The Official Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    I wouldn't be bothered if I was wrong. I'd actually look forward to being surprised. But if it is the case that they kill Luke...be prepared to see signs and stickers on the books in the stores that say "The Exciting Final Chapter for Luke Skywalker"..."Luke Dies!" Because this book will sell millions of copies to uninitiated masses...and the stores will want to be SURE that people know EXACTLY which book it is.

Which is why I would conclude having Luke on said cover makes pragmatic marketing sense.

Maybe the cover is a ruse to throw us off...but I think that might be giving us too much credit, and discounting the impact of Luke's death to popular culture at large.

I honestly think if he does die, LFL might have a press conference on it prior to release...say on May 25, the thirtieth anniversary of ANH...and all our "spoiler proofing" will be for not.

I could be wrong...I could live with that...I would welcome that...but I don't think I will be.
  2. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nope, not Luke. If they were going to kill him off, it would be the last book in the series, not the one in the middle. Besides, a lot of people would stop reading after that.

My bet is Mara. That way, it will split Luke and Leia apart for a while as Luke deals with his grief. Plus it might push him much darker.
  3. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think that Luke is at a stage where even the murder of his wife would not make him become darker. It would certainly cause terrible grief to him, but after all he has gone through and because of what he has become - he should be now basically what Yoda was in PT and Obi-wan in ANH, an elder sage - I think that he could accept it and continue to do what is necessary without getting lost in his personal sorrow. What I mean to say is that he probably could control his emotions and accept the loss of loved ones as a fact of life without losing his faith in what he is doing.
  4. Darth_Sparhawk Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think that, on the contrary, it will boost the sales. it is pervert, but people are very interested when their heroes go down. Even in reality...
  5. Bringbacknom Jedi Knight

star 1
    is everyone agreed that in no way it's going to be jaina then?

she said in bloodlines that 'jacen was going to break [her] heart' or something.
    in exile jag's thing about her having a destiny.

but they'll fight - you've got to have the much awaited twin battle.

so i reckon there's too much hanging on jaina for her to be it
    plus it would only leave jacen alive (or not if you still believe Anakin's alive :-S).
  6. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    I doubt they'd throw away all the Solo kids -- that's why I'm convinced Jaina is safe.
  7. AnnLouise Jedi Knight

star 3

I agree - if we had a book coming up that killed of Luke Skywalker, we'd be getting a big publicity ramp-up to the event. Also, since the big speculation everywhere is on Harry Potter this summer, if he lives or dies, LFL wouldn't want their big character death getting drowned out.
    Also, what better way to create interest in this series than the possibility that one of the big three dies?
  8. correllian_ale Jedi Master

star 4
    I think any of the major choices:

Luke
    Leia
    Han
    Jaina
    Ben
    Allana
    Tenel Ka

(even Threepio & Artoo to a lesser extent)

Each one of them has merits, and greater potential to serve the story better with their death. If one dies, especially of the Big Three; I won't be disappointed - as long as I feel a sense of loss in that moment. That's what I really hope Ms. Traviss can pull off. Any one of them would be a good choice in my book.

Well, actually if Han dies, he has to take The Falcon with him. No offense to Jaina or Leia, but with Chewbacca gone, I don't want to see anyone else "inheriting" her. ;)

9. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Good idea!

Although I hope it's not Han. He has and always will be my favorite character. I'm afraid I might loose interest in the Legacy time period if he's not in it anymore. :(

On another note: I'm surprised Traviss was asked to write this particular novel. Whenever her books come out (and with her RC books especially), a massive flame-war always erupts (and not just on this site). Why would LucasLiscensing choose an already-controversial author to write what is bound to be a controversial novel?
  10. correllian_ale Jedi Master

star 4

Controversy Creates Cash...
  11. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    Controversy creates alliteration
  12. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Han going out with it would be fine. But if he doesn't, it totally needs to go to Waroo.
  13. StaryKnight Jedi Master

star 4
    Why do you think they would have greater potential if any of them died? Is it because you think they have nothing left to contribute or even do in the galaxy anymore or that you just feel that this kind of story calls for the sense of tragedy the NJO had when Chewie and Anakin Jr. were killed off?
  14. StaryKnight Jedi Master

star 4
    Why would loseing Mara split Luke and Leia up? There technically already split up.
  15. Sand_Hill Jedi Knight

star 2

She's the newest writer to SW. Maybe Denning and Allston declined to write it.
    Also she lives Overseas, far way from any death threats. assuming personal safety was an issue concerning this particular novel.
  16. StaryKnight Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, there are just as many angry SW fans overseas as there are in the U.S., you can be sure of that.
  17. Darth_Lex Force Ghost

star 4
    For one thing, the first story conference for LOTF was held in early 2005. Presumably the major event in Book Five was planned at that time, when there was no way of predicting that Harry Potter book seven would be released the same summer.

Besides, LFL doesn?t seem to mind competition for publicity. AOTC was released within weeks of Spiderman in 2002, and didn?t outsell it.

Not to mention, how fascinating would the water-cooler and school-yard discussions be if Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter die within eight weeks of each other? [face_mischief]

Because that already-controversial author has proven that she has a thick skin and doesn?t let a small number of malicious fans affect her participation in the EU. Many authors would have walked away from SW after the three-million-clones debacle. So if you?re going to kill a major character, who better to write it than someone with a track record. ;)

Because there is nowhere for a story to go when the heroes are omnipotent and invincible, which is basically what the Big Three have become. The new Jedi Order can?t evolve when Grand Master Skywalker is still there to make all the tough calls. Politics can?t evolve as long as Princess Leia is still around to swoop in and strike a compromise to avert disaster. The bad guys can?t succeed as long as Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon can show up to outwit and outfly them. I wouldn?t change everything at once, naturally, but moving on in the storyline is a good idea, IMO.

In addition, new characters can?t develop if they?re always living in the shadow of the Great and Powerful Heroes of the Rebellion. Ben has tremendous potential, especially now that he has to deal with the implications of having been an unintentional apprentice to a Sith. And if Jacen does kill Luke, the Jacen-Ben dynamic going forward would be incredible. Jaina has great potential as Sword of the Jedi too, but she can never take the lead against the Sith so long as Luke is in the picture. And Jacen?s fall to the dark side isn?t nearly as interesting if we can just count on Luke to jump in and redeem him like he did Vader. If Jacen kills Luke, everyone else?s story becomes more interesting, not less ? how do Ben and Mara cope? how does Jaina step up to oppose the Sith? how do Han and Leia react? what does Tenel Ka do when she finds out? who leads the Jedi? will Jacen be redeemed, and have to live the rest of his life with the burden of what he did ? and how will the rest of the family deal with him? or will Jacen be killed to end his threat ? and how will the family cope with that?

To me, all of those questions are far more interesting than any storyline that can exist if the Big Three live happily ever after.

It?s because I think tragedy and major character deaths are a fundamental part of the mythic, epic storylines that define Star Wars. None of the six movies has an unconditionally happy ending. The Rebels win ANH, but Obi-Wan dies. The Empire wins ESB, Luke has lost a hand, and Han is captured and sealed in carbonite. The Rebels win ROTJ, but Anakin Skywalker dies. The Jedi win TPM, but Qui-Gon dies (and Palpatine becomes Chancellor). The Sith win AOTC (because the war has begun), and Anakin has lost an arm. The Sith win ROTS, Padmé dies, the twins are orphaned, Obi-Wan flees into exile, and Anakin becomes Darth V
  18. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    You honestly believe the death of Luke Skywalker would be undercut by Harry Potter?

If anything, the press will go to town about how it's the "summer of death" in literature.

Despite the Harry Potter syndrome...if Luke dies, the world will mourn and be outraged...Superman times 1,000, I can feel it.
  19. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    True. They are physically apart but they haven't had a fight or split due to issues within the family. However, if Jacen kills Mara, I think, for a time, Luke would be less than understanding and it might make it difficult for Luke and Leia to be a family unit at a time when they will need to be. However, I don't think it would last long, though.

It's just speculation. I'm not married to the idea..
  20. Sabrajaguar Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I really dont see a Major problem if Luke or Mara Dies simply because they wont really be dead.

Shadows of Mindor, Tantoieen's Gost, Alliegence, OutBound Flight, all stared DEAD characters. The Characters from the movies, or from the movie time period simply have 35+ years of backstory.

I dont Think Tenel Ka will die in Sacrifice, because only Denning Seems to write about her and the Hapans. Like Traviss Writes about Boba Fett. And Aarson Writes about Wedge.

Like wise Aarson and Denning focus on Han and Leia more than Travis ever did. So I doubt she would bother killing them anyway. Besides as someone already said the Solo family has taken too much crap already Its time for the Skywalkers "to take it in the eye" so to speak.

Im not really anticipating this novel all crazy like, not like I did SBS and Traitor. Im Just not a Fan of Mando's, and or by extent Traviss all that much. In all truth I'll probably skip all the mandalorian parts the first time around.
  21. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    By the same argument, they aren't alive either because they are simply works of fiction.

Death is meant in terms of "continuity in the universal timeline". Someone who has never been alive in reality certainly can never "die". And of course the big 3 will always have new stories like Mindor...but the death puts a "finite" close to his window...from that time forward, it's a character of fading impact. A reason why Luke appears in "Legacy", I have no doubt, is to assure fans that Luke Skywalker is not vanished from their universe...but that won't last forever.

Will it be a problem if Luke dies? no.
    Will it be a trauma to fans of all ages and levels? OH YES.
  22. StaryKnight Jedi Master

star 4
  23. Darth_Lex Force Ghost

star 4
    It's not just what I think as my personal opinion. It's also a common theme of all epic, mythical tales. It's why Obi-Wan has to die in ANH, and Yoda has to die in ROTJ. It's why Dumbledore has to die for Harry Potter to become the Last Great Hope. It's why Gandalf has to be separated from Frodo for most of LOTR. New heroes cannot rise to the occasion until the old heroes have gone.

It's pretty obvious they meant a Skywalker heir is falling to the dark side and joining the Sith. What else they meant, how close Jacen's fall will parallel Anakin's in terms of gravity of sacrifice (Anakin, after all, killed his wife and tried to kill his "brother") and ultimate fate (redemption, death, or both) isn't so clear. Yet.

Actually, I think it would be a far worse fate for Luke to "retire" into insignificance than to die fighting a Sith Lord. [face_plain] Heroes like Luke don't move to Florida and live out their years on the beach. They keep fighting to the end, and go out in a blaze of glory.

Yes, and ROTS is as much Star Wars as ROTJ. A family destroyed by betrayal from the inside is just as much a part of Star Wars as familial redemption and triumph. You may wish all of SW has happy endings like ANH or ROTJ, but it doesn't work that way.
  24. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Except... we don't HAVE any "next generation" heroes laying about to take over the mantle, the same way you describe with Harry Potter, Frodo and Luke.

Ben's thirteen; a vast difference between Luke's age and Ben's age when they saved the galaxy. Unless you speak of Jaina who looks like she belongs more on One Tree Hill than Star Wars with her plotlines at the moment...
  25. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    GL had Anakin saving a planet at age 9...

I guess I don't have a problem with a 13-14 year old hero.

*I gotta lay off the anime...*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.