see a story that tells of Jaster fighting for money for his people, then I'll agree. Til then he's just a merc who didn't care anything for his people or Mandalore.

Jaster may well not have cared about the planet Mandalore or the people living there. We don't know one way or the other, as I said. There is no evidence either way, therefore your opinion that he didn't care is just that: an opinion.

7. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I have nothing to say to all that except, that's all your opinion. Although just becuase Fenn was taught Spars teaching, or maybe not, doesn't mean he used them when he rebuilt the Mandalorians.

2nd: Then who said that she was Sith. From what I understand someone called her the "Female sith from Marvel."

8. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    The exact quote from the C3 report states "and the female Sith from the Marvel comics." Surely it has to be Lumiya. Whilst she is known on these boards isn't she a bit to obscure to appeal to the more general book buying Star Wars fan?

Other things I'm excited about include the fact that:-

"The books will feature conflict stemming from "planetary interests that threaten peace" and Luke will be plagued by visions of "approaching darkness".

Personally I feel this implies a Separatist-style movement in the GFFA which would again circle with the PT.

Also the Anakin Force ghost thing - personally I feel this will be Anakin Solo and not Anakin Skywalker. On a separate but linked note - I know they are not allowed to kill off any of the "Big 3" (supposedly) - could they "kill" Luke and make him a recurring Force Ghost?

9. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    The exact quote from the C3 report states "and the female Sith from the Marvel comics." Surely it has to be Lumiya. Whilst she is known on these boards isn't she a bit to obscure to appeal to the more general book buying Star Wars fan?

Which target group buys the most Star Wars books? Pimply teenaged boys and single men who live in their mothers' basements, I'd say. If there's a chick in a tight black costume on the cover, I don't think the obscurity of her character matters that much.

I know they are not allowed to kill off any of the "Big 3" (supposedly) - could they "kill" Luke and make him a recurring Force Ghost?

Sounds like a bad sitcom. "Uncle Ghost" or something :p

P.S. Drew Struzan or Dave Dorman covers or else, Del Rey!! *pumps fist like Jim Carrey's kid in Liar, Liar*

10. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I wonder why LotF needs its own era symbol. Are we going to see the New Jedi Order collapse? Because I can't think of any particular reason this wouldn't be NJO-era...

-Paul

11. LijoT

LijoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Also, the OS report says Shira aka Lumiya, no mention of being a sith lord..fully in line with what Leland said.

The new era is quite good I'd say. The NJO era was when Luke was building up his group of jedi, ressurecting the order successfully. That process was done, the Jedi are roaming the world once again. There's no more need to refer to them as the new Jedi era anymore. Now we move on to the legacy era.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> 2nd: Then who said that she was Sith. From what I understand someone called her the "Female sith from Marvel."<<

The article is incorrect. She was identified by name as Lumiya, the, after no one recognzied the pronounciation, they clarified "Shira Brie" and somone else (and I think this was from the audience, not the panel members, but i could be off on that) then said "the female sith from the Marvel comics" as further clarifictaion when someone asked who Lumiya was. (again, I think the pronounication threw everyone off).

13. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    How did they pronounce it, out of curiosity?

-Paul

14. LijoT

Jan 25, 2005
    Quoting 2ndquest from the c3 thread :)

"Lumiya is pronounced Loo-maya, not Loom-ee-yah or some such...this obviously confused the crowd ("who the hell is maya?") who probably would have been more openly appluading her mention."

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    EDIT- beaten to it by...myself? ;)

16. LijoT

Jan 25, 2005
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I was one of the ones who heard "maya". Bad pronunciation, in my opinion.

The panel was pretty funny. I was disappointed at the answer to my question: the Remnant may not be the Empire, but they should hopefully not be just thrown away.

Oh, btw, hi again Quest. ;)

Didn't Alcatraz have some great food?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wasn't bad ;)

19. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    DarthMane2 -

Spar learned everything he knew about Mandalorian culture from Jango (who learned everything from Jaster), and Spar brought Fenn into the culture. These are facts.

If you prefer to believe that Fenn then went and completely disregarded everything Spar told him, made up his own culture instead, and then slapped the name "Mandalorian" on it... Well, I guess that that's your perogative. It's fairly ridiculous, but it's your perogative.

20. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Just a little titbit -

The Legacy symbol is the same as the symbol of the Jedi Order (perhaps prequel, but not necessarily). Check the NEgtW&T for it.

I'm looking forward to the authors on this one. I love Allston and Traviss. Denning I'm not too fussed about, but I'm sure he'll do a good job.

I do wonder how they'll be able to do something different though. Especially now that we know a Dark Force user is going to be the main villain.

Will this be a galaxy wide conflict? Or just a problem that our main characters will have to deal with?

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Can I point out, please, that American accents differ to the rest of the world? :p

That Jabba losing a mere 12,400 creds could have been big USD money in those days, but to others, with the ER adjusted, it'd have sounded small and trivial.

Or how NEGTC pronounces Kun as Koon, and Taris Upper Cantina's Yun as Yoon, when that's not how you say sun or fun. Doesn't mean you have to say it too. Choose your own.

There's no "right" way in that universe, where KOTOR uses both Twi'lek pronounciations . . .

22. TomarDucal

TomarDucal Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    Well, this update over at the Star Wars Roleplaying Game site may shed some light on the new upcoming series:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050407a

"Kyle became the academy's foremost battlemaster, honing the skills of countless Jedi students like Jaden Korr, and stopping the dark side berserker Jeng Droga. During the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, Kyle helped develop strategies against the invaders, freed the human captives of the Imperial Remnant world Ord Sedra, and flew a living Sekotan starship in the final battle for the planet Zonama Sekot.

While in Imperial Remnant space, Kyle heard a rumor that the Sith had possibly survived all these years after Endor. Due to his personal experience with mysterious Sith magic on Drommund Kaas, Kyle took it upon himself to investigate after the invasion, following clues from Ord Sedra in the Clacis Sector to Yaga Minor, and finally striking out into the region known as the Cloak of the Sith. There's been no word from Kyle for some time, and it's feared that he's succumbed to the same fate as the Jedi Daye Azur-Jamin, who inexplicably disappeared during the Yuuzhan Vong War."

23. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    ...and Leia and Han are both pronounced in at least two different ways in the trilogy. However, they do tend toward standardizing pronunciations, I think; the NEGTC's "Kun" pronunciation is corroborated by KotOR2 dialogue, for instance.

I'll probably say Lumiya the old way, because old habits die hard, but I will do so in the knowledge that it's wrong, and simply choose to consciously make the mistake.

Flashbacks to "Coruscant" -- though through some freak twist of fate I was actutally doing that one right pre-TPM! :eek: (Now, though, armed with some Old English knowledge, I like the way Matt Stover pronounces it, with a sh sound in the middle instead of just an s sound.)

Edit: And now, separated from Excellence's, my post looks rather weird. Blast.

-Paul

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Ah; yes. Beat me to it! A Sith emergence was mentioned in the recent Katarn article . . .

25. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    So Kyle's gone off, disappeared, unheardof, in search of a hidden Sith menace?

I wonder if this could possibly be being developed to tie in with KotOR (the games, not the comic). Cuz as of the end of KotOR2, isn't Revan doing exactly the same thing? (From what I've read; I still have to finish the final world myself.) I just think the parallels are rather interesting, and not entirely certain they're apt to be coincidence.

-Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.