main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force: Inferno Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    A single line? I think you exaggerate. But I don't see how Karrde not leaping onstage to deliver a eulogy doesn't mean he wasn't present at the funeral.

2. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wedge Antilles? Tenal Ka? Boba Fett? Kyp Durron? Almea Rar? Lumiya? Zekk? Jag Fel? Cha Niathal? Cal Omas? Corran Horn?

In any case, unlike the NJO, this was billed as a much more personal series. The war isn't the main part, it's simply a backdrop to Jacen's descent, and how it affects his family.

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    This series isn't about Jacen, and not really about his family either except the Skywalkers and now also to some extent, Tenel Ka. This is about both milking money from fans by recycling the PT, and destroying what is left of the NJO series. The Solos haven't really been affected by his fall except that Jaina got thrown out of the GA military of which she hadn't really been member for years before the new conflict - that is the total sum of ways that it has affected her so far, although the loss of one lust-toad later in the series seems likely at this point - and Millennium Falcon had to be repaired after the events in Tempest.

Their son's fall has not really affected the Solos beyond that, as they really never paid much attention to either that fall or death of the Noghri bodyguards that was caused by it. Well, there was Mara's death, of course, but their reaction was rather subdued to it. Luke's death trick affected Leia far more than all the things her son has done so far in the entire series. They are just being made to fly around, go through their tired adventure motions, without at any point being really affected by the events. Few lines of lame dialogue doesn't change that.

Jacen's descent is basically a subplot in the series. Lame excuse for it, at best. He is not the main character. He is not even much of main villain, as he is not a credible threat to the heroes. Ben is being build to be a future main character, he is getting more and more powerful as Jacen is in the process of being thrown to the garbage bin. Part of getting rid of the NJO, Potentium and all that. One good example of this is the brief time Ben spends in the Embrace of Pain and how he handles it even better than Jacen did. In one short scene Inferno basically destroys Traitor. Jacen was supposed to be a special case because of his experience in that book, his survival something that even Kyp "I am better than Luke Skywalker and I have never liked Jacen" Durron thought hard to understand, but in fact his little 14-year old, badly trained cousin is better than him. Ben is also claimed to be a more powerful than Jacen, who in the NJO times with Jaina was basically on the third place after Luke and Anakin Solo when it came to powerful Force users who were alive.

Luke, even after all he has seen Jacen do through the years, thinks that he is only on the same level as a normal Jedi Masters: Jacen as equal to Streen and Tionne. And this is supposedly something of a revelation to Luke, which really implies that he previously thought Jacen to be weaker than that. Already in Sacrifice Jacen got beaten by Mara. At the time when the character should be made more powerful and so more dangerous and convincing villain and opponent to the "heroes", he is made far lesser than he was before. One could defend it by claiming that Light Side of the Force is more powerful than the Dark Side etc, but when it comes to the plot, it doesn't make sense: How powerful threat is a Sith Lord who has now been beaten by Mr Skywalker, Mrs Skywalker and Skywalker Junior? And has been succesfully mislead by Alema Rar... So, instead of being build up for the series finale, Jacen is being weakened. Which would be odd, if the supposed main plot of the series would mean anything except being part of the burying of the corpses of NJO, Potentium and Jacen Solo.

I expect Jacen to be even more like a shallow, weak cardboard villain in future books and Ben to continue his elevation to be the next - and third - new Luke Skywalker. When he eventually gets to be the New Main Hero sometime after LotF, I doubt that any traces of NJO series is to be seen in those books.

4. Lord-DarthMerrick

Lord-DarthMerrick Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    I think people still underestimate Jacen. He killed Mara despite being led into a fatal trap. He survived Luke Skywalker and certain death at kashyyk when the Anakin Solo was trapped. He's shown to be a survivor and that I believe is a foreshadowing of his killing of Luke Skywalker in revelation.

5. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Luke will not die in a paperback novel.

Jacen survived only because Luke acted like an idiot and later Jacen was lucky. Those things had nothing to do with his own abilities, but decisions made by others, decisions he could not himself influence.

Jacen is shown to be a serial loser in LotF. He isn't, or never has been, really a major or convincing threat. He can cause lots of carnage here and there, but he has never looked like he could win. The "heroes" could take him down any time they want, but to prolong the series, different weak excuses have been invented to explain why they don't do this. In Invincible they will then kill him - as Denning writes it, the battle where he will be killed will probably be rather sort, with him causing little real trouble to the heroes (probably he will have some trick that seems for a fleeting moment to give him the victory, but that will be half a page at most) - and so the series will end without any surprises or any plot event that could be accused of being original.

6. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Agreed.

7. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I agree also. TUF was the perfect ending for this era of the EU. They should have picked up again when Ben was 30. When people say they don't want a EU restart it's really not true, because they are getting that anyway, by trashing everything Luke and his family ever did. The galaxy is about where it was when Palpatine took over. So nothing they did ever mattered. I feel cheated.

8. StaryKnight

StaryKnight Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2006
    I'm sorry. I thought this was called "The Official Inferno Discussion Thread" not " The Lets all complain about what a crappy job the authors are doing and rip on everything they do and be as depressing as we can be Thread".

9. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    We can't help it.

10. StaryKnight

Nov 12, 2006
    ^^TRY. Cause its getting annoying.

11. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    ^I'll try[face_blush] . But it's so hard. This is the only spot where we can post mean sentences about LotF with spoilers and not get nailed.

12. StaryKnight

Nov 12, 2006
    Geez, when is that spoiler ban going to lift?

13. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    Blogs exist for a reason.

Oh come on, use your common sense.

--HW

14. LittleZion

LittleZion Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2006
    :) expression's freedom is a big challenge sometimes here...
    I think we can exchange idea on the book, the author's work no ?
    I don't see agression by member about authors... I see only bad atmosphere [face_plain]
    Maybe I'm wrong... Fortunately I love TF.net ^__^

Sorry I'm french so my english expression isn't good. I think about the history not the authors' constraints. (time, pages ect...)
    I think Ben's feelings would have simply been able to be more expressed. (I'm a fan of Ben) It is pertubant for me to see him so without reflection about what he intends to do. Even if he thinks about Mara... and betrayals, Jacen is his cousin and a person who gave him so much. They had a special link. So maybe I'm wrong about Ben and he has a real Sith's profil or memory's problems (cause Jacen too XD). But all this is only my thoughts...

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    QFT

Little Zion, you can speak English a lot better than I can speak French!

16. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    Yeah, well, over in the PT forum the same thing is going on with Anakin.
    Anakin isn't at fault for his actions, it's the flawed and arrogant Jedi Order that is responsible. Abrogation of personal responsibility is really popular right now. [/quote]

QFT=D=

17. trstno1

trstno1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2007
    Hey, I'm new here, and I apologize if this has already been mentioned, or if I'm posting in the wrong place.

What the heck happened to R2? I mean, the droids aren't in this series much, and the one time they show R2, he gets loaded into a Xwing destined for vaping. Did that Xwing really blow up or was it a force vision. I know Luke survived and got onto the star destroyer, but what happened to R2?

18. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    He survived - it was mentioned he was preparing the ship that Ben and Luke were to escape on.

I was a bit confused about how he survived as well, but you just have to remember that it's Luke 'Freakin' Skywalker

19. jedicorsair

jedicorsair Jedi Knight

Sep 2, 2007

LOL!

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wait, so how did Luke get aboard anyhow? At the time I thought he ejected and somehow found his way onto the ship, and that R2 was toast.

21. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I'm not convinced that X-wing ever actually existed. Jaina lost track of him for a minute in the battle... and then he was back, all of a sudden. Force Illusion hardcore, anyone? *quirked eyebrow*

That or McEwok might be a little right. Luke did die. And didn't. Stranger things have happened, you know...

- Keralys

22. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    Rouge77

Date Posted: 7:02pm Subject: RE: The Official Legacy of the Force
    Rouge77 just posted this in another thread

Discussion thread - Date Edited: 7:03pm (1 edits total) Edited By: Rouge77
    This brief summary of Revelation was found by a poster on another site:

In his new mantle as Sith Lord, Jacen Solo's dark powers reach a peak as he continues to crush opposition across the warring galaxy and bring his dream of a new order closer to fruition. But those who once fought at his side now turn against him, and as his unexpected enemies rally to the confederacy, Ben Skywalker discovers the full and terrible truth of how his mother died.

It is at least on Amazon.co.uk
    and Random House's own bookshop, rBooks.

23. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Jacen already reached a power 10 years before he could never reach again. Luke still doesn't realize how powerful he can be.

24. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Sue confirmed in the TOS VIP Thread that that summary was accurate. No surpise about Ben not finding out the truth behind Mara's death until Revelation(at least to me). I was wondering if him or Luke would even find out before Invincible.

25. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Judging from that spoiler, it means that in Fury Luke succeeds in brain washing Ben with the idea that Alema killed Mara. Terrific:rolleyes: .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.