main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force: Inferno Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Pfeh. Legacy is hardly a rehash of the old EU. It compares to nothing. And if it does, it's so utterly different at the same time.

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The thing about Legacy is that it is a rehash of certain themes in the Star Wars Universe but the stories are fresh. Legacy feels like a natural and very creative end result of LOTF. It may destroy what Luke created in the NJO but if Cade is redeemed the name goes on. Skywalkers-3 Sith-0. This is my hope anyway but not before many more satisfying issues.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, the EU hasn't given us much about the 2000-1500 BBY period, right? Is this era at all open to the possibility of the Sith "ruling the entire galaxy" at some point?

Or is it earlier? Was it possible to say that the Sith ruled the galaxy somewhere between 5000 BBY and Revan's time?

4. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    There are only few events and characters placed between Darth Ruin(circa 2000 BBY) and the Battle of Mizra(1466 BBY) when it comes to the Sith, mainly the Dark Underlord. But he is a vague character, untouched by fiction. But there is no hint of the Sith ruling the galaxy, and what we have makes it very unlikely - I would prefer to say impossible, but better to be careful. Constant war, but the Sith were not in as good a position as after the Battle of Mizra, and the Old Republic probably was in control most of the territory it had before Phanius fell and became Darth Ruin and re-established the Sith. It would nice to see more of this era, the pre-Bane years, and what the Sith controlled in different points of the New Sith Wars.

What comes to the time between 5000 BBY and Revan's time, the answer is simply no. Freedon Nadd just ruled Onderon and Exar Kun's Sith were defeated quickly. So, either Palpatine used artistic freedom in his declaration, or he was referring to the years 1466-1000 BBY when the Sith Empire controlled larger territory than the Old Republic. Palpatine was certainly the first Sith Lord to control Coruscant - if there never was the "Sith as a Supreme Chancellor for 5 minutes before the Jedi found out" -thing that some fans have put forward to explain what Palpatine said. This is the EU view. Lucas might well said something different.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, for one thing, I hope he's not currently of the opinion that ( disregarding the EU, of course ) the Sith were ruling the galaxy around 1000 BBY, which IIRC was said in one of his quotes from a few years back. Just because IMO it's too much of a dropoff from "ruling the galaxy" one year to "believed extinct" the next. Although I guess that's what thought bombs are for. :D

I agree that writing it into the 2000-1500 era is a stretch.

The DS ending of KOTOR ( "The Infinite Empire" ) seems like it could work, but it's not the canonical ending.[face_frustrated]

Putting it between Revan and Ruin? I guess that probably doesn't work, even though we know very little about that period... GOTO, in KOTOR 2, predicted in Hari Seldon-esque fashion that the Republic would fall. If that actually happened as described, what would end up in its place? And could it be controlled by a Sith?

Or should we look in the distant past, and assume Palpatine is referring to events unknown to even Galactic historians?

6. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    Unfortunately, R77, I agree with you. I TRULY wish that Legacy had been set at least 500 years after LotF. That way Luke, Leia, and Han wouldn't have failed in their goal of establishing a period of relative peace in the galaxy, and Luke's life's work wouldn't have been destroyed.

Yeah. Now it kind of feels that all of the work done by Luke, Han, Leia, and all of their friends and allies will eventually all be for nothing. That and people are still making assumptions as to certain characters. Like "How many generations are between Ben and Kol?" or "Who was Fel I?" and "How did the Fels get their Force-sensitivity?" and so on. And as we are all aware, any questions about the origins of the Fels tend to stir up shipping wars for the LOTF-era.

I still have not gotten around to purchasing the Legacy comics, and I do intend to get them, but I'm starting to think that setting them when they did may very well have shot the Star Wars post-LOTF era in the foot.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think the authors or some Dark Horse person has said that there's a specifc reason for choosing that particular time period, instead of some other century. So I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be really great eventually.

Though I admit I'm also disappointed that the GA only lasts a few decades as well. Geez, that's... five different galactic governments in less than 200 years, which is kind of ridiculous. Its nice to see old characters like K'kruhk and his Hat make appearances, but... that means K'kruhk has been the witness to two Jedi Purges, which is really kind of depressing.

Oh well. At the Legacy comics' story is interesting. I still don't really care for Alema's visit to the One Sith, especially with how she tricks them, giving flesh-eating bacteria to a member (wonder what happened to that Togorian), but at least we know that they're already active. And I still love her "who is this guy, their bookkeeper?".

Although I wonder if that inclusion was always planned in LotF, or not, and what significance Vectivus' Holocron will have. Its been awhile since we've seen Holocrons... does Luke even have anymore Holocrons?

8. ConservativeSoldier

ConservativeSoldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    You have a hard time forming coherent arguments. We're discussing who's to blame for Jacen's actions. It is inherently impossible for G'vli G'sil, Cal Omas, Cha Niathal, Vergere, or Lumiya to be responsble for Jacen's actions.

Only Jacen can be responsible for them, in as much as they are his actions. The terrorist incident on Lorrd in Betrayal is a classic example.

You obviously seek to blame others for Jacen deciding to sacrifice an innocent life to stop a terrorist. That's fine. That's your view (albeit misguided). But the fact of the matter is that Jacen decided to take that person's life. Jacen rationalized it because he wanted to rationalize it.

All of you. All of you that blame anyone other than Jacen are attempting to abrogate personal responsibility.

Jacen is a 31 year old adult. And some of you still think Han and Leia should be changing his diapers at 31. It's silly.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Jacen Solo's actions are not a force of nature....rather they are brought forth by the deliberate will of a single person, so therefore containing it and assigning someone to be responsible for containing it will never make any sense.

Perhaps you could blame Luke or Leia somewhat for not showing him a better method for handling the circumstances, but ultimately Jacen is the one controlling Jacen.

10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Nobody145
    I think the authors or some Dark Horse person has said that there's a specifc reason for choosing that particular time period, instead of some other century.

Some people now speculate that the reason Legacy was set less than 100 years after LotF was to make the revelation that Hett is still alive seem more plausible. If that *IS* the reason, I think it's a very poor reason for wrecking the SW galaxy AGAIN and the life's work of Luke, Leia, and Han. I would be very annoyed! Any character could have Krayt. In fact, Krayt didn't even really need to be anyone we know. OR, if Hett WAS so important, it could have been a descendant of Hett's. Personnally, I didn't even know who Hett was until I read all the posts on the boards about him near the time when the reveal was made. So I certainly HOPE that Hett wasn't the reason for the placement of Legacy so soon after LotF. Not only does this leave the Big Three with no legacy, but it really does tie the hands of future novel authors as the future of the galaxy and some of the characters is already set in stone, so to speak. :(

Though I admit I'm also disappointed that the GA only lasts a few decades as well. Geez, that's... five different galactic governments in less than 200 years, which is kind of ridiculous.

Exactly!

Its nice to see old characters like K'kruhk and his Hat make appearances, but... that means K'kruhk has been the witness to two Jedi Purges, which is really kind of depressing.

I also find it rather depressing that K'kruhk is still alive but so many other characters from the post-RotJ era and their children and grandchildren seem to be dead. :( It doesn't seem right that a PT character is alive while so many younger characters AND their children and grandchildren are not. :(

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

I agree, Legacy is too close to LotF for my tastes. That being said if you skip it your missing something pretty special. The Legacy comics are very good.
    As for the force sensitivity, who says that force ability is limited to being hereditary? If old republic jedi had no families how did they get new recruits? Someone could be force sensitive even if their parents were not. I think the idea with the Skywalkers is that the Midiclorian count was so high it automaticly passed along. I still would have loved for one of the Solo kids to be unable to touch the force, but I'll take what we've got-enjoy it just fine.

12. vergeresvongchild

vergeresvongchild Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    is there a thread for fury yet?

13. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    There is always the main thread for the entire Legacy of the Force series:

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/19365190/p37/?1835

14. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    Whiphids have a very long lifespan. Humans do not.

--HW

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, well, over in the PT forum the same thing is going on with Anakin.
    Anakin isn't at fault for his actions, it's the flawed and arrogant Jedi Order that is responsible. Abrogation of personal responsibility is really popular right now.

16. MadHeretic

MadHeretic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2003
    Yes they do, when we're talking about humans strong in the force. As per canon, the lifespan of a force strong human starts at 200~240 years (twice that of a normal human), and increases depending on how strong they are in the force, upto 300s and even beyond. Even in canon description there is no definite end point, and only the connection between strength in the force is described.

Luke Skywalker, and to an extent Leia (since their father is already dead), are the two human beings in the entire history of Star Wars who could live far, far longer than any other being, save someone like Yoda, by virtue of the fact that as per canon, A. Skywalker had the ultimate level of strength in the force, which Luke shared and Leia comes very close. If anyone in Star Wars is likely to be alive in the Legacy era, it would be those two, but hey, we can't have the most important characters in Star Wars still alive, right? Though logical and meaningful, it'd be much better to have some random useless character like KKKrukkk and his stupid hit running around, right?

17. DarkScythe

DarkScythe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    I think currently Dark horse, Del Rey and Lucas Film want to prentend those are the exception not the rule. And that the humans who live a long time are rare rather they are force strong or not.

So while at one time it may have been true we could expect to see Luke and Leia living 2 to 300 years it's now not the case.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Huh? Where in canon is this said? It's certainly not backed up by the films at all. :confused:

19. DarkScythe

DarkScythe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Alot of the early EU had human characters esp force strong characters living a long time. Empress Teta(at least 175) Vima Da Booda (could possibly just be near human or mixed) 200 and Mother Rell who made it to 300 from Courtship of Princess Leia. Adn then you've got folks on Bakura who weren't force sensitive managing to live to be 150 plus.

The Films never really go into lifespan of the Jedi since we only ever see so few of them.

Dooku at least speaks to the ability of a Jedi/Sith to stay active well into later life.

Obi Wan's appearance could argue against it but it's also possible that's just from living in the wilds of Tattooine.

20. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    The reason seems to have been A'Sharad Hett. Legacy is not too far away in future to make his survival totally unreasonable, but far enough (some think) that most of the established characters would have died. Of course, not placing Legacy farther in the future also gave them some justification in using some of the most well-known and best-loved Imperial symbols still in a instantly recognizable form.

Like I have been said by others, I too don't understand that why it had to be A'Sharad Hett? So far there is no reason why Krayt had to be A'Sharad Hett. To use a PT era Jedi so that he could have a fight with PT Obi-wan, and PT Obi-wan could then be put in the cover of one issue to increase sales seems too farfetched even for me.

If there is some other reason, I sure hope it's good. Or even mediocre one.

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Of course it isn't impossible. Cal Omas for example was guilty of every wrongdoing that was done by GAG until his own arrest. He was the Chief of State and he knew that GAG was doing dirty tricks. Of course he did not know every sorry detail, but he knew pretty well what was going on - and he let it happen. He gave the job to Jacen, and let him continue as a leader of GAG even after he knew that Jacen had personally tortured a prisoner to death. Cal Omas was complicent in the crimes. And everything that was done by his sub-ordinates during his administration was his responsibility. Also Niathal knew what Jacen did, yet she did not act to get him fired and charged with crimes, she allied with him and after their coup made Jacen co- Chief of State! She let a man who tortured a prisoner to death share power with her. So she is as guilty as Cal Omas was. And G'vli G'sil knew and still supported the coup! They share the responsibility for Jacen's crimes. You can't give keys to government to a murderer and a sadist and claim to be innocent for the crimes he later commits!

Personal responsibility is overrated. And people usually tend to think that personal responsibility is something that can be demanded from strangers, but not from themselves, their relatives or politicians they like. It's one of those things that seem so clear to people, "Of course everyone have to be responsible for their own actions", until someone demands that they themselves are held responsible for their own actions. It's like that even in stockmarket: When the shares fall, few investors want to be held responsible for wrong investments, to lose their money, and so they start screaming the governments and central banks to help them and come save them from their own mistakes. And usually they are saved from the worst consequences of their own actions.

Well, Han&Leia probably expect their kids to change their diapers when they are senile 120 or 130 year olds, so it is not so silly.;)

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    We've had one issue and a page of knowing Krayt was Hett. You think everything is going to be instantly obvious as soon as he takes the helmet off?

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Other than the fact that he's Darth Krayt and that he's the one person in the galaxy that's proud to be from Tatooine....

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think Havac meant that the reason they chose this time period wasn't simply because they had Hett become Krayt, I think its more that there are other reasons for this specific time period, other than just to have Hett as Krayt. K'kruhk doesn't really count as a reason for making the Legacy comics only the near future, since as from a relatively unknown species, he could easily live as long as if not longer than Wookies if they wanted to.

Also, they mention Krayt has been in stasis, so he could've stayed longer, another century, if the writers had wanted to set Legacy further into the future. Considering how great the Legacy comics have been so far, I'm hoping for a lot of really good reasons.

And I think the writers have said that Krayt's identity was never going to be that big of a surprise, naming himself after Krayt and all. So hopefully other surprises will be even better.

So, personal responsibility... sure, lots of people had a role in Jacen's choices and his actions, but... you might as well blame Han and Leia for having kids in the first place. If they hadn't had any kids, then the galaxy might be better off. You say personal responsibility is overrated, but does that mean Jacen is responsible for his actions, or its everybody else's fault for not killing him earlier? ...Ugh, never mind, I just don't understand your point of view (I'm not saying its stupid, I just dont' get it, so never mind).

And human lifespans in the Star Wars galaxy always gave me a headache. Some normal people seem to be able to live to about 150, but those are old, slow people. For LotF, they said 60 is the new 40 to justify Han still running at near full speed. The long-lived Force-sensitive humans usually seemed to be extreme cases. Dooku was pushing it already, but that old lady on Dathomir seemed to be holding on through sheer strength of will more than anything else, so she was a special case. And we have Luke dead by the Legacy comics (almost definitely dead), but then again, Luke seems to the type to just willingly and quietly pass away once he reaches his normal human limit, especially as Mara's already dead and hopefully Ben will be competent by then.

25. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    Not sure if this has been posted else were and I can;t find the fury thread but a suposed new blurb for Fury has popped up at the site that can't be named

The civil war is growing bloodier and more complicated. At the Wookiee homeworld, Han and Leia Organa Solo are fighting the firestorm set by their son, when out of nowhere they're attacked by the insane former Jedi, Alema Rar. Alema is the prime suspect in the murder of Mara Jade Skywalker, and Jaina Solo, the Jedi, and their allies are determined to hunt her down and make her pay... unaware that they are chasing the wrong target.

On Coruscant, Jacen Solo?now Darth Caedus?is healing from the wounds he suffered at the hands of Ben and Luke Skywalker, but an even greater injury plagues him: the defection of the love of his life and mother of his child: Queen Tenel Ka. In his bid to rule the galaxy, he has lost everyone he ever loved?except his daughter?and he will make sure Tenel Ka cannot turn her against him....

As Luke Skywalker faces his grief and the guilt of having killed the wrong person in revenge for Mara Jade's death, a plan to destroy Jacen is unfolding deep in space.

Nothing really new I know, well apart from Alema making her move of Leia and Han

But whats freaking pissed me off, looks like Luke is back in grief mode again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.