main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    It's apparantly more of an idea for aspiring DMs. To quote part II of the Dark Forces saga thread...

Adventure Seed: Jedi Search

In the aftermath of the Yuuzhan Vong War, Kyle Katarn went searching for clues about the Sith. He has yet to return. In response, Jan Ors and Jedi Master Mara Jade Skywalker have put together a crack team of heroes consisting of Alpha Blue agents and Jedi Knights to find Kyle. Eventually heading out into the region called the Cloak of the Sith, the heroes find Kyle held captive by the cyborg Jedi Daye Azur-Jamin, who has been twisted to the Dark Side by an evil Force-user. The heroes must free Kyle and attempt to turn Azur-Jamin back to the light. Whether they succeed or are instead forced to kill him, the cyborg reveals information that is truly shocking: There is a dangerous Force-strong Yuuzhan Vong loose in the galaxy, and judging from her powers, it is clear that she has a master . . .

A Force-strong Yuuzhan Vong... a potential nemesis for the Legacy series? [face_thinking]

2. BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN

BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2002
    That would be wicked. A little too "Phantom Menace", maybe, but then again, I guess they did say they'd be making a circle with the prequels.

3. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    "Which target group buys the most Star Wars books? Pimply teenaged boys and single men who live in their mothers' basements, I'd say. If there's a chick in a tight black costume on the cover, I don't think the obscurity of her character matters that much. "

I'm sure many of us on these boards would take offence at this comment. ;)

So will this Katarn back story be used for the Dark Nest Trilogy, as he has been confirmed to appear in it? I'm feeling more and more that the DNT will be setting up this series in a big way.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That story seed with Kyle, Lumiya and the female Vong apprentice occurs between TUF and Dark Nest.

5. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    But we can assume it will probably be referenced in the DNT.

So does anyone have any inklings as to who the Betrayer and the Betrayed might be in the first book - my betting would be on a main character with Han and/or Leia being prime candidates for being betrayed by one of their kids, with Anakin Solo's ghost being an instigator of redemprion.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    But didn't the George chap say no more Sith?

Perhaps it's a false setup in the end, that ma'am isn't really Sith. Then again, Fett was regurgitated, wasn't he? It's all interesting in potential, but not when people are so old . . . Joiner King's cover reminds me strongy of the NES Metroid bugs all along the walls and surfaces . . .

Zoinks! It's the Mother Brain masterminding it all . . .

7. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003

That story seed with Kyle, Lumiya and the female Vong apprentice occurs between TUF and Dark Nest.

I've not heard of this one. Where can I abtain it?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Check wizards of the coast's website for their current series of articles on the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. The furst two or three parts are up.

9. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm glad to see Shira's back. She's the original. And the Sith are patient. I think Vader did teach her a lot, because he intended to overthrow Palps eventually.

10. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Please don't have a "Sith" enemy. That's just a rehash of old ideas. The whole Vong thing was fresh and new, it just wasn't as good as it could have been. I would like to see Pro-Jedi vs. Anti-Jedi galaxy.

The Jedi themselves could be Jedi rule vs. Senate rule.

11. ThrawnTheInfallable

ThrawnTheInfallable Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2003
    Just because the enemy is a Sith doesn't mean it 's a rehash of old ideas.

And the Vong were rediculous.

12. Anakin_Solo73

Oct 4, 2001
    Jedi vs. Sith at this point sounds like the enemy of the week/Death Star of the Week that occured during the New Republic era. Jedi vs. Non-Force Creatures. It was a fresh idea. It was different. I'd prefer Jedi vs. Mando's.

13. Anakin_Solo73

Oct 4, 2001
    I'd prefer a more Lone Wolf and Cub approach centered arond Ben. The Jedi are dealing with the Fall out from the Vong and old sentiments of Jedi and the Empire.

A whole new "Empire" or entity trying to take over the universe is just rehashing at this point. I'd take a different approach and have the universe unfold through the eyes of Ben.

14. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    Yeah, but Lumiya has far more history with Luke and co than Sidious has with any of the major players when he's first introfuced. Done well, this can be very good. And it's not going to be the same way Sidious tried to conquer the galsxy.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Sith always die off only to return again.

The ancient Sith were different enemies than Exar Kun's Sith, and Revan's Sith were different enemies than Exar's, and so and so on to Bane to Sidious and now to Lumiya.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    The Vong were only ridiculous, as one Litter recently put it, because no one bothered to make them deeper and variegated than the mad barking endless male sans any children undescribed ships we only got.

Now say that three times swiftly.

17. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    There weren't many ways to make em deeper.

They were just not a very good concept from the beginning. They were generic villain types.

And don't call me a litter.

18. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    Just read through the full summary on the official site and I noticed a few things that haven't been mentioned here so far:-

Rostoni added this era would first only be explored in books, but she didn't rule out the possibility of comics exploring this new horizon. She noted that it has no specific "end point." It currently extends for a hundred years.

Could the guys at LFL be planing a timeframe jump with the refernce to 100 years - could happen a few years down the line?

It would be cool if they did expand this series into the comic domain - even doing an X-Wing related spin off perhaps?

Just to confirm and avoid further confusion - Lumiya is definitely coming back:-

Sue Rostoni confirmed that a character will return from a long EU hiatus: the former Shira Brie a.k.a. Lumiya

That's about it for now.

19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    There weren't many ways to make em deeper.

I haven't the faintest idea why you'd possibly think that, or why you'd assume that's the only way anything can be done. [face_thinking]

20. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    Because the authors started them off as religious zealots.

How can you possibly do anymore with that than what they did?

If they wanted a new enemy type, they shouldn't have made them boring religious zealots in the first place.

Religious zealots, by any definition, have very little motive for doing anything other than what their god or gods tell them to do.

And of course we saw all the usual suspects that follow such a system. The casts that were lower than the warriors and the unclean, all hoping that their beliefs will provide them with salvation. There were the heretics and revolutionaries as well.

Just not much you can do with religious zealots. By definition, they're boring. Del Rey did everything they could do with the type of villain they chose to create.

Seriously, what did you expect from religious zealots? To have some deep , complex reason for doing what they did other than the gods told me to?

If you want an interesting villain , you don't start by making it a religious zealot.

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    That's impossible to say. There are millions of ideas. That someone started them off as one mindset, doesn't mean no one can change the equation with new variables. You got warriors, then later priesthood and scientists, politicians.

No one was forcing anyone to write ship descriptions so blandly, so superficially, for eg. Just a mere length gives you a size idea. And if miid ro-ik is weird for a destroyer name, well, what does that mean in eng, Menacer Destroyer?

You're seeing the Enjayo for what it was, and just assuming that's all it could be. I don't know why, though. The spectrum has more shades of colour than the naked eye can see.

22. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    What new variables? They did everything they could possibly do with that race. You had your athiest heretics, your revolutionaries. Even their leader turned out to not to be a believer of the religion.

Just exactly what else are you thinking can be done with religious zealots?

Let's say Christian and Muslim fanatics were luiterary creations, and created to be villains in some story. You the reader, knows that most of them do something because god told them so. The leaders may be using the religion to manipulate and gain power. And most of the followers are poor and downtrodden and only follow the religion because they have no hope.

Sound familiar? It's not that a group of religious fanatics is impossible, it's that the very type is just boring and does not allow for many interesting variables to be added. There is almost no creative freedom in developing religious fanatics because well..they're religious fanatics and religious fanatics are well known in real history. We know the type of people that follow these fanatics; we know what type of people the fanatics themselves can be.

My contention is, if you want an interesting villain, you don't start by making it a member of a group of religious fanatics. All religious fanatics based on those that exist in real life make poor villains indeed.

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Easy . . .

You could have made elements of the society rebellious. Or out with their own masterplans that underlined the existing events. The ideas are abundant.

Or even like explaining how you can raise some puppling up from the larval stage into despising machines they've never seen or touched.

People who don't believe in thinking something, just because they're told to. Who have their own seditious ideas about how to conduct society that doesn't or does invole planetary destruction.

Possibilities, as you can see, are quite endless, don't you agree?

24. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    You could have made elements of the society rebellious. Or out with their own masterplans that underlined the existing events. The ideas are abundant.

What? They did do that. The Shapers, the Praetorite Vong, various other individuals. And you know what? Predictable and boring. That's why you apparently didn't even notice it.

ple who don't believe in thinking something, just because they're told to. Who have their own seditious ideas about how to conduct society that doesn't or does invole planetary destruction.

Yeah I think that was the entire forsaken plot. Yawn.

Or how the High priest Hararr eventually broke away from Shimraa.

25. DarthBale

DarthBale Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    Didn't Alcatraz have some great food?

That place is AWESOME! And only 20 minutes (in good traffic) from my house. :)

On another note, I'm cool with the Lumiya thing as long as they differentiate her from the Sith Order of Bane, Sidious, and the gang (which went the way of the dodo at Endor). She can start a order of her own much like the unnamed rogue Jedi did 2000 years before TPM. Hell, it might be cool to have her get some teachings from the Clone Emperor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.