main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Havac

Luke can deal with grief and guilt without being mopey.

But I bet he won't. And that will probably be his entire role in the book. :(

I'm also rather irritated that Ben, who already had an idea about who killed his Mom in Sacrifice, and who definitely seemed to KNOW who killed her in Inferno, suddenly finds out the "truth" about his mother in Revelation. Talk about dragging out a plot! :(

2. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    I hope that the Korriban Sith kill Jacen and make it look like an accident, then hide again on Korriban.

3. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm excited to hear that the Korriban Sith will be making a return and weren't just a throaway set-piece. I'm disappointed that they'll be dragging out the Mara issue for so long, but hopefully Fury will at least see Ben continue to investigate alone these lines even if it takes until Revelation to confirm his theory. I'm...not thrilled by the prospect of an entire book about everyone STILL hunting Alema. There are some great things in this series. But I liked Inferno as much as I did because suddenly stuff was happening. Luke broke away from the GA and the Confederacy. Ben broke from Jacen. People found out Jacen was evil. Jaina didn't end up in some peripheral plot forever. We found out about One Sith.

There are ways they could do it that I'd forgive, I guess. Like if Jaina (or someone) offs Alema in Fury thus allaying my deep-set fear that Jaina's "big kill" will be Alema in Invincible.

But really. I want to like this series. I started out - way back - defending the slow pace as acceptable - great set up. But I'm getting...frustrated now. And I'm not sure I'll be able to cope with a book where Ben continues to not know who killed his mom/is convinced it's not Jacen and Alema spends her fourth consecutive book making everyone look like idiots as they expend all their energy failing to catch her.

You know, I think I'd like Alema if she weren't being so frustratingly boringly STUPID in a lot of these plotlines. I know her character purpose is to play the red herring and probably die for it. But it's a thin line between doing that well and getting the reader on board for the danger and doing it badly and having the reader feel like they're being forced to follow a red herring they know is a red herring and that just makes me angry. HULK SMASH ANGRY.

I liked her in Inferno because she was largely away from the Jaina plotline and she was doing her own thing. But have everyone focused on chasing her and her focused on...whatever it is she does and I think I'm going to get a powerful urge to pull out my own eyes.

And I love Allston. Really I do.

Sorry. I'm just... ARGH! I'll reserve judgment and probably be convinced when I read it (I'm very good at doing that to myself). But I'm venting my fears to keep myself sane.

4. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Regarding the Fury summary: If the One Sith really were to start showing themselves, then this could be the crucial element to Jacen's redemption. Once Jacen sees that the Sith Way is only about screwing people (and that he himself got punked big time because there is no such thing as freedom, peace and intergalatic happiness if the Sith rule), he might finally take the turn around.

But somehow I think that this plot would be too complicated. I don't think the One Sith will really factor into this, except for maybe intervening in the shadows, no-one knows what happened and then they remain hidden until the Legacy comics.

5. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    I have to say the fact that the one Sith are now invloved has sealed Caedus fate, if he finds out about them then he will die there no way that they can be known about before the era of the Comics.

I'm calling Kryat to kill Caedus

6. JEDI_TJ

JEDI_TJ Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2007
    I know that it seems stupid that Ben discovers who killed Mara in revelation when he suspected Jacen at the end of sacrifice, and was absoloutely sure it was him in inferno. but maybe he discovers that it wasnt actually jacen who killed mara, it was darth caedus. Maybe the big revelation is that they discover jacen is a sith lord and the jedi try to go sick on him. But i doubt there will be enough time for a story like that if half the book is a ' buy one get 5 million free' mandalorian fiesta. Boba fetts cool but wheres his story going?

7. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    My moneys on Ben being the one to discover the whole truth, I think it will be him who discovers whom Darth Caedus is and why he killed Mara

8. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    About Revelation's summary:

My take on it is that Ben finds out Jacen used his face to cheat to Mara. Ben could fell kind of more furious, if not guilty i think.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There's a huge difference between heavily suspecting something and knowing it, having it confirmed. A very big difference.

And you do realize Allston has never written an inactive Luke?

10. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    There's a first time for everything.

Also, we are not in a court of law here, so the distinctions of suspecting and knowing something are not so important here. Ben's not a lawyer, he is a teenage killer close to falling to the Dark Side, so he should not really act like a lawyer, but like he is otherwise portrayed. He should not be expected to look for evidence that would be unquestionable, he should be able to jump to right conclusion - like he already did in Inferno - on what he has learned so far.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So Jedi should go around hunting down people . . . because they think they're right? "None of that evidence crap, I'm a Jedi!" Yeah, let's go stab the chief of state because we think he's up to something but can't be bothered to collect proof. That worked so well the last time.

12. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    I don't know if anyone has discussed this yet.

It looks like the next Miniatures series is LOTF. It supposedly includes characters from Legacy as well. So here is our chance at finally getting images for LOTF characters and vehicles (albeit tiny, but the figures do include cards with original art).

13. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Ben hasn't exactly been portrayed to be a model Jedi in LotF, he isn't even really any sort of Jedi at all. So what we can expect Ben to do and what a model, upstanding Jedi should do are not the same thing. Also, the only mistake Mace and his posse did was to go against Palpatine with too few Jedi. Take all the adult Jedi on the Temple to arrest Palpatine and by the time Anakin would have ran back to Palpatine's office, Palps would have been dead. Bad planning doesn't always have to mean that the idea - in this case, arresting or killing Palpatine - itself wasn't the correct thing to do.

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Oh well, maybe Luke will be able to straighten Ben out in Fury, though considering the name of the book, I doubt it, and that Ben will still be messed up by the end of Revelation, even moreso since he'll find out who killed his mother by then. Although going off and killing Jacen for possibly being the murderer of Ben's mother might be a bit too extreme, but I don't think Ben cares anymore.

Anyway, there's more than enough reasons to go and try arrest Caedus already (firing on Kashyyyk being the most recent), the problem is proof, and the fact that Caedus already has what is pretty much a dictatorship already with GAG to enforce that dictatorship, but hoefully by the end of Fury the Jedi will have something. Caedus can't cover up everything. Since Fury is an Allston book, maybe they'll actually remember poor Nelani Dinn, who died shortly before Jacen went all dark side-ish.

Just please, no more memory wipes, with Jacen having memory wiped Ben several times while he was growing up, and again at Lumiya's asteroid, not to mention Alema's way too convenient way of drifting in and out of people's memories, haven't the bad guys already covered up enough stuff? I just hope Ben actually finds out about those missing memories sometime before LotF finishes, though if/when he does, Allana will probably come into the picture too.

And while Luke probably could deal with grief and guilt without being mopey and out of action, its also a very easy way for the authors to keep Luke busy until the final showdown.

And I seriously doubt the One Sith would make Caedus rethink his motives. By book 8, we definitively know that Caedus is simply going to keep getting worse and worse, just going by the cover of the book. I personally think Caedus is already past the point of no return, but that's just me. Anyway, even if Caedus figured out that Sith ruling the galaxy would be bad for the galaxy, he's egostitical and arrogant enough to say that he's a different Sith, he's better than them, just like how he's a better Jedi than everybody else too, and that everyone should pity him for having to sacrifice his own happiness by killing everybody else and their happiness, etc, etc.

I'm hoping by Revelation, Ben will not be close enough to the darkside to fall if he tries to kill Caedus, not like he was at the end of Inferno, but considering Ben is one of LotF's main plots, I doubt Ben's character will actually be that stable until Invincible, at the earliest. Luke retraining Ben so that he'll be a proper Jedi apprentice would be a nice way to keep Luke occupied for a book or so, but considering having Ben and his misadventures is the trend of the series, I doubt they'd go for the father-son training routine, even for one book. I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but... not much hope left by this point.

15. Master_Caedus

Master_Caedus Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2007
    Unless there is something that I have yet to read, why is no one suggesting Luke be the one to find out Jacen is the killer of Mara in Revalation. Ben has already 95% decided that Jacen is the killer and willing to go to very drastic measures to kill him only stopping out respect or fear of what is dad says. To me that seems the most logical thing.

16. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Master_Caedus
    Unless there is something that I have yet to read, why is no one suggesting Luke be the one to find out Jacen is the killer of Mara in Revalation. Ben has already 95% decided that Jacen is the killer and willing to go to very drastic measures to kill him only stopping out respect or fear of what is dad says.

The reason we're discussing Ben instead of Luke is that the blurb for Revelation says that BEN finds out the truth about his mother's death. Most of us are agreeing with you that Ben already seemed to KNOW that it was Jacen by Inferno. Now we have to go through Fury AND Revelation before Ben apparently finds out the truth that he already seemed to KNOW in Inferno. That's why many of us are rather annoyed by this news. Del Rey seems to be stretching this out WAY too long!

17. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    I agree that the plot is stretch way too long. :(

18. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    You know I am hoping with Luke its a case of denial, he is freaking Luke Skywalker Jedi Grand master for stangs sake!!! This is all my opion of course but at the end of Inferno i kind of got the impression that Luke suspected Jacen of Mara's murder but didn't even want to allow his mind to even think it due to what happpend with the sith witch

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    You know what? I really think you're onto something there. Considering that the series has been far more disjointed from author to author than any of us would like (or, in some cases, than logically makes sense), Fury seems like it's the last opportunity for anything, anything at all about Nelani to resurface. And it seems like something that Allston would bring back up. In all honesty, has Alema been the only exception to the rule? Her resurfacing in Tempest seemed like the reemergence of a Denning character, but then she went on to be in Exile and Sacrifice. I'm actually far less of a pet-character-criticizer than most, but Turr Phennir's unexplained absence from the last two books was awful.

As this is Allston's last book in the series, I totally expect some of his plotlines to reach their conclusion. Nelani could be discovered, Turr Phennir could lead a military campaign, Wedge's children could star, and Matric Klauskin could even come back to lead one final strike (or redeem himself, with Lumiya's control of him likely ended). Could we even see... the return of those Jedi Knights from Betrayal?

20. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    There's a difference between knowing something and being able to prove it to the galaxy. If Ben moves past vengence and to justice, he's going to need proof to take down a sitting Chief of State, especially if there are others claiming that they killed Mara (Lumiya, though she lied, but Alema Ra is crazy enough to say she did it, and they have the fact that her specialty is poisoning).

This is a promotional blurb, so they'll go with what sounds the most dramatic.

21. StaryKnight

StaryKnight Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2006
    What about after this series then?

22. luec3493

luec3493 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    the thing is that ben believes that jacen killed his mother. Remember no one realizes yet the jacen is a sith lord in story. so I am assuming thaten founds out that Jacen did in fact kill his mother and the fact that his cousin is infact a dark lord of the sith in book 8

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    What do you mean by after LotF? Do you mean do I have any hope left for post-LotF books? Or do you mean what I think might happen to Ben and his training after LotF, if Luke (or anyone competent Jedi master for that matter) retrains Luke during LotF?

If you mean the first, when the information about the next series starts to emerge, then we'll see if there's any hope (though that depends heavily on whether its another crisis that could spell the end of the galaxy). If its the second, even if Ben gets a proper Jedi education- that education can last anywhere from one-three books (the remaining length of LotF) to easily another four, five years in in-universe time, as I don't think Jacen and Jaina was formally Knighted until Destiny's Way during the NJO, right? And Jaina was still training under Mara too, I think, near the beginning of the NJO, then trained under Kyp Durron a little after her short darkside visit, despite all the years she spent at the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. So, basically, what I mean is that even if Ben is properly trained during LotF, then he can still have random adventures during and after LotF too.

And unfortunately, Alema seems to be the major exception to the pet characters rule of LotF, which is really sad, as she's the most annoying. Then again, I guess they need to keep the heroes busy with someone who isn't strong enough to kill people (like Jacen is), but is just annoying and spiteful enough who just won't die and is always able to escape. At first, it seemed like she was another Denning pet character, but now she's everywhere.

Jag might count, as I'm not sure if he ever appeared in Sacrifice even once, then again, a lot of important characters were neglected in Sacrifice, but considering his large presence in Exile, and how he often appeared in general NJO books, he probably doesn't count.

24. StaryKnight

StaryKnight Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2006
    ^^Neither. You said you didn't think that there wasn't enough time for Luke to restart Bens training during LOTF, and I was asking if you thought it was possible for him to do it after LOTF is over assuming that Ben doesn't fall and Luke doesn't die?

25. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Oops, sorry to misunderstand your meaning. Well, after LotF, there should be plenty of time, as I seriously doubt Ben is anywhere near to being declared a Jedi Knight considering how his "apprenticeship" to Jacen went. Maybe a nice simple, father/son adventure with Luke and Ben on some planet, sorta like Survivor's Quest was a (sorta) nice Luke/Mara adventure. Would've been better if Mara was still around, but that's another subject.

Of course, that's assuming Luke doesn't die, but Ben probably won't fall as he needs to have kids which will eventually lead to Cade, of course. And hopefully, Ben doesn't need to lose another parent, he's already gone through a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.