main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    "Eventually", as you said. As in, 80 percent of the series gone by the time they did. A series, mind you, that was nothing but repetitive character traits and plotlines for half of if.

That's not dynamics are work. That's wasting time and more importantly, your $$$.

2. ThrawnTheInfallable

ThrawnTheInfallable Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2003
    More like 50 percent of the series since the seeds were were planted in Edge of Victory, but that doesn't matter. I couldn't care if it was shown in the first book. Religious fanatics aren't very interesting to me. Nor are the rebellions against them and the various plots and schemes that come with living under religious tyranny.

Simply put, it's all boring.

They should have ccreated something original. Period.

3. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Boring? And you know this without seeing it on paper? This is the part when you tell me tonight's lotto numbers--- :p

It would have been anyway. You knwo how they write-down and simplify things in SW . . .

4. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    How could it not be boring? They just shouldn't have used religious fanatics and gone with something else entirely.

Until you can tell me your ingenious plans for making religious fanatics interesting, beyond the usual, I'll not be convinced.

5. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I just said posts above . . . they have their own motives, they're own way of thinking. And such contrasts can't but spark against their own people and the Reps. They made the mad barking Vong so linear, so superficial, it's almost a work of art.

Read the Evergence trilogy and you'll se what real intrigue and tricks are all 'bout.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I get the impression that ThrawnTheInfallable has an issue with something...

Because the authors started them off as religious zealots...If they wanted a new enemy type, they shouldn't have made them boring religious zealots...Religious zealots, by any definition...Just not much you can do with religious zealots...Seriously, what did you expect from religious zealots?...If you want an interesting villain , you don't start by making it a religious zealot...Just exactly what else are you thinking can be done with religious zealots?

Oh, but then he goes in for the change-up to throw us off!

It's not that a group of religious fanatics is impossible...There is almost no creative freedom in developing religious fanatics because well..they're religious fanatics and religious fanatics are well known in real history...if you want an interesting villain, you don't start by making it a member of a group of religious fanatics

o_O ;) [face_peace]

>>Hell, it might be cool to have her get some teachings from the Clone Emperor.<<

Unlikely, seeing as she seemingly had her apprentice, Carnor Jax, sabotage the last of the Emperor's clones.

7. DarthBale

DarthBale Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    She directed that? I was under the impression that Jax broke away from her and went on to do his own thing.

8. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    We dunno either way yet. She could have directed Palpatine's death, and jax could have broken away from her. We dunno yet.

Though it seems unlikely that she would just let him do his own thing. What good Sith master does that?

And I think 2ndQuest picked it up. I find it hard to find anything stuck under the rule of religious tyranny to be interesting. I don't care for the politics either. We know what type of politics will emerge from such a regime.

It's all been done before.

This is sci fi, and we should be able to create a race that's unique and gives rise to fresh new situations. We shouldn't have to use the generic religious fanatic template. That story has been done to death. There's only so much realistic type of politiking that can occur under such a regime. It's been done.

Why couldn't a totally new race be created with a different type of society?

Hell, they were even the generic humanoid alien villain.

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    No they weren't. They were heavier, stronger and taller than the average human.

Which made it somewhat ridiculous that 1.5m tall Jaina held off an entire 7 of the even deadlier slayers alone. No?

Watch what Durge would have done . . .

10. BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN

BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2002
    When you say that you find "religious fanatacism" to be boring, that's totally your own opinion, and you're more than welcome to it. Personally, I find constant economic intrigue like parts of the CW to be boring, but that's just me.

That being said, when you say that there was nothing else that could be done with the religious angle, I'm sorry, but that's just being close-minded. As others have said, what the creative powers behind NJO chose to do was only one of many interpretations. They were shallow and vague at some points, but on the whole it was pretty well done.

And as for something "new and original", not only is that nearly impossible in this day and age, it should also be noted that for SW, the Vong were original; up until them, every threat the characters faced was some new military push or a singular being with delusions of grandeur. Religion was always brushed off to the side in SW, given mention only as a way of creating a convenient misunderstanding for the heroes to solve, but the NJO made it an actual issue in the GFFA.

11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I actually liked the fact that the Vong were driven by religion rather than greed and power. I didn't find them boring. I also thought it was interesting that the Vong were conceived by Del Ray before religious extremism became topical i.e. before 9/11.

Anyway, getting back onto the thread, I'm looking forward to seeing Shira Brie return. I loved the original storyline in the Marvel comics when I was a kid and I think it's great that her storyline is being concluded more than 20 years later.

One thing I'd like to know is if she will look like a female Palpy i.e old and wrinkly or, through some kind of Sith power, she'd managed to retain her looks. From what I can remember she was quite a stunner, even though she was just an ink drawing (I had a lonely childhood.)

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    She probably doesn't look much worse than Mara or Leia, given the roughly-same age ranges they all occupy.

13. TogashiAikune

TogashiAikune Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2004
    So she's probably going to be somewhere between the old hag the writers of the NJO turned Leia into or the goddess that the writers believe is Mara Jade?

14. DarthBale

Jan 20, 2005
    From what I can remember she was quite a stunner, even though she was just an ink drawing (I had a lonely childhood.)

rofl @ that

Isn't she a cyborg now? So I don't think she's still a stunner.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tog- exactly ;)

Bale- well, we last saw her as she was a cyborg but Luke's battle with her stripped her of her mask and she looked pretty fine still.

16. DarthBale

Jan 20, 2005
    I'd still hit it then.

17. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I didn't need to know that.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But you know anyway. Convenient.

19. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    [face_laugh] I've been skipping over this thread because I thought it was Legacy of the Jedi.

:cool: This 9 part series should pwn. It has 3 of the top 9 SW authors writing it.

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    And the Aaron humour, like Lod, Dod and Fod entering a spaceport for brides!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

And just why didn't the chicken go across the road?
    . To not go to the other side! .

21. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003

That being said, when you say that there was nothing else that could be done with the religious angle, I'm sorry, but that's just being close-minded. As others have said, what the creative powers behind NJO chose to do was only one of many interpretations. They were shallow and vague at some points, but on the whole it was pretty well done.

Yes, that's your oppinion and you're more than welcome to it. ;)

And I can think of more than a few ideas they could have used that would have been totally new or at least used so sparingly, most people would think they're new. If you're lucky, you'll hear about em in a decade or so.
    ;)

22. KarenTraviss

KarenTraviss Author: -Hard Contact -Triple Zero -LOTF star 4 VIP

Mar 27, 2004
    << Actually Leland was present and specifically pointed out her non-Sith Lord status, so he's been consistent. >>

Yes...and bear in mind that for us writers, we must take what LFL says is correct continuity as the final word.

(By the way, The2ndQuest, it was great to meet you at CIII.)

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's an interesting distinction, really. Shelly says Sith and Leland says but not Sith Lord. It really struck me, sitting there.

So are they saying that her training is incomplete and that she is not as powerful as believed? Or is it that she is heir to another Sith tradition and not the successor to Palpatine, as some others have postulated?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> (By the way, The2ndQuest, it was great to meet you at CIII.)<<

You too Karen ::)

25. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    And the Aaron humour, like Lod, Dod and Fod entering a spaceport for brides!

I knew you'd finally realize Allston is funny, Ex. ;)

Oyah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.